Chevy SSR Forum banner

Gas Tank Leak

5K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Scott 0168 
#1 · (Edited)
Was smelling a bit of gas. Checked under the car and it was wet around this piece. I pulled the filler hose off to get a better look. Looks like it's cracked right by the tank.
Question is. Is this piece part of the tank or a separate piece that can be changed out? Is this the ICV valve mentioned in the letter from Chevy?
Pic is posted upside down. Don't know why but don't want to confuse anyone.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Was smelling a bit of gas. Checked under the car and it was wet around this piece. I pulled the filler hose off to get a better look. Looks like it's cracked right by the tank.
Question is. Is this piece part of the tank or a separate piece that can be changed out? Is this the ICV valve mentioned in the letter from Chevy?

Thanks
check with ralph a/k/a QUEST...

#4 ·
I have a letter from Chevy talking about the ICV developing cracks and they will cover repairs up to 15 years after original purchase. I think that is the part in the picture but I just want to verify it before I go to the dealer. It's much better when you are armed with more info than they have. :smile2:
It's leaking like crazy so it's sitting in the garage until I figure things out. No way I'm driving it.

#11 · (Edited)
I know it is TrailBlazer XL frame on ALL SSR's, 03 thru 06 and you are saying they used same frame but changed gas tank in 05/06, WHY would they do that???

Change part number, yes but tank, I would question.

I have a gas tank, real close to you Dingbat. It is lot cheaper than NEW.

Dicktator

SORRY! MR. BYERS IS RIGHT!! 03/04 GAS TANK IS DIFFERENT FROM 05/06. Because of the size on the engine.

#6 ·
I believe that is exactly where the recall says you may see leakage.

Excerpt from the recall referring to the attached picture (full recall too large)

If you need a copy of it:
You could try to run your VIN on safercar.gov
I could try to e-mail it to you -- or maybe someone else can post a link to it.

1) Fuel Tank (2) Inlet Check Valve (3) Weld Zone

Note: Refer to the photograph to view the location of the weld zone, which is between the ICV and fuel tank. Vapor and/or fuel leaks may occur if the weld zone between the ICV and fuel tank is fractured. A fractured ICV could allow fuel vapors to pass through and droplets of fuel to accumulate on the side of the fuel tank as it passes over the fracture during refueling. If the ICV fractures, the vehicle’s Service Engine Soon (SES) light may illuminate, and the owner may notice a fuel odor and/or a few drops of fuel on the ground when refueling the vehicle.

So I would take picture/ video of the fuel leak, call the dealer and have them replace the fuel tank.

Attachments

#7 ·
Wow
All of the other fanatics were posting while I was trying find the information I just posted.
Attached is a screen shot from the recall.

Glad to see from Mike Byers its available

You should be good to go with what you have and what you've been provided
Again you want a copy of the actual recall with the picture - not owners letter you receieved - email me and hopefully it will not exceed limits.

Attachments

#8 ·
What I am gathering.
It is the ICV
The ICV is not a separate part and is part of the tank
To properly repair this the entire tank needs to be replaced.
JB Weld or something similar is not a proper solution.
GM Special Coverage Program 14423 should cover all expenses

Correct??

#9 ·
It is the ICV and it is plastic welded to fuel tank
Special cover should pay for 100% if less then 15 years and 150,000 miles
They figure cheaper to extend warranty then to issue recall that would replace all tanks.
Personally I think it should have had no expiration date or mileage - or replace all tanks.

Email sent with complete procedures

Let us know what you find out from dealer, I personally do not think you will experience any problem.

If any problems at all I would say -- delay in getting in for inspection, delay in getting parts and then finally scheduling work.

#14 · (Edited)
From a previous post:

There is a recall on 04s fuel tank for leaks around the inlet check valve (ICV), ( on tank top), which is prone to fracture.I had mine replaced after I noted leakage after parking up a hill (at no cost). My letter states that my 04 is warranted for this problem for 15 years or 150,000 miles under GM Special Coverage Program 14423. Check with a Chevy dealer.

#15 ·
I'm glad part are now available. I kind of gave up on GM and did several hack repairs over the past couple years. The threaded pipe one worked. Now I will see if I can get the replacement tank as it has that safety valve built in. My hack repair eliminated that. Thanks for posting that parts are available.

Auto part Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system

This was the third attempt using some high dollar marine bonding produce.

Coil spring Auto part Suspension part Suspension Fuel line

This is what I have currently and it is dry as an old bone. I was worried that the fuel would slosh up the filler hose and blow gas out the filler cap but never does.

Auto part Suspension part Coil spring Tire Pipe

Auto part Suspension part Motor vehicle Vehicle Suspension

Thanks, Jerry

#16 ·
My baby is back home. The stomach transplant was a success.
Chevy replaced the tank at no charge.

For reference as I think back. Over the last month or so I had the Check Engine light come on a couple times. Plugged in the code reader and it came up as the code for a loose gas cap. Tightened the cap, reset the code and all was well. Apparently the sensor was reading an issue with the filler neck leak and it probably was not the gas cap. So keep that in mind if you come up with that error code.

Two pics attached. end of gas tank where they popped off the neck and the neck laying on top.

Attachments

#18 ·
The letter from Chevy stated some vehicles may have the problem. If the problem comes up they are fixing things by replacing the tank. 2003 and 2004 models were included.
Scott, did you get the letter? If not then maybe yours was before the bad tanks came in.

#22 ·
For further reference. The old tank in mine had a sticker on it with a part #15105257. The new tank has a #15229310.

I agree with Quest. Fill it up, drive it hard to slosh things around, park on an incline and take a look at the back of the tank. You will see it very easily if it is wet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.