Need trailer hitch for my bike rack - Page 2 - Chevy SSR Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:46 AM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiman View Post
Here is a pic of what I did to solve the bicycle rack issue.. Not an expensive mod and works with all my towing needs

Well done, did the same to mine - now the damn thing is usable!

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sir Henry Royce, of Rolls-Royce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:53 AM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Doggie View Post
I agree. They are not making any more ORIS hitches and there are only so many out there. It is a shame to ruin one and take it out of circulation by welding on it. In defense it is his and he can do what he wants with it. My truck came originally with a hitch but as it changed hands before me it disappeared so when I bought the truck it was and is hitchless. I want to get one some day. My request is please don't ruin any more. Thanks.
I don't think Cadiman "ruined" anything. He modified it in a manner that it now has flexibility to actually perform multiple tasks with all the 2" square inserts that are available. You can slide in a bike rack or utility carrier or any offset head desired to level whatever you choose to pull. Sure, it doesn't look "stock", but it certainly isn't ruined!
BlueStreak likes this.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sir Henry Royce, of Rolls-Royce
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:33 AM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
In this modern day world we live in today, that is ruined, I mean run by lawyers, welding on the hitch may have ruined it from the manufacturers point of view. The hitch maybe heat treated to some point and welding on it will change that heat treatment. Even if it is not heat treated the manufacturer is going to exclude them selves from any liability by stating it was modified beyond what they intended it be used for. Now in 99% of the use age that these hitches will see, might it effect it? Probably not, but if god forbid something did happen, it could fall back on the person who modified the hitch. Now putting a bike rack off of it with the weight of less than 100 pounds would that ever effect it, most likely not. But if the person slide in a hitch and hooked up their travel trailer to move it across town, that may get into a whole different can of worms. And again it may not be the person who welded it and knew the limitations of what they did, but if it got sold and someone had no idea is where things could get cloudy.

I don't mean to be Debbie Downer here but I deal with product liability on a daily bases and we always fall back to our safe legal CYA manual and if it has been modified we are released of all liability because it is outside of what it was designed and tested for.
Auggie Doggie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:48 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitmidnite View Post
The potential for side to side movement is the reason I had the threaded rod added to mine. In addition to bolting to the hitch through the hole for the ball, the U shaped threaded rod drops through the rings for the safety chains. a nut and plate (think large washer) on top of the ring and a nut, lock washer and plate on the bottom ensure side to side movement is minimized. The attached picture shows it assembled.
I went by Harbor Freight today and the one they are selling has a smaller bolt that the hole in the SSR insert. It also has nothing on the body side of the bolt to attach anything to for prevention of rotation. I think using this for any weight would be asking for trouble. Just my $.02
IndianaCraig likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR for Sale Sections > SSR Parts for Sale/Wanted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in