Chevy SSR Forum banner

150th Golden Spike Anniversary and SSR’s

28K views 275 replies 39 participants last post by  SSReplay 
#1 · (Edited)
Make your plans now and come join the SSR’s that will be celebrating the 150th Anniversary of the Golden Spike. I’ve started this new thread so I could post the information as it becomes available as we plan this event. So please post your intentions here in this thread so I can keep track of people planning on attending.

More information:

https://spike150.org/

Link to original thread started by Stepchild

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f24/big-boy-locomotive-150th-golden-spike-anniversary-239105/

#74 ·
Unfortunately we are unable to attend this event. Our son and his now fiance decided it would be a good time to get married in Australia :surprise: so gosh darn it I guess we have to attend :wink2: Hope to see everyone in October for the International Rally.

Kelly & Cyndy

#77 · (Edited)
23 Days left to book your room

There are only 5 rooms left in our reserved booking that only last until the end of the month. They are already sold out for those dates so as soon as these rooms get released they will most likely get taken by someone else. So if your thinking of coming I would refer to post #2 and get your room booked ASAP!

#80 · (Edited)
Does anyone know who Earnie Mills is? He’s made a room reservation however I don’t know a forum name to associate it to.
Sending you a PM with his information. He was at the 2018 Beach. Oooops - add Cruise.:)

Reactions: ROPE
#81 ·
Please Add TICKLEDPINK !!

Good job on all you have done to make this really special. I just registered at Best Western and would like to attend the steak dinner - may have Dave, so please put me down for 2 . will update as we get closer !
Now, the hard part.......... WAITING !!!

Sue Campbell
:cheer::cheer::cheer:

#82 ·
Way to go Sue. You are a real longtime railroad fan doing many many tours all over on a lot of different trains and will really enjoy your trip to see Big Boy In operation. Hopefully Dave will be able to go. I know you will be able to tell all the train fanatics a lot about your train adventures all over the country. We would like to go, But I have to stay home and take care of my SSR trailer queen. Yikes. Donny Two Shoes

#84 ·
Thanks donny !!!

You know me - the biggest difficulty will be getting everything stuffed into the back - and if Dave does come with me, he has his walker that I might tie on the back end !!!! I plan to seek help in PACKING FOR TRAVEL - unfortunately, AAA does not teach that class any more !!!

Sue

#90 ·
So I still am only finding older videos, nothing about 4014 rolling out of the shop recently. The last I saw in any update that I'm subscribed to was that it is still in pieces. Progress is being made but even then it wasn't a positive thing it would be finished and running for May 10th. Word is it will be ready though, sure hope so cause that's my main reason for the trip!

#95 ·
Fuji .... do you mean ....

I shouldn't start packing until April rather than today ???
I always seem to have this problem.... I think I still have my H2 HUMMER and my incredible HiLo travel trailer!
(It took 2 men and 2 trucks and the H2 to unpack every nook and cranny of my trailer when I sold it! Doesn't every RVer carry 6 sets of dishes and wine goblets?)

Thank you for your nice suggestions
:blush-anim-cl::blush-anim-cl::blush-anim-cl:
Sue

#96 · (Edited)
I just got a link on my email from the "Union Pacific inside track" subscription about a new source for info on the Big Boy and the steam shop where it's being rebuilt. You can subscribe to it at http://up.com/SteamClub and they also have a Facebook page. On the inside track subscription is a new video with the latest news on the loco. The new steam club site says it will supply schedules for the runs so maybe we can get the details we are looking for there. If anyone is interested the Cheyenne Depot Days event is the following weekend May 18 and 19. Their site says that the steam shop and roundhouse will not be open though since the crew will be out with the Bigboy, which is good for us at Ogden... good indication they WILL be there.

#97 · (Edited)
Rr pin collectors

I'm sure there will be a bunch of wonderful pin collectors/sellers at this event....... thought I would share some of my collection purchased during the years as a member of the National Railway Historical Society and the many Steam Excursions I was lucky to enjoy, and, I did go all alone !!!

The big pin on #5 is the LGB for my outdoor RR. One of the LGB dealers gave it to me - oh wow !!!! I almost gave it to Dwight when he came to the NW to the Garden RR Convention in Seattle years ago.

Enjoy !!!
Sue

Attachments

#98 · (Edited)
From NRHS ..... INFO

It will be crowded... ADVISED TO BRING CHAIRS @GOOD WALKING SHOES ! Sue

2019 National Railway Historical Society Convention
Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - Saturday, May 11, 2019

Radisson Hotel Salt Lake City Downtown
215 West South Temple
Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
United States
(801) 531-7500

Email Us

Description

2019 ​GOLDEN ​SPIKE ​RAILS ​CONVENTION
NATIONAL ​RAILWAY ​HISTORICAL ​SOCIETY
SALT ​LAKE ​CITY, ​UTAH
MAY ​7 ​- ​12, ​2019

2019 ​marks ​the ​sesquicentennial ​of ​the ​completion ​of ​the ​transcontinental ​railroad ​at ​Promontory ​Summit, ​Utah. ​To ​celebrate ​this ​historic ​event, ​the ​National ​Railway ​Historical ​Society ​is ​holding ​the ​2019 ​National ​Convention ​in ​Utah. ​The ​dates ​of ​the ​convention ​are ​Tuesday, ​May ​7 ​through ​Sunday, ​May ​12, ​2019.

Our ​host ​hotel ​will ​be ​the ​Radisson ​Hotel-Downtown, ​215 ​West ​South ​Temple, ​Salt ​Lake ​City, ​Utah ​84101. ​The ​telephone ​number ​is: ​1-801-531-7500.

We ​will ​view ​the ​celebrations ​at ​the ​Ogden ​Union ​Station ​museum ​on ​Thursday, ​May ​9th. ​Two ​operating ​Union ​Pacific ​steam ​locomotives ​are ​slated ​to ​re-enact ​the ​touching ​of ​the ​couplers. ​The ​following ​day, ​May ​10th, ​we ​will ​journey ​by ​chartered ​bus ​to ​the ​Golden ​Spike ​National ​Historic ​Site ​at ​Promontory ​Summit, ​to ​view ​the ​150th ​anniversary ​ceremonies ​at ​the ​exact ​location ​of ​the ​joining ​of ​the ​Central ​Pacific ​and ​the ​Union ​Pacific ​lines.

On ​Saturday, ​May ​11th, ​we ​will ​travel ​by ​chartered ​bus ​to ​the ​Heber ​Valley ​Railroad ​to ​ride ​a ​chartered ​train ​over ​their ​entire ​line. ​That ​evening ​the ​NRHS ​has ​been ​invited ​by ​the ​Southern ​Pacific ​Historical ​and ​Technical ​Society ​to ​attend ​their ​celebration ​banquet ​in ​Ogden. ​Chartered ​buses ​from ​our ​hotel ​in ​Salt ​Lake ​City ​to ​Ogden ​and ​return ​are ​included ​in ​the ​ticket ​price. ​Other ​convention ​events ​will ​include ​the ​annual ​membership ​meeting.

Some ​other ​sites ​in ​Salt ​Lake ​City ​to ​consider ​visiting ​include ​the ​former ​Union ​Pacific ​and ​ ​the ​former ​Denver ​& ​Rio ​Grande ​Western ​passenger ​stations, ​Temple ​Square ​and ​the ​LDS ​Family ​History ​Library. ​The ​former ​D&RGW ​station ​houses ​the ​Utah ​Arts ​and ​Heritage ​Center, ​as ​well ​as ​the ​Research ​Center ​for ​the ​Utah ​State ​Archives. ​The ​original ​four ​commemorative ​spikes ​are ​planned ​to ​be ​on ​display ​at ​the ​Utah ​State ​Capital.

Please ​be ​aware ​that ​other ​groups ​will ​be ​hosting ​events ​at ​various ​venues ​in ​the ​Salt ​Lake ​City ​and ​Ogden ​areas ​throughout ​the ​week ​and ​access ​to ​venues ​may ​be ​limited ​or ​not ​permitted.

Please ​plan ​to ​attend ​this ​once-in-a-lifetime ​series ​of ​events ​marking ​the ​opening ​of ​the ​western ​United ​States ​by ​rail.

SPECIAL ​NOTICE:
Please ​be ​aware ​that ​the ​NRHS ​has ​little ​control ​over ​special ​events ​at ​the ​2019 ​NRHS ​National ​Convention.

The ​Thursday, ​May ​9th ​events ​in ​Ogden ​are ​controlled ​by ​the ​City ​of ​Ogden, ​the ​State ​of ​Utah, ​the ​Spike150 ​organization ​and ​the ​Union ​Pacific ​Railroad. ​As ​such, ​we ​have ​very ​limited ​input ​to ​how ​the ​event ​is ​run ​and ​organized.

The ​Friday, ​May ​10th ​events ​at ​Promontory ​Summit ​are ​controlled ​by ​the ​National ​Park ​Service ​and ​the ​U.S. ​Department ​of ​the ​Interior. ​

We ​have ​limited ​knowledge ​of ​the ​parking ​situation ​and ​of ​the ​distances ​that ​you ​may ​have ​to ​walk ​on ​unpaved ​surfaces. ​We ​do ​not ​know ​how ​much ​seating ​will ​be ​available ​at ​the ​event. ​We ​have ​been ​advised ​to ​encourage ​attendees ​to ​bring ​camp ​chairs ​with ​them. ​Very ​large ​crowds ​are ​expected. ​

There ​will ​be ​food ​and ​drink ​available ​for ​purchase ​from ​food ​trucks, ​but ​we ​have ​no ​idea ​how ​long ​the ​lines ​may ​be ​for ​service.

Please ​plan ​accordingly.

#102 ·
Thank you for the Information!

There have been fabulous videos of the restoration on UTube. The video of 2 Diesel engines towing the Big Boy from a museum in California across to Cheyenne was thrilling. The UP said the locomotive followed smoothly with just some minor lubrications to free the drive wheels.... amazing information.
Love everyone's excitement!
Sue

#103 ·
There have been fabulous videos of the restoration on UTube. The video of 2 Diesel engines towing the Big Boy from a museum in California across to Cheyenne was thrilling. The UP said the locomotive followed smoothly with just some minor lubrications to free the drive wheels.... amazing information.
Love everyone's excitement!
Sue
Ed Dickens said that the farther they went with Big Boy the freer it ran. You should go to the up website and checkout the video updates there. There are ones that are not on youtube.
As for the two diesels towing Big Boy back to Cheyenne. Those two engines were specially chosen for the move with diesel 4014 and 4884 sent from Cheyenne to California with the hospital train. The first diesel # was the same as Big Boy and the second was for the wheel arrangement of Big Boy 4-8-8-4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.