Anyone lsa blower swapped their ssr? - Chevy SSR Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Auggie Doggie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Anyone lsa blower swapped their ssr?

Wondering if this is doable? Looking to under take the swap! I currently have a heavily modded ctsv v2. So have stock parts laying around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

No one?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:08 AM
BAD BOW TIE
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1L3S View Post
No one?
Somewhere down the road get ahold of Mike at simple engineering. Maybe wait awhile because he has a death in the family right now. He and Left Cost 32 are the blower guru's. There is also a guy named jerry that drags a twin turbo SSR and he is also a very good resource. They are all on this site. Just reach out to them how to get a hold of you.

Home
Ruckzuck likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:08 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Quote:
Wondering if this is doable? Looking to under take the swap! I currently have a heavily modded ctsv v2. So have stock parts laying around.
You don't specify whether you are wanting to do a complete engine swap, or just install the LSA blower on the stock LS2.

If you're considering just swapping the LSA blower, it won't work unless you also swap the heads. The LSA blower will be set up for a rectangular intake port. The SSR is running cathedral port heads.

If you want to transplant the complete engine, your biggest challenge will be getting things like crank and cam sensors to talk to the SSR's ECM. Alternative would be to transplant the LSA with its electronics, and somehow get the LSA's ECM to talk to all the other SSR electronics. The newer engines including the LSA use a 58x reluctor, the SSR has a 24x reluctor. Cam sensor on the newer engines is a 4x, SSR runs a 1x sensor. Replacing the cam and crank would be an expensive proposition, but the SSR ECM doesn't communicate with the newer components.

I think your first step would be to contact someone familiar with the various ECMs, and find out what is doable.

If you do make the swap, someone like Joe at Left Coast 32 would need to update the ECM.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:19 AM
Resident Rocket Scientist

My SSR:
Is now a C7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flassh View Post
You don't specify whether you are wanting to do a complete engine swap, or just install the LSA blower on the stock LS2.

If you're considering just swapping the LSA blower, it won't work unless you also swap the heads. The LSA blower will be set up for a rectangular intake port. The SSR is running cathedral port heads.

If you want to transplant the complete engine, your biggest challenge will be getting things like crank and cam sensors to talk to the SSR's ECM. Alternative would be to transplant the LSA with its electronics, and somehow get the LSA's ECM to talk to all the other SSR electronics. The newer engines including the LSA use a 58x reluctor, the SSR has a 24x reluctor. Cam sensor on the newer engines is a 4x, SSR runs a 1x sensor. Replacing the cam and crank would be an expensive proposition, but the SSR ECM doesn't communicate with the newer components.

I think your first step would be to contact someone familiar with the various ECMs, and find out what is doable.

If you do make the swap, someone like Joe at Left Coast 32 would need to update the ECM.
It's still a pain since you would need to remove the crank, but the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft can be changed from the 58 to 24 tooth or vice versa. Same goes for the cam, just need to change to the correct gear. So there is no need to change out the entire crank and cam.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:01 AM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Quote:
Sure, it's doable, just a little more work than the Magnuson kits designed for the application. Bear in mind that the SSR uses the truck FEAD and water pump, so there will probably be some issues with t. body clearance. Might need to relocate the belt and change to the car waterpump.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sir Henry Royce, of Rolls-Royce
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:06 AM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdflstf View Post
It's still a pain since you would need to remove the crank, but the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft can be changed from the 58 to 24 tooth or vice versa. Same goes for the cam, just need to change to the correct gear. So there is no need to change out the entire crank and cam.
Lingenfelter offers an adapter module, their part# TRG-002, that is plug and play and handles the conversion from 58x/4x to 24x/1x - no need to go into the engine at all. From comments that I've seen it does do as advertised.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sir Henry Royce, of Rolls-Royce
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:00 PM

My SSR:
Is now a C7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
Lingenfelter offers an adapter module, their part# TRG-002, that is plug and play and handles the conversion from 58x/4x to 24x/1x - no need to go into the engine at all. From comments that I've seen it does do as advertised.
That would be another option for going from 58 to 24. Not viable if going from 24 to 58 though.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:57 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdflstf View Post
I knew the reluctor could be swapped out, but the articles I was reading made it sound like a fairly technical process.

The cam swap worked out OK with my engine. Lucky that the LS9 cam has the same 3 bolt setup as the LS2 so I was able to swap out the cam gear.

None of the articles I read regarding parts swapping covered the LSA, so assuming it is running a 3 bolt cam?

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:49 AM

My SSR:
Is now a C7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flassh View Post
I knew the reluctor could be swapped out, but the articles I was reading made it sound like a fairly technical process.

The cam swap worked out OK with my engine. Lucky that the LS9 cam has the same 3 bolt setup as the LS2 so I was able to swap out the cam gear.

None of the articles I read regarding parts swapping covered the LSA, so assuming it is running a 3 bolt cam?
Based on what I see for replacement parts, it's a 3 bolt.

Reluctor is just an interference fit. A little heat to get it off and heat to get the replacement on. The trick is you must have a special tool to get the reluctor clocked/positioned correctly on the crank.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Magnuson kits designed for the application?

Was planning on using the adapter plate to convert the runners on the intake.

Just looking to swap blower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in