Chevy SSR Forum banner

Close to owning a SSR again

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  tennesseecozydog 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Had a2005Silver SSR 5 yrs ago. Had it for a year and loved it but got the itch when I saw a Audi TTRS. Traded the SSR and my Camaro SS for it then 1 yr later sold the Audi. Been wanting to get back into an SSR again. The chap who bought it from me says he will sell it back to me for $38000CDN($7000 more)It has 18000 kms on it and in perfect condition.Through research and some car buddies I was guided to a 70 yr old Lady who has 2006 Redline Red. It has the full chrome package, automatic,carpeted bed with the wood slats and solid Red floorboards. Strangely enough I knew of this lady when she bought it new 13 yrs ago. She is a very private individual and is having a friend sell it for her .She has always kept nice cars. This Redline SSR only has 2400kms ,that's less than 1500 miles!!. I have only seen pictures of it. I am told she started and drove the car down the street regularly and changed oil yearly. It is nearly new and she is asking$50000 CDN(roughly $37200US). I played hardball and played on the fact that I grew up in the same community and that I used to pump gas in her cars when I was in Highschool.I offered $42000 CDN($31200 US). No word for 3 days then last night received a text she will accept the $42000. Its a lot of money but it is supposedly almost perfect.I would think I would have to flush/drain all the fluids and replace the 13yr old tires. I am going to see it Tuesday nite. Any comments/suggestions. Hoping to have that permagrin on my face again soon.

See less See more
#2 ·
Xcess,

Sounds like you are familiar with the SSR, so you will know what to look for as you "kick the tires". A low mileage SSR may well be pristine, if it has been serviced and sheltered. Recall the discussions among Fanatics here about low mileage examples. The working parts need to be exercised occasionally to maintain seals and lubrication. Sometimes parts and pieces may need effort ($) to work as well as the Roadster may look. In any case, you cannot do better than Redline!

Best!
Boomer Bob :ssr

#4 ·
Given it is an '06 model, and that low of milage, it would seem you have made a reasonable deal. I have to think that having/owning the last model year kinda adds a little "bump" to the value. If it were not an '06 and not knowing if any other options/aftermarket goodies had been installed, I would have suggested the price was kinda high.

:smile2:

#8 ·
Hmm...little old lady... only drove it on Sundays... quarter mile at a time... where have I heard that before? :lol

Seriously though, sounds like a nice truck. One of the reasons the price is higher than average is the extremely low mileage, like buying a new truck. But like buying a new truck, as soon as you start racking up miles that premium quickly diminishes.

Keep in mind this is not your father's truck. Those of us with receding hairlines have trouble shaking the feeling that 100,000 miles signals the twilight years of a truck. Not so with these SSRs, with proper care 2 or 3 times that is realistic.

#9 ·
Approaching the 300K mark and hoping your multipliers are on the low side:laugh::laugh:

#10 ·
Just got back from checking it out. Vehicle is missing 2 things that I thought it would have had. (1)The SSR breather inset was not there. said she never had it.Didn't know what I was talking about
2nd thingThe bed carpet package with the wood slats was never ordered. Said she regretted not getting after seeing it on other SSRs. I had hoped it would have had it. I could not find a mark or scratch on it anywhere. The interior is perfect with the chrome package. I tried the top 4 times -worked perfect. She just had it safetied by a garage I trust and licensed this week and oil changed. I only found one issue with the actual car. I noticed the 2 headlights projector bulbs seem to have a little fog in them. Are they available. has anyone had problems with them. If available what would I be looking at for costs. Do they just unplug thru what appeared to be flap under the fender well. Is that where they are accessed. I took it out for a run. Worked perfect, shifted nicely, everything was perfect except for the tires having a flat spot but I expected to replace the tires anyway so the flat spot wasn't a surprise. I have until thursday to make the deal. They will hold car for me. Very nice people to deal with but up front told me no more reduction in price. I had been looking at another in Ontario but he has sold it. Says got $48000 for it . Had 6oooKMs on it. This has 2500kms. I think Im going to go for it. Just any advice on the headlights would be a great help. I will look for a trucked package down the road. Thanks for the kind advice so far.

#11 ·
Breather insert? You mean that color piece that sits on the engine cover? If so they didn't all come with one and they were discontinued for '06.
Yes the headlight bulbs are easily accessed from inside the fender and not expensive. Good time to upgrade them.
I think you're overly concerned with mileage on the clock and it's value.

#14 ·
I think he means the actual headlight lenses are fogged and I believe one side is discontinued. I just had the passenger side assembly installed last spring and it was still available and if so I'm not 100% sure. You have to remove the inner fender well to remove the whole assembly but it's not difficult. No idea on pricing as insurance paid for it. Hope this helps.

#15 ·
Welcome back
the headlight may just have dust in it easy fix .
upgrade the truck to all leds it makes a real difference. lights are mutch brighter and yes the high and low beam are both behind flap on front fender.
leds run cooler use less power and last longer will be easer on battery and charging circuit
{ dont buy chinise knock offs dont last }
the bed kit you can pick up used states side for around 500 in nice shape

#16 ·
Thanks for all the comments. The deal fell thru and I was still looking when out of the blue this morning I received a call from the owner of my old one-2005 Ricochet Silver saying he heard I was shopping around. He tells me his wife is after him to sell it as he doesn't used it. It has 22000kms on it. I sold it to him over 2 yrs ago and it had 20000 kms on it. I know the guy quite well and had approached him last year but he said he didn't want to sell. I know it sounds crazy but I may be buying my old car back. My wife is even on side with me buying it. I will keep you posted. He is going to let me know by Wednesday

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.