Private SSR Investigator
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
"Kate" a Haughty Redhead, '06 Redline FPR 6 spd. #23333 Build Date 2/16/06
Garage
NADA Values

As I understand this, NADA values are what USA banks rely on as a loan measure
Currently, NADA has reduced the value of the SSR significantly
As an owner and lover of the SSR I do anything I can to maintain or raise values of our beloved SSR
Most of you know I work with Nfwy Hyundai, who I also believe works very hard to maintain our values
However, they also have to purchase SSR's within bank value guidelines

I can get into their history with our SSR - sold over 600 to date, but at this point it is relevant but maybe not relevant to reality
Banks influence values, as they rely on NADA numbers

My thought is most SSR buyers are cash people - not relying on financing.
It sounds like I might be a tad wrong in this - maybe more US guys borrow to buy the specialty vehicle than what I would expect.
Regardless- it does affect us as owners

Anyway, it sounds like we SSR Fanatics are taking a bit of a pounding recently
At the end of the day, it only affects us as buyers or sellers
Good news for buyers - bad news for sellers
For those of us that are in for the long haul - just pisses us off!
Florida John likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Such are the Vagaries of Life"
Ah, I'm Just Truckin' With Ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 09:00 AM
Genuinely SSR Obsessed

My SSR:
2006 Black FPR #24031 BOD=3/14/2006 The Black Knight
Thanks for the in-depth analysis Ca$h.

I never had any reason to pay attention to NADA figures because just as you describe, I LOVE my SSR.

But nothing really new there. As I look back, I have always bought "motor vehicles" not really with my checkbook but rather with my heart.

===============
David

tennesseecozydog likes this.

=========================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Livin' the Dream; Thanks Chevrolet
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 09:24 AM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
Interesting stuff, Dale . . .

However, from what I have noticed by being a frequent viewer of Mecum and Barrett-Jackson Auctions on TV, I believe your observations span all vehicles, not just SSRs.

Although tough to assess the value of any vehicle via the TV, it is fairly obvious they all have "peaks and valleys" from show to show as well as location. "Keeping up" for the NADAs and KBBs out there must be extremely difficult.

Bottom line . . . except for some very extenuating circumstances, vehicles overall do not make good investments.

Just Say NO To BBQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 09:42 AM

My SSR:
Yellow 2005 with the 6 speed manual
Send a message via Yahoo to JRWyatt
As a former car dealer, I can attest to the fact that the NADA book is the least accurate of all the automobile value guides.
S2NAZ likes this.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWyatt View Post
As a former car dealer, I can attest to the fact that the NADA book is the least accurate of all the automobile value guides.
Am I incorrect on who the banks generally accept as value guides?
I have access to a system that gives me Nada and Manheim numbers
I don't like the NADA stuff either, but is that what we live with?

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOPHUS View Post
Interesting stuff, Dale . . .

However, from what I have noticed by being a frequent viewer of Mecum and Barrett-Jackson Auctions on TV, i believer your observations span all vehicles, not just SSRs.

Although tough to assess the value of any vehicle via the TV, it is fairly obvious they all have "peaks and valleys" from show to show as well as location. "Keeping up" for the NADAs and KBBs out there must be extremely difficult.

Bottom line . . . except for some very extenuating circumstances, vehicles overall do not make good investments.
Yes Curt - it isn't as though they are targetting SSR's specifically - it is an across the board thing
Not sure how to resurrect the situation other than to hang in on pricing
Maybe a test is to see if retail dealer pricing changes
I think Nfwy has adjusted a bit - Gandrud has 3 Pac Blues in the mid $40's, so they definitely have not made any adjustments
tennesseecozydog likes this.

post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 11:55 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

I don't go on NADA or any other Price Values I go by what I want and like if it speaks to me I will buy it regardless of price
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 12:32 PM

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red aka Rojo
When I started looking for an SSR I never looked at the book value. Checked the fourm, autotrader, craigslist etc.and that gave me a pretty good indication of what I would have to spend for what I wanted. After a few months I made a decision and pulled the trigger. It would be interesting to know how many actually get financed.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 02:04 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Black with 6.0 and six speed. Found it in PA with 10,377 miles. Going to use it as my summer ca
Nada

My thoughts.
Buy what you want if you have the cash and the deal is good.
Do not rely on NADA, but use as a loose reference.
All cars are a bad investment unless you keep them for 40 years (Camaro as an example).
Enjoy what you buy.
I am driving mine daily, and it has some chips, but my daughters know they will get what is left of them. I gave my oldest daughter, she was 38, my 96 Trans Am WS6 with 16,000 miles for her birthday two years ago. She said she was my favorite. She drove it to prom when she was 18. She deserved it. The value meant nothing to me, but it meant to world to her. Protects it like a check book.
Again, I am not saving them for anybody else. Let your heart make the purchase.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 02:07 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

I agree with Medina 110%
tennesseecozydog and 06-SSR like this.
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 02:45 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
John4598, /N2CRUZN and Medina, my thoughts exactly !!!

I know I have said this many times on this web site ... 9 years ago I paid $3,000 more than I wanted to pay but ... it was exactly what I wanted and it was literally "in our back yard" (just 50 miles from the house) and had the cash in hand.

If they go up or increase in value ...GREAT, if not well that's the American way. 10 years from now, when the 03's are close to 25 years old and low mileage, they may start being more collectible. Please, SSRfanatics drive 'em and enjoy 'em. They are one fun toy. tennesseecozydog
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 02:47 PM
SSR Fanatic

My SSR:
06' Pac Blue #123244 w/Chrome Pkg, Born on date of 12-21-2005... Sadly Sold Pac Blue #121631 in 09'
Garage
I had to finance my SSR. I was blessed with a great deal from the original owner who was more concerned about the new owner loving the truck like he did... That being said, no issues with the bank loan.

Hope it doesn't prevent others from purchasing one of these awesome little trucks!
06-SSR likes this.

"HUAW" = "Hooah", Its an ARMY Thing! Which can mean nearly anything that is Awesome or Positive!!! Just like a CHEVY SSR!!!
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 02:54 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Black with 6.0 and six speed. Found it in PA with 10,377 miles. Going to use it as my summer ca
agree

I agree with HUAW. If your spouse is in on it, do it. My wife is the greatest. She always says "you work hard for what you want, just do it". I wished sometimes she said "F-no". She is my prize in life. Just sayin'.
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 03:08 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

I just bought mine 2 months ago a Slingshot Yellow a 2005 automatic with 85,000 miles on the clock I paid about 2500 more than I should have but it was exactly what I wanted and I do not regret it for one second I Love My R
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 03:34 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina SSR View Post
I agree with HUAW. If your spouse is in on it, do it. My wife is the greatest. She always says "you work hard for what you want, just do it". I wished sometimes she said "F-no". She is my prize in life. Just sayin'.
HA! My wife said "if you want one get it", 3 years ago when we saw one on the road and I commented how I didn't understand why they didn't sell any better than they did when they came out! So I looked on the internet, compared prices, saw one at North Freeway, call and asked them to hold it a few days for me to go look at it. It was everything I wanted, but after coming down a little, I said OK. I still paid a few thousand more than I wanted to, BUT, It was what I wanted so I went to the bank, got a cashier check went back, paid the man, told him I'd be back in 3 days to drive it home!
Then in Feb. this year, after working on an Ultra Violet for someone, I told her that's the only other color I would buy and asked her if she would like one. She said "only if you will let me drive it!" So I started researching prices only on U.V.'s. I found in Pikeville Kentucky, called and asked if they would hold it a week till we could look at it. We rented a car, drove there, surprisingly pleased, surprisingly cheap, wrote a check, called the prearranged transporter, told him "go get it" and made a mini Vacation of the rest of the week. SOOOOO be THANKFUL for understanding SPOUSES, both ways!!! Oh-----no books involved, ever.

Nick & Kathy

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 04:55 PM
High Plains Roadster
Supporting Member

My SSR:
A fabulous 2005 ricochet silver model with an automatic purchased in September 2017.
Garage
I think a lot of us are in the same boat.

Could I have negotiated my way down a few hundred or even a thousand? Maybe so, maybe not. As it was, when I bought my '05 SSR a short 6 weeks ago, I got a decent deal from the dealer.

I more likely would have gotten a better deal on some average vehicle or some weird thing no one else wanted.

We got this and my wife and I are 100% good with it. We are just waiting for the weather to warm up so we can drive it top down more often.

And I drive it every day to wherever I need to go. To church, to Wally World (Walmart), to the post office, wherever.

I did not buy it to have it sit an "appreciate" in dollar value but to drive it so we can really appreciate it!!
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 05:10 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWyatt View Post

Well, the NADA book may be the least accurate as you say............but if so, the story is even worse.

My experience has been that if you are a (seller), you would look to NADA for your pricing figures and why they are what they are.

On the other hand, if you are a (buyer), then you would much prefer the pricing offered up on the same vehicle as prescribed by (KELLEY BLUE BOOK).

While I have not made a comparison between the two in several years, when I did........NADA prices were several hundred dollars ABOVE what Kelley showed for the same damn deal.
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 05:39 PM

My SSR:
2004 UV B105918 Born on 2/23/04 Standard upgrades Jeremy tuned
Didn't find out about this site till after I bought my truck last year, always liked them from the first time they came out. Was at the dealer picking up a used truck for my brother in laws son when we walked out of the dealership and there was a UV parked there that a guy just traded in. Took it for a drive fell in love with it, less then 28,000 miles, running boards, carpet in bed, added lights in bed and underneath. Paid $21,500 was that a good deal I'll let you decide, seemed good to me. Like many have said sometimes you can't put a price on something you really want.
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 07:20 PM

My SSR:
In my opinion, banks that decide whether or not to fund a loan based of what NADA really don’t want that loan in the first place..
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 08:06 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Aquablur
Just My Story. Traded in a 2002 Corvette for a 2004 SSR(UV). Had it for 11 years. Sold it for a dumb reason. Looked for 2 years and found a 2005 Aquablue and bought it. Don't care what NADA or KBB say. Its an SSR thing. Just saying.
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 08:37 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
Great, great posts #1 thru #20 !!! tennesseecozydog
06-SSR likes this.
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:00 AM
kgb
SSR Pit Crew

It looks like a stock red 05 stick with 2385 miles went for $32,450.00 at LV Barrett -Jackson.
tennesseecozydog and 06-SSR like this.
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:38 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
A vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I enjoy my SSR a lot and I drive it. I have a rule which is There is nothing around my house that is going to have a better life than I do.

So I drive my stuff my 05 SSR has 112k my f150 235K 2012 chevy 105k handicap van 140k 04 thunderchick 93k so NADA would not think too much of my stuff lol.
tennesseecozydog and PokerGuy like this.
post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 06:35 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
I like your rule Frank. You bought them for a purpose and you're getting your use out of them.
My dad had a saying, "I don't want to wear it out" when I was young that he applied to everything that I thought needed to be used. In later years it became a running joke between us. He had a beautiful Olds 98 convertible and to this day I can't think of that top being down more than once or twice in the years he had it.

Dave
06-SSR likes this.
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:43 PM

My SSR:
And that didn’t include the “Buyers Premium” that the buyer had to pay.
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:51 PM
Tech Support/Research

Collector Car Price Guide

I see people at auctions referring to the "Collector Car Price Guide" for reference. Looking at the 2018 version, here are the values posted for a 2005 SSR.
Condition 1- Excellent, 95+ point show car=>$18,600
Condition 2- Fine=>$13,020
Condition 3- Very Good=>$9,300
Condition 4- Good=>$3720
Condition 5- Restorable=>$2,230
Condition 6- Parts Car=>$740

The only adjustment noted is to add 5% for an automatic transmission.

A recent Kelly Blue Book lists these basic values for a 2005 SSR:
Very Good Trade In=>$9725
Good Trade In=>$8875
Private Party Excellent=>$15,550
Private Party Good=>$10,650
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:10 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snomuncher View Post
I see people at auctions referring to the "Collector Car Price Guide" for reference. Looking at the 2018 version, here are the values posted for a 2005 SSR.
Condition 1- Excellent, 95+ point show car=>$18,600
Condition 2- Fine=>$13,020
Condition 3- Very Good=>$9,300
Condition 4- Good=>$3720
Condition 5- Restorable=>$2,230
Condition 6- Parts Car=>$740

The only adjustment noted is to add 5% for an automatic transmission.

A recent Kelly Blue Book lists these basic values for a 2005 SSR:
Very Good Trade In=>$9725
Good Trade In=>$8875
Private Party Excellent=>$15,550
Private Party Good=>$10,650

The 5% premium for an auto seems a bit odd. The 6 speed transmission is a significant upgrade over the auto.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:16 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
I will just drive mine worth more to me i have a 3k or more trip planned in november with it lol
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:17 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Pacific Blue, Auto, 3SS, with Chrome Pkg. Designated as GM Zone Show Vehicle.
Hagerty shows the following:
Current Values 2006 SSR Base
#1 Concours $41,100
#2 Excellent $32,100
#3 Good $23,100
#4 Fair $18,000

There appears to be a huge difference between value services. I am sure we all have a price an SSR is worth -- more if selling, less if buying, but value is truly what one is willing to pay. Even those on this thread indicate they may have paid too much but everyone seems satisfied and loves their truck. Isn't that what it is all about?

I know after going to my first Rally I am enjoying mine even more.
John F likes this.
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:54 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Everything you own is worth what you can get in cash in 24 hours.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR for Sale Sections > SSRs for Sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in