• 2 Post By Nape
  • 1 Post By oldxr
  • 1 Post By snomuncher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004, Smokin Asphalt Exterior, Black Interior, OEM Wheels (Painted Black), 55k Miles
Garage
Aqua Blue engine cover

The engine cover in my recently purchased 05 Aqua Blue SSR is molded plastic, flat black. I'm thinking about using tire trim to clean it up and give it a shine, but by experience I've found that such treatment rarely gives the desired results for an extended time. Have also thought about checking into having it painted, but I'm guessing that would be serious dinero. So I thought I'd check to see if any of you Fanatics out there might have the cover already painted and in good condition and you'd be willing to pay me to take it off your hands (okay, for those of you who lack humor, of course I'm kidding). Am I just fishing without a hook or is there a possibility that I might be able to find such a treasure. Nape
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:18 PM
BAD BOW TIE
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
They all come that way unless you change it or add some bling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR First pictures of Windsheild Banner 015.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	545455   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR First pictures of Windsheild Banner 016.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	545457   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR First pictures of Windsheild Banner 017.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	545459  
90 Fatboy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:52 PM
MY05SSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 6spd. Agua Blur
Garage
Try to see if the Aqua Blur paint is under black.
Check with oldxr up in Ohio. Dane did have a agua blur body he had for sale, he might have the engine cover.
Nice choice in colors, is yours a 6 spd or auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:16 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 PITCH BLACK, MUTH Mirrors, BGH Tips, Eibach's, Pioneer Navigation, Old school flames, air horns
Garage
You can paint the engine cover to match the Blur. Most all of these covers Iíve seen are all a gray/ black.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5D25FF8E-B3DC-41C1-B9C7-16A510704234.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	545527  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:59 PM
ONE OWNER !!!!

My SSR:
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
Garage
All I use is Jax Wax Tire and Trim Gel last me all season !!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1718.jpg
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	545551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1717.jpg
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	545553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1716.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	545555   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1715.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	545557  
Johnny B and bruce60 like this.

Jim & Sherrie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
James Dean & Misstadoo
"Blessings can be big or small, but be sure to count them allĒ
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:41 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 PITCH BLACK, MUTH Mirrors, BGH Tips, Eibach's, Pioneer Navigation, Old school flames, air horns
Garage
Nape....donít think it is all that expensive to paint the cover. Iím currently having the interior satin pieces painted and itís only $150. That includes the seat hoops as well.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:15 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur, #15535, auto, aux guages, Joe's tune, Mike's spare tire kit, upgrades, BOD: 9/24/2004
The engine covers were an optional item. They came in brushed aluminum as well as the all the factory colors. You will see them for sell at various times here on the forum as well as swap meets at the various Rallys. Originally, they were ~$70, but, as with everything lately it seems, your price may vary widely. Make sure you deal with a trusted source as there are also cheap knockoffs out there on the market.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004, Smokin Asphalt Exterior, Black Interior, OEM Wheels (Painted Black), 55k Miles
Garage
ABLUR 05: Mine's a six speed 05. Just bought it in Peoria, AZ and drove it back to Redmond, WA (Seattle suburb) so it now has 10.2k miles. Just had it dynotuned and, at least based on the temperature and other environmental factors, is putting out 373 HP at the wheels (about 438 at crank). I didn't think the AB would win me over from my 04 Smokin Asphalt, but the more I'm around it the more I love it. As a teen I had my first car painted Buick dark metallic turquoise and I remember how it was blue in the morning, green in the late afternoon and black at night. It was soo cool. Now i'm getting a similar spark from the AB. Thanks for the advice re finding one here on the forum or at the rallies I attend. The next one for me will be Penticton. Planned to show the SA 04 but now I'll be getting the 05 ready instead. If the cover will be available I'd like to have it for that show, but I can be patient, especially after seeing how great James Dean's look. I will certainly take that route until I find the replacement. Or, since I'm having some painting done this week (door handles and grill facia) I'll ask the shop what they will charge me paint the cover. Thanks all for your very kind remarks and advice. Nape
ABLUR05 and Blur'd Vision like this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Garage
Oops, sorry 12Pack, responded to Aquablur 05 to answer your question. Didn't mean to step on your toes. Hope we're still pals. Nape
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:44 PM

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur, 6 speed, 118667
Garage
Ya just GOTTA LOVE a 2005 Aqua Blur SIX speed!
I know I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
calook1967
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:14 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLUR05 View Post
The engine covers were an optional item. They came in brushed aluminum as well as the all the factory colors. You will see them for sell at various times here on the forum as well as swap meets at the various Rallys. Originally, they were ~$70, but, as with everything lately it seems, your price may vary widely. Make sure you deal with a trusted source as there are also cheap knockoffs out there on the market.
Just to clarify, I think Nape is looking for a painted plastic cover to replace the stock black one.

The item you're describing is usually referred to as an engine cover insert. The inserts are sometimes available. I sold a red one and a black one I didn't need any more, but I don't think I'll sell the satin one with several GM bigwigs' autographs, even though I can't use it now that I have a blower.

I don't know if Nape's new truck has an insert, but he could always borrow the one from his black truck before he sells it. I think all the 05s got one, but GM ran out of inserts sometime during the 06 model year. I don't think any of the FPR trucks got one.

Nape, if you're thinking of painting the stock cover, make sure whoever does it starts with plastic adhesion promoter, followed by some coats of primer to minimize the amount of sanding required to smooth it out. It will still require some sanding and more primer before painting.
ABLUR05 likes this.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:20 AM
LKMURKY

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calook1967 View Post
Ya just GOTTA LOVE a 2005 Aqua Blur SIX speed!
I know I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
calook1967
I dunno, calook: I just gotta love my 06 Blur Six Speed. Don't wanna get caught cheating on my R . . .
LKMURKY
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:52 PM
MY05SSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 6spd. Agua Blur
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nape View Post
Oops, sorry 12Pack, responded to Aquablur 05 to answer your question. Didn't mean to step on your toes. Hope we're still pals. Nape
Nape
No problem, we all luv the R, what ever color it comes in - as long as its a 6 speed
12Pack
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:48 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
As stated after this comment in the thread what is referred to here is actually the engine cover insert, and I do not recall it being available in Aqua Blur (edit:see note in post 16) and I know it was not available in Pacific Blue. As @Flassh stated GM seemed to have a shortage of those in 2006.
ABLUR05 likes this.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:13 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur
I have 2 aqua blur inserts and a painted aqua blur engine cover. PM me if your interested.
ABLUR05 and tinyssnowplows like this.

Jon & Jayne / The Britgits
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:17 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur, #15535, auto, aux guages, Joe's tune, Mike's spare tire kit, upgrades, BOD: 9/24/2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
As stated after this comment in the thread what is referred to here is actually the engine cover insert, and I do not recall it being available in Aqua Blur and I know it was not available in Pacific Blue. As @Flassh stated GM seemed to have a shortage of those in 2006.
Hi Dwight,

I mistakenly referred to the engine cover insert in my post as Ray pointed out in his reply.

You are mistaken about the Aqua Blur insert availability as the attached photo will demonstrate. This one was scratched by the hood liner and needs to be touched up. I have another new in the box, but I am feeling lazy right now and not inclined to dig it out.

David

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blur  SSR Engine Cover Insert.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	545769  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:40 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Nape never really explained which one he is talking about so I went back to the first posting and read it several times. I feel he is talking about the large engine cover that came in dark gray or black not the insert. The inserts are or can be painted the color of the vehicle or come in chrome. Not all SSR's had one. If Nape would go back and clarify which he is talking about it would make it easier to help him and answer his question. Hope that helps. Good luck.
ABLUR05 likes this.

Auggie Doggie <><
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:45 AM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:

Hi Dwight,

I mistakenly referred to the engine cover insert in my post as Ray pointed out in his reply.

You are mistaken about the Aqua Blur insert availability as the attached photo will demonstrate. This one was scratched by the hood liner and needs to be touched up. I have another new in the box, but I am feeling lazy right now and not inclined to dig it out.

David

Thanks for the correction I added a note to my post.
ABLUR05 likes this.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:42 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Thanks for the correction I added a note to my post.
The very original question in post #1 was posted by "NAPE" from Washington not ABLUR05.

Auggie Doggie <><
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Garage
I completed a very lengthy response that addressed many of the numerous comments and questions regarding my interests. After laboring over that response I hit the reply button and Poof, it was gone. Disappointing because it was so well thought out and expressed with such eloquence (but not preserved in case of deletion). I guess I'm just going to have to get over it. The gist of my comments were: yes, I am talking about the cover, NOT the insert. I already have the insert in the AB color (in fact, if I can acquire an AB cover I'll start a search for a CHROME INSERT). The cover is molded plastic, as a few of you have shown in your picture attachments and as shown best as identical to mine in Auggie Doggie's pics. JonJayne mentioned that he has 2 inserts and a cover, each in the AB color, so I will be sending him a PM to see if we can do some business. If not, thanks to a number of your responses I have options. As OLDRX suggested the cost to paint the cover just might not be all that much, or; the pic in JamesDean's response is very persuasive re just using JWAX Tire and Trim Gel (or equal). 12 Pack: yes, it's a 6 speed, a marvelous 6 speed, and as LKMURKY and calook 1967 have said "you just GOTTA LOVE...Aqua Blur SIX speed". To Flassh: thanks for your suggestions re painting the cover. If that's the road I take I'll be sure to share that with the body shop. Thank you all for your very helpful comments. (I'm now going to save this so I don't have to write it all over again. If it's lost again, upon reply, I'll probably just start a new thread with the title: More Aqua Blur Engine Cover). Nape
ABLUR05 and Auggie Doggie like this.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:24 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Garage
Nape.....look how many new Fanatic friends you just responded to in your elegant summary!🧐
Auggie Doggie likes this.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:34 PM
Tech Support/Research

Painted Engine Covers

Maybe time to resurrect a thread started in 2007 with ideas and examples of painted engine covers and inserts? Post them there, not in this thread.

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f99...inserts-16825/
ABLUR05 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR for Sale Sections > SSR Parts for Sale/Wanted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in