• 1 Post By Auggie Doggie
  • 3 Post By SSRNoir
  • 1 Post By xoxoxoBruce

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Tech Support/Research
Lifetime Supporting Member

SSR Article: "Doomed"

Here's another article in which the author offers his views on the SSR. He periodically writes on his web site articles about cars no longer manufactured using the "Doomed" byline.

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2015...ssr-2003-2006/
Veloce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:28 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Pacific Blue, Auto, 3SS, with Chrome Pkg. Designated as GM Zone Show Vehicle.
Pretty good article. Thanks.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 01:09 PM

My SSR:
2004 UV B105918 Born on 2/23/04 Standard upgrades Jeremy tuned
I like his quote "has yet to develop the cultic following of the Lil Red Express, the 454 SS and the Lightning", this guy has never been to a rally or get together with a group like the Fanatics. His and other people's loss that's for sure, once you cross over to the dark side of owning an SSR there's no turning back......the Permigrin and fun begins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 02:24 PM

My SSR:
Sadly sold '03 RED vin1337, '06(lastoneinblack) vin 24107..Sadly sold '04UV,'05SILVER,'06PACBLU FPR
I've read worse. Some points made, no matter how hurtful, are true. Some miss the mark. GM made a very lovable TRUCK, and like everything else offered to the consumer, you either love it (as I do), or you don't. Do I WISH they put in the LS2 and Tremac 6 speed (not the Corvette one, that's bogus), from the git-go ?, hell yeh ! Did that stop me from buying ? Hell no !!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
* The SSR’s frame was – like the Corvette’s – fully hydroformed. Instead of joining separate sections using welds – which were prone to inexactitude, even when performed by computer-controlled welding machines – the entire piece was extruded as a single assembly using extremely high pressure water and specialized forms. This process eliminated production variances from vehicle to vehicle and GM continues to use the process to this day.
What? I was under the belief the frame is a Long Wheelbase Trailblazer with 13 inches removed and welded back together.

But mostly he was right about problems. I didn't buy an '03 because they were too hard to get and the dealers were gouging. I bought an '06 because they were available and more reasonable. I probably wouldn't have if it were not a convertible, because I love the wind through where my hair used to be.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 03:01 PM

My SSR:
Sadly sold '03 RED vin1337, '06(lastoneinblack) vin 24107..Sadly sold '04UV,'05SILVER,'06PACBLU FPR
The Trailblazer EXT frame is Hyro-formed. Then, you are correct, it was shortened and welded behind the front wheel. The truth about the hyro-forming is, even the sections of that are welded together where the front clip is attached. There is also still a welded seam the length of both rails, just like a tube expanded into shape by water pressure.
The wind over the foundation for follicles is only a small part of the permagrin side effects.

http://www.americanhydroformers.com/...-hydroforming/
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 06:38 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Location: North Eastern Pennsylvania where it's seldom topless weather.

My SSR:
'05 Smokin Asphalt, 6 speed
Production numbers

Good article. I enjoyed reading it. The thing that struck me was relative production numbers for these Halo vehicles. As near as I can find, Chevy made about 16 thousand SS 454s, and Dodge made around 5 thousand Expresses per year......
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 07:07 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 #3800 slingshot yellow
Retractable hard top by ASC...."American Specialty Cars"...I always thought it was American Sunroof Company
BlueStreak likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 07:19 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 blur with chameleon ghost flames and Magna charger.
Thanks for posting the article. This is the first article about the SSR that for the most part is true and correct. I forwarded the article to all my friends. Both of them.

LITEMUP
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 11:54 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
03 Slingshot #2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce60 View Post
Retractable hard top by ASC...."American Specialty Cars"...I always thought it was American Sunroof Company
Initially ASC was American Sunroof but, somewhere along the way, changed their name to American Specialty Cars.
bruce60 likes this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 12:03 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister SSR View Post
Initially ASC was American Sunroof but, somewhere along the way, changed their name to American Specialty Cars.
I missed this post in September but loved reading it today. Thanks for the post @Snomuncher; and thanks for bringing it back to the top @Patton Road SSR;.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 12:34 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
I loved the 454 Chevy Pickup but never liked the Dodge. Some of my friends love my SSR others don't. I explain to them it is a limited addition Cult Type Vehicle that is very unique. You either love it or hate it. Think how expensive they would be to buy if everyone loved them. People try to compare them to a corvette or Tri-five Chevy but it took them all 60 years to be rare and coveted and worth $100,000 dollars. I love mine and the way it performs. Glad I could afford it and the GRINNING goes on.
Marc NY likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 01:44 PM
AZ SSR Daily Driver

My SSR:
SSRNoir (SSR black)
Hmmmm.......so I am driving in a mall parking lot just yesterday and a family of four stops to stare at my SSR. The little boy does a Home Alone face slap and grins. As I pass them they are taking phone pics. Yea....loving my "doomed" truck which I drive every day.

SSRNoir
2006 FPR SC Black
With so many mods from MikeinAZ that I have lost count...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 09:59 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Oh yes, and where most guys just look and maybe give a thumbs up, women don't feel the need to be cool. They will openly say something, especially older black women will come right up and gush how cool it is.
I even had a NY State County Mountie stop me to ask if I built it myself.
Definitely not the vehicle for robbing a liquor store.
Auggie Doggie likes this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 06:50 AM
Was WILDBILLandRED

My SSR:
Bertha-2003 Red with runnin boards and a tweaked tranny, ..Indy-2005 official SSR Brickyard Pace,.
I like how they kept saying "its different than anything else" ... like its a bad thing.

Also funny how they put the SSR in the exact class as the stock trucks with a few extra options..
454SS ... just a shortbed with a big motor and a few adders.
Lightning,.. just a F-150 with ground effects and a (got to hand it to them) nice power plant.
Lil red p-up... dodge stepside with wood lattice, nice lettering, smoke stakes and a powerful motor.

All of these trucks were based on the motor...
something they can drop into a Camry (they kept comparing us to).
Our trucks were based on style and being unique...
no matter what you do to a Camry,. it wont LOOK stylish or unique.

If the SSR Engineers were targeting "Speed"..
removable fiberglass top, no steel fenders, unibody, tilt forward fiberglass front end. fiberglass tonneau..
Im happy just the way it is!!!

Leading parades since 2010,. 4th of July, Memorial, Veterans, and Mother Road 66 in Springfield ILL .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR in the News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in