Chevy SSR Forum banner

Hello

5K views 56 replies 35 participants last post by  CruDawg 
#1 ·
Hi everyone and thanks for the site. This will be a good place to talk about how were going keep our SSR on the road. I im retired and have rented my shop out 35 years was enough for me working on cars . When i started i replaced a lot of spark plugs and rebuilt a lot of carburetors and in the end i spent more time on a laptop than i did with a actual wrench in my hand . Took me about 45 min to fix my junction block when it recently started acting up thanks to info on this site. Found a factory driver side window regulator new in box this morning on ebay $120 so i didnt hesitate to pay now. not for sale btw. going to start buying spares now since i found out nothing is available except rebuilt. Cheers

#39 ·
So many of us have broken that support it's ridiculous, I didn't even know it until I saw the radiator hanging down parked at night in the headlights of the car behind.

I know exactly what you mean about aftermarket parts, I've pulled my hair out many times after the parts store is closed, plus I spent 5 years behind the counter at Kanuika's speed shop listening to irate customers.

On the weight you're thinking in race car mode. Although they can be made much quicker than stock this truck is no race car, reliability, dependability, are the prime objective for a road car. Unless you want it to be known as unreliable to keep the boss from taking it shopping all the time.;)

Everything from Simple Engineering fits and has been tested on Mike's truck and/or some of the Fanatics in his area.

The membership here has learned a lot from some very bright and dedicated people over the years and share this knowledge freely.
But the bottom line is your truck, your money, your choice

#46 ·
Welcome from Middle Georgia

We welcome new members to the family by using this forum to help in any way we can. We also have SSR Rallys all over the country so that we can meet face to face and mainly just talk shop. With that said, you are invited to our Rally here in Warner Robins, Georgia. Home of U.S. Air Force Museum of Aviation, Miss America, 2016 and Little League World Champions, 2007.

Just to name a few. Here is a link to our rally, Hosted by, CruDawg, Light Show and Dr. Who: http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f26/2018-warner-robins-southeast-ssr-rally-219577/

#51 ·
@3 time, you are more than entitled to your opinion. If you haven't already checked out the other threads under the "FORUM" title, do so. Some of are old hotrodders, so you know we are hard headed! Others are just people who love the SSR as is. Most are stone stock, others have changed the Cam, Heads, Rear end gears, Supercharged, I think one Duel turbos. And most of the charter/starters of the "Forum" were employed with GM at the "Lansing Craft Centre" and had HANDS ON of the Assembly, and Engineering. So we trust their opinion and suggestions and consider their parts to be UPGRADES not modifications. If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Nick

#52 ·
:smile2:

Well, you have for sure demonstrated this quote........" “I’m a sarcastic ass hole as well”.

While you're claiming all this knowledge about Vettes and race cars, it's NOT at all clear you have spent much if any time exploring/knowing the background of these unique SSR's.

Why you would (sorta) seem to defend the application of a plastic radiator support that spans the frame rails and attempt to make an off-handed analogy as to the results of a potential crash or whatever........was mindless/baseless.:|

Once you have spent some time, reviewing the history of the SSR and how they used a Volkswagen radiator fan and a A/C/Heat system with controls from some other brand and other odd ball "engineering":surprise: things that were done..........you might just sing a different tune and understand that Mikes stuff and many other after-market offerings are exactly that Better than "stock".

By the way, with a pretty close to 4800 pound "sled" with no body in it, your attempt any significant (weight savings) is pizzing in the wind.:wink2:

#54 ·
Yes, Especially with the top down driving through town with a group of other SSRs when most people in town have never seen one.
Don't take our comments the wrong way, just get to know us. I suspect you will find many of us have been in your shoes in one way or another.

#55 ·
Seems now I’m gonna have to use that driver side regulator I purchased a month ago. Had 1 rebuilt here locally for $175 about a month ago and at the same time I seen driver side New gm part for sale on eBay so I bought it just in case. As for mike from simple engineering I did ask around and he is as u say a class act with good products. Also I’m still thinking about the fix to under hood juction box. I was able to fix mine in about 20 min with the clues I read here but something is bothering me about it and I will update my opinion on that soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.