K&N stock replacement air filter. - Page 2 - Chevy SSR Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 07:00 AM
Super Road Rocket Pilot
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow bear View Post
I found brand name stock paper filters on closeout at just over $3.00ea and bought a ButtLoad for ours. I'll die before paying retail again. LoL We drive rain or shine and while on Xcountry trips you have no other choice. Have not noticed any tearing or mud balls on the paper filter. Almost 140K mi and, yes, I have carried a spare on some trips. Plus, my man-a-cure is still good as I don't have to wash/oil the permanent element.... I figured to get a good tune, drive top down, hear good tunes, and just .... cruise. (don't get me wrong, the clock has been pegged on all 3 of ours) our research numbers just didn't warrant changing hardware and spending $$$ to drive in a Range we'd only be in once in 10 years. Chose to dress 'em up instead....

LOL, good to see I am not the only one that does this. Oil and air filters, when I see a really good deal I jump on it and get quite a few to hold me over for a few years. Rock Auto is a good place to watch for clearance items. If you register your car, every now and then you get a newsletter when one of their distributors decides to clear out the warehouse and you get the savings. Win win
yellow bear likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:37 AM

I agree with "Dragon2U". Well while I was typing/ pecking, I agree with BOTH,.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:37 PM
Daily Driver
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
I've still got filters and stuff for vehicles I had so long ago I can barely remember the color. They haven't fit anything I've owned since.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:56 AM

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur, 6 speed, 118667
Garage
I.M.O. (In My Opinion)
I believe after 50 years of driving that to replace a paper filter with a K&N and expect "performance gains" with no other intake or exhaust mods is like expecting the Publishers Clearing House to be knocking on your front door any minute with the MEGA PRIZE.
Yes I have a K&N in my R, it came to me with it. The plus to me is a washable filter and not a land fill item.
They make a good product but simply changing a filter in regular driving conditions and thinking added HP is indeed marketing.
Just my opinion.
Stlhotrod likes this.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:37 AM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
When I built British sports cars many years ago, I would use K&N filters on the side draft SU and Weber carbs. Not because they provided any performance benefit but just because they looked cool.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:53 AM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I've still got filters and stuff for vehicles I had so long ago I can barely remember the color. They haven't fit anything I've owned since.
I have an old Ac Delco air filter that my grand father gave me new in the box, and it is so old there is no bar code on it. For nostalgia reasons I have kept it. Nice to have something from him around. The last car he had was a 74 Impala and before that was a 66 Chevy so it was probably for one of those two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in