Chevy SSR Forum banner

Service Brake System

61K views 65 replies 31 participants last post by  Dragon2U 
#1 ·
Okay - I've been getting the "Service Brake System" along with ABS and Brake lights for a while now.

I replaced the ignition switch cuz I could.

Yesterday I replaced the brake fluid.

Lights still come on.

I hooked up the scanner - not a throwing a trouble code.

So what gives???

>>>Rod<<<

#31 ·
ABS light came on!

Mine came on just before I left for my trip NORTH. Gone 6 weeks, 4917.4 miles and the light came on, sometimes. Cruise Control,traction control are in this circuit.
My cruise/traction control worked fine and so did my brakes. Just no "anti skid".

When in New Jersey at BSTPAPA, put on Tech 2, said check grounds. Eric, Bob's Son had his crew redo all the grounds. Didn't help!

When I returned to Walters in New Jersey and we put it on the lift, we did the next phase of the manual and Tech 2 codes. Check connectors and data cable and wheel sensors.

03/04 has two wheel sensors, one on each front wheel. Rear wheels are read by sensor in transmission. Reads drive shaft RPM I quess. This also sends signal to Cruise Control and Traction Control plus speedometer.
(05/06 has wheel sensor on each wheel)

Did all that and still had ABS light. Spoke with Dan Schultz and he suggested dielectric grease on the connectors to insure conductivity.
NOPE!

Back to the Manual - Says "Your Screwed, order a EBCM". I DID!
E lectrnoic B rake C ontrol M odule. This is the PC board that communicates with the PCM. PBMV is other module for Valve. P ower B rake M odule V alve.

I have been told that the valve is a rare failure.

I will post my results after the install in a week or so. Part had to be ordered.

Best Price on EBCM, Marc in Cailf SSRToys

Dicktator

1. Main Ground for ABS. Located on Frame, drivers door, behind front fender.
2. Connector front wheel sensor. Remove, sprayed with contact cleaner.
3. EBCM connector. One for Data Cable other for 12volt power
4. Connector Data Cable. Cleaned and used die electric grease
5. 12 volt power cable, cleaned replaced.

Attachments

#33 ·
Dicktator,
Can't wait to hear your results. Great pics and info. How much was the EBCM? Do you know if yours was just rebuild-able?
I would rather not post a price, not knowing if it has or will change but it was the lowest price on a NEW ECBM.

I understand there is a place in Tenn. that rebuilds them. I want our Florida Electronic "Guru" Ed Borland to look at the old one and see if it is repairable and how difficult is it.

Dicktator

#35 ·
Abs

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE....HAVE BEEN IN CONTACT WITH FOLKS IN TENNESSEE THAT REBUILD THE UNIT...IT IS LIKELY THE INTERNAL RELAY CAUSING THE PROBLEM....COST IS $149.00(PLUS SHIPPING) (LIFETIME WARRANTY)....THEIR EMAIL IS tech@autoecu.com (phone #18669836688.....THIS IS A MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE OPTION......THAN BUYING NEW..ESPECIALLY SINCE WE STILL HAVE BRAKES SO THEIR IS NO INTERUPTION OF THE PERMAGRIN FACTOR....CHUCKSTR

#36 ·
After having mine cleaned up last year, I didn't have the error code for a long time. Recently in the rain or if I hit a hard bump, I will get the error code again.....but it goes away on the next start up, so I won't be doing anything for it until that changes.

#39 ·
My repair with pictures is under Technical, sticky, called ABS BRAKE PROBLEM/PICTURES.

It was, in my case the EBCM which is the electronic half of the ABS System.

Top half, EBCM consist of PC Board and solenoids, bottom half is PBMV which is the hyd part of the ABS.

You can see from my pictures what we did.

GM Tech 2 Scan Tool said "Check grounds First". Did that! No go.
Check all wheel sensors, Did that!
Check/Clean all connectors, Did that!
Change EBCM, BINGO!

Note that the ABS unit is only 5/6 inches from Catalytic converter. Electronic components do not like heat. Converter runs at about 1800 degrees.

E lectronic B rake C ontrol M odule
P ower B rake M odule V alve

Dicktator

1. ABS Brake
2. Unbolt bracket from frame, carefully
3. Data Cable connector
4. NEW EBCM bolt to bottom half, note pins slide into solenoids.
5. NO room to work and if you pull down to much on ABS Brake, you will break hyd lines to wheel cylinders. Which is the PBMV. If that happens, you will need to replace EVERYTHING!

Attachments

#41 ·
I suggest:

Manual says "Check connections first".

If you can get under your R, disconnect, clean, spray w/contact cleaner and replace. The ABS system is located under driver, on frame.

Can take it to Advance Auto, Autozone, have code read.

Maybe EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module) is acting up. Common Problem with our ABS.

Dicktator

#42 ·
I bought the NEW EBCM a year ago, before I learned about MyAirBags.Com in Ga. can do the EBCM repair for $59.00 plus shipping.

Also Dragon2U does the repair for just the cost of mailing.

Anyway, my NEW EBCM is failing already, so I am now of the opinion having the EBCM repaired is BETTER than buying a new one with the built in problem.

Dicktator

#43 ·
I had the ding, ding, ding and service brake system light on. I did a search and found this helpful thread and located the ground wire on the frame, under the drivers door. Took it off, used a wire brush in a drill to clean the frame, wire connector and the bolt. Put it back together and prayed primer on to seal it. I took it for a ride and no dinging and no warning light servicing braking system! I can't thank you guys enough for all this good information that is on this site! I know I saved a lot of $ from reading this thread and the problem was solved quickly! Joining this site has to be the biggest bargain for SSR owners! Again, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

#45 · (Edited)
Had my front brake calipers replaced today because the brakes squeaked really bad! Total price was $245, $124 for calipers, $105 labor and $16.03 sales tax and guess what, no beep, beep, beep came on about "service brake system ". Looks like it killed two birds with one stone! I will let u know if that changes! Ok, it is Miller time! I still have to install Mike's heat shield to help protect the brake modular from the heat of the catalytic converter. Tomorrow for sure!

#48 ·
Repair the ABS module and add Mikes heat shield. If that doesn't do the trick then you have another problem and need to get that fixed. The barkes are nothing to ignore, which is why they put the chime on the alarm.

#50 ·
Dragon2u can repair it for you for the cost of postage (send him a PM) and the heat shield is available from www.sinple-engineering.com

#54 ·
So many things to go wrong and so little time to enjoy. WHY? I drive mine everyday to work but every time I get in I'm always noticing something else going wacko...:crying:
I drive mine everyday, yes, somethings go wrong on a car 12 YEARS OLD and 120,000 miles. That is what I have on mine. It's been to Canada twice.

I have tried to share repairs/upgrades with SSR Fanatics.

For me, part of the FUN of owning a ONE of KIND, Collector Car, is keeping it going or making upgrades that GM didn't.

That is why I created the SSR HOW TO LIBRARY, to help other owners. IT IS FREE!

Link:https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

Attachments

#58 ·
Service Brake System & stability control system disabled

I've replaced the brake fluid on my 2006 tahoe LT 5.3. later lights on dashboard appeared(brake light) and (TC /stability control system) a message also appears says check brake system and check stability system the car runs fine brake is ok no leaking i just did the brake fluid then these lights came out!!!
Any1 can point wer the brake module fuse is?

#61 · (Edited)
Hey mikey, this really works!

I received my ABS module back from Dragon2U yesterday, installed it, and IT WORKS! No brake/ABS codes anymore!

Two dealers checked Ilsa out before and both said that the repair would cost $2,000! I paid $20 in postage and nothing else thanks to the generosity of Dragon2U (thanks tremendously).

The codes indicated that both the module and the pump were defective and needed to be replaced. Just repairing the module fixed the codes.

Dicktator's instructions were extremely helpful in removing the module, but I had a gearhead friend back me up and he helped in a couple spots where I got stuck. Putting it back in was a breeze.

By the way, I also installed Mike's ABS shield so this won't happen again.

#63 ·
i received my abs module back from dragon2u yesterday, installed it, and it works! No brake/abs codes anymore!

Two dealers checked ilsa out before and both said that the repair would cost $2,000! I paid $20 in postage and nothing else thanks to the generosity of dragon2u (thanks tremendously).
No Way !!! What ???

#66 · (Edited)
Even if you buy a NEW ABS/EBCM, you will have the same problem later.
Low temp solder melts next to 1800 degree catalytic converter.
Not quite true. The internal temp of a converter gets super hot, the surrounding areas get hot as well but not nearly as hot as the converter itself. If it did, the plastic case of the ABS, the wiring and everything around it would melt. There are only 3 common areas of poor solder areas. If the external temps were melting solder, it would be in various areas of the unit, not the same ones repeatedly. The solder is not the only problem with these units, sometimes the relay, transistor, or other component fails.

Also, these units are installed on many other GM vehicles and mounted in various locations, doesn't matter where they are installed, all vehicles have issues.

This ABS module is problematic but not 100% of them fail. The dealer unit may or may not fail in the future.

Any idea of where the alarm / speaker or what ever for the ABS / Brake Service SYstem is located?
In the door, the dash ? If I can find it I will cut it out of the system... please... where is it.
The signal for the chime is a serial data signal and goes through the OEM stereo and out the driver side door speaker. To eliminate the sound for the brake and all other chimes in the truck it would need to be programmed into the system or the door speaker simply unplugged. No more chimes or stereo sound......

These trucks are not like the old days of simple relays and chime modules.

#65 ·
Any idea of where the alarm / speaker or what ever for the ABS / Brake Service SYstem is located?
In the door, the dash ? If I can find it I will cut it out of the system... please... where is it.
:smile2:

I love it and understand the frustration. Social engineering and in this case, mechanical engineering it seems we are all confronted with..........Hope you can find the "off" button soon.:wink2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.