Chevy SSR Forum banner

Plugs and wires

4K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  Light Show 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Holy c%$p, 5 hours and I only have the driver side done. It’s pretty hard to get these pickle fingers in to undo and reinstall. Got the new Accell wire and they are too long. Looks like these will have to go back and I’ll get the AC Delco OEM wires......

B:blue:

#2 ·
For sure it's difficult to get in/out of some of those tight spaces. I'm curious as to what symptoms/conditions prompted you to swap out the plugs and wires.

I've pulled and reinstalled many a set of plugs, along with wires and points/condenser and rotors and sometimes the cap too.

But that was all many years ago. Ignition systems for the last 20-25 years have been so superior to what was previously available, I never even think about those things as needing attention.:|

#5 ·
Bad plugs

I’ve had pugs go bad in my Vette after only 15,000 Miles. I’m guessing that the heat from the surrounding headers caused the problem. Had the same P0308 code go on the Vette, changed the number 8 plug as a test and that solved the problem. Guessing this is a similar issue.
B:blue:

#9 ·
:frown2:

Not sure just which part of the process is causing the most grief. If it happens to be trying to re-insert the new plugs in the hole, an old trick that is often helpful is to (reverse) an old spark plug "boot" and jam it on to the end of the new plug. This will give you additional "reach" and at the same time, some flexibility in getting it all lined up.:wink2:

#10 ·
Just a comedy of errors for me today. 15 minutes or so to get each spark plug boot off, couldn’t figure out how to grab it properly without damaging the wire. Dropped a wrench done near the frame, that took a half hour to retrieve. Couldn’t find the spark plug boot grease. Tried for a while to get the front plug boot off from underneath, gave up on that and promptly proceeeded to cut my hand getting access from the top thru the wire harness and bracket, etc. etc. etc. etc.......

Was going slow to start so I didn’t screw something up. Rushing usually means breaking something for me.....
B

#13 ·
I did mine last year. While I do agree that some are a PITA to get at, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I did buy a set of spark plug boot pliers, and those helped pull the old boots off where I was unable to get my hand. I did have one terminal break.

To reinsert the plugs, I just stick it into the socket with a short extension and use that as a handle. When threading in by hand, it's easy to feel if you're cross threaded or not. Once it's threaded in, I just attach the ratchet handle and cinch it tight.

And yes... I had plenty of cuts and nicks on my hands when I was done. I may not have "pickle fingers", but my hands aren't exactly small either.

#16 ·
I just had my 04 Re-tuned by Jeremy on Wednesday. Mine was the FIRST SSR Jeremy ever tuned.

He re-tuned mine about 5 yrs ago and just did it again.

It was off from last tune by 10% REALLY runs good now!! As it gets OLDER, like me, tune changes!

Electrical is good, no leaks, no missing, no errors.

So, I won't be changing my PLUGS/WIRES for a while, besides I ONLY have 132,000 miles on them!

My Tech2 says all is well, Not Broke, Don't Fix it!!

Dicktator

#17 ·
Dental floss..........

Anytime I am working in or above a tight place,(just about anywhere under the hood on the SSR) I tie a piece of dental floss to the bolt or small wrench. You may not be able to get it out but at least you know where it went.

Jack

#19 ·
Are you serious?! Has anyone else done this? If so, is it really worth the time? I know on some old cars going through the A arm opening made it easier. Mine don't need plugs this minute but things change.

Nick

#20 · (Edited)
Bobo
I'll add a little info I gleaned from chasing a P307 on the Flame truck, which turned out being a mis-firing plug on a very low mileage R as well. Came across a TSB from GM recommending switching to a 41-962 Double Platinum instead of the original 41-985 Iridium to solve a misfire issue that GM was experiencing. The OEM 41-985 I pulled had a gap of .060 which I believe that was the factory gap for the "early" 41-985 plugs from ACDelco. The recommended gap is .040 for the R and at the time of that particular TSB, I don't think there was a Delco Iridium plug with the correct specs that had a preset gap of .040. Re-gapping Iridium plugs is not recommended. Since that first TSB, Delco came out with the 41-110 which is an Iridium plug gapped at .040 and is what now shows up as the recommended replacement for the 41-985.

Good luck on solving your P308, I truly believe that my P307 was related to too large of gap on the OEM 41-985 for the coils packs used on the R. First time I ever had any problems with ACDelco plugs on any of our vehicles.

#24 ·
Did Plugs on the the :yellow: R last year when I had a clogged fuel injector. Replaced everything while I was in there, including the coils, wires, plugs, & Fuel injectors. Did not know anything about the real history of the R since I bought it from a dealer. Figured I wanted to do everything while I was in there, my time is more precious than parts, Didn't want to have to do anything twice.
Passenger side against the firewall was the only one really difficult, used a double ratchet swivel to get the length to the right place where I could rotate it about 3 clicks of the ratchet with each turn. Once I trial and errored the right combination of tinkertoys to get the length and angles right, It was about 10 min to get the plug out. Rest were quicker, still was half a day, mostly figuring out tool selections.
Cary
On the :yellow:

#25 ·
Well I have good news and bad news...............

The passenger side took only about 3 hours to complete. But now I’m showing a P0304 code. Pretty sure I probably cracked the ceramic housing on the plug when putting it in with the wrench at a big angle.

Oh well at least it’s not number 8.

Order more plugs and try it again.

BTW gaps on the plugs was a bit over 0.040 but not much.
B

#29 ·
By my calculations my plugs and wires are good. That is based on the following calculations.

I have 40,000 miles on her and put about 4500 miles a year on her. Plugs should be good for 100,000 miles or more so that is 60,000 miles to go and at 4500 miles a year that will be 13 and a half years. I am 75 years old now so in 13 and a half years I will be 89 years old. I will either be too old to drive the SSR or dead by then so like I said my plugs are good. My Wifey's Pontiac has 175,000 miles on the original plugs and never misses a beat and still gets over 30 miles per gallon.

Anyway figured it was time for some humor.

#31 ·
Hey Dennis, my ratchet is a Blackhawk #34947 and I've had it at least 45 yrs now - still works great and has saved my butt on many occasions!

My Son has moved back, to stay, from South Korea, so it was an amazing Father's Day - hope yours was great as well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.