Chevy SSR Forum banner

Windshield

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Bee75 
#1 ·
Is the Pilkington Windshield a good replacement for the OEM? I understand some of the replacements are more flat in the center which means it doesn't fit as tight.

#5 ·
Got the windshield replaced

Yep,
That’s me....got hit by a flying quart of paint going 80 mph on my way to the Daytona Beach Poker Run and luckily got away with just an badly cracked OEM windshield.
I took my SSR to Safelite last week and the glass that they had in stock was also cracked so they had to locate another one somewhere in Florida. I took it in yesterday and a FUYAO was installed. They don’t carry the Pinklington glass apparently.
I made sure that I removed the pillar trim and the plastic cowl before arrival to avoid a sure fire disaster with the technicians trying to pry this and that off before breaking the tabs. I also I updated the Velcro with 3M dual lock tape that another member suggested.
I knew going in that the aftermarket glass wasn’t going to be the same curvature and prepared for the results. Upon looking at the new glass, its very obvious that it’s flatter-but not that bad. I put the pillar trim back on and the 3M tape works well. It really grabs the pillar and pulls it in. Honestly I don’t see much of an issue with that. The wiper cowl fits pretty securely with just a tad bit of play. I may add a tab of the 3M tape if it makes noise or rattles at high speed, but we will see.
I wish there were OEM windshields still available but we all know there aren’t. If I was to find a used one, and I’ve been offered a few at good prices, I wouldn’t trust a mom and pop shop here in Miami to put it in anyway. Safelite won’t install a used windshield from my understanding so it is what it is for the foreseeable future.
I’ll make the best of it. I had a good experience with the installation but I can tell you, that at least here in South Florida, Safelite is pretty low on the SSR glass. Might take a few days to get one.
Take my advice though, remove as much trim as you can beforehand-the absence of OEM windshields is frustrating enough-no need to go looking for parts that might get messed up in the process of replacing your glass.
I want to give a special thanks to Carl Bush who gave me the lowdown on the FUYAO glass when we met at the Poker Run. I took his advice as to the 3M dual lock tape and it did the trick. Thanks again Carl.

#9 · (Edited)
3M dual lock tape

Here is what I did.....

1. Take off pillar trim by first removing the 3 plastic pushpins (2 at the bottom and one at the top inside the weatherstrip -need to lower top to get to it)
2. Remove old tape tabs from pillar trim as well as from the body
3. Clean off all of the residue left behind. I used rubbing alcohol and some elbow grease
4. Buy 3M dual lock tape. A 48” x 1” roll is $15 at Lowe’s but you can get the same one from Amazon for $8
5. Apply 3 tabs to the pillar trim and 3 tabs to the body in the same area that the old tape was. I cut pieces the exact length as the originals. The dual lock tape is slightly wider, maybe an 1/8th of an inch.
6. Reintstall pillar trim along with the pushpins. Press down along the trim and you’ll feel the tape “seat” or lock onto the other side.

But to answer you’re question.....I used only one layer of tape on each side. Pillar gets tape and the body gets tape. :wink2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.