Atlanta Motor Speedway - Chevy SSR Forum
 45Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Ret. Air Force
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Mazzy, 04 Silver, Custom Side Pipes, Flames on Doors, and One Sweet Looking @$$!!
Garage
Atlanta Motor Speedway

@Light Show and I went up to the Atlanta Motor Speedway today (15 May 18) and met with the Director of Events, in preparation for the 2018 Southeast SSR Rally in Warner Robins, Georgia.

After the meeting, Ted took us out to the track and let us take a couple of laps...
BSTPAPA, HUAW, TXNSSR and 11 others like this.

..."We live in fame or go down in flame."
(Hey! Nothing can stop the U.S. Air Force!!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:11 PM

My SSR:
2004 Sling Shot Yellow, purchased with 44,000 miles on February 26, 2018
Garage
And your top speed was?
CruDawg likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 02:34 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruDawg View Post
@Light Show and I went up to the Atlanta Motor Speedway today (15 May 18) and met with the Director of Events, in preparation for the 2018 Southeast SSR Rally in Warner Robins, Georgia.

After the meeting, Ted took us out to the track and let us take a couple of laps...
[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/images/smilies/ssr-silver.gif[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/images/smilies/ssr-silver.gif[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
KOOL. Music should be, "I CAN'T DRIVE 55".
CruDawg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Ret. Air Force

My SSR:
Mazzy, 04 Silver, Custom Side Pipes, Flames on Doors, and One Sweet Looking @$$!!
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat LeBlanc View Post
And your top speed was?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWT RYD View Post
KOOL. Music should be, "I CAN'T DRIVE 55".
Good song choice Robert, I didn't have that one in my library

Pat, 55 was our max speed...because the track was wet.

Took us ~2 minutes to complete a lap...in October we will complete 4 to 5 laps.
We are hoping to see speeds of up to 70 or 80, but that depends on a couple of things;
Good dry weather and the ability of our SSR drivers to behave on the track and follow AMS rules.

Obviously taking this track will not be about how fast we can go; folks should come to the track for the nostalgia of being able to say that they drove their SSR on the Atlanta Motor Speedway. One of four NASCAR tracks being offered this year!!
HUAW, Ross1957 and Corvettetom like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 07:50 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004-UV
Garage
Sweet ride....thanks for sharing
CruDawg likes this.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:10 AM
Spirited driver!

My SSR:
06 Slingshot Yellow #22949 Adopted 07/24/2017 @ 11,100 miles
SOOOOOO looking forward to this!
GGJOSSR and CruDawg like this.

If it don't turn you on when you turn it on, drive something else!

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Ret. Air Force

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerGuy View Post
SOOOOOO looking forward to this!
US TOO!!!

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:45 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
To be determined soon?
Quote:
US TOO!!!
"We live in fame or go down in flame" CruDawg we live about 8 or 10 miles south of the old Sewart Air Force Base in Smyrna, Tennessee, and I'm sure you know one of the Blue Angels lost his life there a couple of years ago. Captain Jeffery Kuss. It was pointed out to me last week at Bud's Tire breakfast that Rutherford County is the only county to erect a Memorial in Honor of the 26 or 27 Blue Angel's who have "Gone down in Flame" Do you know if that is correct concerning the Memorial ??? Bob Alexander
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:24 PM
SSR Addict

My SSR:
silver 04 Added Mikes Radiator support/fan, hood strut kit, rear deck struts, trans fix
good job on the video! should be a blast if we have good weather! either way it will be fun
CruDawg likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Ret. Air Force

My SSR:
Garage
...Deleted, Duplicate

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Ret. Air Force

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseecozydog View Post
"We live in fame or go down in flame" CruDawg we live about 8 or 10 miles south of the old Sewart Air Force Base in Smyrna, Tennessee, and I'm sure you know one of the Blue Angels lost his life there a couple of years ago. Captain Jeffery Kuss. It was pointed out to me last week at Bud's Tire breakfast that Rutherford County is the only county to erect a Memorial in Honor of the 26 or 27 Blue Angel's who have "Gone down in Flame" Do you know if that is correct concerning the Memorial ??? Bob Alexander
Bo-Zander,

It is true that the town of Smyrna is going to honor Capt Kuss with a memorial (Captain Jeff Kuss USMC Memorial)...
...but it would take a lot of time (more time than I have) to research and see if the other 26 or 27 pilots had memorials built for them.

I don't even think @Light Show would have the time for that...and he is a former Navy Electrician on the F/A-18!?!?

Speaking of Air Shows (& getting back to the theme of the thread)...the Atlanta Motor Speedway will be putting on a huge Air Show, one week after we take the track for the Middle Georgia SSR Rally!!

Alex
Light Show likes this.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 04:24 PM

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue #332 of 532
Quote:
Good song choice Robert, I didn't have that one in my library

Pat, 55 was our max speed...because the track was wet.

Took us ~2 minutes to complete a lap...in October we will complete 4 to 5 laps.
We are hoping to see speeds of up to 70 or 80, but that depends on a couple of things;
Good dry weather and the ability of our SSR drivers to behave on the track and follow AMS rules.

Obviously taking this track will not be about how fast we can go; folks should come to the track for the nostalgia of being able to say that they drove their SSR on the Atlanta Motor Speedway. One of four NASCAR tracks being offered this year!!
Dose this mean I need to bring my GTO instead of the R? When I went to Talladega, I bumped 170 going through the tri oval. So should be a easy 100 and lap Atlanta in a minute or less.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:36 PM
I

My SSR:
San Francisco Bay Area
Why is it that we go faster everyday on the freeways....
then what we do on a real racetrack ???
CruDawg likes this.

I Love Getting IN & Out of:
"TROUBLE"
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Ret. Air Force

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Blue SSR View Post
Dose this mean I need to bring my GTO instead of the R? When I went to Talladega, I bumped 170 going through the tri oval. So should be a easy 100 and lap Atlanta in a minute or less.
Phil, et al,

In all seriousness...any body within our group, or outside our group can run the track that day. If you have family members or friends that want to come and drive their Yugo, Lambo or Pinto around the AMS...sign em up!! Yes, @BSTPAPA they will even let the Subaru on the track!!

As far as getting to up 100, I wouldn't take your highest or lowest odds on that bet!!

Alex

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 01:12 PM
Dr Who
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
I'm sorry, but I am not sharing a track with a Yugo. Would spend too much time dodging parts falling off......
CruDawg and PokerGuy like this.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 04:44 PM
SSR Fanatic

My SSR:
06' Pac Blue #123244 w/Chrome Pkg, Born on date of 12-21-2005... Sadly Sold Pac Blue #121631 in 09'
Garage
The video was awesome! The raindrops on the windshield gave me a flashback from the Daytona Rally! The track was wet but it was still the coolest thing ever to drive on Daytona and doing Atlanta Motor Speedway in the same year would be awesome! Still praying I can make the trip!
CruDawg and TruckingeeSSR like this.

"HUAW" = "Hooah", Its an ARMY Thing! Which can mean nearly anything that is Awesome or Positive!!! Just like a CHEVY SSR!!!
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Ret. Air Force

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUAW View Post
The video was awesome! The raindrops on the windshield gave me a flashback from the Daytona Rally! The track was wet but it was still the coolest thing ever to drive on Daytona and doing Atlanta Motor Speedway in the same year would be awesome! Still praying I can make the trip!
Thanks Buddy!! My biggest regret was that I did not hit the wipers just prior to entering the track!!

I really hope you can make it Larry...we have a great line up of things to do, and the dinner banquet is going to be AMAZING!!
HUAW likes this.

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 06:52 PM

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue #332 of 532
Quote:
Phil, et al,

In all seriousness...any body within our group, or outside our group can run the track that day. If you have family members or friends that want to come and drive their Yugo, Lambo or Pinto around the AMS...sign em up!! Yes, @BSTPAPA they will even let the Subaru on the track!!

As far as getting to up 100, I wouldn't take your highest or lowest odds on that bet!!

Alex
I was talking about bringing my GTO instead of the R. As for hitting a 100 mph, we were to do 90 mph paced laps the day I was at Talladega, but as I had posted, we went a little faster then that! All they can do is tell you to leave an you will have already hit the fast speeds!
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 11:33 AM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
I was talking about bringing my GTO instead of the R. As for hitting a 100 mph, we were to do 90 mph paced laps the day I was at Talladega, but as I had posted, we went a little faster then that! All they can do is tell you to leave an you will have already hit the fast speeds!
That is true but, if you are with an organized group you have also set the reputation for that group and any future events they may want to plan.
Littlewing and SSReplay like this.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Ret. Air Force

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
All they can do is tell you to leave an you will have already hit the fast speeds!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
That is true but, if you are with an organized group you have also set the reputation for that group and any future events they may want to plan.

Phil I would really like to think you're just being playful and messing with me...that's the way I see your comments.

Here's what I know. We were told by the Director of Events to follow the instructions we will be given. Two of those instructions will be to follow the pace car and stay together (in other words, no hanging back or opening gaps just so you can speed to catch up). We will most likely go out in a couple of small groups; I am asking that each group follow the instructions, so as not to spoil it for those still waiting to take the track. And as Dwight clearly pointed out...nobody should want to spoil our SSR reputation or our chances of coming back for a future event.

If each group behaves on their first couple of laps, according to the Director, then the vehicle leading us around the track, MAY pick up the pace!!

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 03:39 PM
Crazy Horse

My SSR:
2005, Ricochet Silver, LS2 6.0 Engine, Manual Transmission, 54,000 mi.
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Light Show Send a message via Skype™ to Light Show
Ok, folks! Finally got my shaky video done of AMS. Shaky because I was having to hold the camera, shift gears and steer. OMG!!!!!
https://youtu.be/66VrT6X50D4k
CruDawg and oldfred like this.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 03:53 PM
Dr Who
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Show View Post
Ok, folks! Finally got my shaky video done of AMS. Shaky because I was having to hold the camera, shift gears and steer. OMG!!!!!
https://youtu.be/66VrT6X50D4k

looks like your having a hard time keeping up with Cruwdog...
CruDawg and Light Show like this.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:01 PM
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS

My SSR:
FIRST 06 Pacific BLUE 3SS with VYJ "Chrome" #145 of 532 Born on 9/9/05
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ssroe
We are driving Talladega this Saturday with Vetts4Vets. We are instructed to keep our speed above 70 to 80, same rules no holding back to slingshot but we hit triple digits last year.
We hope you all enjoy AMS no matter what speeds you hit, stay safe out there!!

Michael & Linda

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Ret. Air Force

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssroe View Post
We are driving Talladega this Saturday with Vetts4Vets. We are instructed to keep our speed above 70 to 80, same rules no holding back to slingshot but we hit 125 mph last year.
We hope you all enjoy AMS no matter what speeds you hit, stay safe out there!!
For all those who would like to drive their SSRs over 70mph...Please join Mike in Talladega this coming weekend.

Do not come to AMS expecting to hit 125, 100 or even 90.
We will be fortunate to hit 80...if everyone behaves!!
Just so you know.

Alex

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:55 PM
Crazy Horse

My SSR:
Garage
There is so much history on the Atlanta Motor Speedway especially in rememberance of all the great drivers of Nascar. Riding that track was a highlite of my life. "Respect the track or it will disrespect you!" by Mike Garner
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 06:11 PM
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS

My SSR:
Garage
Cool

"Just so you know", this family has driven many tracks all over the country over the past 12 years without having to be told to BEHAVE themselves over and over.

We will be in Pennsylvania at the Chocolate Covered Bridge Run, that weekend.
but again we hope everyone enjoys the rally.

A lot of members asked me in Maggie to remind them about Talladega sooner next year, I'll be sure to do that.
http://www.vettes4vets.org/wp-conten...afety-Page.pdf
tennesseecozydog likes this.

Michael & Linda

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Ret. Air Force

My SSR:
Garage
@ssroe Mike...instead of hijacking our thread to promote the Atlanta Motor Speedway, why couldn't you have just started your own thread to remind people about what you talked about in Maggie Valley!?!?

Where is an @Administrator when you need one??

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:00 PM
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS

My SSR:
Garage
I didn't hijack your thread, I made a comment. If you have something to say to me, say it offline!
tennesseecozydog likes this.

Michael & Linda

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:10 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
To be determined soon?
Quote:
@ssroe Mike...instead of hijacking our thread to promote the Atlanta Motor Speedway, why couldn't you have just started your own thread to remind people about what you talked about in Maggie Valley!?!?

Where is an @Administrator when you need one??

CruDawg, I can't believe you said this, that's not like you !!! Peace Brother Peace !!! tennesseecozydog
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 11:23 AM
Crazy Horse

My SSR:
Garage
Alex and I are working very hard to make our Rally in Oct a very enjoyable and SAFE event. This thread was about showing other Fanatics what they can look forward to and have a good time.
This was not a thread for creating an atmoshere of being competitive in going faster on another track. To drive my "R" that fast is a dangerous and silly thing to do in a truck that isn't a corvette! If you want to go that fast, buy a corvette. Not a bad idea anyway! Thank you, thank you very much!
SWT RYD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Chevy SSR Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > Southeast

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in