• 1 Post By Mike in AZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Disturbing Peace since 68
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2006SSR6speed Pacific Blue , Vin #23182 Born on 12-17-2005
Thanks Mike

Thanks Mike for the AWESOME COOLING FANS! I was picking up in Phoenix the other day, as you can see it was 110, pulling a trailer , up the grade heading back home to Sedona. Made me feel good, I did not have to worry about the temp.

Thanks,

Duane Morgan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	425330   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	425338   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	425346  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

One of the "Blues Brothers"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Thanks Duane.

Yes, the fans do make life a bit better. I see about 230 on the temp gauge at 60mph, pulling a grade. This is to be expected, since the computer turns the fans off at 35mph. That 230 on the gauge is an indication of the cooling system settling in at "equilibrium"....... As the temp of the coolant rises, it means a bigger difference in temps across the radiator.... this means more BTUs extracted for every cubic foot of air passing across the radiator. BTUs into the cooling system (residual heat in the engine metal parts) equals BTUs out of the cooling system (across the radiator).

If you were to slow down below 35 (thereby generating fewer BTUs), the fans would take over and bring the temps down even farther.

Nice to see the system working like it should.

Your Blues Brother in the hotter part of the state,

Mike
sbubbaklein likes this.

One of the "Blues Brothers"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 02:15 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Did someone say Phoenix?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phoenix.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	425362  

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:12 PM
Ex SoCal Nut

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
The Pineapple Cooler, eh .... Nice !...

Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:45 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
Yea, but we all know that's "dry heat". lol

Dave
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:49 PM

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo FPR 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwave View Post
Thanks Mike for the AWESOME COOLING FANS! I was picking up in Phoenix the other day, as you can see it was 110, pulling a trailer , up the grade heading back home to Sedona. Made me feel good, I did not have to worry about the temp.

Thanks,

Duane Morgan

What are you pulling? How much weight?

I have towed a 19ft 5000lb Airstream all over the country in the hot summer months up the biggest western passes and have NEVER seen my gauge go that high.

The dash gauge is a glorified idiot light. It only moves off 210 when the temps are REALLY climbing. You might want to download the "Torque" app for your phone and use an OBDII bluetooth adapter to get the ACTUAL temperature.

On my truck while towing up a mountain grade, the highest temps I have ever encountered was an actual 238 degrees (read from the OBD port) while the dash gauge stayed literally about 1/64" to the right of the center 210 mark. I would NEVER have thought I was running almost 240 when the dash gauge showed just a tiny hair over 210.

Again...at just below 240 degrees actual temperature the dash gauge barely moves from 210.

With the dash gauge as high as yours was, you reeeeeeaaaaaalllly might want to check to see your actual temperature by downloading that "Torque" app (it's free) and getting a $15 OBDII adapter.

I'd be shocked to see if your actual temp from the OBD port was actually anywhere near 230 as shown on your dash gauge in that pic. In my last 10+ years of towing with my truck, I've NEVER seen the dash gauge go that high.

I'm not saying it's not possible to go that high, I'm just saying that when the dash gauge goes that high the actual temperature is probably MUCH higher.

I also have a 2006 6 speed and have Mike's aux fan as well as (at Mike's recommendation) dual Spal fans which run at full speed when they kick on; I also have a manual override switch and leave all 3 fans on at full speed ALL the time regardless of the speed I'm driving when I'm towing. I also have Mike's Ron Davis radiator. It seems to work as again I've NEVER had that dash gauge move more than 1/64 of an inch to the right of 210...and when it does, I'm already in the 217-228 range. Even when it got to 238, the dash gauge didn't go any higher...so again, when yours is as high as your pic, it's most definitely well over 240.

Just my .06
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:37 PM

My SSR:
2003/red
and today I'm in stop & go traffic @ 5 MPH, MAX for 10 miles @ 93 degrees. Hot sun and I'm on my 2014 INDIAN CHIEFTIAN MOTORCYCLE........Could fry and egg on the motor. If it wasn't broken in it is now.......Clutch hand still hurts. Age 78 and counting...........

BIRD
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:55 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
It's interesting you don't mention your inner thigh not getting roasted. My 2002 HD Roadking would throw off the heat so bad I had to put a parade fan on it to move the heat around and even then it was barely tolerable.
Congratulations on still riding at 78 years young!

Dave
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 09:10 AM

My SSR:
2003/red
thigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi Guy View Post
It's interesting you don't mention your inner thigh not getting roasted. My 2002 HD Roadking would throw off the heat so bad I had to put a parade fan on it to move the heat around and even then it was barely tolerable.
Congratulations on still riding at 78 years young!

Dave
Dave: actually didn't want to mention that part of my body. Only motorcycle guys would understand. Indian after market makes a leather shield to help with this heat problem.......I missed my real point..........the helmet. As you know the temps inside of a helmet can go past 150 degrees? I wanted to say walk around in that 115 dry heat with a motorcycle helmet on and see how long you last. Maryland Gov. does not give us a choice. WE should be allowed to remove the helmet in stop & go traffic. I also have 3 Harleys. Believe my the large 111 Indian motor gives off more heat.

Bird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR in the News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in