Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Whitmore Lk., MI
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
The following are more modifications I made, to increase capacity and efficiency of the new pan. My main goal is to increase the capacity from 5.5 qts. out to 7.5 to 8 qts. Photo 1 is the C6 stock pan internally. Photo 2 is the two cutouts I made in the front floor. Photo 3 is stock external view. Photo 4 shows the two additional cutouts into the original sump area. Photo 5 is the the front sump extension parts cut out and ready to be welded. Looking at the stock pan internally, the center small rectangle is the area where the pickup resides. The two side pockets along with the rear pocket have transfer slots, along the floor of the pan, to feed the pickup under various conditions. To me, the pan looks most efficient under heavy braking conditions and least efficient under heavy acceleration - the opposite of what I desire. So, my added front sump area will push additional oil rearward into the two side pods to keep the pickup fed under acceleration. I kept the center pickup area closed, to the front sump, so oil can't migrate away during braking. I also kept the original front pan area intact, in the center, to drain back oil directly into the pickup area.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."
Sir Henry Royce, of Rolls-Royce