C6 oil pan upgrade - Page 2 - Chevy SSR Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:47 PM

My SSR:
05, 6 speed. Yellow with the bottom half Black. Daily ride of 3yrs. Just now working on her.
So how much oil should we use? Iím going to start doing my own oil changes. 😎
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Daily Driver
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoat!!! View Post
Take a gander over at TBSSowners.com to see how many people ruined their engines by starving them for oil. It is much more common over there because TBSS owners tend to not only drive their trucks more but they usually drive them much harder. Trailblazer SS trucks aren't garage queens as much as they serve a different crowd. No one really holds on to a Trailblazer as a collector's item. And, as such, Trailblazer SS owners aren't afraid to flog them for fun...and often.
They also like to play mountain goat and that's a recipe for disaster with this stock pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groceryman101 View Post
So how much oil should we use? Iím going to start doing my own oil changes. 😎
Add an extra quart.
Groceryman101 likes this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:02 PM

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo FPR 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
With the small stock filter run 7 quarts. With the larger longer filter I used to run 7.5 full quarts for years without a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:36 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
I understand the theory of weight transfer on a hard acceleration and the oil running to the back of the oil pan and all. But when I drive my SSR and pull away from a stop sign at full throttle there is very little weight transfer and the amount of front end travel or rear end drop is minimal. I would not think this is enough to cause the pan to drain all the oil and see a significant drop in pressure. Now what I can see is a high volume oil pump pulling all the oil out of the pan due to the design of the LS oil pump. But again a stock SSR running it through the RPM range to the second gear shift is going to hit the set rpm then drop back and go to the red line again. I have not seen any oil pressure drop in either of my trucks so far. I could also see if you were auto crossing with turns and both hard acceleration and slamming on the brakes. I could see the oil being tossed all around the pan and getting away from the sump in this activity.

I am just wondering in the everyday driven SSR that sees a hard stop light leave run to second gear then let off is there any oil pan issues from driving like this?
Auggie Doggie likes this.
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:46 PM

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo FPR 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
Hmmm...I dunno. I don't have a supercharged truck, but I have a tuned 6spd LS2 with a C6 throttle body, wide open true dual exhaust and 4.56 gears. No major mods. But when I take off from a stop light that thing throws me back with intense thrust. It's unGodly fast for how heavy it is and how little has been done to it. It takes off faster than my '99 LS1 TransAm which is 1500lbs lighter, spinning giant sticky 315 rear tires in 2nd and 3rd. I can totally see the engine getting starved for oil the way my truck is now. When I got it, no way. It was slow as hell off the line. The few minor mods made such a huge difference that I can see people with trucks hopped up much more aggressively than mine easily starving for oil if they don't run at least a quart over.
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:12 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
They also like to play mountain goat and that's a recipe for disaster with this stock pan.

Add an extra quart.

I've not personally perused the TBSS owners forums, but I suspect Bruce has nailed it with the (play mountain goat) comment.

Adding an extra quart should suffice to avoid any starvation of the oil in what most would expect would be a (fairly "level" takeoff). Trying to climb sand dunes and/or steep mountain sides like competing with Jeeps and dune buggies just as he said.........a recipe for disaster.
BlueStreak likes this.
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:21 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
One issue that was discussed early on was the lack of baffles in the pan which allowed the oil to fill up the rear of the pan and leave the front empty so if the duration of the acceleration was extended there was a problem. If it was short term then the oil moved back to the front and problem solved. Initially I think it was a solution for drag strips.
nj6969 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:01 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Smokin' Asphalt (Canadian specifications)
Garage
Was just looking at the TBSS site. Mention is made there of PCM of NC offering an oil pickup tube relocation kit for about $320.

http://www.pcmofnc.com/product/reloc...up-tube-kit-3/

Since joining this site, I only recall the use of a C6 pan (and Need for use of an LC32 crossmember) being mentioned to deal with potential oil starvation of the stock front pickup SSR oil pan. For me, the extra quart of oil option has been my solution, but ....

Thoughts anyone on this oil pickup relocation solution?

Ken
Vancouver Island, Canada
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:42 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSSR View Post
I would say yes. The stock one sits more horizontal with respect to the top surface, than the Corvette pan. Subsequently the Corvette dips away in the front and there is an aspect ratio issue. I probably didnít hold the camera perfectly parallel to the ground too. As I recall, all these pictures were taken without moving the pans.

Hopefully yíall can see what I meant by sort of an internal remote oil filter with the lines that run from the back of the pan to the middle on the stock SSR pan. In comparison the Corvette pan having the oil filter in the back (drivers side) right where the lines come from the block. The stock SSR oil pickup is in the big hole in the front of the stock pan and there is no baffling. The Corvette pickup is back big area of the pan, between the baffles, which is the lowest point and where all the oil is all the time naturally.

From the side view, you can really see why the rear sump would be better under acceleration and how much thinner the front of the Corvette oil pan is.

FWIW: The Corvette pan fits great, actually better, leaving quite a bit more room between it and the stiffening plate.

Here is another pic, where I apparently held the camera closer to the plane of the Corvette pan.

-Robert

This whole discussion has gotten kinda silly.

Let me say that if I had indeed gone with a Super Charger and/or some really significant engine modes like a different cam, etc. I would at the same time likely opt to make this oil pan swap too.

Now, I'm wanting "proof" that the front of the "stock" pan would lose enough oil to create a "starve" scenario.

Maybe.......TXn with the (oil pan pictures) could run to Lowes and/or Home Depot and buy a small chuck of clear plastic. He could then apply a gasket and modify the plastic piece to fit over the "stock" pan. Before adding the plastic "plate", he could "color" some water and make sure to add (7) quarts to the pan before adding the new plastic top.

Then, he could raise the front edge of the pan in various degrees and see (for sure) if and/or not the "pick up" got (starved) of oil supply.
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:28 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post

Let me say that if I had indeed gone with a Super Charger and/or some really significant engine modes like a different cam, etc. I would at the same time likely opt to make this oil pan swap too.

Now, I'm wanting "proof" that the front of the "stock" pan would lose enough oil to create a "starve" scenario.

Maybe.......TXn with the (oil pan pictures) could run to Lowes and/or Home Depot and buy a small chuck of clear plastic. He could then apply a gasket and modify the plastic piece to fit over the "stock" pan. Before adding the plastic "plate", he could "color" some water and make sure to add (7) quarts to the pan before adding the new plastic top.

Then, he could raise the front edge of the pan in various degrees and see (for sure) if and/or not the "pick up" got (starved) of oil supply.

On top of all that with the engine running at a pretty good speed it is constantly returning oil to the pan so it would be a very hard test to accomplish. Oil is leaving the pan but returning also at the same time and then there is the splash affect also. Almost impossible to show at what point if any the pan would be empty as they are assuming. Pretty near impossible to show or prove.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:31 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Sounds like a project for @Topspin when he finds he has nothing to do!
Auggie Doggie likes this.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:03 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
You don't have to buy that expensive pan you can do it this way.

post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:21 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post

Sorry I donít shop at Lowes, as it is across town and I can never find anything there.
Sorry, really wish I could do your experiment for you @moscooter .

I trust in Joeís advice and experience. That said, I did brush up on some fluid dynamics, Newtonís theories this am and feel pretty good about my decisions. They work for me, were part of my plan, and may not work for anyone else.

-Robert
Curbsssr and Jersey red like this.
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
My First Permagrin !

My SSR:
05 #18193 chrome wheels ,carpet kit , boards , gauge pack , sc tuner and a ton of mikes stuff
Garage
Hi Everyone .
Is there a actual step by step previous thread on how to install the C6 pan ?
Maybe one of you guys have it handy, @Mike in AZ @Flassh @TXNSSR @jackatg450
@2005SSR6Speed
I can't seem to find the older thread ,Thanks for any pointers and help , Dave
shakatak likes this.
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:30 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey red View Post
Hi Everyone .
Is there a actual step by step previous thread on how to install the C6 pan ?
Maybe one of you guys have it handy, @Mike in AZ @Flassh @TXNSSR @jackatg450
@2005SSR6Speed
I can't seem to find the older thread ,Thanks for any pointers and help , Dave
I’ve got my notes on my desk, which are a mash up of talking with Joe and a post by @jackatg450 and my observations. I got “distracted” last weekend with to do’s around the house and work. I’ll type them up this weekend.

-Robert
Jersey red likes this.
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:45 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You don't have to buy that expensive pan you can do it this way.
On that thread, Topspin starts with the expensive C6 pan, and modifies it for increased oil capacity.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:44 AM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
If you're on a budget and handy, you can help the stock pan with a few mods. Here's what I did with my original pan to increase the capacity/efficiency. I cut out the tube and original filter, then extended the pickup tube and built a trap door baffle that trapped the oil in the rear of the sump. I added a remote filter with -12 lines on the opposite side of the pan, where it belongs. Capacity was 7.5 quarts and worked well with the basically stock LS2. I later worked up the modified C6 pan for my current 427 combo.

The C6 pan, in stock form, has a few issues, too. If you study it, it has some design similarities to our stock pan. Though it is a rear sump pan, the actual pickup point is in the front of the sump! It's a compromise design for the Vette where corner carving and heavy braking come into play. I modified mine to be more efficient for straight line acceleration.

A word of warning if you plan to use the C6 pan and Kook's headers, there can be an interference problem. I show it in my thread on the modified C6 pan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_2569.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	547161   Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_2571.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	547163  
TXNSSR likes this.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sir Henry Royce, of Rolls-Royce
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:36 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flassh View Post
Topspin starts with the expensive C6 pan, and modifies it for increased oil capacity.
You're right, I linked to the wrong thread, the C-6 pan mods instead of the stock pan mods.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in