2003 with custom cam, custom wilwood brakes, LS2 stroker for sale! - Chevy SSR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2003 SSR, six speed, LS2, six speed with magnacharger
2003 with custom cam, custom wilwood brakes, LS2 stroker for sale!

I am posting this to see what kind of interest I get in any buyers. Here is a video to get an idea. I have to post the story of what has been done to her so please wait to make offers if interested til later this evening when I give you the complete details. Thank you.

here is a video of her.. I had trouble viewing it earlier so you might have to reload her.

SSR with custom cam, magnaflow exhaust, LS2 stroker for sale!! - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 07:25 AM
I DO WINDOWS
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2003 #2393 black SB1 some-stuff-added
????

You put a LS2 and 6 stick in your 03?????

REBEL with a CAUSE and a LOADED AIRBRUSH!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL View Post
You put a LS2 and 6 stick in your 03?????
Yea a crazy idea but I did it. I'll post more in of later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 09:45 AM

My SSR:
Slingshot #4619 (sold)
That is one healthy sounding SSR.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 AM

My SSR:
2004 Custom Two Tone
I'd like to know more about the Wilwood brakes

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Florida SSR Fanatic

My SSR:
04 Redline w/Lambo Doors ++, and 2005 Bk 6-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN ROD RUN View Post

I like to know about this SSR - sound great -
please give us a peek & info
Name:  daydream-animated-animation-day-dream-smiley-emoticon-000404-medium.gif
Views: 2465
Size:  31.7 KB

2003 with custom cam, custom wilwood brakes, LS2 stroker for sale!-ssrfanaticback3.jpg

MIKE IN ORLANDO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I bought me a special Ride - Why Not! - You don't live forever
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:09 PM
LOP
Super Moderator

My SSR:
'05 Auto Redline Red #20727.... Born on 05/05/05...
Turned off the video when it went to CROTCH CAM...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please Note.. Any spelling and/or grammer mistakes are copyright of the author.. Mistakes will be numerous and common...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OP View Post
Yea, sorry about that. LOL! I was just trying to give viewers the idea of what it sounded like when shifting. Sorry for the hairy knee!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 07:13 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Redline Supercharged 06 Pacific Blue/SmokinAsphalt 05 Redline 6-speed 06 Pacific Blue FPR
Quote:
Originally Posted by op View Post
turned off the video when it went to crotch cam...
Name:  1spank.gif
Views: 784
Size:  9.5 KB

ONE BAD DOX DACHSHUND OWNER or is it the other way around??????
"Laugh when you can, say sorry when you should, and let go of what you can't change."
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 11:38 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Aqua Blur/ SSR XFMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN ROD RUN View Post
Go to: www.wilwoodbrakes.com I use their Products on my Hot Rods.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
SSR STORY

My SSR story is an interesting one so bare with me. I bought it back in 2003 from our dealership. It is our family’s Chevrolet store and so I wanted it in my name. It was one of the first production SSRs from Chevrolet. It was originally all black so the first thing I did was I had our Collision Center paint it silver on top. I didn’t care for GM’s silver so I opted for a more brilliant shade with some metallic fleck in it. I give credit to my awesome painter, Richard Alderete who works in our collision center and has been with us for many years. He also painted the front grille slits on the front. If you remember, the two tone SSRs from the factory were only painted the top color to the edge of the hood. Then we contacted a local pin striping company and they painted a cool design in red along the sides ending at the back.

The next thing I did take it to a friend who is an absolute wiz with electronics and had him build a custom stereo for it. It was painstaking work for him, but I knew it would be the best stereo ever done just because Fred goes all out on his work. And he did! He put a small subwoofer in the wall behind the passenger seat and mounted the amp behind the driver seat. I told him one of the things that annoyed me about a lot of aftermarket shops was their inability to retain the factory chimes and functionality of the original equipment. He told me no sweat and in the end he wired the chimes to a pair of rear speakers behind the seat. And the sound is to die for!! I am an audio FREAK and love great sound and the system he built for my SSR was just right! I’m telling you this guy is one of the best!!

After I did the stereo I was restless for power so I had a supercharger installed and I had that for a few years with the original 5.3 it came with. At this point I got really crazy and (don’t ask me why, but I guess I was a little crazy and had some spare cash) wanted to convert it to a stick and put an LS2 stroker in her. Hmmmm. Yea, I won’t ever do that again. But anyways, back to my story. So I went to Lethal Performance in San Antonio and had them do the engine swap and I had my parts department order all the OEM parts I needed to do this absolutely insane project. I had them stroke a brand new OEM LS2 to 402 cubic inches and installed a custom grind comp cam for an aggressive lope. I also installed the magnaflow exhaust.

While it sounds like a beast there were some unexpected results from the transformation to a stick that I had to live with. First, the traction control light stays lit because that feature was not available with a six speed. The second issue is that the gas gauge will not function correctly. It will work for the most part when the tank is full. But as you deplete the gas, the gauge will flutter towards the empty mark especially when punching it hard or sometimes at certain cornering on streets. It will settle back to it’s position and then read fairly accurate until you punch it again. And of course the audible warning will sound when it goes into the empty red line, but will stop when the needle settles back to it’s original position. Kind of hard to describe. But it’s a small price to pay for a car that sounds like a beast!! Just keep her full is my advice. Everything else functions as it should.

One upside is that is still has a Major Guard General Motors Extended Service Policy that is effective till 04/13/2013 or 71985 miles, whichever comes first. My guess is that you will hit the date before the miles since it has only about 31400 miles on the odometer.

The last thing I did is install some custom brakes. Let me say this upfront. I will NEVER do business with Revolution Brake nor HorsepowerFreaks ever again. Kevin, from Revolution Brake and HP Freaks both jerked me around in my attempt to build some custom brakes for the car. HP Freaks failed altogether to help me and I ended up swallowing about $2k because they refused to accept the rear brakes back.

Kevin from Rev Brake was, what I thought, a nice fella at the beginning when I explained what I wanted to accomplish and what I had just gone through with HP freaks. He assured me it could be done. So it took almost 2 years of going back and forth and trying to get the right template (along with some bad designs that had to go back) until we had the right fit. In the end the brakes looked really awesome they stopped the SSR on a dime; however, there was a tiny drawback that I had to live with. For whatever reason, at around 60-65 MPH there is a very slight vibration that I told Revolution Brake about and at first it seemed like Kevin would help me. But in the end he was just like any other dishonest business person and he told me that nothing could be done and he stated “when you start changing the dynamics of the vehicle, something can go wrong”. Oh so nice of him to tell ME AFTER THE FACT. Go figure. I did send it to a shop to do some on car balancing and that eliminated most, but not all of that vibration at about 60-65. It’s very minimal slight and can only be felt at about 60-65. My suggestion. Keep it below or above this speed and it will be fine.

Recently, I gave her a fresh coat of paint at our paint shop and I also had the back glass, driver side glass and review glass on driver side replaced. There was some scratches on the car to address that happened recently when we had a wind storm come through San Antonio. Some of the shingles came loose and left scratch marks on the glass and paint. I replaced all 3 glass items with brand new OEM parts from GM.

So that is the story of my SSR. It has been a fun journey and now it’s time to let someone else enjoy her. Oh yes and most important. SHE HAS NEVER BEEN WRECKED. That is a plus.

She does have some minor blemishes here and there, but it is a used vehicle. The front passenger rim was repainted so the inside has a darker and rougher texture to it. The center console door still goes up and down, but the front tab on the inside broke so it opens freely. Not that big of a deal.

I will post more info as needed and I am working on another video with some stills so please give me till this evening to post to youtube.

Thanks

David

As for those who were displeased about the camera in my lap, I was merely trying to show what it sounded like when I was shifting and without a passenger I didn't want camera shake. It was a quick idea so sorry if it was not to your liking. I can't please everyone. So thanks to those who could appreciate what I was trying to accomplish..
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
More video of my SSR with the stereo pumping some bad azz jamz!

2003 Chevrolet SSR features and sound system..LS2 with custom cam - YouTube
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Price?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:39 AM
LOP
Super Moderator

My SSR:
'05 Auto Redline Red #20727.... Born on 05/05/05...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvara View Post
Yea, sorry about that. LOL! I was just trying to give viewers the idea of what it sounded like when shifting. Sorry for the hairy knee!
I was joking...

Please Note.. Any spelling and/or grammer mistakes are copyright of the author.. Mistakes will be numerous and common...
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Quote:
I was joking...
Bahahah!! Good one!
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:05 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
I am posting this to see what kind of interest I get in any buyers. Here is a video to get an idea. I have to post the story of what has been done to her so please wait to make offers if interested til later this evening when I give you the complete details. Thank you.

here is a video of her.. I had trouble viewing it earlier so you might have to reload her.

SSR with custom cam, magnaflow exhaust, LS2 stroker for sale!! - YouTube
WOW that is a cool truck. You must have pumped a fortune into it. I am going to post the sweet sounds of your performace sound clip here:

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f35/...t-sound-53954/

If you list your vin # someone will post your original build sheet.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:17 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
No you did not...
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
"Kate" a Haughty Redhead, '06 Redline FPR 6 spd. #23333 Build Date 2/16/06
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMsToy View Post
WOW that is a cool truck. You must have pumped a fortune into it. I am going to post the sweet sounds of your performace sound clip here:

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f35/...t-sound-53954/

If you list your vin # someone will post your original build sheet.
It is 3B102052 but I do not have the Build Sheet.

"Such are the Vagaries of Life"
Ah, I'm Just Truckin' With Ya!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash View Post
It is 3B102052 but I do not have the Build Sheet.
It's kinda messy, but I pulled this off the GM website. I have access since we are a franchised Chevrolet store to the build history, warranty and service history of my vehicle. Kinda cool!
Option Codes

*IVH is not the definitive source of GM Vehicle RPO information and is intended for service reference only. Should there be any questions about the vehicle's original build or RPO information please refer to the original vehicle invoice or window sticker.
192 - EBONY 19I - BLACK INTERIOR TRIM
1SB - 1SB PREFERRED EQUIPMENT GROUP CONSISTS OF: ENGINE COVER INSERT MEMORY PACKAGE -SEATS,RADIO,DIC HEATED DRIVER & PASSENGER SEATS ELECTROCHROMIC MIRRORS: INSIDE REARVIEW & LEFT O/S REARVIEW HOMELINK AM/FM STEREO W/IN DASH 6 CD BOSE PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM 41U - ONYX BLACK
6DL - SUSPENSION 73P - STERLING SILVER WHEEL FINISH
7DL - SUSPENSION 8KL - SUSPENSION
9KL - SUSPENSION A31 - POWER WINDOWS
A95 - HIGH BACK RECLINING BUCKET SEATS WITH FLOOR CONSOLE AAB - MEMORY DRIVER CONVENIENCE PKG
AJ1 - DEEP TINTED GLASS AJ7 - DR/PASS FRT & SIDE AIRBAGS
AU0 - KEYLESS REMOTE DOOR LOCK B30 - WHEELHOUSING & FLOOR CARPETING
BCP - ENGINE COVER INSERT BKF - CUSTOMIZED FLOOR MATS ***DEALER INSTALLED***
C49 - ELECTRIC REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER CJ3 - CLIMATE CONTROL
CTD - CARGO NETTING PKG CONSISTS OF CARGO NET, ONE CROSSBAR AND FOUR TIE DOWN RINGS ***DEALER INSTALLED*** DJ2 - ISRVM LT SENSITIVE HOME CONV
DNR - DEALER INSTALLED EQUIPMENT DR2 - MIRROR O/S LH & RH REMOTE CONT ELECTRIC,HEATED LT SENSITIVE, MANUAL FOLDING, COLOR
E55 - TAILGATE BODY EB6 - GVW RATING 6,050 LBS
ERK - CARGO COMPARTMENT TRIM W/WOOD EVA - EVAP EMISSION REQUIREMENT
FE9 - 50-STATE EMISSIONS G80 - LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL-REAR AXLE
GT4 - REAR AXLE - 3.73 RATIO JF8 - BRAKE VAC POWER, 4 WHL DISC
JJA - PT DRESS SUBASSEMBLY INSTALLED K34 - ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROL WITH RESUME SPEED
KA1 - HEATED FRONT SEATS KG3 - 145 AMP ALTERNATOR
LM4 - VORTEC 5300 V-8 SFI ENGINE M30 - 4-SPD AUTO TRANS W/ OVERDRIVE AND ELECTRONIC CONTROL
N40 - POWER STEERING NF4 - FEDERAL EMISSIONS
NW7 - TRACTION ASSIST OLF - PLANT CODE - LANSING, MI
PD7 - WHEEL, SPARE DELETE PZ7 - WHEELS, 19X8 FRT, 20X10 RR
QMX - TIRE, ALL MIXED SIZES FRT & RR RAE - INTEGRATED SIDE SADDLE STOR. ***DEALER INSTALLED***
SLM - STOCK ORDERS STW - LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL W/CONTROLS
T61 - DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS T96 - FRONT FOG LAMPS
T98 - STAMPING VEHICLE IDENT NUMBER U68 - DRIVER INFO CENTER DISPLAY
U73 - FIXED MAST ANTENNA UA6 - THEFT DETERRENT ALARM SYSTEM
UC6 - AM/FM RADIO,RDS,6 DISC CHANGER, AUTO TONE CONTROL, AND ETR (REPLACES STD/OPT PKG RADIO) UQA - BOSE PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM
V73 - STATEMENT OF VEHICLE CERT.-U.S. /CANADA VK3 - FRONT LICENSE PLATE MOUNT
VXS - COMPLETE VEHICLE LABEL X88 - CHEVROLET CONVERSION
YC5 - LT DECOR YD3 - BASE EQUIP FOR SCH GVW PL-FT AX
YD5 - BASE FRONT SPRING YD6 - BASE REAR SPRING
Z82 - HEAVY DUTY TRAILERING EQUIPMENT ZQ8 - SPORT HANDLING PACKAGE
ZY1 - SOLID PAINT
Added Option Codes
Vehicle has no current record of SAIO codes.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Allen View Post
Price?
Sorry about the late post. I am kinda lost on how to price it and I am also torn now because as soon as I posted this, one of my coworkers jumped in and said they wanted a shot at the purchase. He is a great fella who has been with us for many years. But he could always back out at the last minute or change his mind so shoot me an offer based on the market and let me see if it's reasonable.
I know I put some major coin into her and I want to see if I can gt some of it back. Some say I can others say I won't. Hmm.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Price for LS2 stroker with cam

Sorry for not posting a price. I do have a coworker who has expressed an interest in the SSR, but he has not made a final decision. If he backs off, she is available. I do have one person who has PM me so if others are interested let me know. I will inform others of the offers to see who is most interested. I looked at market value. Then I thought of all the money I put into her (yea I know I won't get all of it back). I spent a good 6k on the brakes, about 14-15k on the OEM parts including the crate LS2 which was stroked and about $1000 on a stereo system that will knock your sox off!! :rock

So my price starts at $25k OBO. Thanks for looking...
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 06:35 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
SSR STORY

My SSR story is an interesting one so bare with me. I bought it back in 2003 from our dealership. It is our familyís Chevrolet store and so I wanted it in my name. It was one of the first production SSRs from Chevrolet. It was originally all black so the first thing I did was I had our Collision Center paint it silver on top. I didnít care for GMís silver so I opted for a more brilliant shade with some metallic fleck in it. I give credit to my awesome painter, Richard Alderete who works in our collision center and has been with us for many years. He also painted the front grille slits on the front. If you remember, the two tone SSRs from the factory were only painted the top color to the edge of the hood. Then we contacted a local pin striping company and they painted a cool design in red along the sides ending at the back.

The next thing I did take it to a friend who is an absolute wiz with electronics and had him build a custom stereo for it. It was painstaking work for him, but I knew it would be the best stereo ever done just because Fred goes all out on his work. And he did! He put a small subwoofer in the wall behind the passenger seat and mounted the amp behind the driver seat. I told him one of the things that annoyed me about a lot of aftermarket shops was their inability to retain the factory chimes and functionality of the original equipment. He told me no sweat and in the end he wired the chimes to a pair of rear speakers behind the seat. And the sound is to die for!! I am an audio FREAK and love great sound and the system he built for my SSR was just right! Iím telling you this guy is one of the best!!

After I did the stereo I was restless for power so I had a supercharger installed and I had that for a few years with the original 5.3 it came with. At this point I got really crazy and (donít ask me why, but I guess I was a little crazy and had some spare cash) wanted to convert it to a stick and put an LS2 stroker in her. Hmmmm. Yea, I wonít ever do that again. But anyways, back to my story. So I went to Lethal Performance in San Antonio and had them do the engine swap and I had my parts department order all the OEM parts I needed to do this absolutely insane project. I had them stroke a brand new OEM LS2 to 402 cubic inches and installed a custom grind comp cam for an aggressive lope. I also installed the magnaflow exhaust.

While it sounds like a beast there were some unexpected results from the transformation to a stick that I had to live with. First, the traction control light stays lit because that feature was not available with a six speed. The second issue is that the gas gauge will not function correctly. It will work for the most part when the tank is full. But as you deplete the gas, the gauge will flutter towards the empty mark especially when punching it hard or sometimes at certain cornering on streets. It will settle back to itís position and then read fairly accurate until you punch it again. And of course the audible warning will sound when it goes into the empty red line, but will stop when the needle settles back to itís original position. Kind of hard to describe. But itís a small price to pay for a car that sounds like a beast!! Just keep her full is my advice. Everything else functions as it should.

One upside is that is still has a Major Guard General Motors Extended Service Policy that is effective till 04/13/2013 or 71985 miles, whichever comes first. My guess is that you will hit the date before the miles since it has only about 31400 miles on the odometer.

The last thing I did is install some custom brakes. Let me say this upfront. I will NEVER do business with Revolution Brake nor HorsepowerFreaks ever again. Kevin, from Revolution Brake and HP Freaks both jerked me around in my attempt to build some custom brakes for the car. HP Freaks failed altogether to help me and I ended up swallowing about $2k because they refused to accept the rear brakes back.

Kevin from Rev Brake was, what I thought, a nice fella at the beginning when I explained what I wanted to accomplish and what I had just gone through with HP freaks. He assured me it could be done. So it took almost 2 years of going back and forth and trying to get the right template (along with some bad designs that had to go back) until we had the right fit. In the end the brakes looked really awesome they stopped the SSR on a dime; however, there was a tiny drawback that I had to live with. For whatever reason, at around 60-65 MPH there is a very slight vibration that I told Revolution Brake about and at first it seemed like Kevin would help me. But in the end he was just like any other dishonest business person and he told me that nothing could be done and he stated ďwhen you start changing the dynamics of the vehicle, something can go wrongĒ. Oh so nice of him to tell ME AFTER THE FACT. Go figure. I did send it to a shop to do some on car balancing and that eliminated most, but not all of that vibration at about 60-65. Itís very minimal slight and can only be felt at about 60-65. My suggestion. Keep it below or above this speed and it will be fine.

Recently, I gave her a fresh coat of paint at our paint shop and I also had the back glass, driver side glass and review glass on driver side replaced. There was some scratches on the car to address that happened recently when we had a wind storm come through San Antonio. Some of the shingles came loose and left scratch marks on the glass and paint. I replaced all 3 glass items with brand new OEM parts from GM.

So that is the story of my SSR. It has been a fun journey and now itís time to let someone else enjoy her. Oh yes and most important. SHE HAS NEVER BEEN WRECKED. That is a plus.

She does have some minor blemishes here and there, but it is a used vehicle. The front passenger rim was repainted so the inside has a darker and rougher texture to it. The center console door still goes up and down, but the front tab on the inside broke so it opens freely. Not that big of a deal.

I will post more info as needed and I am working on another video with some stills so please give me till this evening to post to youtube.

Thanks

David

As for those who were displeased about the camera in my lap, I was merely trying to show what it sounded like when I was shifting and without a passenger I didn't want camera shake. It was a quick idea so sorry if it was not to your liking. I can't please everyone. So thanks to those who could appreciate what I was trying to accomplish..
Did a Fanatic buy this truck
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 07:08 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
All I can say is "Lots of Luck" In your third paragraph from the bottom you say "it's time to let someone else to enjoy her" I'm sorry but I couldn't enjoy an "R" that vibrates at 60 to 65, gas gauge doesn't work properly and the TC light stays on. Those 3 things would really annoy me. Sorry to be so negative, nothing personal, just the truth. tennesseecozydog
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 08:13 AM
SSR Pit Crew

This thread is three years old.....
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
"Kate" a Haughty Redhead, '06 Redline FPR 6 spd. #23333 Build Date 2/16/06
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Allen View Post
This thread is three years old.....
....and this SSR has changed hands a couple times since Dave owned it

"Such are the Vagaries of Life"
Ah, I'm Just Truckin' With Ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR for Sale Sections > SSRs for Sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in