Chevy SSR Forum banner

Big Boy locomotive and the 150th Golden Spike anniversary

12K views 84 replies 24 participants last post by  Stepchild 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was reading a previous post about model trains and a link to SSR's and it was realized that we have a few railfans in the family. In that thread I incorrectly stated a time and place about the Big Boy locomotive that is being restored. I just happen to be passing through Cheyenne Wy tonight and saw the story about the loco on the news. Today May 10th is the 149th anniversary of the golden spike ceremony in Ogden Utah. Union Pacific is restoring a Big Boy here in Cheyenne and plan to run it to Ogden next year to celebrate the 150th anniversary. So I think that the wife and I will surely try to come back to see the event and wonder if we could organize an informal get together with other R family members that would be interested to watch this historic event. I know it's a year away but I'd like to see if there is any interest from others.

(MODERATOR NOTE: Official info thread for BIGBOY RUN, Ogden, Utah)

#73 ·
So with the few opportunities to chase 4014 I'm wondering if anyone else has similar plans as myself. We plan to chase the day it leaves Cheyenne, the 4th, and then to chase the day it rolls into Ogden, the 8th. Anyone else doing the same?
I’m considering a chase after the event...... on the way back when booth locomotives will be traveling together.

Mike

#75 ·
Good idea, those days offer more viewing than the trip from Cheyenne. We will be chasing that Sunday from Ogden to Evanston. Seeing the two locos together will be amazing and historical.
The train schedule (posted in this thread) indicates that the two locomotives will be “double headed” on the way back to Cheyenne. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime photo opportunity that I won’t want to miss.

The stop in Evanston is an overnight, with departure at 08:00 on Monday. The next overnight stop is in Rock Springs. That is only an hour and a half drive from Evanston, but there are a couple train stops along the way.

Debbie and I are booking Sunday night in Evanston..... cuz we can..... and planning to have lunch on Monday in Rock Springs. Looks like a great way to spend a little time in some small railroad towns.

I’m excited.........

Mike

#76 ·
For the railfans

So we're in Eureka Springs Arkansas for a few days of bike riding, one of our favorite areas is here and southern Missouri which are awesome twisty roads that will be great for all attending the event in Branson later this year. And I thought I would post some pics of the equipment at the train station in Eureka Springs. The 1951 Chevy wagon has always been my favorite here. A 2-6-0 locomotive, and an old turntable is cool. Just trying to whet the appetite of the railfans attending the Bigboy event in a couple of weeks. Cya there!

Attachments

#83 · (Edited)
I think it said 25,000 gallons on the back end of the engine.
If you look at 13:00 or 20:30 then imagine what a busy railyard like Chicago or Pittsburgh must have been like with a dozen or so of the steam coal burners working. Even the yard donkeys burned coal. :puke:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.