Chevy SSR Forum banner

Radar tires?

6K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  OLDFATGUY 
#1 ·
Anybody ever use these? They have a RADAR DIMAX R8+ In our STOCK sizes. And even a 315-35-20 as an option. They have a checkered flag sidewall. and they are CHEAP!!!!!! Tried to load a picture, but failed. D

#2 ·
These are rated quite well and have an XL load rating which is good. They are UHP tires with a 320 tread wear so wont last real long but will be sticky.
Company is part of the Omni Group based in Singapore with manufacturing in "Asia" so no idea where these are actually made.
Go for it and let us know how they are.
I have a set of Atturos made in Korea and love them.

#4 ·
:|

Any of you remember/recall the disasters many years ago with using Firestone Tires.:surprise:

Of course there have been other brand problems as well, but my point is although a full set of tires is and can be quite expensive..........Your azz and your passengers azz as well as what could be innocent by standers, are and can be effected by using (No name and/or "off brand" tires).:frown2:

I want to save a buck ( or more) as well as the next guy......but going the "cheap" on a set of tires on a heavy sled like an SSR with a big motor, etc. Maybe it just is NOT where ya wanna try and go low on price and quality.:wink2:

#6 ·
The US made Firestones involved were not cheap tires.
My son worked for Firestone when that was going on. While Firestone was not without fault, Firestone took the hit for Ford. The first generation Ford Explorer could not pass the NHTSA testing as it was prone to loss of control and rollovers in emergency maneuvers. They had two options, lower the vehicle with shorter springs, widen the track, both required major costly redesign. Ford discovered that lowering the tire pressure from 35 to 26 psi lowered the vehicle and improved the stability and ride passing the govt tests. The lower pressures reduced the fuel mileage so Ford reduced the roof structure and lightened the suspension raising the center of gravity even more. When the tires failed the vehicle was so unstable that drivers lost control rolled and the roof collapsed injuring or killing the occupants.
Ford convinced Firestone to warranty the tires at this lower pressure although the lower air pressure was not recommended by Firestone. The tires were manufactured in Firestones IL facility which had labor, quality and inspection issues.
The lower pressure resulted in excessive sidewall flexing of the tires and increased temperatures. In warmer climates the higher temperatures caused extreme internal temps degrading the tire structures and eventually resulting in belt and tread separation.
Ford redesigned the Explorer in 2002 and raised tire pressures to 30 psi. Firestone redesigned the tires in 2000. Ford dropped Firestone as a supplier after over 80 years of partnership.
So now you know "the rest of the story"
Since then the US and Europe required any tires sold there meet strict specifications and quality standards. Tire failures due to manufacturing defects are almost non existent now.

#23 ·
Goodyear and Cooper are the only remaining US based Tire Companies. However, Goodyear has manufacturing facilities in 21 countries so you can not guarantee you are getting US made tires. Most of the major foreign brands have manufacturing facilities in the US like Continental, Michelin, Yokohama, Bridgestone/Firestone, General and Pirelli and many smaller brands. Most of Pirellis tires are made in Mexico and Russia!
So, I don't get too worried about buying US when it come to tires because we only haver two choices and they made not be made in the US anyway.

#15 ·
I just purchased four Dunlop tires for another vehicle with annoying brown streaks on the sidewalls. I tried cleaning it off with not much luck so I used some Meguiar's tire dressing that had been given to me and it did a pretty good job of looking nice and covering the brown streaks.

Dave

#30 ·
Spook:
Also had a 69 Z28. Blue/ same white hood stripes as yours. Balanced and Blueprinted 302, Had Dana 513 rear end. Low end screamer, no top end at all. Sucked Gas like you were pouring it on the ground. Nothing would touch it. Ran from a Helicopter chasing me in Miami in 74. Drove through a hedge in someone's yard hiding from the spotlight. When they looked the other way with the lights, moved it to our house under a big ficas tree. Did not move it for a month after that. Had lots of branches and leaves in the front, had to repaint a few scratches.
He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day.
Cary

#27 ·
I really like those Radar DIMAX tires, nearly bought a set from SimpleTire.com, but ended up buying a set of the Atlas Force UHP. I think the checkered sidewall will look great on the SSR! Be sure to buy the road hazard warranty at time of tire purchase as the mounting shop will NOT road hazard warranty the tires unless you purchase from them. SimpleTire has great customer service and are very attentive from start to finish. I will definitely buy my next set of tires from them.

#32 · (Edited)
Fella's a lot of people talking about dressing the tires. I have always used Aerospace Protection 303 on the R with no issues about slinging stuff on the car. It requires frequent application but none the less it keeps them looking really nice without the mess. I found out about 303 on the Hot Rod Power Tour years back when they gave free samples.

#33 ·
I have used Chadwick's for a couple of year's, it lasts a loooong time, doesn't drip or sling off, and even smells great! Makes the tires looks awesome. It's a bit expensive but the bottle lasted longer than a year and I did all the cars in my family numerous times. Only need to apply sparingly. Oh yeah, I also use it under the hood for all the plastic and rubber components and hoses. Makes everything shiny, clean and dries non-oily.
Chadwick's No-Sling Tire Dressing

Carl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.