Chevy SSR Forum banner

Roof Won't Open, Times Out

10K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Stlhotrod 
#1 ·
2004 SSR, top used to get stuck opening but by keeping the button pressed repeatedly it would eventually open, making made a loud thunk. It seemed like something was 'catching' but I never could figure out what. I quit using the top. Is there a latch that needs adjusting?

Now I want to use it again but the tonneau cover won't even open open now, the cycle times out.

I was trying to get the Chevrolet SSR Retractable Roof Operation & Service Procedures but none of the links work. Is there any way to get it?

What happens when I use the roof tool? does it just unlatch the front of the top where it meets the top of the windshield? Is there a way to manually open tonneau cover and the top.

Thanks!

#2 ·
The top system consists of electronics, hydraulics, and fluid and hoses and a reservoir etc. Fairly complicated. If you go back to the beginning and completely fill out your BIO, where you are located etc and the year your SSR is, etc. someone that lives near by might be able to help you. The top Guru is called Dictator and he lives in Florida. There are a few others that may chime in. There also is a maintenance library you might open and read up on this. Welcome and good luck.

#3 ·
Check this. Mine does that all the time and it is just the drivers side of the tonneau sticking to the body via the gummy rubber insulation on it. Since it’s on my side, I reach back and apply upward pressure on what little of it I can get my finger under and it pops right up. You might try that approach. If it is sticking on the other side someone may have to help try it for you. Afterwards you can oil that rubber strip or wax the heck out of the body to keep it from sticking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#4 ·
OK, engine running, trans in park, foot on the brake, push the top down switch, what happens? Windows go down? Can you hear the pump? Does the tonneau cover unlatch? I don't think it unlatches from the header until the tonneau opens, but I'm not positive.

If the clunk is at the end of the fold down it's the two pneumatic struts.
What links don't work?

#5 ·
Put your info in as to where your located hell you might be in the same neighborhood of the top SSR repair guys around BUT we will never know. Last thing you want to do is go to a dealer their not going to know where to start and your bill will keep running up like a gas meter.You could have a number of things going on no signal to start the process, low fluid, latches sticking or hanging up, broken wire someplace, cylinder broke or out of alignment, etc etc. Hard to really know what's happening with out someone seeing it or more details. Don't give up it could be something as simple as a latch not releasing.

#6 ·
I live in Dallas, TX. It's a 2004. I've owned the thing for a long time, maybe 10 years or so and I've visited this site over the years. I thought I had registered but apparently not, either that or it was with a different email address. I've researched the site extensively, including the maintenance library and couldn't find anything on resolving or troubleshooting my issue. I did find several hints but thought I'd ask directly.

#11 ·
OK good to know where you are at, there are several members in the Dallas area that can and will help. The bad news for you is that they are in Utah right now for the Golden Spike Ceremony, watch that thread to see when they are headed home, should be sometime next week. When they get "eyes on" your R the problem will get resolved quickly.

#7 ·
That's a start there's a great bunch of guys in the Dallas area keep checking in I am sure they will reach out to you. Good Luck

Your not the only one to have this problem my 04 does the same thing if it sits to long and the top isn't used, fluid has to build back up in cylinders so it times out for a few times before it works right. Keeping the rubber seal pliable helps and replacing the pieces of hose they used for bushings with delrin bushings from Mikes Simple Engineering helped also as the old ones swell up over time. Not using things on a regular basis sometimes is worse then using it all the time, even if you just operate the top up and down once in a while.
Once you get the tonneau cover open so you can see inside check for fluid in the bottom of the storage compartment you might have a leak some where

#8 ·
Windows go down, pump comes on and seems to be attempting to open the tonneau cover but it doesn't open. Then it times out. The clunk used to be while the tonneau cover was partially open but not fully. It would catch on something and, if I kept cycling after the timeout repeatedly, it would eventually make that loud clunk and open the rest of the way.

The "Chevrolet SSR Retractable Roof Operation & Service Procedures" is what I am looking for.

Here's the post with the link that doesn't work: ssrfanatic.com/forum/f50/power-folding-top-description-operation-29004

ssrfanatic.com/forum/attachments/f50/101432d1226520039-power-folding-top-description-operation-cover.jpg

One link: mpfmarketing.com/Binder1.pdf

Here's the other link right now but it was to a dropbox location and the file wasn't there either.

ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/roof-operations-procedures-training-manual-33763

dropbox.com/s/cm66q0ellmimzg0/SSRtopTraining.pdf?dl=0

Thanks for the help!

#17 ·
If you have an early '04 it could be a hinge problem on the tonneau cover.
That top operation manual at dead link was to teach dealer techs how the thing was supposed to work but doesn't get into trouble shooting. But if you contact Dinerman there in Texas that manual is on his "ulitmate drive" cheap. It has tons of information including all the manuals. You won't be sorry.

#9 ·
Thanks for the answer. The top started the clunking back when it was a daily driver. I parked it because the catalytic converter melted internally due to extended high speed driving.

I was hesitant to keep pushing the button because previously the hydraulic cylinder overcame whatever was catching due to my stubbornness and the brute force of the hydraulic cylinders. I may have caused the cylinders to start leaking back then.

#12 ·
Just checked it this morning... Windows roll down, pump runs, tonneau cover unlatches, then times out. Ran it through several cycles but cover never moved. I was able to easily lift the cover on both sides so it's not stuck. I know I had a leak way back when from forcing it to open by repeatedly hitting the open button when it would catch. It obviously built up excess pressure while forcing itself past whatever was causing the issue. I'm guessing that the next step would be to manually open it and check the fluid level. I remember seeing fluid recommendation from NAPA during my prior searches. Does someone have that info handy? Have to wait until Sunday when the rain finally stops to check it out...

#13 ·
I never had any intention of taking to a dealer. I'm a ex-motorcycle mechanic, technician, machinist, welder, mechanical engineer and have been building, collecting and racing cars my entire life. I know far more than any mechanic at a dealer. They likely wouldn't know squat about that top. I'm also familiar with the company that made that top. If I could just get my hands on than manual, I'd be golden.

#14 ·
@extremeRacer, some of the '03's had bad hinges that would bend. Someone might post the vin number span that had them. Are you familiar with the micro switches on the latches? I live close to, and in and out of Dallas a lot. If you want to call I might can help. 214-369-1081. If I don't answer leave a message and I'll gat right back.

Nick

#15 · (Edited)
Some quick info for you. Pentosin CHF11S is a suitable substitute fluid. Available at Autozone and other parts places. Don't be surprised that it is colored green. See if tonneau is unlatched, if so open the roof tonneau manually with key off and 2 people, one on each side. When open ck fluid level at pump. Look for min/max label on rearward side of reservoir. Full is about halfway full..... Look for puddle of fluid in well bottom of roof stowage area just inboard of quarter panel. You most likely have a leaking main cylinder and the puddle will indicate which side. If so, you need to have both main cylinders rebuilt at Top Hydraulics or Cabriolet. You may have weak/bent hinges on tonneau cover that are causing the catching when opening. Sometimes you can adjust roof tonneau slightly forward toward rear window to gain additional clearance to the cargo cover. Very early R's had a weaker hinge design and you may need to replace those hinges if your truck has that style. For that you would have to contact someone like Cleveland Power n Performance to get a replacement pair of roof tonneau hinges (not main roof hinges).

#18 · (Edited)
That thunk !

That thunk makes me think that you may have a bent '03 hinge. Have a helper depress the down switch and you gently pull up on the edge of the top cover. The cover should lift straight up about 2" and then rotate to vertical. If it starts rotating immediately you have a bent '03 cover that is hitting the edge of the bed cover or is just binding and you need to replace both. I replaced a set of '03 hinges on a mid year '04.
My number is 769-926-2389. If I can help call and leave a message I will return the call.

Jack

#19 ·
SSRguy

The reason your lid is sticking may not be the weather stripping. With the top lid open look on the hinge just above the edge of the compartment on the inside. You will see a fitting that may be covered with 3/8" rubber hose about a 3/8" long. That may be your problem if it is hose. It gets old, sticky and fowls the lid opening. You will need to replace the hose with a Dulrin fitting sold by Simple-Engineering.

Jack

#21 ·
2004 SSR, top used to get stuck opening but by keeping the button pressed repeatedly it would eventually open, making made a loud thunk. It seemed like something was 'catching' but I never could figure out what. I quit using the top. Is there a latch that needs adjusting?

Now I want to use it again but the tonneau cover won't even open open now, the cycle times out.

I was trying to get the Chevrolet SSR Retractable Roof Operation & Service Procedures but none of the links work. Is there any way to get it?

What happens when I use the roof tool? does it just unlatch the front of the top where it meets the top of the windshield? Is there a way to manually open tonneau cover and the top.

Thanks!
My 2005 was doing the exact same thing had two sensors fail found a great guy in Phoenix who did the diagnosis and repair

#23 ·
Hi Don The first thing I would try is after it stops or times out get out and try to lift the cover up a little on both sides. If it lifts up, get back in and try the switch again. My trucks will get a little dirt around the seal and cause the cover to stick to the rubber seal. If this is the problem clean it and you will be good to go.