Performance exhaust help - Chevy SSR Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike in AZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2003 "Ilsa" with many mods for strip and track.
Performance exhaust help

I've been trying for over a year to get somebody to put headers on Ilsa (supercharged 5.3) but I either get dropped cold or just put off until I give up.

If you have headers on a 5.3 along with an x-pipe or h-pipe, please let me know what parts you have so I can help out the guys who said they would do it if they could find the parts.

My other vehicle is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 06:05 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achias View Post
I've been trying for over a year to get somebody to put headers on Ilsa (supercharged 5.3) but I either get dropped cold or just put off until I give up.

If you have headers on a 5.3 along with an x-pipe or h-pipe, please let me know what parts you have so I can help out the guys who said they would do it if they could find the parts.
Kooks makes headers for the 2003-2004 SSR 5.3. they also sell matching 2-1 catted Y pipe but not 2-2.
If you use these headers you will need to get two cats. You may be able to re-use your O2 sensors but new ones are recommended.
If you get the headers and cats , any good custom muffler shop can fabricate the balance of the exhaust.
https://www.kooksheaders.com/amfinde...-v8-5-3-444152
Joshvette bought these for his '03 but has not installed them yet.
Greg

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 06:55 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
I was going to do mine with headers then use the first cat that comes with the y pipe. Cut the Y before it brings the drivers side to the passenger side put the cats as close to the fronts as I can and go back from there with new pipe to a close X mount the mufflers standing up side by side and have the drivers side front pipe x over to the passengers side tail pipe and bring the passengers side front to the drivers side tail pipe. The reason was to some what even the exhaust length out but it is not really going to matter because after the mufflers it is just exiting and equalizing is not going to do much from the mufflers back. I was going to do it all in 3" stainless 304. I don't see this project making it this year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:11 AM

My SSR:
'06 Slingshot Yellow #21829. Adopted 12/28/13.
Quote:

Check with Joshvette - He has an 03 and I know he ordered a set of Kooks but hasn't installed. He also just recently set up as a dual exhaust.

I am sure he has the ordering info on the headers.

Thanks

Greg
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:15 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
bought a 04 yellow new, met a bunch of you guys on the 08 power tour, just bought black 05
I recently did the Kooks via Jeg's (p/n 579-27302400) with the Kooks catted y-pipe ( p/n 579-27303200) and Flowmaster. NOT an easy install , but then again headers never are. Love the sound and the performance
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Update

I got the Kooks headers and they were installed last week (along with a Magna 2300 supercharger). As expected, the guys said that it was a difficult install, but they got it done. The previous system was a custom true dual cat back system. The exhaust dude did install an equalizer between the pipes.

The only problem so far is that the power steering hoses are very close to the headers, and resulted in a burst hose (which will be repaired tomorrow). I'm asking either for a hose relocation or a ton of asbestos wrapping on the PS system. If it melts in cold weather, what's it going to do at a strip in the dog days of summer?

My other vehicle is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
......... The exhaust dude did install an equalizer between the pipes...........................
Where did they install an equalizer? Is it just behind the cats and before the cross-over to the right side of the truck?? All of my experience tells me that an equalizer, H-pipe and X-pipe must always be equa-distant from the engine... am I missing something?

There are some great hose heat shield options offered by DEI.

I also have a wire tray that will help with the wire harness routing across the top of the firewall, under the windshield shelf. Call me......

Mike
480-225-2123
Garys03SSR likes this.

One of the "Blues Brothers"

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:20 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
03 Redline, 8700 miles, automatic, and a 05 Aqua, 6400 miles, 6 speed
I just installed Stainless Works headers and their True Dual Exhaust system with SE's 5" chrome outlets, by myself, on my present "03 SSR. It was easy and cost me about 8 hours to install plus another 6 hours aligning everything afterwards. I had installed SW headers and TD exhaust systems on my previous '04 and '05 SSRs...…. great craftsmanship from SW and SE. NOTE; I did use a lot of heat shielding. Just my $.02.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
It's a custom exhaust with no cats. The equalizer is just beyond the headers and before the Jones glasspacks.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Where did they install an equalizer? Is it just behind the cats and before the cross-over to the right side of the truck?? All of my experience tells me that an equalizer, H-pipe and X-pipe must always be equa-distant from the engine... am I missing something?

There are some great hose heat shield options offered by DEI.

I also have a wire tray that will help with the wire harness routing across the top of the firewall, under the windshield shelf. Call me......

Mike
480-225-2123

My other vehicle is a
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Power steering hoses moved

A local GMC dealer relocated the power steering hoses, saying that it shouldn't be an issue anymore. How much to do that? Over $800 - jeeeeeez! I should have taken Ilsa to her favorite Cadillac dealer, but I thought that a small, simple job like this could be handled by somebody closer.

My other vehicle is a
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 09:37 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
WOW. When they handed your bill to you did they say Merry Christmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in