Big Boy locomotive and the 150th Golden Spike anniversary - Page 2 - Chevy SSR Forum
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 11:41 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 FPR #23615 ______ DOB 02.28.06
Garage
Motel Rooms Blocked

Okay, I’ve got a blocked of 30 rooms for May 8th, 9th, 10th & 11th and the availability to book more if needed. This block of rooms will expire on January 31, 2019 if all rooms aren’t booked.

Reference the following new thread for information:

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f24...-ssr-s-244137/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 06:09 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Reservation made for 3 nights. Took about 5 tries to get to the operator and then there was shock when I gave her the dates. Offer was for 1 queen, 2 queens, or a king room, all at the same negotiated rate. Emailed confirmation received before I hung up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #33 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
Thumbs up

Thanks Rope, will be making reservations tomorrow. Having spent much of my life in the motel business may I suggest a tip for calling this location since bluestreak had an issue already. Best time to call is late morning up to early afternoon. Try not to call from 5 to 8 as that is check in time when they are the most busy. Sorry not trying to be a know it all, just trying to help out. Thanks again to Rope for taking the time to get this set up for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 02:13 PM
HobbyBob

My SSR:
2005 slingshot,pinstriped/flame detail,OBX Long Headers,Mike's front plate, core supp, fan BORN9/14
Reservations made for 3 days. Thanks Rope!
post #35 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
So having gone through several desk clerks in my career let me say that anyone making reservations should not only get a confirmation number but call again another day to a different shift worker to confirm your reservation is indeed made. Desk clerk aptitude varies widely and I have concerns after making my reservation. Also since these reservations are so far in the future other calls closer to the date of arrival are a good idea. Again, not trying to be a know it all, just have a lot of experience in this business.
post #36 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 01:45 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Silver with Pink Ghost Flames, Pink Lettering & Flares with PINK Bow Ties on Rims!
PLEASE Don't forget ME

I was a member of the National Historical Railroad Association for nearly 20 years !! Went to as many Steam RR excursions as I could - all alone !! Am really interested in seeing this BIG BOY.....
I was all set up the ride the Challenger from Sacramento RailFair in '99, when UP pulled it because its' Sister 484 blew a gasket at RailFair the night before........ $1000 seat - thousands of excited followers along the route to the Keddie Wye - alas, UP gave the excursion a very dirty old yellow thing to replace the Challenger Locomotive. Perhaps it was fortunate because we were intentionally shut down on the way back by specially placed rock piles placed in such a manner to punch a hole in our diesel storage, which one finally did ! There was a lot of hustling about as the train had to be stopped and everything had to be shut down ...... finally, the engineer found a piece of wood to shove into the hole and get us off on a near siding. Very scary...
I was in the last car, photographing out the rear when I noticed piles of giant rock in the middle of the rail bed....... there was about five or six before the real damage was done. We were sitting in a huge spill of gallons of diesel fuel ! My car did have the conductor with us so we were able to find out what was going on while they had to figure out how to get us off the track QUICK. By the time we finally returned to Sacramento, it was late and we had just moments to detrain because our train was a DEAD train - never have I ever seen so many people fly off into the dark - me ? I had no idea where I was nor where the hotel was !!!

Sue
KRAUT likes this.
post #37 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
Well I was about to hit the like tab on tickledpinks post but I realized that I don't like the rock piles that some jerk piled on the tracks. Makes me wonder if they were targeting the Challenger locomotive itself because of the attention that trip was getting. It will never cease to amaze me how evil keeps rearing its ugly head. Glad you made it through ok tickledpink, hope to meet you at the event.
post #38 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 08:40 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
Getting old.

3917 is set up in North Platte Nebraska. My home town and where I lived until 2006. That is the Challenger series a 4 6 6 4 vs. a 4 8 8 4. I have visited it several times as North Platte is one of the biggest railroad yards in the world.

I have ridden the 3985 when I was a kid. We lived above the tracks about 3 miles away and watched the steam locomotive go by and the B36's fly over.

I am getting old I guess.

Dave
post #39 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:07 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
I guess I'm missing some of the story as to why a person or persons would go to the effort of sabotaging a piece of railroad history? How could anyone not love to see these beautiful locomotives on the rails after all these years?

Dave
Stepchild likes this.
post #40 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 02:48 PM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
I binge watched the AMC TV series "Hell On Wheels" on Netflix a while back. Got a whole different perspective on the first trans continental rail ways. Might be fun to make the run up from New Mexico and take part in this.
ROPE and Stepchild like this.
post #41 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
Thanks for the tip on the shows on Netflix. Gonna have to check those out. I've been watching you tube videos on it lately. Appears to be a lot of interest in this nationwide among the railfans.
post #42 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 12:15 PM
DSTRSSR

My SSR:
Supercharged, 4:10 gears, Mike's fan, stiffening plate, cooler, MPD's hood, magnaflow exhaust.
Reservations made from 8th - 12th Thanks Rope!
post #43 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 07:04 PM

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue #332 of 532
Was on UP's website and Big Boy will be in Ogden and not at the Promontory Summit site. There are several other interesting engines that are located there where Big Boy will be. One is the DD40AX Centennail the largest diesel engine made! So there will be the two biggest train engines made together there.

Making plans to go and see these two giants together!
post #44 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 07:36 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Blue SSR View Post
Was on UP's website and Big Boy will be in Ogden and not at the Promontory Summit site. There are several other interesting engines that are located there where Big Boy will be. One is the DD40AX Centennail the largest diesel engine made! So there will be the two biggest train engines made together there.

See post #31 for motel block!
post #45 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:18 PM

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSTR42 View Post
See post #31 for motel block!
Already looked at the motel you have posted. Getting time off from work and funds lined up to go.
Stepchild likes this.
post #46 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:58 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Phantom Black Metallic 05, 6.0 liter S.C. auto, Rear spoiler,Air Dam, Kooks headers,
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Blue SSR View Post

You are right 06 blue SSR the DD40 is the largest Diesel made, it is actually two GP-35's mated together into one loco with a North American, or, comfort Cab on the front. Also in the Odgen Museum is the most powerful loco's ever put on the track by the Union Pacific and that's the 3 unit G.E. Gas Turbine Number 26 and they also have a U.P. 4-8-4 in the same class as the U.P. Excursion train # 844 that runs around the country. All very big locomotives. Pic #1 is Gas Turbine Pic # 2 is DD-40AX and Pic # 3 is U.P. 833
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180619_151517.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	528559   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180619_151002.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	528561   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180619_150846(0).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	528563  
hdflstf and Stepchild like this.
post #47 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 11:45 PM
it's 5 o'clock somewhere!

My SSR:
Bought UV new 2005, Sold "PurLple" 2017. The fanatics filled our lives with love and laughter
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzr View Post
I binge watched the AMC TV series "Hell On Wheels" on Netflix a while back. Got a whole different perspective on the first trans continental rail ways. Might be fun to make the run up from New Mexico and take part in this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepchild View Post
Thanks for the tip on the shows on Netflix. Gonna have to check those out. I've been watching you tube videos on it lately. Appears to be a lot of interest in this nationwide among the railfans.
that show was filmed near Calgary Alberta Canada
Stepchild likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SANDY
custom made SSR leather goodies; for your SSR and you!
post #48 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:00 AM
High Plains Roadster
Supporting Member

My SSR:
A fabulous 2005 ricochet silver model with an automatic purchased in September 2017.
Garage
I live in Cheyenne and am in the process of planning (aka, planning to plan) a trip with my SSR to Ogden for this event.

It is often hard to plan from one day to the next, much less as far ahead as May next year!

We watched the series Hell on Wheels when it was on. Sort of a weird show but had its entertaining aspects. I read somewhere that it was voted the most inaccurate historical drama in history but the scenery was good.

Big Boy has been sitting in our Holiday Park for some time. It will be amazing to see it move!
post #49 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
We will be bringing the rv with the r on the trailer now. Staying at Century rv park in Ogden, not far from the Best Western. Plan on the whole week there.
post #50 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:17 AM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJA View Post
I live in Cheyenne and am in the process of planning (aka, planning to plan) a trip with my SSR to Ogden for this event.

It is often hard to plan from one day to the next, much less as far ahead as May next year!

We watched the series Hell on Wheels when it was on. Sort of a weird show but had its entertaining aspects. I read somewhere that it was voted the most inaccurate historical drama in history but the scenery was good.

Big Boy has been sitting in our Holiday Park for some time. It will be amazing to see it move!
Might be a different Big Boy. The one we are talking about is 4014 which has been in the shops for a while being rebuilt/restored.

post #51 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
Indeed that is another Bigboy, they have no plans to restore that one.
post #52 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 06:38 PM

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJA View Post

The Big Boy that is being restored is 4014 and was in Pomona California. All the others are still where they have been, including the one on Holiday Park.
post #53 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
Maybe KJA can share local news clips of info we could use for helping to plan events such as chasing the Bigboy from Cheyenne. We just happened to be in Cheyenne May 10th this year and saw a local news story about it. Sending a PM.
post #54 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:17 AM
High Plains Roadster
Supporting Member

My SSR:
A fabulous 2005 ricochet silver model with an automatic purchased in September 2017.
Garage
Yup, the one sitting in Holiday Park will not be making the trip. It has a really nice display around it though for people to stop by and learn some. There's a bunch of retired UP employees who live around here who man the display and give RR ignoramuses like me information about their business. I will stop by there today and see what is new.

Also, I will post a local newspaper story about a year old with a good description about how the one that will actually be making the trip is being restored.

Big Boy 4014 restoration still set for completion in 2019

By Ellen Fike, August 20, 2017 WYOMING TRIBUNE-EAGLE
Looking at Big Boy 4014 now, it almost seems like the monstrous engine could have been a vehicle in “Mad Max: Fury Road.”
That’s because the Big Boy people saw in 2014 when it arrived in Cheyenne has been completely disassembled.
It’s no longer covered in sleek black paint. Instead, it’s been stripped down to the bare bones, leaving it brown and covered in spikes and bumps.
Some days it doesn’t feel like much has been done to the Big Boy, but Ed Dickens, Union Pacific’s senior manager of heritage operations, noted that this isn’t the case.
“Part of the problem with a lot of the things we’ve had to recover from when working on the 4014 … is changing the way the locomotives are cared for,” he said. “The railroad did things differently years ago, back when you had thousands of steam locomotives, as well as thousands of people in dozens of facilities to maintain them.”
Unfortunately, that isn’t the case in 2017. The crew had to take a step back and figure out how to completely disassemble a train that was crafted in the 1940s, put it back together and make sure it’s essentially looks and runs the same as it did when it was crafted in 1941.
Today’s crew wants to make sure their work lasts years, which requires precision, concentration and dedication.
There is still much work to be done in the next 18 months. The goal is to complete the restoration by May 10, 2019, the 150th anniversary of when the golden spike was driven into the First Transcontinental Railroad. That final spike signified the completion of the joining of Central Pacific and Union Pacific’s railroads.
By that point, it will have been exactly five years and one day since the Big Boy rolled into Cheyenne. It had been previously housed in the Rail Giants Train Museum in California, where it had been since 1962.
The original projections had been for the Big Boy to be completed in three to five years. It looks like the crew is going to meet that extended goal.
Thankfully, the train was well-maintained during its life at the museum, which made the work on the steam shop crew exponentially easier.
There were only 25 Big Boy locomotives ever created, but only eight remain in existence. One is stationed at Holliday Park, but local train expert Jim Ehrenberger said it was heavily damaged during a flood in the 1980s, making it basically impossible to restore.
Reassembling the Big Boy is like putting together a large, intricate puzzle. The crew spent the summer of 2014 documenting the condition of the train, trying to figure out what parts they would need to manufacture or order from various companies around the world.
Removing and replacing the locomotive’s boiler has been a major factor in restoring the Big Boy. This is one of the biggest projects this small crew has had to undertake, even bringing in two 70-ton cranes to pull the boiler out of the locomotive.
“It’s a lot of little projects going on,” Dickens said. “One day, we’re working heavily on one item. Then, we’ll reach a point where we can’t progress any farther, so we move to the next phase. But, we’ve got everything in sequence so we can keep replacing the old with the new.”
It hasn’t helped that some of the crew’s focus has had to shift to the nearby No. 844 engine during the Big Boy’s restoration process. Dickens noted that the original plan in 2013 had been to obtain the Big Boy and bring it to the steam shop while continuing working and operating the 844.
The problem is they didn’t quite expect the 844 to be in the state it was.
“We knew we’d have to tear the 844 apart in a small way and make some repairs,” Dickens said. “The more we took it apart, the more problems we found. We found such a corroded condition on the exterior of the boiler and so many of its parts put together in such a way that didn’t give us a good feeling about its condition. So, we knew we’d have to take the entire boiler apart.”
In the end, all of the years of work will be worth it. Once it’s completed, the Big Boy will be considered the world’s largest operational steam locomotive.
Although the public’s appetite for updates on the Big Boy hasn’t quite been fulfilled, there will be multiple opportunities to tour the steam shop and get an up-close look at the engine.
Last year, Visit Cheyenne and Union Pacific teamed up to offer tours of the steam shop to the public. This was the first time anyone had been able to tour the area outside of Depot Days, which is held every May.
As a retired Union Pacific employee, Ehrenberger is looking forward to the day when the Big Boy is unveiled to the public, fully restored and ready to travel.
“I think once they’ve finally completed it, the Big Boy will be a masterpiece,” he said. “People from all over the world will want to see it. It’s going to be great.”
What’s been done to the Big Boy so far
Since the last update by the Wyoming Tribune Eagle in November 2014, here is what has been done to the Big Boy, according to Dickens:
• The boiler has been dissembled and is being replaced.
• The front engine has been removed.
• Obtained a litany of new parts that will require some machining and fitting to add to the locomotive.
hdflstf, Rampage and Stepchild like this.
post #55 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
Sorry but nothing new to report yet, just wanted to keep the thread active and hopefully get some more people coming.
post #56 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 11:49 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Location: Missouri Chapter. midwest close to Lake of the Ozark's mo.

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red 6 speed. chrome wheels, bed package, spoiler, most of Mike from Az accessories lol
Garage
Found the link for motel and SSR attendance list on the
150th Golden Spike Anniversary and SSR’s
if anyone is looking for them
post #57 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
Yea the thread started by Rope is the main thread for this event, thought I put a note about that on my thread but just looked and I never did that. As of today we're up to around 30 cars and nearly 60 people signed up.
post #58 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:45 PM
SSR Pit Crew

How many SSR’s have signed up for the run?
post #59 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:12 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Guy View Post
How many SSR’s have signed up for the run?
Looks like 27 SSR’s at this time.
Stepchild likes this.
post #60 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 12:19 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepchild View Post
Yea the thread started by Rope is the main thread for this event, thought I put a note about that on my thread but just looked and I never did that. As of today we're up to around 30 cars and nearly 60 people signed up.
Rope has a link in his post at the top of Page 2 of this thread and I added a Moderator note to Post #1 today.
Stepchild likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > America > National Events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in