LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'04 red
Garage
Tire Pressure Monitoring ?

I have a jeep with a TPMS. It shows the tire pressure in each tire. The left rear has no numbers just -- and a flat tire icon flashes on start up and then just stays on. (tire pressure is just like the other three-good)

A friend told me to go by the tire shop, they had a tool that they could just go by the tire, wave it over it and reset it.
The tire shop, after hearing what I described in the first line above, said the TPM in that wheel had failed and I needed a new one.

Anybody really know if it can be miraculously revived?

Always check relays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:18 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpacker View Post
I have a jeep with a TPMS. It shows the tire pressure in each tire. The left rear has no numbers just -- and a flat tire icon flashes on start up and then just stays on. (tire pressure is just like the other three-good)

A friend told me to go by the tire shop, they had a tool that they could just go by the tire, wave it over it and reset it.
The tire shop, after hearing what I described in the first line above, said the TPM in that wheel had failed and I needed a new one.

Anybody really know if it can be miraculously revived?
It's not unusual for the individual senders to fail after a number of years. I have had two fail on my 2010 pickup, and have replaced them with new GM senders.

The Dakota Digital system on my SSR failed when the original senders, supplied by an aftermarket company, stopped working, also after about 8 years, although the company claimed a 5 year life span. I replaced all four senders at the same time when I purchased new tires.

How old is your system?

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'04 red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flassh View Post
It's not unusual for the individual senders to fail after a number of years. I have had two fail on my 2010 pickup, and have replaced them with new GM senders.

The Dakota Digital system on my SSR failed when the original senders, supplied by an aftermarket company, stopped working, also after about 8 years, although the company claimed a 5 year life span. I replaced all four senders at the same time when I purchased new tires.

How old is your system?
Just old enough to replace. It is a 2011 with 103,000 miles. So I guess it's about time for new ones. Even though it has over 100K, I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon. It is a Grand Cherokee Overland Summit. Hemi, ventilated seats, suspension airbags, adaptive cruise, navigation etc.
I get decent miles on the tires, 40k plus which is okay in the mountains. I reckon I'll just replace them as they fail, over 30K before I get new tires.

Thanks for the info

Always check relays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 04:06 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Smokin Asphalt
Garage
Send a message via AIM to TheXCepsion
Not sure if it will work 100 percent of the time, but I have seen the Discount Tire place use a Magnet held next too the rim near the monitor and it reset. Might just work? good luck
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 12:57 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheXCepsion View Post
Not sure if it will work 100 percent of the time, but I have seen the Discount Tire place use a Magnet held next too the rim near the monitor and it reset. Might just work? good luck
That system works great to re-set senders. I go to my GM dealer twice a year with two vehicles when we do seasonal wheel changeovers.

Their magic wand, which I assume is magnetic, is used in a specific sequence so the computer can relearn sender positions. That is where I found out twice that I had a failing sensor, even though the display had not yet let me know they were failing. I'm sure once it died completely that the DIC would have notified me. That isn't possible with an aftermarket system - all it can do is show that no signal is being received.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:23 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 ssr bermuda bue
It might be the sensor or it just needs to be reprogram. if it is the sensor it should be around$100 sensor price depends on the brand and the scanner you use. I have autel scanner and l try to use one brand of sensor. they are esee to use but can't remember the brand
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:04 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Had one go out on my Chevy Silverado left front and they did the magic wand thing but it went bad again several times. They finally said I should change it out . I had it done and it was $74. I asked if I should do all of them and they said no because some go out but others last for many years so they recommended only replace as needed when they go out. .

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:44 AM
LKMURKY

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Can you add an aftermarket TPMS to the SSR? I saw a poster at Discount Tires. Looked like they had a device that replaced the valve stem from the inside, but I had just finished with a new set of 4 tires being installed, did not want to start over, and I think they were really tired of me looking over their shoulder installing my wheels.
Cary
LKMURKY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > Off Topic Section > Non-SSR Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in