• 1 Post By CruDawg
  • 2 Post By Blur'd Vision
  • 1 Post By 12Pack

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur, 6 speed, 118667
Garage
Experience is the key, and we have none.

Considering the fact we have never driven an SSR and we have now bought one We need to ask you fanatics about the windscreen. Is it a real functional item to have while driving topless?
we have owned in the past 2 convertibles but they had back seats so no windscreen was there.
Our Aqua Blur 05 has no screen, Will we want one? screen or clear lexan one?
calook
ssr ss 20 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 03:48 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
06 silver
In certain situations and you want the top down youíll be glad you have one.

YOU CANNOT DO A KINDNESS TOO SOON,BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW HOW SOON IT WILL BE TOO LATE.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 03:52 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Redline, Running Boards, Front Spoiler
Calook,
My Roadster came with the factory screen installed. I too have had convertibles. The screen cuts down on the wind-lashing around the cockpit. Less of the blow back. I hope that helps explain the effect. As to which type - some do not like the restriction to the rear view of the factory set up. So you know, doesn't bother me in the least. The aftermarket screens are plexiglass and cut the wind turbulence without rear view obstruction.
My two cents - I am sure you will hear from other Fanatics about their experiences. If you choose Plexi, know there are options. Plain clear, engraved - light up and lighting effects.

Another thought: My first modification was to upgrade the stereo. Wanted a back up camera and blue tooth access for phone, Pandora and maps. There are plenty of aftermarket options out there. Use the search feature to find past Fanatic conversations.

Enjoy your first ride, it will be memorable!
Boomer Bob
Lennie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 03:54 PM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
Interesting question, Calook . . .

It has been 13 plus years since I adopted The Doophus and I rarely, if ever, drive with the top up and have never wanted and/or felt the need for a windscreen.

Also, I found the windscreens in the few SSRs I have briefly driven to be more of a distraction than a benefit. Especially after dark with the clear plexiglass models.

My recommendation . . . "test drive" before you spend the money.

! ! ! ! ! !
Boomer Bob likes this.

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 04:00 PM
Ms Donna's Driver
Supporting Member

Location: beside the tracks of the "Wabash Cannonball" along the banks of the "Wabash River" Indiana

My SSR:
'04 Ricochet Silver and then along came. SINISTER
Yes if you drive topless a lot. Not really necessary but it helps with the backlash of wind. As far as screen or solid plexiglass..... both are good and both have a couple draw backs.
There are a few things you need to learn when it comes to adding options to your truck. One is that it is yours and do what every turns you on. Another is that there is no standard as to what needs to be added, if anything. One of the last things for you to learn is that we are your family. Just like all other families, we will support you in what ever you choose for your truck.

Oh yea, welcome and congratulations on your purchase.
Boomer Bob likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EVERY MILE IS MAGIC

I used to be indecisive
But now I'm just not sure
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 04:44 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
I have two SSRs. One came with the plexi and the other came with the factory one. I didn't like the factory one and took it off on the second day I owned it. I have sense gotten a plexi one for the other one.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:00 PM

My SSR:
2004 UV B105918 Born on 2/23/04 Standard upgrades Jeremy tuned
Welcome to the group having my R for 2 years without a wind screen and top down whenever I can haven't found the need for a wind screen. I would suggest you drive it for awhile and see if you need it. I would get some of the more important things taken car of first like replacing shift connector bolt, heat shield for ABS brake system, and radiator support. Enjoy the ride.
Boomer Bob likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:35 PM

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
We have 2. My '06 had the Factory one when we bought it. Last year we bought Kathy's '04 WITHOUT one. I think it ADDS to the appearance when the top is down. She says she can feel the difference. Sooo---I bought a Factory one for hers, mainly because of the complaints of glare at night and higher cost of the clear Plexiglass.

Nick
RedlineRyder likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:55 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Smokin Asphalt
Garage
Send a message via AIM to TheXCepsion
You cant go wrong either way. The R driving experience with the top down will make you Smile so much You wont notice not having one. Be forewarned, You might not notice it, but Your Co-Pilot, if anything like Mine, will notice the wind blowing Her hair around and May want You too try out a wind screen. I have heard some complain about glare in the Plexiglass ones, but I havent noticed it in mine. Good luck whatever you decide and Ride Safe. Welcome too the Group, from Friendswood, Texas
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 07:51 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow, 2005 Smokin Asphalt
Garage
welcome

2004 SSR, slingshot yellow, automatic, 113K miles, 2005 smoking asphalt, automatic, 16k miles, lots of SE parts incl tire kit, heat shield, rear frame stiffener,
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:02 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Welcome from Houston, Texas.

I have both the factory and the clear and prefer the clear. The clear can add a bit of reflective glare, but works better to block the backdraft and easier to see thru for me.

- Robert
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:38 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
Iím short so I would not want the factory one it would be in the way of the rear view mirror.
I like mine I like in the rural area so it is a hike 100 mile round trip is very common if I lived in town may not would want one.
They are right the clear one light reflect on it you really have to watch it.
Come to Avery I let you test drive mine.
Good luck
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:50 PM
Genuinely SSR Obsessed

My SSR:
2006 Black FPR #24031 BOD=3/14/2006 The Black Knight
Talking

Calook, I'll try to explain this as simply as I can.

In your post you refer to "we" as new owners. I'll assume you are referring to you and your wife. If that is indeed the case then you must proceed post-haste and purchase a windscreen.

If you don't want to look over to your right ((while driving top down)) and see your wife looking something like this..........

~~~~Experience is the key, and we have none.-2018-11-22-16-43-54-1863318875.jpeg~~~~

Then you are about to get your a_ _ kicked. This action is usually followed by vocal threats that she will "never sit down in that thing again!!!!" If this happens to you, an order for a new windscreen had better be in your immediate future.

★☆★ - Welcome to the site Calook. You'll love it here.

===============
David
Experience is the key, and we have none.-images-31.jpeg
SSR290, HUAW, QUICKSILVER and 2 others like this.

=========================================

Livin' the Dream; Thanks Chevrolet
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:21 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Without a windscreen you can't keep a head on your beer.
With a windscreen you'll only lose the foam above the rim.

Seriously though, it helps if you or your passenger have long hair and care about it getting disheveled.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:57 AM
SSR Fanatic

My SSR:
06' Pac Blue #123244 w/Chrome Pkg, Born on date of 12-21-2005... Sadly Sold Pac Blue #121631 in 09'
Garage
I had the factory screen on my first SSR and didn't like how dark it was at night looking through the tinted glass and screen. My current truck did not have a wind screen and my wife was always complaining about the hair whipping around in her face. She didn't like wearing a hat and tried a scarf but they got hot in the summer and equally messed up her hair..
Purchased the plexiglass style this summer and it's really cool looking and reduces the wind whipping around without losing the sense of being "topless"! I have only driven it a few times after dark but don't recall any glare being an issue.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180725_214331406_LL.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	537457  

"HUAW" = "Hooah", Its an ARMY Thing! Which can mean nearly anything that is Awesome or Positive!!! Just like a CHEVY SSR!!!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 12:30 PM
Ret. Air Force

My SSR:
Mazzy, 04 Silver, Custom Side Pipes, Flames on Doors, and One Sweet Looking @$$!!
Garage
David @Warrior=='06 you crack me up...you're a funny dude! But you are spot on about the hair!!
Bruce @xoxoxoBruce excellent points relating to the avoidance of Alcohol Abuse!!

Not to mention the fact that nobody wants a stray hair in their beer either!!

Love my plexiglass windscreen, and more importantly...Tina loves it.
Plus, I don't have any of the glare problems that others have mentioned.
HUAW likes this.

..."We live in fame or go down in flame."
(Hey! Nothing can stop the U.S. Air Force!!)

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 05:04 PM
RedHotSSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Redline 2004 Purchased 2011 41,000 mi.
Thumbs up Welcome from LA.

In addition to the info you asked for let me Highly Recommend that you contact Simple Engineering for a listing of the OEM parts that you may want to consider replacing before you experience an away from home breakdown. Mike will assist you and provide you with QUALITY parts for you R. Low miles isn't a guarantee of no breakdowns.

"Long may you run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by calook1967 View Post
Considering the fact we have never driven an SSR and we have now bought one We need to ask you fanatics about the windscreen. Is it a real functional item to have while driving topless?
we have owned in the past 2 convertibles but they had back seats so no windscreen was there.
Our Aqua Blur 05 has no screen, Will we want one? screen or clear lexan one?
calook
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Garage
Hey 04 PurpleHaze,
You mentioned 3 items that I have seen listed in mods of other fanatics cars. What's the problems I should look for with these 3 items. Especially in our 700 mile drive home from picking it up? Any info is appreciated.
Calook1967
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Garage
Warrior
Yes you are correct my Bride of 41 years is my copilot. But she is accustomed to messed hair from riding our Harley. Helmet hair.
calook1967
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 05:57 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
These three...
Shift kit

heat shield

radiator support.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 06:05 PM

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
calook1967, I'm butting in on '04 PurpleHaze---if you got the Aqua Blur 6 Speed you talked about 11-20 you don't need the Shifter kit (bolt PurpleHaze) mentioned. It is for Automatics. The "Heat Shield" probably not a problem with Highway driving but should be done at some point. The "Radiator support also ok driving home as long as you don't run over anything BIG on the Highway. ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!

Also might up date your profile showing your 6 speed, Aqua Blur, anything else you want.

Nick

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Garage
Nick,
Thanks for info. I plan on updating my profile as soon as we return home from the trip to pick it up and drive home. I can't put info in my profile about a car I haven't even seen in person yet. Heck it might be junk so we may have to leave it there and walk home. Or maybe rent a car. We did buy the Aqua Blur with the manual trans. It's in Iowa about 700+- from here in NC. We fly up to Des Moines 12-5 to start the journey. I do know 1 thing, this next 12 days are going to be the longest 12 days I've ever lived!!!!!
Dave
Flying Dog and nj6969 like this.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 03:42 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
First be careful of the weather.

On the windscreen. I have the OEM. I take it off in the winter, put it in its case and leave it there until the next spring along with the Harbor Freight plastic pry tool and I think 10 mm nut driver. It is very easy to do it in five minutes, it weighs nothing and you do not have the restriction, slight as it may be, of the rear window.

I do like the looks of the plexi glass, but hate the reflection of head lights.

You should not need it until spring, so keep your eyes open in the interim and you can probably find one and even the case if you go OEM.

There are some things that should be done to your ride, but for now check the fluids, tires and wiper blades and washers and head home. We are in Nebraska and are expecting bad weather. I hope that you are ahead of it.

I have a '05 6 speed. You will enjoy it I am sure. I usually put $1,000 or so a year into need to and/or want to things a year.

Let us know how your trip went. We flew into the Boston area and drove ours home when we bought it.

IMO

Dave
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 06:23 AM
MY05SSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 6spd. Agua Blur
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rasmussen View Post
First be careful of the weather.

On the windscreen. I have the OEM. I take it off in the winter, put it in its case and leave it there until the next spring along with the Harbor Freight plastic pry tool and I think 10 mm nut driver. It is very easy to do it in five minutes, it weighs nothing and you do not have the restriction, slight as it may be, of the rear window.

I do like the looks of the plexi glass, but hate the reflection of head lights.

You should not need it until spring, so keep your eyes open in the interim and you can probably find one and even the case if you go OEM.

There are some things that should be done to your ride, but for now check the fluids, tires and wiper blades and washers and head home. We are in Nebraska and are expecting bad weather. I hope that you are ahead of it.

I have a '05 6 speed. You will enjoy it I am sure. I usually put $1,000 or so a year into need to and/or want to things a year.

Let us know how your trip went. We flew into the Boston area and drove ours home when we bought it.

IMO

Dave
Dave
Welcome from Northeast Georgia! I also have a 05 Aqua Blur six speed and I love it. I'm buying a plexiglass a windscreen next week, can't tell you if it will a good thing or not but I like the looks of them and my co-pilot don't like getting her hair messed up. Were planning on going to two rallies next year and I would rather listen to radio then hear complain about how FAST I'm going. Enjoy your ride home and have a safe trip (my R doesn't do snow well)
John
Flying Dog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSRFanatic News & Polls > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in