• 1 Post By Mike in AZ
  • 1 Post By Guzzi Guy
  • 4 Post By xoxoxoBruce
  • 1 Post By nj6969

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Help on Oahu

Good morning, folks.
Is there anyone on Oahu who knows their way around a SSR?
The discussions of roof hydraulics has me concerned.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:42 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce McCown View Post
Good morning, folks.
Thanks in advance
Welcome!! Get your post count up so you can use PMs. Maybe someone will send you their contact information in a PM. You can receive but you cannot reply.
Good luck. You might want to post your neighborhood. I know there are a few on the island.

You can always ask here and maybe someone can help you out with pictures and there is always Dicktator's One Drive which is full of information.

Meanwhile you can always give us a bit more information about you and your truck here in another post in this thread.
Auggie Doggie likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:47 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
Good morning, folks.
Thanks in advance
Don't let the open discussions of roof problems scare you. This is the place where we share experiences and troubleshooting with each other in order to spread the information as far as we can.

Generally speaking, the roof system is highly reliable. The failure modes are limited and the solutions are known. I think the system was designed for a HUGE amount of trouble-free operation. They did good.......

If, on the off chance you have a problem, you need some troubleshooting..... there are several of us that can guide any reasonably competent technician through the repair of almost anything. Besides..... Dictator's library of repairs covers a lot of possible failure modes.

Put the top down and enjoy the ride,

Mike
BlueStreak likes this.

One of the "Blues Brothers"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:58 PM
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
"Kate" a Haughty Redhead, '06 Redline FPR 6 spd. #23333 Build Date 2/16/06
Garage
I married one woman twice, possibly this trip to Maui is why I was limited to just 2 as I really loved this woman and was content with her - I guess it was not mutual
At the time I had a "new" 92 Pathfinder and that is what I wound up with as a rental
I insisted on having a top-down Jeep - got my wish but it rained for 14 days straight! HaHa!
I loved driving it but she also wound up with a paba resistance and was a mess - not a holiday to remember but somehow it sticks in my mind
I was ankles deep every day, but it was warm water

"Such are the Vagaries of Life"
Ah, I'm Just Truckin' With Ya!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:07 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
If your worry is limited to what MAY happen, read up here on preventive measures such as lubrication of hinges and switches in addition to protecting vulnerable wires and cables from damage. What's the saying? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure (or something like that).

Dave
richsadams likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:26 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Or you could be like me. Bought it new in '05, push the button it goes down, push the button it goes up, thousands of times. Never oiled, greased, checked, diddled or fretted. Yeah yeah, I know, I've just jinxed myself, but 14 years of just push the button I believe to be more common than you would think reading this site.

Keep in mind this is THE place for SSR information, we've even got the Chevy dealers beat, just ask Dicktator how many dealers call him for information. Some owners are not aware of us, and many are but never post, partially because they tend to be older and a little internet shy. Then something acts funny and they post a question to which our brain trust (not me, the smart ones) will find the answer. When 3 or 4 people post the same problem it's easy to overlook the thousands of trucks that don't. The result is, it appears the SSR has all kinds of problems when it really doesn't.

I did have the pneumatic struts replaced as a preventative measure simply because I'm lazy and there were experienced people doing it at the Springfield Rally.
Enjoy the Permagrin.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

I am looking at a 2006 SSR that looks like it needs to have all eight hydraulic cylinders replaced. After 13 years, and 100000 miles, that seems reasonable. I am not a "handy" kind of guy. How much should I expect to pay my mechanic for this repair...just a ballpark figure. THANKS!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Are any of you guys located on Oahu? Any advice on mechanics who know SSR?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:41 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Lonnie lights #43,confidence by simple Engineering
Send a message via Yahoo to abadssr
An offer for a free stay in Hawaii and Iím sure youíll get all the help needed lol

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 03:40 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
I am looking at a 2006 SSR that looks like it needs to have all eight hydraulic cylinders replaced. After 13 years, and 100000 miles, that seems reasonable. I am not a "handy" kind of guy. How much should I expect to pay my mechanic for this repair...just a ballpark figure. THANKS!
There are only a couple of places that do the cylinders. Just watching and reading on this forum it looks like the cost to rebuild the cylinders is about $1000 then add labor and incidentals. If you farm it all out I would say $2000 to $2500 should cover it. I think the turn around time on the cylinders is about a week. Good luck.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:15 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Bruce McCown, Welcome from Forney Texas!!! You will discover that you have found the BEST FORUM ever!----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something, it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive, when you get one. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

And, if you decide on a "Lifetime or Premium" Membership, you will get more benefits and no ads!? and show appreciation for tips and help. Click "Get Premium" under the Red Banner, read and compare the Advantages!!

Nick & Kathy
Auggie Doggie likes this.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSRFanatic News & Polls > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in