• 2 Post By wizzr
  • 3 Post By Dicktator
  • 1 Post By Auggie Doggie
  • 2 Post By Dicktator
  • 1 Post By marthawilliam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
'03 & '04 tuning question

As we know, one of the benefits of an '03 or '04 is that they can run on regular fuel. But I'm curious about suggested fuel octane ratings when pro tuners do a performance tune on an '03 or '04.

My hand held superchips tuner says to run 91 octane or better when installing the performance tune. Is that the same recommendation when one of the big boy tuners does a performance tune on an '03 or '04?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:21 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Joe Delano tuned my 04 at the last International. He can tune it for any octane level. I had mine tuned for 93 octane which is readily available. I wanted to get the maximum punch I could from pump gas. The extra few $ for fill up is well worth it.
Made a world of difference and really woke up that LM4.
Tuning it to still run regular will still provide some benefit, the fuel to air ratios and timing are changed, throttle delay removed and transmission pressures increased to firm up shifts. It will be more responsive with minimal power gain.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:23 PM
BAD BOW TIE
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
91 minimum. Buy the highest octane gas you can get and no ethanol for best running and best performance. Couple hundred dollars a year difference and worth every penny of it.
sprooney and BROKER03 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:41 PM
Ms Donna's Driver
Supporting Member

Location: beside the tracks of the "Wabash Cannonball" along the banks of the "Wabash River" Indiana

My SSR:
'04 Ricochet Silver and then along came. SINISTER
I use 90 or 91 octane gas without alcohol or 93 octane in my R, Donna’s R, my Colorado ZR2, and my wife’s Ford Edge. I don’t have any data as to power performance since I don’t run the quarter mile drag strip. I can tell you that we both get far better miles per gallon. The more energy or octane in a gallon, the more you are going to get out of it.
Auggie Doggie and 90 Fatboy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EVERY MILE IS MAGIC

I used to be indecisive
But now I'm just not sure
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:18 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 yellow
Mark I had mine turned for 87 octane. It made a world of difference in the giddy up. I also gain a little over 2mpg on it. If I keep the loud paddle soft I get 18.2 in town and 19.8 on highway. That's hand calculated. Tranny pressures up as well as shift points. Man when you do stomp it,the downshift and go is a blast.

“Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.”
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 10:26 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverobertson View Post
Mark I had mine turned for 87 octane. It made a world of difference in the giddy up. I also gain a little over 2mpg on it. If I keep the loud paddle soft I get 18.2 in town and 19.8 on highway. That's hand calculated. Tranny pressures up as well as shift points. Man when you do stomp it,the downshift and go is a blast.
Bump the octane up and after a couple of tanks it will re-adjust itself and you will really feel the power difference and it is only about $3 to $5 more per tank. Less then a beer now-a-days. It will love you for it also.

I can only get 91 octane here so I buy and add a quart of racing fuel each tank full and that bumps it up to about 93 and mine really loves that.

Auggie Doggie <><
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
Thanks for the info guys. I'm pleased with the performance of my Superchips 91 octane tune. According to the manufacturer, it's about a 20 hp bump and allows for tranny adjustments too. That, along with the 4:10 gear, makes for a fun ride. I was just wondering if a pro tuner could get a similar performance and run it on lower octane. I guess I'd prefer to save the few dollars at the pump and go ahead and buy that beer.
CruDawg and 04 PurpleHaze like this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 01:23 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 yellow
Good plan Mark.

“Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.”
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:59 PM
SJA
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Silver with 126,000 mi. s#4B109910
Priority low cost servicing before you spend money on chips & high priced tuning: Just had my mass air sensor & throttle body cleaned along with the Dicktator throttle body heater hose bypass done. Nice improvement & still running on 87 octane.

"SJA"
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA View Post
Priority low cost servicing before you spend money on chips & high priced tuning: Just had my mass air sensor & throttle body cleaned along with the Dicktator throttle body heater hose bypass done. Nice improvement & still running on 87 octane.

"SJA"
Yup... You're right. Gotta do the maintenance to maintain the factory settings. But once you've got that done, it's fun to take the trucks to the next performance level.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:34 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
On the 6.0 Liter it is pretty easy to squeeze another 50 horsepower out of them and gobs of torque with just a little tuning and work and a few parts. The difference is like night and day.

Auggie Doggie <><
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Doggie View Post
On the 6.0 Liter it is pretty easy to squeeze another 50 horsepower out of them and gobs of torque with just a little tuning and work and a few parts. The difference is like night and day.
Thanks for sharing, Auggie. Glad your 6.0 is running well. But how does that relate to '03's and '04's with a 5.3 running on lower octane fuel?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:12 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
5.3 liter (03/04)was designed to run on 87 octane.

I had mine tuned by Jeremy about 12yrs ago, first SSR Jeremy ever tuned.

Picked up 32hp, 3 more mpg, dropped (factory) 1 second throttle delay, remove screen on intake, port/polish throttle body, lowered fan speed setting to prevent overheating, change transmission setting to prevent "slip" in shift.

I changed rear gears to 4:10.

I have had Jeremy do "re-tune" every few years to adjust for wear.

I am and have been very happy with results.

I assure you, I can get "BLUE" lights to follow me anytime I want!

Dicktator
flynSS/R, BlueStreak and Bee75 like this.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
5.3 liter (03/04)was designed to run on 87 octane.

I had mine tuned by Jeremy about 12yrs ago, first SSR Jeremy ever tuned.

Picked up 32hp, 3 more mpg, dropped (factory) 1 second throttle delay, remove screen on intake, port/polish throttle body, lowered fan speed setting to prevent overheating, change transmission setting to prevent "slip" in shift.

I changed rear gears to 4:10.

I have had Jeremy do "re-tune" every few years to adjust for wear.

I am and have been very happy with results.

I assure you, I can get "BLUE" lights to follow me anytime I want!

Dicktator
Are you still running on 87 octane?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:36 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzr View Post
Are you still running on 87 octane?
Of course, 87 octane for 136,000 miles.

6.0 liter can be tuned to run on 87 octane but was not factory design. 6.0 was designed for 91 octane.

Dicktator

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Thanks Dictator. Your testimony was what I was hoping to here.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 02:05 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzr View Post
Thanks for sharing, Auggie. Glad your 6.0 is running well. But how does that relate to '03's and '04's with a 5.3 running on lower octane fuel?
My bad. Forgot what the thread was about. It was titled 03 & 04 tuning question. I assumed, and we know how that works, when someone was asking about tuning usually that is for maximum performance and power, so I jumped to conclusions rather then just staying out of it. Sorry.
BlueStreak likes this.

Auggie Doggie <><
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:17 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Doggie View Post
My bad. Forgot what the thread was about. It was titled 03 & 04 tuning question. I assumed, and we know how that works, when someone was asking about tuning usually that is for maximum performance and power, so I jumped to conclusions rather then just staying out of it. Sorry.
Auggie don't worry about that, your input is always welcome.

You helped clarify the question.

Dicktator
BlueStreak and Auggie Doggie like this.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:35 AM

91 minimum. Buy the highest octane gas you can get and no ethanol
Auggie Doggie likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Interesting this old thread comes up. I've bee doing some seat of the pants testing the past month. I've been using 89 octane fuel with my 91 octane tune. For casual, around town driving, I can tell absolutely no difference in performance and I hear no pinging.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:14 PM

My SSR:
2004 UV B105918 Born on 2/23/04 Standard upgrades Jeremy tuned
Jeremy tuned on 87 octane nice change from factory settings on transmission shifts and fan temp. settings, runs nice and kool and gets up and goes fast enough for me to get a ticket anytime I want.
Like having that xtra beer money too between fill ups......
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:09 PM
High Plains Roadster
Supporting Member

My SSR:
A fabulous 2005 ricochet silver model with an automatic purchased in September 2017.
Garage
I have a '05 SSR with the 6.0 liter. You can't get more than 91 octane around here on the high plains of Wyoming. Regular is 85 and it does not run well at all on that!

Since I am using 91, what sort of tune-up would improve the performance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in