Clutch decision - Page 3 - Chevy SSR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
I was just going through some ZR1 data and noticed that a design criteria for the twin disc clutch was to not exceed the pedal effort of the LS7 Z06 clutch. They were satisfied that they reached that goal with the ZR1 clutch and also gained additional clamp load along with better pedal feel.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sir Henry Royce, of Rolls-Royce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 01:27 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

Sure would like to have a ZR1 clutch
post #63 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
You know M, what would help out is if GM would put a pkg. together with a flywheel and the ZR1 clutch that would bolt on all the other LS cranks. They could drive the conversion cost way down by fabricating such a flywheel. The stock SSR slave will work just perfectly, so you could do it much cheaper than I did, if that flywheel was available.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Clutch Killer

My SSR:
Had one and loved EVERY minute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
Alright Anne, I can finally give you the " romp report ".

That's awesome news Ken.... I am so happy to hear your raving review! One of these days I am going to go for it. I will never miss the smell of clutch! Have fun... go get a 'Stang for me.

]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Not All Who Wander Are Lost....
post #65 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Anne, I bet I know where I could find you at the dragstrip - downwind from the burnout box?!

post #66 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 05:10 AM
Clutch Killer

My SSR:
Had one and loved EVERY minute
Talking

Hey, you were supposed to answer "in front of the mustangs"!

]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Not All Who Wander Are Lost....
post #67 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
That goes without sayin, Anne! I smell a lot of rotting horseflesh, when we get those Southern winds!

post #68 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Bump for SSR71.

post #69 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 11:13 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 1SB/6spd Redline Red
Quote:
Bump for SSR71.
And thanks for the bump. As soon as I started reading, I do recall seeing it before, but never came back for the conclusion.

Not sure when I'll be doing the clutch on mine, but I think this will be the way I go. To summarize, the stock slave cylinder will work, but we'll need the custom flywheel and LS9 clutch/pressure plate?

post #70 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Yep, the stock slave will work, but unless you're planning to reuse your original, the ZR1 slave is identical other than it has provisions for an remote bleeder. I think the ZR1 slave is also cheaper and the SSR wasn't even available when I did my install.

post #71 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Bump for Jim.

post #72 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM
SSR Pit Crew

It has been awhile since you upgraded your clutch. How is it holding up?
post #73 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
I'm very pleased with the twin disc setup!

post #74 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 AM

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue 6spd 3SS chrome trim. Supercharger. 4.10 rear. Centerforce clutch w/alum flywheel
Update

I posted a recent update at https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/1120155-post114.html
post #75 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Last winter I installed the upgraded version of the ZR1 clutch, to test it out for my future large cubic inch engine combo. This clutch is of the same design and made by the same manufacturer as the original, but is supposed to provide 20% more clamp load, with similar pedal feel. Well, I don't doubt the increased holding power, it's supposed to be good to 960 #ft, but I do dispute the similar pedal effort. My feeling is that pedal pressure is increased by 30-40%, for certain. Enough increase that it's uncomfortable in stop and go driving, unlike the stock ZR1 unit.

I'm in the process of re-installing the original stock ZR1 unit and running it until I have a problem, if ever. Possibly a larger bore master cylinder would help the Max version, but I'm not going there now! For comparison, the Max version is $750, while the stock version is around $420.

End of story for the immediate future!

post #76 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Resident Rocket Scientist

My SSR:
Is now a C7
Garage
Quote:
Last winter I installed the upgraded version of the ZR1 clutch, to test it out for my future large cubic inch engine combo. This clutch is of the same design and made by the same manufacturer as the original, but is supposed to provide 20% more clamp load, with similar pedal feel. Well, I don't doubt the increased holding power, it's supposed to be good to 960 #ft, but I do dispute the similar pedal effort. My feeling is that pedal pressure is increased by 30-40%, for certain. Enough increase that it's uncomfortable in stop and go driving, unlike the stock ZR1 unit.

I'm in the process of re-installing the original stock ZR1 unit and running it until I have a problem, if ever. Possibly a larger bore master cylinder would help the Max version, but I'm not going there now! For comparison, the Max version is $750, while the stock version is around $420.

End of story for the immediate future!
Larger bored master would make for more pedal effort. Smaller bore, longer stroke would make for less effort. Of course then there's the issues that create with how to get more travel.
post #77 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Jeff, this is the thread with the reservoir in it. I'll post the source here when I locate it.

post #78 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Another "Blues Brother"

My SSR:
2006 Pacblue 6sp. with a little "bling"
Garage
Quote:
Jeff, this is the thread with the reservoir in it. I'll post the source here when I locate it.
Thanks for the info Ken; I found the post earlier today.
I looked around a bit and found what looks to be very similar. It's a Wilwood remote brake reservoir, 4oz capacity with an outlet on the bottom. It looks like i can just replace the outlet nipple with a barbed fitting and i'm good to go.

Here's a link - [URL="http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-12697/overview/"/URL]

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wil-260-12696_xl.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	185857  

06 PacBlue 6sp, #21727 - Build date 8/31/2005
Whatever you are...be a good one. Abraham Lincoln
post #79 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
That's a good find, Jeff! The one that I'm using is made by Kugel Komponents and is slightly smaller in capacity @ 2.75 oz. It's also a little more expensive @ $110. Both, I'm sure, are well made and will do the job!

post #80 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
This will be the forth summer on my clutch swap and overall I remain quite pleased. It would appear that the LS7 swap is also well received, as I've only seen a couple of issues reported on it. Both are a giant step up from the factory dual mass setup!

post #81 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:20 AM

My SSR:
2005 6-spd Aqua blur
In the middle of my ls7 swap right now with tranny removed and all old parts off. Got the remote bleeder line for the new slave from Tick performance and waiting for LS7 cltuch kit and flywheel. My original clutch lasted 92,000 miles and from what I can tell the slave cyl was probably the item that went out as the bearing was making noise a couple weeks before the clutch gave up and there was some fluid in the bellhousing area. Also the clutch disc was worn very near to the rivets with signs of fluid on the mating surfaces of flywheel and pressure plate. The dual mass flywheel had about 1 inch of freeplay which I thought was alot but not sure how tight these are new. It is getting replaced anyway. Rear main oil seal seems to be holding up but the plastic wire loom stuff is crumbling apart obviously from the heat of 9 years. Also noticed the rectangular shifter cover that has 4 bolts was not sealed very well and it accumulated some dirt so will reseal that better after reinstall. Looking forward to a good clutch.
post #82 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Another "Blues Brother"

My SSR:
2006 Pacblue 6sp. with a little "bling"
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_king View Post
In the middle of my ls7 swap right now with tranny removed and all old parts off. Got the remote bleeder line for the new slave from Tick performance and waiting for LS7 cltuch kit and flywheel. My original clutch lasted 92,000 miles and from what I can tell the slave cyl was probably the item that went out as the bearing was making noise a couple weeks before the clutch gave up and there was some fluid in the bellhousing area. Also the clutch disc was worn very near to the rivets with signs of fluid on the mating surfaces of flywheel and pressure plate. The dual mass flywheel had about 1 inch of freeplay which I thought was alot but not sure how tight these are new. It is getting replaced anyway. Rear main oil seal seems to be holding up but the plastic wire loom stuff is crumbling apart obviously from the heat of 9 years. Also noticed the rectangular shifter cover that has 4 bolts was not sealed very well and it accumulated some dirt so will reseal that better after reinstall. Looking forward to a good clutch.
jim_king
Any details on the part # for the remote bleeder line from Tick Performance. Is the clutch end a straight fitting or is it angled? how long is the tube?

06 PacBlue 6sp, #21727 - Build date 8/31/2005
Whatever you are...be a good one. Abraham Lincoln
post #83 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 AM

My SSR:
2005 6-spd Aqua blur
Waiting a response from Tick as the slave bleeder connection from the line is not correct. Lonnie said he used the line on other SSR LS7 conversions so maybe mine is packaged wrong. Line is 36" long with one end straight the other end 90 degree bend. I will post p/n when verified correct.
post #84 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 07:58 PM

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red lowered tuned 456 gears hurst shifter ls7 clutch Kooks headers and true duals
The bleeder i used from tick was strait. I believe for the Camaro. I had to cut a notch in the bell housing, no sweat.

Jim
post #85 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 06:07 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 blur with chameleon ghost flames and Magna charger.
Hey Topspin. Do you remember when you installed your remote bleeder. Was the end where it attached straight or angled? I am thinking it needs to be angled because we bent mine to get it to fit and that is what caused all my problems.

LITEMUP
post #86 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LITEMUP View Post
Hey Topspin. Do you remember when you installed your remote bleeder. Was the end where it attached straight or angled? I am thinking it needs to be angled because we bent mine to get it to fit and that is what caused all my problems.
Take a look at post #43.

post #87 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:47 AM

My SSR:
2005 6-spd Aqua blur
Tick confirmed they sent the wrong bleeder line. I did notch the trans. bellhousing for the slave feed line as that is now routed through the hole just below where the original was as shown in Topspin photos post #43. May have to notch bleeder line hole also but waiting for the correct line before I do that. LS 7 flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch disc, and press. plate all installed and torqued with no issues but bleeder line is holding up progress. I really appreciate the work and postings others have done to help facilitate my clutch swap. Huge help.
post #88 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 08:28 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 blur with chameleon ghost flames and Magna charger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_king View Post
Tick confirmed they sent the wrong bleeder line. I did notch the trans. bellhousing for the slave feed line as that is now routed through the hole just below where the original was as shown in Topspin photos post #43. May have to notch bleeder line hole also but waiting for the correct line before I do that. LS 7 flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch disc, and press. plate all installed and torqued with no issues but bleeder line is holding up progress. I really appreciate the work and postings others have done to help facilitate my clutch swap. Huge help.
When you receive the new bleeder line how about posting a pic. Is it the same one that fits the Camaro?

LITEMUP
post #89 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 06:10 AM

My SSR:
2005 6-spd Aqua blur
Rec'd the correct bleeder line. This one is straight-both ends-which is actually perfect cause it goes straight out the original slot in the bellhousing where original feed line went through-part number is TPSBL5G from Tick performance and called Speedbleeder line for 2010-2014 Camaro SS, 2009 Pontiac G8, & 04-07 CTS-V. Just remove the bleeder that the slave comes with and install this line in it's place as it has the correct fittings. The line can be routed to a position of your choice for easy bleed of the clutch system.
post #90 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Bump for kgb.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in