My search is on hold - Chevy SSR Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Location: Pocahontas, IL, 30 miles from Mississsippi River and St Louis

My SSR:
03, Redline Red, 55,xxx miles
My search is on hold

I am having to put my search for an SSR temporarily on hold. I was sure a car I had for sale was sold but it fell through at the last minute. Now I don't have an empty spot in the garage for a new toy. I will continue keeping track of what is out there for sale but I have to hold off buying. Thanks to everyone for tips and leads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Ret. Air Force
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Mazzy, 04 Silver, Custom Side Pipes, Flames on Doors, and One Sweet Looking @$$!!
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinbrian1 View Post
I am having to put my search for an SSR temporarily on hold. I was sure a car I had for sale was sold but it fell through at the last minute. Now I don't have an empty spot in the garage for a new toy. I will continue keeping track of what is out there for sale but I have to hold off buying. Thanks to everyone for tips and leads.

..."We live in fame or go down in flame."
(Hey! Nothing can stop the U.S. Air Force!!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 04:11 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
Quote:
hang in there Brian. Bob Alexander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 10:00 PM
Georgia SSRers

My SSR:
#1 SMOKING ASPHALT, #2 ULTRA VIOLET
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to oldfred
Thumbs up Offer

Quote:
Aw GEEzs......And I WAS going to offer to sell you my super-duper, hipper-dipper double-deluxe "04 BLACK BEAUTY with virtually every up-grade already installed.
You haven't posted your location, If you are anywhere near north ATLANTA, come see it !

MY SSRs

#1 CHARLOTTE is ULTRA VIOLET ...#2 JACK is SMOKING ASPHALT
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 05:30 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Had a daily driver 2004, Stock-as-a-rock, searching Florida for a replacement
What are you trying to sell Flyin?

SSR's and mid-V8 Corvairs. >>
I guess I've never driven a "normal" car.!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 08:06 AM
SSR Fanatic

My SSR:
06' Pac Blue #123244 w/Chrome Pkg, Born on date of 12-21-2005... Sadly Sold Pac Blue #121631 in 09'
Garage
Bummer but things could change quickly! You will be getting a Permagrin before you know it!
QUICKSILVER likes this.

"HUAW" = "Hooah", Its an ARMY Thing! Which can mean nearly anything that is Awesome or Positive!!! Just like a CHEVY SSR!!!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 09:10 AM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
Quote:
The absolute best way to find THE PERFECT SSR, Brian . . .

Either settle on your "second choice" or quit searching. As soon as you do either or both, THE PERFECT SSR will appear.

NEVER FAILS.

! ! ! ! ! !

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 11:22 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
Aw GEEzs......And I WAS going to offer to sell you my super-duper, hipper-dipper double-deluxe "04 BLACK BEAUTY with virtually every up-grade already installed.
You haven't posted your location, If you are anywhere near north ATLANTA, come see it !
"oldfreddie" he lives just off Interstate 70 in Southwestern Illinois. Bob
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
I live in Illinois about 30 miles East of St Louis.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 06:14 PM

My SSR:
05 Red, 6 speed
What are you trying sell to make room for a an SSR?
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
My project car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMo04 View Post
What are you trying to sell Flyin?
I have a 1969 Firebird project I bought as a shell about 6 years ago. It was originally a 400 car but I put a rare Pontiac Overhead Cam six with a four barrel in with a T-10 five speed and posi rear. I bought new tires, interior, chrome, emblems, some body panels, 400 hood, etc. I've redone cars in the past including painting them myself but I can't seem to force myself to finish this one. Unfinished projects are hard to sell and I will surely take a beating on it. The deal with the wife was to get rid of it before dragging anything else home.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 06:17 PM

My SSR:
05 Red, 6 speed
Hey, I'm is the same boat. I have to sell my SSR before I can drag anything else home and of course storage is at a premium right now.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:11 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
It was originally a 400 car but I put a rare Pontiac Overhead Cam six with a four barrel in...
Interesting motor, I had a '66 Tempest Sprint on order when I read a Car&Driver test of a car with this motor. They were saying they had to be gentle with the motor because at less than 2000 miles it wasn't broken in yet. I'm all WTF, sent Pontiac a telegram, and received this book in return. The differences in the equipment for the two and four barrel versions for a couple bucks was amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ohc6.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	433593  

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Sprint OHC-base

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Interesting motor, I had a '66 Tempest Sprint on order when I read a Car&Driver test of a car with this motor. They were saying they had to be gentle with the motor because at less than 2000 miles it wasn't broken in yet. I'm all WTF, sent Pontiac a telegram, and received this book in return. The differences in the equipment for the two and four barrel versions for a couple bucks was amazing.
Mine is actually a base version with the Sprint carb and manifolds but I quit caring about how fast I go years ago. I had a 69 convertible 350 with A/C back in the 70's and hated changing plugs because it was so tight under the hood. I had to jack up the car and take 2 out from underneath. (If you remember telegrams you should remember bumper jacks.) Straight six takes 5 minutes.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 08:33 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
"The deal with the wife to get rid of it before dragging anything else home" Isn't it strange how some of our wives have the powers that they have. 8 years ago when Jan said the 55 Chevy's (2 of them) "are goin' I want one of those little red trucks" Funny how her "off the wall remark" turned out to be the best decision "I" ever made !!! They went ... had the money 10 days and found her (Jan) a little red truck just 50 miles north of the house in Gallatin, Tennessee. Like "I" said best decision "I" ever made !!! Bob Alexander ps I can say that cause she never looks at the SSR web site.

Warrior=='06 and PokerGuy like this.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Quote:
I had a 69 convertible 350 with A/C back in the 70's and hated changing plugs because it was so tight under the hood. I had to jack up the car and take 2 out from underneath. (If you remember telegrams you should remember bumper jacks.) Straight six takes 5 minutes.
Oh yes, a 350 Corvette with Kustom headers. 8 wrench combinations and half a day to change plugs.
We laugh at religious fanatics who whip themselves, ignoring the torture we car guys inflict on ourselves.
tennesseecozydog likes this.

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Oh yes, a 350 Corvette with Kustom headers. 8 wrench combinations and half a day to change plugs.
We laugh at religious fanatics who whip themselves, ignoring the torture we car guys inflict on ourselves.
At least we COULD work on them ourselves. Now it's two hours wading through YouTube videos just trying to figure out what's wrong and how to get to it.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 08:14 PM

My SSR:
2004 UV B105918 Born on 2/23/04 Standard upgrades Jeremy tuned
Unfinished projects are hard to sell and I will surely take a beating on it. The deal with the wife was to get rid of it before dragging anything else home.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the same boat I was in, had a 73 Challenger project car with built up 340 for it and took a beating on it, not many people want to finish what someone else has started. Also had an original 74- 4 speed 340 Roadrunner that took me about 2 years to sell, everybody wants you to give them away or want a 40 year old car in showroom condition. Took me about 2 months to replace them with my SSR glad I did, RRunner was fun to drive but with no air and being that old I didn't drive it that much. Hang in there you will find someone who wants to tackle a "project" and there will be an SSR out there for you. I have seen a lot of nice deals the past year on SSR's since I got mine.
Guy that bought the challenger is close by so I run up and see how he's doing with it, am I glad I sold it his dad has a collision shop so he works on it there says he's got about 500 hrs on it so far but he's taking down to the frame, can hardly wait to see it when it's done. Would have cost me 3 times what I paid for the SSR to finish it that way.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 06:37 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
I had a money pit in the form of a Triumph Spitfire. Finally after years as a catch all for everything loose in the garage I decided to get rid of it. Good riddance and I try not to think of how much money I "invested" in it never to return.

The good thing, made room for the R!

Dave
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 06:59 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
"Guzzi" my cousin and her husband had a Morgan in the garage collecting parts and dust. She thought it was a "money pit" and then her husband died ... she advertised it for sale, I think she got 50 or 60 Thousand for it and several calls from England. Talked to her the other day and she still laughs about it. The guy bought it site unseen, brought his trailer, paid her, loaded it up and hauled it off. When she called me last year, I told her take the first offer over 50 Thousand and get the damn thing out of the garage. It might have been worth more but 50 Grand is nothing to sneeze at. Bob Alexander
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:02 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
Now you're comparing apples to oranges as they say in your neck of the woods. The Morgan is expensive and hand built in very limited numbers whereas a Spitfire was a mass market vehicle competing with the likes of MGB and maybe even the base Mustang or Camaro although they seated 2 in the front and 2 legless adults in the rear. LOL

I may not have been as anxious to get rid of the car had it been a Morgan or say a Jaguar XKE.

Dave
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:43 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
"Guz" you have a very valid point, but she was 75 at the time and was "downsizing" and moving "to town" Her husband left her very comfortable and she was "wholesaling" everything not nailed down. They lived out in the country in a large house with a big garage and barn. Bob
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
I had a '67 Impala SS convertible out back that needed some work, the dash had rusted out along the inside of the windshield, but ran well. I just hadn't got to it and was beginning to think I wouldn't because of too many irons in the fire. At least twice a month someone would ring the bell wanting to buy it

The one day a young guy carrying a 2ish year old inquired. I don't know what it was but I had a good feeling about this kid. I sold it to him for $1. Six months later he came back. It had a new dash, new interior including door panels, new top, new glass, a big block with 4 speed OD automatic. He said he was ready to start on the body work and paint. I forgave him the 21" wheels.

It's hard to find the right guy to take over your baby, but when you do and they treat it right, it's wonderful.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 06:52 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
21' Wheels? Gag me! Every once in awhile I'll see an awesome classic in the St Louis area with monster wheels that make it look like a roller skate. Guess I'm too old.

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 07:56 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
SilverMo04 ... You're not "Old" you're just "Old School" like me. I just really dislike a 55, 56 or 57 Chevy with huge rims and rubber band tires. But look at it this way ... it's their car and their money !!! I had Corvette Rally's on one of my 55's and loved "em! I'll bet there must have been several gearheads out there that said "55's just don't look right with those Rally wheels or Rally wheels and white wall tires, that looks awful" Bob Alexander
SilverMo04 likes this.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 05:51 AM

My SSR:
2005 Silver
Black Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
I just started looking for an R. I am in Sandy Springs. Any idea on price?
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 06:26 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
15-25 seems to be the norm, depends on miles, condition, etc.. just like any other car. A good thing to keep in mind is, the R generally holds it's value very well if you don't pay too much. I paid 20 for mine 7+ years ago and feel I could easily get 15 for it now, not too bad.

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 06:45 AM

My SSR:
2005 Silver
Price

Quote:
15-25 seems to be the norm, depends on miles, condition, etc.. just like any other car. A good thing to keep in mind is, the R generally holds it's value very well if you don't pay too much. I paid 20 for mine 7+ years ago and feel I could easily get 15 for it now, not too bad.

Thanks for the reply. That does seem to be the range I'm seeing. I was specifically asking Oldfred about his.

Thanks again for your help!
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 02:41 PM
Georgia SSRers

My SSR:
#1 SMOKING ASPHALT, #2 ULTRA VIOLET
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to oldfred
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesxx View Post
thanks for the reply. That does seem to be the range i'm seeing. I was specifically asking oldfred about his.

Thanks again for your help!
bones,....pm sent !

MY SSRs

#1 CHARLOTTE is ULTRA VIOLET ...#2 JACK is SMOKING ASPHALT
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Ridiculous wheels

Quote:
21' Wheels? Gag me! Every once in awhile I'll see an awesome classic in the St Louis area with monster wheels that make it look like a roller skate. Guess I'm too old.
I had a 125 mile round trip commute to my job in St Louis and saw some weird stuff. Occasionally I would see this 82 Impala with wheels so big it sat up like a 4 wheeler truck. I had to shake my head one day when I saw he had a flat and had his tiny spare out with his bottle jack that was fully extended but still a foot from touching anything under the car. Even if he had been able to put the spare on, it wouldn't have been driveable. I couldn't pull over to help in rush hour traffic and he already had his phone out. I'm guessing he didn't think about that when he was spending $4,000 on wheels and tires for a $1,500 car. Since the R has 2 different size wheels, is there a spare wheel and tire combo that you could use for front and back?
SilverMo04 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSRFanatic News & Polls > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in