• 1 Post By SSRomanesque
  • 2 Post By Achias
  • 2 Post By Auggie Doggie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

First Dyno Tune results

Very much pleased with it. However, I did get an engine light later in the evening. Which was not totally unexpected
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0007.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	533119  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 10:25 PM
DFW TX Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2003 Slingshot Yellow SSR
Very nice results. So was this just a tune? or did you add anything like LT headers or anything?
SSRomanesque likes this.

Do what's right not what's easy....
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 09:47 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow, 2005 Smokin Asphalt
Garage
what year, what size motor?
Marty likes this.

2004 SSR, slingshot yellow, automatic, 113K miles, 2005 smoking asphalt, automatic, 16k miles, lots of SE parts incl tire kit, heat shield, rear frame stiffener,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:02 AM
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
2003 Slingshot Yellow SSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubbaklein View Post
by the looks of the initial power being around 230HP and 270 Torque I'd say it's a 5.3.
SSRomanesque likes this.

Do what's right not what's easy....
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 09:33 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 SSR With 5300 Vortech Single Turbo, Stock 4L80E
Oh my, I remember when I purchase my stock 5.3 SSR. Nice cruiser.

With the weight of these gorgeous trucks they really feel right at around 500 HP to the tire.

Have fun.

Regards,

Jerry
SSRomanesque likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:12 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
Ls 2

My stock '05 with 6 speed and 456 cruises real nice.

It does not take a lot of push to get it from 75 to 110 on the interstate.

I assume that is south of 350 to the rears?

Dave
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshvette View Post
Very nice results. So was this just a tune? or did you add anything like LT headers or anything?
The engine was stock at the time with a 4.10 differential. It now has a Texas Speed Stage 3 high lift cam. Kooks headers are coming next.
Joshvette likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubbaklein View Post
04 with 5,3
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

A total of 4 hp at the wheel with a high lift cam upgrade. Definitely gotta get some headers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cam tune.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	536771  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRomanesque View Post
A total of 4 hp at the wheel with a high lift cam upgrade. Definitely gotta get some headers
You most certainly have something going on and it's not the exhaust system! Did you change the valve springs with the cam change - it's mandatory to do that. You should be seeing 25-30 hp even with a stock exhaust system. Headers may give you another 5-10 hp. That combo should pull strong to 6000 rpm and beyond!

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sir Henry Royce, of Rolls-Royce
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
You most certainly have something going on and it's not the exhaust system! Did you change the valve springs with the cam change - it's mandatory to do that. You should be seeing 25-30 hp even with a stock exhaust system. Headers may give you another 5-10 hp. That combo should pull strong to 6000 rpm and beyond!
On the invoice, it has springs, retainers, and pushrods with the kit. It's a Texas Speed Highlift 216/220 600/600 cam.
the total cost of it all was about 3,200.00
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:20 AM

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
Quote:
On the invoice, it has springs, retainers, and pushrods with the kit. It's a Texas Speed Highlift 216/220 600/600 cam.
the total cost of it all was about 3,200.00
I don't know, but, 4 HP increase doesn't sound right!!! Maybe modern computer controls are the culprit???? I know someone who had a "Thumper" cam installed in a late model------but I don't hear any "Thumping"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick
SSRomanesque likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj6969 View Post
I don't know, but, 4 HP increase doesn't sound right!!! Maybe modern computer controls are the culprit???? I know someone who had a "Thumper" cam installed in a late model------but I don't hear any "Thumping"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick
It is louder and I can certainly feel a gain in torque. It doesn't have an aggressive idle like a pro-stock or funny car. But it does have a modest loppy idle.

Just before the manager showed me the dyno results he took a deep breath and seemed a bit disappointed that he didn't have something better to tell me. So, he went on with techno-babble and assured me I would feel more of a difference than shown on paper. And to top it all off, they left two dyno sensors connected to the truck. Now I'm wondering if the dyno may have malfunctioned. These guys are not typically sloppy and forgetful. But now I feel like something happened and they are just not talking about it.
nj6969 likes this.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 12:53 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Was it re-tuned(electronics) after the cam installation?

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Was it re-tuned(electronics) after the cam installation?
I assume so. He said it would have to be retuned. I don't know what or if any adjustments may have been made.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 11:26 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2003 "Ilsa" with many mods for strip and track.
Ilsa's headers are going on now, along with her Magna 2300 supercharger.

Dave

Quote:
The engine was stock at the time with a 4.10 differential. It now has a Texas Speed Stage 3 high lift cam. Kooks headers are coming next.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Headers copy.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	536969  
Flying Dog and SSRomanesque like this.

My other vehicle is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 08:33 AM

My SSR:
Yellow 2004
Quote:
First thing I would find out is what is going on, Lingenfelter got a one off cam they tried and it worked so a friend that worked there at the time had them get one for my 5.3 and it made 60 hp to the crank, I agree with the others you have something going on, You should at least 25 hp with just a stock cam and rocker change
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

Both dyno results are from a DynoJet chassis dyno, Not an engine dyno. After a little research, I've learned that are many things can affect the output results. Atmospheric conditions, strapped down too tight and so on. They say horsepower can only be calculated not measured.

Once again, thanks to all for your input.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:58 AM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
I would think you would see a bigger gain than 4 horse power. What was used to tune the truck after the cam change? Something doesn't sound right with the results.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:29 AM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
Soooooooo, I am really confused here. You state you spent gobs of money to install a new cam and lifter package, they dyno it and say that you got a measly 4HP gain. Not trying to be mean but you could simply have installed a foam air filter and gotten that for $15.

When I look at the dyno chart you posted, there is only a .3 difference in temp and humidity shows it changed 2%, basically a very similar run. The HP increase shows it was a 24 gain and a torque increase of almost 15. The chart is displaying SAE numbers which is more stringent, and a line averaging or smoothing was used at a scale of 5 to better show the output.

I take it that the dyno was a before and after installation on your truck correct? If not I apologize, but the bottom area of the document was cut off and I am just trying to put my hands around this like everyone else. Even without a proper tune, after doing a top end installation with performance parts it should give you more than 4, maybe computer is fighting the upgrade and that is why you have a light and poor performance?

Regardless, why is it beings stated you only got 4 out of the mod when the chart seems to show more like 24?
I know I am getting more gray by the minute but what am I missing here?
Are you stating that you only have 4 more HP than a new fresh engine in comparison?
If that is the case, then your engine was probably worn out before the cam swap and running a really low HP.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2U View Post
Soooooooo, I am really confused here. You state you spent gobs of money to install a new cam and lifter package, they dyno it and say that you got a measly 4HP gain. Not trying to be mean but you could simply have installed a foam air filter and gotten that for $15.

When I look at the dyno chart you posted, there is only a .3 difference in temp and humidity shows it changed 2%, basically a very similar run. The HP increase shows it was a 24 gain and a torque increase of almost 15. The chart is displaying SAE numbers which is more stringent, and a line averaging or smoothing was used at a scale of 5 to better show the output.

I take it that the dyno was a before and after installation on your truck correct? If not I apologize, but the bottom area of the document was cut off and I am just trying to put my hands around this like everyone else. Even without a proper tune, after doing a top end installation with performance parts it should give you more than 4, maybe computer is fighting the upgrade and that is why you have a light and poor performance?

Regardless, why is it beings stated you only got 4 out of the mod when the chart seems to show more like 24?
I know I am getting more gray by the minute but what am I missing here?
Are you stating that you only have 4 more HP than a new fresh engine in comparison?
If that is the case, then your engine was probably worn out before the cam swap and running a really low HP.
The 24hp gain was a stock tune. The 4hp gain was after installing the cam. The truck runs great. Whrn I get on thr gas it feels like a hell of a lot more than just 4hp.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 12:45 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Looks like the cam gave you 13 ft lbs of torque.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:15 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Just a few mods and a super dyno tune should get you about 40 to 50 horsepower gain from factory settings.I don't get it.

Intake and exhaust work together if you are trying to improve performance you need to do both. More air in and more exhaust out. By simply opening both up and doing a super tune you can pick up around 50 horsepower without tampering with the motor and changing it's reliability. Need to figure out why you are doing things and then do them.

Not expensive things folks can do and gain over 50 horsepower and gobs of off the line torque.

Had my Throttle Body done by Faster Proms in Florida, Jeremy tune. Took it off myself and sent it UPS. They did it and returned it very promptly. They shaved off all the edges inside and took as much material off as possible to enlarge the opening to match the intake. Very responsive and much faster off the line. I also did the throttle body spacer, K&N cold air package, Jet High Performance Mass Air Flo Sensor, true dual exhaust, and super dyno tune. The whole thing is like night and day.

The guy tuning our SSR called and said it was ready. On the Dyno it read 362 horsepower and 369 torque at the rear wheels after the work he and I did. He used some kind of fancy formula and figured 452.5 horsepower and 461.25 torque at the crank. Pretty good increase from stock plus very smooth and more responsive. Reset cooling fans, shift points and firmness and overall adjusted everything. This was all done after the K&N Cold air package, the throttle body port and polish done by Faster Proms in Florida, the Taylor Helix throttle body spacer, the Jet high performance mass air flo sensor, and the Magnaflow true duals exhaust. Split the header pipe and am running two pipes into the special muffler and two pipes out. There is an X pipe in the muffler.

One more thing I would add is rearend gear change. Guys say there is a world of difference then.

Got all the stuff from Auto Anything. K&N Cold air package is $433 and makes a world of difference in sound and low end torque.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SSR First pictures of Windsheild Banner 015.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	538091   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR First pictures of Windsheild Banner 017.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	538093   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR First pictures of Windsheild Banner 016.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	538095  
Flying Dog and SSRomanesque like this.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 12:16 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Bump!

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in