Hello - Page 2 - Chevy SSR Forum
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:03 AM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 time View Post
better than nos can u share what your smoking lol
Check out some of the parts for SSRs available from Simple Engineering and MPD and consider that others are also making replacement parts which are improvements over OEM.
ABLUR05 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:16 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
better than nos can u share what your smoking lol
Would you rather have the OEM plastic radiator support that also ties the front frame rails together and holds the air dam,
or the Simple Engineering powder coated steel support for half the cost?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radiator.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	521866  
ABLUR05 likes this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2005 SSR
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj6969 View Post
3 time, Welcome from Forney Texas!!! you have found the BEST FORUM ever! -----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then when you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy
I hope to be of help and hang out with other ssr owners. But if I every need someone to hold a flash light Iíll be sure to ask. ďIím a sarcastic ass hole as wellĒ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:10 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Phantom Black Metallic 05, 6.0 liter S.C. auto, Rear spoiler,Air Dam, Kooks headers,
Garage
Welcome from one of the So. Cal Nutz, to the best place on planet Earth, to find a fantastic group of SSR fanatics, to party with, cruise with, or just swap stories with. Just to forewarn you, ( " mine are all made up, and the points don't count " ).
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2005 SSR
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Would you rather have the OEM plastic radiator support that also ties the front frame rails together and holds the air dam,
or the Simple Engineering powder coated steel support for half the cost?

Ok Iíll give u this one but I havenít installed one of those but would also be surprised if it bolted right in without doing something to make it fit. Aftermarket parts seldom fit without massaging something. Also Iím a weight freek so a little extra is way to much especially once u add up all the different items installed versus a stock ssr without all the different upgrades. Now if weíre talking different cylinder heads or a aluminum rear end housing things that make it go faster I might sacrifice weight. Iíll take that junk GM spent millions of dollars on to engineer over stuff someone spent close to zero on. Maybe my car only damages the radiator support and not the frame rail when a collision occurs to that area who really knows.
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:45 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
3 time, I would suggest you go visit with Mike in AZ and I'll bet you feel a lot different and have a different perspective on SSR aftermarket parts. Bob "tennesseecozydog" Alexander
ABLUR05, TXNSSR, SSReplay and 1 others like this.
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:53 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Quote:
Ok I’ll give u this one but I haven’t installed one of those but would also be surprised if it bolted right in without doing something to make it fit. Aftermarket parts seldom fit without massaging something. Also I’m a weight freek so a little extra is way to much especially once u add up all the different items installed versus a stock ssr without all the different upgrades. Now if we’re talking different cylinder heads or a aluminum rear end housing things that make it go faster I might sacrifice weight. I’ll take that junk GM spent millions of dollars on to engineer over stuff someone spent close to zero on. Maybe my car only damages the radiator support and not the frame rail when a collision occurs to that area who really knows.
It bolts right in (period). It also supported my truck and prevented the floor jack from seriously damaging me and causing castostropic radiator and condenser damage.

If you want to save a few pounds, install the LC32 front crossmember, then the SE stiffening plate and the SE rad support. I’ve installed them all personally and know they all fit without modification. Your truck will be FAR more stable, therefore more fun to drive, about the same overall weight and stronger.
@Mike in AZ sells high quality parts and provides incredible support.

- Robert
ABLUR05, SSReplay and John F like this.
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:55 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Ok Iíll give u this one but I havenít installed one of those but would also be surprised if it bolted right in without doing something to make it fit. Aftermarket parts seldom fit without massaging something. Also Iím a weight freek so a little extra is way to much especially once u add up all the different items installed versus a stock ssr without all the different upgrades. Now if weíre talking different cylinder heads or a aluminum rear end housing things that make it go faster I might sacrifice weight. Iíll take that junk GM spent millions of dollars on to engineer over stuff someone spent close to zero on. Maybe my car only damages the radiator support and not the frame rail when a collision occurs to that area who really knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseecozydog View Post
3 time, I would suggest you go visit with @Mike in AZ; and I'll bet you feel a lot different and have a different perspective on SSR aftermarket parts. Bob "tennesseecozydog" Alexander
I was about to suggest the same thing, since you are in AZ. I will even suggest that you might want to click on Mike In AZ in one of his posts and check his profile and then search his posts for one with his phone number. I am sure you two would have a lot to talk about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:56 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
So many of us have broken that support it's ridiculous, I didn't even know it until I saw the radiator hanging down parked at night in the headlights of the car behind.

I know exactly what you mean about aftermarket parts, I've pulled my hair out many times after the parts store is closed, plus I spent 5 years behind the counter at Kanuika's speed shop listening to irate customers.

On the weight you're thinking in race car mode. Although they can be made much quicker than stock this truck is no race car, reliability, dependability, are the prime objective for a road car. Unless you want it to be known as unreliable to keep the boss from taking it shopping all the time.

Everything from Simple Engineering fits and has been tested on Mike's truck and/or some of the Fanatics in his area.

The membership here has learned a lot from some very bright and dedicated people over the years and share this knowledge freely.
But the bottom line is your truck, your money, your choice

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:03 PM
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Quote:
3time and since you are new and haven't had a chance to check the quality and fit of Mike at Simple Engineering's stuff I will cut you some slack. I know that a lot of aftermarket products do not equal oem parts quality BUT that is not the case when Mike (who is a SSR owner) offers an upgraded replacement. Some of the parts that GM engineers used on our trucks should have been grounds for pulling their license! Radiator lower mount made of plastic and radiator held in with zip ties , Cross bracing so light weight it wouldn't make a good bicycle frame , and a fan from a VW for a Corvette engine just to name a few. All the Simple Eng. replacements for these mistakes are upgrades that you and your truck will be glad you did ! Don't take my word for this , just ask any of the very experienced owners that hang out on this site . There is a wealth of knowledge here , give a listen , you will be glad you did.
Again , consider coming to a Rally to meet some of the best people you will ever meet anywhere!
ABLUR05 likes this.
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:39 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
Quote:
I just installed one of Simple Engineering's lower radiator supports last week. It was a perfect fit, no mods whatsoever, and took about 20 minutes to install. Weight difference? Maybe a couple of pounds, but who would really care anyway? It's 1000% stronger than the stock support, plus allows for better wheel alignment, and gives me great peace of mind. I've seen too many examples on this site of the cheap factory plastic supports breaking. Ask anyone on this site that has installed any of Mikes parts...he knows what he's doing and everything he makes and sells is of high quality. Plus, he includes installation instructions that couldn't be more detailed. We're very fortunate to have a person like Mike that cares enough about the vehicles we own to design, construct, and sell the kind of parts we need to make them more reliable and enjoyable. Thanks Mike!
post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 10:54 AM
HobbyBob

My SSR:
2005 slingshot,pinstriped/flame detail,OBX Long Headers,Mike's front plate, core supp, fan BORN9/14
Welcome from the West Valley/Surprise Az. Where are you located? Us W/V owners like to do impromptu get togethers. We would like to include you if you wish. We recently had some Arizona chapter shirts made and they went over well.
3 time likes this.
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 11:13 AM
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
"Kate" a Haughty Redhead, '06 Redline FPR 6 spd. #23333 Build Date 2/16/06
Garage
I have a dust-coated OEM plastic back up unit available
nj6969 likes this.

"Such are the Vagaries of Life"
Ah, I'm Just Truckin' With Ya!
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 01:48 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash View Post
I have a dust-coated OEM plastic back up unit available

How much you askin' for the Dust Cash ??? I guess the best question is are you sellin' or collectin' ??? tennesseecozydog
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 03:43 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Redline, Running Boards, Front Spoiler
Welcome to the Fanatic Family!!

Boomer Bob
Crossville TN
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 04:20 PM
Crazy Horse

My SSR:
2005, Ricochet Silver, LS2 6.0 Engine, Manual Transmission, 54,000 mi.
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Light Show Send a message via Skype™ to Light Show
Welcome from Middle Georgia

We welcome new members to the family by using this forum to help in any way we can. We also have SSR Rallys all over the country so that we can meet face to face and mainly just talk shop. With that said, you are invited to our Rally here in Warner Robins, Georgia. Home of U.S. Air Force Museum of Aviation, Miss America, 2016 and Little League World Champions, 2007.

Just to name a few. Here is a link to our rally, Hosted by, CruDawg, Light Show and Dr. Who: https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f26/...-rally-219577/

Michael Garner, USN(RET)
post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 04:40 PM
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
"Kate" a Haughty Redhead, '06 Redline FPR 6 spd. #23333 Build Date 2/16/06
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseecozydog View Post
How much you askin' for the Dust Cash ??? I guess the best question is are you sellin' or collectin' ??? tennesseecozydog
Powder coating is specialized but dust-coating is a time sensitive process
I am a one-time seller on this item
Personally - I am collecting dust - plan to lose some on the road to Penticton though - HaHa!

"Such are the Vagaries of Life"
Ah, I'm Just Truckin' With Ya!
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:28 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash View Post
Powder coating is specialized but dust-coating is a time sensitive process
I am a one-time seller on this item
Personally - I am collecting dust - plan to lose some on the road to Penticton though - HaHa!
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're talkin' about. Is it for sale ... yes or no ???
Boomer Bob likes this.
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2005 SSR
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSReplay View Post
3time and since you are new and haven't had a chance to check the quality and fit of Mike at Simple Engineering's stuff I will cut you some slack. I know that a lot of aftermarket products do not equal oem parts quality BUT that is not the case when Mike (who is a SSR owner) offers an upgraded replacement. Some of the parts that GM engineers used on our trucks should have been grounds for pulling their license! Radiator lower mount made of plastic and radiator held in with zip ties , Cross bracing so light weight it wouldn't make a good bicycle frame , and a fan from a VW for a Corvette engine just to name a few. All the Simple Eng. replacements for these mistakes are upgrades that you and your truck will be glad you did ! Don't take my word for this , just ask any of the very experienced owners that hang out on this site . There is a wealth of knowledge here , give a listen , you will be glad you did.
Again , consider coming to a Rally to meet some of the best people you will ever meet anywhere!
I will def check mike out but i will probably never bolt something on my car unless its either lighter or more efficient. i can tell u all are car lovers and im one as well. My father has same year as mine we both purchased at same time and yes he has tore his support out which i did replace. I promote a auto museum along with keeping all the drivers "cars" going. I also owned a 2001 corvette and was amazed when i noticed the whole front body ,radiator support was basically glued on. amazing cars tho i did sell that car but i still have my 1968 corvette convertible that I've gutted except for the essentials 2180 lb with half a tank of gas and 630 hp. weight is and always will be my enemy and i hate to loose more than anyone in here. The SSR is not a daily driver its a fun car for me and the wife. Looking forward to a rally but u might not see me in a SSR since i love driving 12 cylinder caddy's or a old hudson there are so many in the museum that are crying out for me to drive them.
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2005 SSR
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
I just installed one of Simple Engineering's lower radiator supports last week. It was a perfect fit, no mods whatsoever, and took about 20 minutes to install. Weight difference? Maybe a couple of pounds, but who would really care anyway? It's 1000% stronger than the stock support, plus allows for better wheel alignment, and gives me great peace of mind. I've seen too many examples on this site of the cheap factory plastic supports breaking. Ask anyone on this site that has installed any of Mikes parts...he knows what he's doing and everything he makes and sells is of high quality. Plus, he includes installation instructions that couldn't be more detailed. We're very fortunate to have a person like Mike that cares enough about the vehicles we own to design, construct, and sell the kind of parts we need to make them more reliable and enjoyable. Thanks Mike!
Also nobody has said a word about what happens in the event of a impact to this reinforced support if my car walks away with no rail damage and your's didn't my car is fixable and u now get to argue with a insurance company about the value of your totaled car. my smile just got a whole lot bigger. My point is GM spent millions and mike spent $100s GM crashed these cars did mike ? GM knows the amount of Gs a body can take does mike ? Please don't take this wrong i know that support is junk but its that way for a reason. Race cars went through a period where the were to rigid and it started hurting drivers and now everything has crush zones so without carful consideration of these and the thinking behind them could cost u a car you love or a life u love. I do push things to far and say what i feel but I've seen crazy things happen and i will always step up and say something even tho u don't want to hear it. passion drives us people keep us coming back
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 04:24 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
@3 time , you are more than entitled to your opinion. If you haven't already checked out the other threads under the "FORUM" title, do so. Some of are old hotrodders, so you know we are hard headed! Others are just people who love the SSR as is. Most are stone stock, others have changed the Cam, Heads, Rear end gears, Supercharged, I think one Duel turbos. And most of the charter/starters of the "Forum" were employed with GM at the "Lansing Craft Centre" and had HANDS ON of the Assembly, and Engineering. So we trust their opinion and suggestions and consider their parts to be UPGRADES not modifications. If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Nick
Auggie Doggie, SSReplay and 3 time like this.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 05:09 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Well, you have for sure demonstrated this quote........" ďIím a sarcastic ass hole as wellĒ.

While you're claiming all this knowledge about Vettes and race cars, it's NOT at all clear you have spent much if any time exploring/knowing the background of these unique SSR's.

Why you would (sorta) seem to defend the application of a plastic radiator support that spans the frame rails and attempt to make an off-handed analogy as to the results of a potential crash or whatever........was mindless/baseless.

Once you have spent some time, reviewing the history of the SSR and how they used a Volkswagen radiator fan and a A/C/Heat system with controls from some other brand and other odd ball "engineering" things that were done..........you might just sing a different tune and understand that Mikes stuff and many other after-market offerings are exactly that Better than "stock".

By the way, with a pretty close to 4800 pound "sled" with no body in it, your attempt any significant (weight savings) is pizzing in the wind.
NM Original, SSReplay and John F like this.
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2005 SSR
Garage
Hmm Isn't the weather beautiful.
post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 04:02 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Hmm Isn't the weather beautiful.
Yes, Especially with the top down driving through town with a group of other SSRs when most people in town have never seen one.
Don't take our comments the wrong way, just get to know us. I suspect you will find many of us have been in your shoes in one way or another.

post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2005 SSR
Garage
Seems now Iím gonna have to use that driver side regulator I purchased a month ago. Had 1 rebuilt here locally for $175 about a month ago and at the same time I seen driver side New gm part for sale on eBay so I bought it just in case. As for mike from simple engineering I did ask around and he is as u say a class act with good products. Also Iím still thinking about the fix to under hood juction box. I was able to fix mine in about 20 min with the clues I read here but something is bothering me about it and I will update my opinion on that soon.
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 12:44 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Quote:
Also nobody has said a word about what happens in the event of a impact to this reinforced support if my car walks away with no rail damage and your's didn't my car is fixable and u now get to argue with a insurance company about the value of your totaled car. my smile just got a whole lot bigger. My point is GM spent millions and mike spent $100s GM crashed these cars did mike ? GM knows the amount of Gs a body can take does mike ? Please don't take this wrong i know that support is junk but its that way for a reason. Race cars went through a period where the were to rigid and it started hurting drivers and now everything has crush zones so without carful consideration of these and the thinking behind them could cost u a car you love or a life u love. I do push things to far and say what i feel but I've seen crazy things happen and i will always step up and say something even tho u don't want to hear it. passion drives us people keep us coming back
I read this and all I can say is wow. First thing if you hit a curb with the plastic support it will break and take out the radiator before you know what is going on. With the metal one you are going to hear it and know to stop going any further. Second it is strong enough to probably stop the truck in a parking situation. Now one member hit an animal in the road and took out his plastic support. After he installed Mike's he hit something else quite heavier and no damage to the radiator.

Now as for crush zones on the truck, that is built into the inner body structure and not the radiator support. In a head on collision the front bumper support and frame rails will take the impact long before the radiator support would have any chance to do harm. The frames in these trucks are pretty robust and I am sure the radiator support Mike builds is not going to move the frame rails in an accident.
SSReplay likes this.
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 01:09 PM
Ret. Air Force

My SSR:
Mazzy, 04 Silver, Custom Side Pipes, Flames on Doors, and One Sweet Looking @$$!!
Garage
Welcome to the forum and to the family @3 time ...

...big rally going on in Warner Robins this October, if you want to come and join us and meet family??

Click on this link.

..."We live in fame or go down in flame."
(Hey! Nothing can stop the U.S. Air Force!!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSRFanatic News & Polls > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in