Chevy SSR Forum banner

Hop ups?

6K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  Diggs 
G
#1 ·
Has anyone done anything to their SSR yet?

#2 ·
Stereo

I couldn't stand the fact that all the stereo sound comes from the front (those tweeters right behind the seat don't seem to do anything) so I made an appointment with a stereo installer last week to install some 10" subs in the roof compartment. They said that because the steel wall between the seats and roof compartment were ridged for structural support, they could not cut any holes in it. They did determine that the box that contains the tweeters, factory amp and a computer module had enough room for 8" subs, provided they could moved the factory amp and computer module. So on Friday they are going to give it another shot. I've had a bunch of people tell me to just put a bunch (4) subs in the truck bed, but I wasn't really interested in blasting the neighborhood, I just wanted some 'rear' sound.

Reactions: 🇺🇸Prince71
#3 ·
:jester I got some wood strips that are beveled for the bed and plan on staining and installing them to the bed this week. They stick just fine to the carpeted bed once you glue the velcro to the back of them. I think they will look way better than the cheapo factory ones that appear to be some type of vinyl or plastic?

G
#4 ·
i went to a audio shop yesterday they told me they would put a
fiberglass box behind the seats and cut the steel out. i wasnt thinking that it would screw up the support of the roof. they wanted 750$ for the custom box for 10s.
Who said they would put 8s behind the seats?

#5 ·
can't cut steel

Caveman,

I went to Tweeter's (usually I avoid them because they are generally more expensive, but they weren't too bad $1000 for amp, 2 10"s, installation, and custom work). I talked with the installer (not the salesman). Originally he thought he could do the same thing...build a box and cut holes for the 10" inches right behind the seat, but after taking some parts off, he discovered the steel wall has structure ridges in it. He felt that if he cut through the steel I might have problems with the truck flexing and things like a cracked windshield could be the result.

What he is going to try this time is put the 8" subs in the same box as the tweeters are in (so they are not right behind the seat. Of course behind the seat was an option, but I only wanted that as a last resort). When you have the roof cover open (but the roof still up) and you look into the roof storage compartment, attached to the back of the seat wall is a plastic box with two latches. In this box is the factory amp, a computer module and the rear tweeters. This job is going to cost about $1100. Some other quotes I got were from $1500-$2500 and that was for the original plan. I'm also electing to put in some bass blockers on the 6 1/2"s in the door.

Reactions: 🇺🇸Prince71
#9 ·
you guys must like your muisc too much that are willing to cut and drill your SSR.

I am planning for a custom paint job (like the one picture from SEMA) if my wife allows it. I am also building a three car garage to add to my existing 2. Not really to the SSR but for it. :)

#11 ·
waiting

I'm waiting for the SSR back.
I should be picking it up at 5 today.
Probably won't post again until monday, but.....

I talked with the installer about an hour ago and this is what he told me....

He said that he was able to place the factory amp and computer module on the inside of the steel wall under the 'waterfall?' piece between the seats (so he didn't have to lengthen any wires or place the comp mod near the subs magnets). He is going to place the sub amp behind the passenger seat thereby avoiding to have to build anything but the plates to hold the 8" subs in the box. He seemed to think it was going well.

Let you know how it turned out.

#13 · (Edited)
The subs are in!

The 8" subwoofers are in and they sound great. I now have a leather, heated, vibrating seat that takes me places in style.

Here is a picture that shows the subs and the factory amp mounted in between them. What's missing? The box that held the factory amp, tweeters, and a computer module.

Attachments

#17 ·
Computer module

The computer module is now crammed in the fuse box area. There is actually a very nice spot for it right underneath the top of the waterfall, but the wires are not long enough to place it there. If I can find extension cables/wires that I just plug into the end of the existing cables, I will move the module to the waterfall area, but if I can't I will leave it because I don't want to cut the wires to extend them.

The cost $1200. ($80 each for 2 8" subs, $400 for the amp, the rest for installation, wires, and fabrication)

Attachments

#19 ·
I much rather supercharge than get subs but to each our own, eh? Now you have to psot a music file so we can hear the diference. I vote for a jazz (Stan Getz or Coltrane) record.

#21 ·
Which size?

looking4_an_ssr said:
...I'm also electing to put in some bass blockers on the 6 1/2"s in the door.
There is another thread here about the speakers and it lists the door speakers (the larger ones) as a 5 inch midrange.

Which is it? I have not pulled the door panels for an actual measurement yet.

Diggs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.