Problem With Supercharged SSR, fuel? electrical? something else? help! - Chevy SSR Forum
 11Likes
  • 2 Post By yellow bear
  • 1 Post By HUAW
  • 1 Post By Auggie Doggie
  • 1 Post By ROPE
  • 2 Post By Autoprof
  • 1 Post By 1BADSSR CDN
  • 2 Post By Mike in AZ
  • 1 Post By DrDJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

Location: Savannah, Georgia (by way of Orange County, California)

My SSR:
2005 LS-2 Supercharged Black Asphalt - upgrade trans, stereo system, exhaust, suspension, paint, +
Problem With Supercharged SSR, fuel? electrical? something else? help!

Greetings from new member DRdj - recently purchased a 2005 Supercharged SSR, drove a couple of hundred miles without incident, then all of sudden, it quit, no warning, no sound, no check engine light, etc. Waited a couple of minutes, restarted without a problem, drove another few miles, same thing, start, drive, stop. Got so bad I finally had to have it towed. Gave every indication of a bad crankcase sensor (plus computer indicated same), changed out and nothing - same problem. Have checked fuel lines, filter, pump, nothing. Wondering if it might be electrical? Computers indicated all is well, nothing else out of the ordinary. When it does run, smooth as a baby's butt; no excessive noise or sounds when it quits, nothing unusual when it restarts. Do not have the foggiest idea what is going on, can someone help?
Regards,
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:47 PM
Ex SoCal Nut
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
Do you have an '05 or '06? It may be the dreaded fuse box wire failure. Symptoms are it runs fine until it warms up and then quits. Starts back up after a cool down period, and then quits again. There IS a Fix here cheaper than a New fuse box, if it can be found.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 LS-2 Supercharged Black Asphalt - upgrade trans, stereo system, exhaust, suspension, paint, +
Hello Yellow Bear - thanks for the info, mine is a 2005, sounds like you describe - although the other day it was dong it's "thang" when the engine was cold, up until that point we thought it was the crank sensor, changed out to no effect, still exhibiting the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:07 PM
Ex SoCal Nut

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
BTW... Welcome to the Fanatic Family !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:26 PM
SSR Fanatic

My SSR:
06' Pac Blue #123244 w/Chrome Pkg, Born on date of 12-21-2005... Sadly Sold Pac Blue #121631 in 09'
Garage
This may get you started for ideas. Besides the fusebox issue there are also numerous ground wires on the frame that could be the culprit as well. Good luck but I'm sure more help is coming!
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5
RedlineRyder likes this.

"HUAW" = "Hooah", Its an ARMY Thing! Which can mean nearly anything that is Awesome or Positive!!! Just like a CHEVY SSR!!!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:56 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Also ignition switches go out pretty regular. Those three things should give you a place to start. If it is the fuse box you cannot see the broken wire to the naked eye. There are several guys on this Forum that make a jumper wire and also several that can rebuild or re-solder your fuse box if that is what it is. Good luck. A big hearty welcome from sunny Sturgis South Dakota.
RedlineRyder likes this.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:34 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'06 FPR #23615 ______ DOB 02.28.06
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDJ View Post
Greetings from new member DRdj - recently purchased a 2005 Supercharged SSR, drove a couple of hundred miles without incident, then all of sudden, it quit, no warning, no sound, no check engine light, etc. Waited a couple of minutes, restarted without a problem, drove another few miles, same thing, start, drive, stop. Got so bad I finally had to have it towed. Gave every indication of a bad crankcase sensor (plus computer indicated same), changed out and nothing - same problem. Have checked fuel lines, filter, pump, nothing. Wondering if it might be electrical? Computers indicated all is well, nothing else out of the ordinary. When it does run, smooth as a baby's butt; no excessive noise or sounds when it quits, nothing unusual when it restarts. Do not have the foggiest idea what is going on, can someone help?
Regards,
Don
Dragon2U is from Warner Robins, GA and he can fix the fuse box for you.
RedlineRyder likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:40 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
It's easy enough to test for the fuse box issue.
Do you own or have access to a voltmeter or 12v test light and know how to use either.
When the wire gets hot and expands due to the heat caused by the resistance of the break it causes relay #42 to shut down. This relay provides power to I believe 6 fuses in the under hood fuse box. This can be diagnosed by test for voltage on those fuses when the truck won't start. I have prepared a chart showing which fuses they are. I will be explaining this test procedure during my tech lesson at he Maggie valley rally. I will also have copies of the charts for all attendees. I will post the chart you need after dinner. I don't have access to those files from my phone
nj6969 and RedlineRyder like this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:54 PM

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
DrDJ, Welcome From Forney Texas. If you are capable, do what "Autoprof" suggest. Other ideas are good as well. Also someone close by may offer a helping hand. Hang in there. If you haven't yet, go the "New Member" section and introduce yourself.

Edit: just saw your New Member post

Nick

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:40 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
500 Hp SUPERCHARGED FPR LONGTUBE HEADERS 20"-22 "ZINIKS
check fuse holder to supercharger, red power. mine was doing the same last year and melted the fuse holder. change out fuseholder red power. toke a month checking grounds and saw smoke coming from it. no problem since.
I posted this problem last year
RedlineRyder likes this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:59 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
@1BADSSR CDN also has a good point - I am not familiar with the modification you need to do for supercharger.

Attached is the under hood fuse box chart I mentioned in a previous post.
Check the fuses highlighted in green when the truck won't start with the key in the RUN position.
If you have low or no voltage (or a weak or no test light) compared to ground (black lead or test light clip on ground) on these fuses --- suspect a fuse box failure. It could still be a bad relay or a problem with the wiring from the fuse box, but because fuse box is a common failure I would stat there. (BE sure to test other fuses for voltage to make sure your meter, ground connection and or test light is functioning properly.) You could let it cool and see if your results change just to satisfy the test procedure.

If you have good voltage on both sides of all of these fuses ----- look elsewhere for your problem.

I hope this helps and once again

Welcome from Central Ohio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05 underhood fuse box.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	545931  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:58 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
500 Hp SUPERCHARGED FPR LONGTUBE HEADERS 20"-22 "ZINIKS

My SSR:
500 Hp SUPERCHARGED
Do have a Magnacharger? If so this might help. About 6 weeks ago I driving on the highway at 70 m/h and after about 20 miles it just stopped like no gas, pulled over and won't start,dead battery. call for tow. charged battery 6 hours later driving and after about 5 miles same thing, like ran out of gas,but full tank,I filled up in the morning first time this year, pulled over and restarted and went for a couple of miles, same thing 5 times ,then would not start call for tow again.get home in garage and starts for about 5 minutes and stalls. didn't want to get tow#3. checking things lie gas cap, fuel pump, battery, fuse box and changed ignition switch. read about fuse box problems and banging my head against the wall for weeks
.(don't make me take it in for repairs) and get a couple thousand $dollar bill.
I was looking for codes but none came up. getting ready to empty full gas tank to change fuel pump started it up looking for codes with the hood up and I see a little smoke from engine, shut off and look nothing ,start up again and see smoke again, this time coming from fuse holder from powering MAGNA_VOLT and pulled it apart as it was melting. The fuse is a 30amp I believe, I can't tell it burned and all I can see is a 3 and I checked the Installation Instructions and can't find fuse size anywhere. So I replaced the fuse hold and 30 amp fuse going to the intercooler/magnavolt. Powers fuel pump for magnachager.
That explains why NO CODES, after market supercharger. Every thing seems good now, driving again last couple of days and no issues. After 12 years of washing the engine, must have got moisture in fuse holder.
CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF 30AMP IS RIGHT FOR MAGNA_VOLT
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:30 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Do you have a Magnavolt unit on top of your fuse box lid? They tend to burn the electrical connector on the back edge.

My best suggestion is to start it in the driveway and let it idle. While running, you can use a heat gun or a strong blow dryer (donít let your wife catch you using her good one) to heat up the Magnavolt unit and then the fuse box. If you have a heat related failure, it will show up......

Regards,

Mike

One of the "Blues Brothers"

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:14 AM

My SSR:
'05 Silver, Auto, Magnuson Supercharger
Like Mike said, the connector on the back of the Magnavolt may be the culprit. It has been on mine, and has done exactly as you indicated. You can try wiggling the wires coming out of the back of the connector, while the engine is running, to see if it cuts out. Our just pull the connector and look at the contacts. Do they look burned? Could only be one connector in the plug is not making a good contact. I used a Jeweler's screwdriver to "bend" the tangs on the connectors that looked squashed ( may have been a PO testing the connector with something like a voltmeter, jamming the probe into the connector). Doing this solved my problem.

I tested mine with a Fuel Pressure gauge hooked up. You could see the fuel pressure go from 60-0 as the wires were wiggled.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Hello HAUW - and thank you, I appreciate!!
DrDJ
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Hello Auggie Doggie; ROPE; AUTOPROF; 1BADASS CDN; MIKE IN AZ; DARBYSAN - I appreciate the terrific welcome to SSRFanatics and all the information. You guys (and ladies) have been so helpful, I will advise when up and running - should anyone end up in the Savannah, Georgia area let me know!!
DRdj
nj6969 likes this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:48 PM
SSR Fanatic

My SSR:
06' Pac Blue #123244 w/Chrome Pkg, Born on date of 12-21-2005... Sadly Sold Pac Blue #121631 in 09'
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDJ View Post
Hello HAUW - and thank you, I appreciate!!
DrDJ
We are ALL just one Big Fanatic Family! Hope you get it all figured out! 😉

"HUAW" = "Hooah", Its an ARMY Thing! Which can mean nearly anything that is Awesome or Positive!!! Just like a CHEVY SSR!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in