Chevy SSR Forum banner

Old member with new SSR. Chicago

3K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  Blur'd Vision 
#1 ·
I am delighted to report that I am now a proud owner of 05 Redline SSR.:ssr: :banana:
It was previously babied and cared for by @tennesseecozydog and now it is my pleasure to take care of her and enjoy every minute.:grin2:

My first project is to get ABS light addressed; I am reading up on the forum articles right now :puzzled:
I am also going to install a windjammer; I am planning to make one myself, going to try to build a netting based windscreen similar to the original GM accessory, if that does not work out, going to cut one out of plastic.

I live in the far north Chicago suburbs, if you are in the area give me a shout.
Hope to see more members at the shows.

Thanks
Serge

Attachments

See less See more
#26 ·
Not hard at all DOOPHUS ... there's one thing I have learned in my 79 years of life ... don't look back !!! It's just a vehicle, it can be replaced. Did enjoy meeting Serg, his Mother and Serg's friend Demetri. They are from the Ukrane, but United States Citizens, so, yes we had a little language differences but everybody left happy !!! Jan & I are back home in Tennessee ... tired but grateful for Les & Beverly for letting us stay in their beautiful home (3 stories, 11,000 square feet with elevator ... Jan & I stayed on the 3rd floor)) then bringing us home today. :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

#13 ·
From what I have heard you cannot get a new ABS thingy so you will probably have to have it rebuilt/refurbished and there are several guys on this forum that do that work. I was told they go bad from the fact that the unit is right next to the left side catalytic converter which gets very, very, hot at times. Check your SSR and if it does not have a heat shield you can get one from Mike at Simple Engineering. It installs with two bolts provided and takes about 5 minutes to put on. I just got mine a few weeks ago and put it on. Hardest part was getting up off the floor after the install at 75 years old.
Keep checking, reading, asking questions and listening because there are folks on this forum that have fixed everything. Most dealers don't have folks that know the SSR and or charge a fortune to look at it. Some are very good but you just have to ask around. Good luck with your new BABY!!!

https://shop.simple-engineering.com/category.sc?categoryId=44

Reactions: tennesseecozydog
#15 ·
I am delighted to report that I am now a proud owner of 05 Redline SSR.
:
:
It was previously babied and cared for by @tennesseecozydog and now it is my pleasure to take care of her and enjoy every minute./forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png

My first project is to get ABS light addressed; I am reading up on the forum articles right now

I am also going to install a windjammer; I am planning to make one myself, going to try to build a netting based windscreen similar to the original GM accessory, if that does not work out, going to cut one out of plastic.

I live in the far north Chicago suburbs, if you are in the area give me a shout.
Hope to see more members at the shows.

Thanks
Serge
From what I have heard you cannot get a new ABS thingy so you will probably have to have it rebuilt/refurbished and there are several guys on this forum that do that work. I was told they go bad from the fact that the unit is right next to the left side catalytic converter which gets very, very, hot at times. Check your SSR and if it does not have a heat shield you can get one from Mike at Simple Engineering. It installs with two bolts provided and takes about 5 minutes to put on. I just got mine a few weeks ago and put it on. Hardest part was getting up off the floor after the install at 75 years old.
Keep checking, reading, asking questions and listening because there are folks on this forum that have fixed everything. Most dealers don't have folks that know the SSR and or charge a fortune to look at it. Some are very good but you just have to ask around. Good luck with your new BABY!!!

https://shop.simple-engineering.com/category.sc?categoryId=44
Shield is installed.

#16 ·
Congratulations on your new ride Serge. I share your enthusiasm and the experience of owning a fanatic Fanatic's former SSR. In 2017 Roger Krouse had purchased his gorgeous and immaculately kept 05 Aqua Blur from John "Bone Doc". Before selling the SSR the Bone Doc had made just about every conceivable upgrade to create a ride that was actually better than new. Roger showered this beautiful machine with the same loving care and devoted maintenance until circumstances dictated he take a different course. I flew down from Seattle last week (3/25/19) to get a look at the truck that he had described in this forum in such glowing detail (to be honest I knew I wasn't going to leave without it). Even though Roger was committed to selling the vehicle his pride of ownership shined through as he continued to recite it's attributes. In Aug. 2017, in my 71st year, I experienced a moment of lesdyxia and thought I was 17. I impulsively, but not regretfully, purchased my 04, Smokin Asphalt SSR. I soon learned that that I wouldn't be pulling any G-force upon takeoff with the 300hp and automatic tranny. For a 17 year old that was of concern, so my lust for the LS2/6 speed took shape. When Roger advertised his rig it was just too much for me to resist and... well, the rest is history. The only negative effect I experienced was a recurring incidence that occurred along my route home along the Pacific Coast Highway. What can I say, I was imagining myself as a 17 year old with 400 horses and 6 speeds of rumbling thunder. I was taking 30 MPH curves, effortlessly, at 60 MPH and constantly catching up with traffic so, of course, I put relentless pressure on each driver to: GET THE F... OUTTA MY WAY! It's not really my way but I feel confident that, after 2,000 miles, it's (mostly) out of my system. Now to get the 04 ready to sell. Like Roger, I'm planning to start the process right here on this forum.

#27 · (Edited)
welcome. search the forum and you will find several articles on the solder joints in the abs unit. One article gives several places that will resolder your unit. Dicktator was one person that was indicated. Also Turn Electronics and my airbags.com have listings on ebay

#28 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone for a warm welcome, help and support.

For anyone who is considering purchasing an SSR, from my experience, there is not better way than getting in touch with SSR Fanatic and purchasing a well loved and well cared for truck.
Bob took wonderful are of the redline, I would say, the paint looks better than new :)
Buying from SSR Fanatic also provides for a secure transaction.

For members that are planning to sell, I would recommend following Bob's lead. Bob was very pro-active with PMs and provided an excellent presentation of the truck, his effort swayed me to commit to the purchase on the day I was planning to see a couple other SSRs.

If you are planing to buy or sell and would like to ask about my experience, feel free to PM.

ps: read the manual. Yesterday I was greeted with new warning light on the dash, thanks to pre-reading the owner manual, I knew the button combination to make it go away :laugh:

Attachments

#29 ·
ps: read the manual. Yesterday I was greeted with new warning light on the dash, thanks to pre-reading the owner manual, I knew the button combination to make it go away :laugh:
Great advice, Serge . . .

I have always lived by that old saying . . . "IF ALL ELSE FAILS, READ THE DIRECTIONS."

! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.