Rear Axle Gear Swap Info - Page 3 - Chevy SSR Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 187 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 06:43 AM

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo FPR 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
I don't know if he has learned since last year, but as of mid-2012 Jeremy Formato did NOT know how to adjust my '06 6-spd for 4.56 gears.

I had genuine NOS American Axle 4.56 gears installed by Lonnie last year; it took several attempts to get them not to whine (even though they still do a bit under load and when decelerating). After we were done I drove over to Jeremy Formato's at FasterProms to have the truck tuned per Lonnie's recommendation. Jeremy tuned the truck actually towing a Uhaul trailer (loaded with a piano that I was delivering to my Mom in Miami) as my main use for the truck is to tow my Airstream; I want low end torque more than high end horsepower. Jeremy also installed a ported and polished throttle body. Jeremy was kind enough to tune the truck late at night; he was pretty tired, and he worked pretty fast. But, the main reason I went to Jeremy was to have my speedometer corrected since I have a 6spd with 4.56 gears, and I made this clear to him. Over the phone, prior to having the truck tuned, he stated what I wanted to do wasn't a problem. But, halfway through the tune he informed me "I might not be able to get your speedo right...I remember there's an issue with these trucks, on the later models" which honestly took the wind out of my sails. The only REAL reason I was having the truck tuned was primarily to correct the speedometer from the newly installed 4.56 gears; the performance gain was simply a by-product of the essential nature of getting the speedo fixed. If he had told me he didn't know how to do this I wouldn't have had the truck tuned by him. He is apparently very well respected and well-known for LS tuning, and I figured for sure he knew how to adjust for the speedo-especially since he said it wouldn't be a problem-but I am out a good chunk of change for the tune (he DID take off $50 for the speedo problem...but the tune was worthless without the speedo working). He was a nice guy, and went out of his way to tune my truck, and I was totally happy with his tune performance-wise, but cruising at 65 while the speedo says almost 90 just wasn't gonna cut it. If it was predictable (say, always 10mph fast) that would be one thing, but the amount of error varied with speed. Totally frustrating. I wasn't a happy camper that night as at that point my speedo was horribly off, it was 12am, and I was out a few hundred bucks for a tune that I was going to have to have re-done right away by someone else for several hundred more dollars.

I ended up shipping it off to Bryan at PCMforLess...who set the speedo exactly right.

Lesson learned. HARD. As in almost $800 hard. Phruck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 187 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 06:03 PM

My SSR:
2006 Black 6spd
So 7 years after the last SSR has been built, what are the opinions of the best brand of 4.56 gears for the 14 bolt axles? I have seen a lot of mention of Motive, and Summit also has Richmond and G2 and there has been reference by others of Yukon.

Thanks!
post #63 of 187 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 01:15 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Black 2005 beast
Steve Guy, can you help me with part number for the 4.30? I cant find 4.30 on Summit's web page, so I really need some help, wich would be much appreciated.
//Lennart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 187 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Bump for Db.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sir Henry Royce, of Rolls-Royce
post #65 of 187 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 04:06 AM

Thanks Topspin for dragging this back out for this ReNewbie. On my former 05 6spd SSR in 06, Greg at ADS in Chandler AZ was able to tune it and correct the speedo and it was right on with the 4.10 gears. I thought the tune along with the gear change and cai made it much more drivable, better mpg's and much quicker. I've had him work on all my hot rods now for the last 8 years.

My expereince with gears has been-

Richmond-soft and very noisy.
Motive-strong (race version) bit noisy on decel
Yukon-pricey, but the quitest as well as great quality (GM gear)

When returning tonight from Ca with my newly purchased 05 6sp with stock gears, I set the cruise at 70 from Blythe to Phx. Ave mpg's per the dic were 22.0. According to my math at fill up it was 23.2. I'd expect that once I install 4.10 gears, replace the factory air intake that has a k&n filter with a full cai kit, do some exhaust work and get a custom dyno tune that the truck should be close to my former 05, which would get close to 25mpg with the same scenario as I ran tonight.
post #66 of 187 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Hey DB, you're certainly Welcome. I really hate spending time typing, so I'm quick to bring something back, or I find I simply don't reply at all!

It appears that mileage is of some concern to you, so I agree that 4.10s are the best fit for you. They were the the stock gears in the Trailblazer SS, with the same engine and roughly the same tire size and weight as the SSR. Why they didn't come stock in the R escapes me?! It's a shame that there's no 4.30s available for the 9.5 axle, as I feel that it's the ideal compromise ratio.

Hey, I almost forgot - Congrats on the new purchase!!

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

post #67 of 187 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 11:00 PM

I am sure alot of guys are already aware that there is a balance between adding hp and making an engine more efficient where it has to work less to give more can improve mpg's as well as more drivability during normal operation as we'll as give more go when wanted. To me that is some of the beauty of bumping up the power on these LS engines, which includes getting them in their preferred powerband, which sometimes steeper gears can provide.

I think a 4.30 gear might take me past that point with the 6sp, but if the 4.30 gear was available for these rear ends I think that's the gear I'd go for with the added performance.

Has anyone used both the 4.10 and the 4.56 gears and have quantifiable results (1/4 mile times) vs mpg??? I'd find that most interesting if so, or the stock gears vs their changed gearing...thx.

ps. My mech has informed me that actually aem gears are the factory gears and have the least amount of noise in his expereince...but they are pricey! Dealer cost-$900ish. His cost installed with new bearings is $1000+. Ouch! Going to think about this one for a bit vs the 4.56 as I only want to do it once.
post #68 of 187 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 01:35 AM
I DO WINDOWS

My SSR:
2003 #2393 black SB1 some-stuff-added
With 5.3 auto I add the 4:56 and loss mpg, but I gain some back with a good dyno tune.

At this time 5.3 with Maggie my instant gas mileage is 20.5 on cruse at 65mph
Average mileage is 16.8 and varies with ratio of town / freeway driving.

I drive with cruse as much as possible for gas and speeding tickets.

If I remember right the gear alone was worth 6/10ths in ľ
I was just hitting 5k rpm at the end of 1/4 in 3rd auto 97mph
But she runs much lighter (feel)

And all this is of little use for you with 6L stick.

Read this link... https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f22/...-56-1-a-23153/

REBEL with a CAUSE and a LOADED AIRBRUSH!
post #69 of 187 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 AM

Lots of good help here, why dosen't anybody list bryan herter's address? Catskinner
post #70 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Here's the last info that I had for Brian Herter:

147 Thompson Rd
Indiana, PA 15701

Office# 724 349 4431
Cell# 724 840 7402

post #71 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:37 PM
I DO WINDOWS

My SSR:
2003 #2393 black SB1 some-stuff-added
WOW Topspin I am glad you did not enter the Picture contest. I would not have wanted to pay for a Redwing / SSR poster.

REBEL with a CAUSE and a LOADED AIRBRUSH!
post #72 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
That's so funny Reb, as I was going to post in your thread that I was just waiting for Mickey Redmond to show up , for my photo shoot!

post #73 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 07:35 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
removing connections to ecm 05 6spd

I am sending my ecm in for a tune. I have it loose, but I am not sure how to remove the connections. I have removed the red straps and pulled back the grey stirrups. Any one help me with how to take out the three connections?
post #74 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 07:41 PM
Resident Rocket Scientist

My SSR:
Is now a C7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rasmussen View Post
I am sending my ecm in for a tune. I have it loose, but I am not sure how to remove the connections. I have removed the red straps and pulled back the grey stirrups. Any one help me with how to take out the three connections?
Just wiggle them loose from there. Pulling back the grey stirrups should have lifted the connectors away from the ECM a little bit.
post #75 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 08:00 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
Thanks. I will do that. I greatly appreciate you quick reply.

Has anyone else used a Hurst Billet Plus on their 6 spd? I put one on my '05 and I love it.
post #76 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Dave, what is the part# on the shifter that you used? Do you need to alter much to use it?

post #77 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 05:22 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
Sorry for the delay to getting back to you. I got it from core-shifters for the T56 specific to the SSR. They have done the alteration to fits only the SSR. As far as I know they are the only one that has altered the Hurst Billet Plus to make it fit. I could not find that Hurst offers one to fit the SSR. It is not difficult to put on, but you need to remove the console. The knob is the same height but the throw is much "crisper" and shorter with a stronger spring load. Core-shifters was excellent to work with.
post #78 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Thanks Dave, for the info. I knew Core was working on that shifter last year, but I thought they had abandoned the project.

post #79 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 11:51 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Here's a link to Core-shifters SSR page: core-shifters Product List
post #80 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 03:28 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
I got mine off E-bay. I think that they still have it listed there. Has anyone else done this?
post #81 of 187 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
nevermind.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #82 of 187 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Proud Original Owner

My SSR:
'03 #01155 Painted stripes, Magnaflow, K&N air system, Ported Throttle Body, 4:30 Gears. Custom Tune
Garage
I just read through this whole thread...lots of good information here.
Thanks, Topspin for starting the info thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RR--Ron & Frieda --- ------I'm on my second cup of coffee and still can't face the day - Gordon Lightfoot
post #83 of 187 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Glad it was helpful, Ron. Good Luck with the 4.30s - you'll love them, once installed!

post #84 of 187 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 09:49 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 427 UV, 65 BBVet, 96 ViperGTS, 68 396Cam, 69 Z/28, 92 Typhoon,11 392S/C Challenger, 86 El Cam
Garage
Ok Topspin...you know me, always chiming in late. I have an 04. I did a motor upgrade to LS-6 specs (plus a little extra goodies) and gear change (4:56) at the same time. My dyno to the rear wheels was around 360. Then tack on another 120 with nitrous thru a TB plate which by the way is never used...its for shows mostly. Three requirements for nitrous 1) system turned on with console switch 2) Must be under full throttle 3) on at 3000 rpm off at 6000 rpm. Then I went to Greg Ducato and did a complete rebuild with the good stuff for the tyranny. Bottom line 1st gear is pretty much useless. Under hard power romps consistently breaking the tires loose thru 2nd gear (without nitrous). My MPG during the power tour on the interstate running 75 mostly was about 18.2. I'm contemplating the vendor gear to get back my lower rpm at hwy speeds and keeping the engine in the "sweet spot" during lead foot operations. However having said all that the 4:56's makes the truck feel like a different beast all together. I do baby this thing and rarely romp on it and it gets the best I can find in fluids etc. The dual shotgun exhaust makes this thing sound a lot meaner than it actually is. I've considered supercharger but if I do will probably go back to 373 or 410 gears. Oh one other note MTI in Atlanta did my computer tune.
post #85 of 187 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Hey Spook, it's better late to the party than not showing at all!

Did you install a complete 5.7 in yours or just put a set of 243/799 castings on your 5.3?

The Gear Vendors unit is really a stout piece, with many of the Drag Week guys using it while running in the high 6 second range @ 2,000 hp plus! It's not cheap, but you'll probably never have an issue with it.

post #86 of 187 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 12:15 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 427 UV, 65 BBVet, 96 ViperGTS, 68 396Cam, 69 Z/28, 92 Typhoon,11 392S/C Challenger, 86 El Cam
Garage
5.3 fitted with forged pistons I picked up over 110 horse from stock with just all of that. with the 5.7 specs and LS-6 heads. Used the good vet cam (forgot which one though). Added all the niceties since I was already in there. Double timing chain, hi flow oil pump, roller rockers 1.85 etc etc. Yep Greg Ducato has got me interested in the VG unit again so I'm in the process of "heavily thinking" about it. Should return me to the RPM of the original 3:73...actually just a tad bit better. Need to get my wife thru a good Christmas though first. TS don't know if I shared the info with you or not but I found a way to decrease inlet air temps in my R by about 20 degrees (depending on weather). I took some 1/4 thick styrofoam and cut it to fit the gaps behind the airbox. Glued them in to the spots...unbelievable difference in something that started as an experiment.
post #87 of 187 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 08:42 AM

Mini-spool?

If i were to go with 4.30 in a auto equipped SSR, would i want to add a mini-spool or posi to eliminate the one leg take off???

thanks,

nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
This subject seems to come up again and again and again. This past week there have been two threads dedicated to this subject, and that is about typical over the past several years. My thought here is that maybe we can consolidate a lot of pertinent info into one place, then direct questions to it, rather than constantly repeating part #s, opinions, etc.

The question most frequently asked is, which is the "best" gear for the SSR. First of all, though we all own one, there's actually three different models to consider. They all share the same basic platform, with similar base weight and identical 3.73/1 axle ratios. All the automatic models have a .70 4th gear which converts to, a 2.61/1 final drive ratio. Couple that with 29.3" drive tires and you can understand why the automatics are lazy, off the line. The stick versions have a .57 6th gear which converts to a ridiculous 2.13/1 final drive ratio - it's no wonder they're hard on clutches! At 2000 rpm in high gear an automatic ( with no convertor slippage and no tire growth ) would be going around 66.5 mph. A stick, at the same rpm, would be going around 81.5 mph. To me, the stick is very poorly geared and demands a change. Getting back to the 3 models, the two different engines can influence your gear choice also. The LM4 makes 300 hp @ 5200 rpm, while making 331 #ft. @ 4000 rpm. The LS2 makes 395 hp @ 5700 rpm and 405 #ft. @ 4000 rpm. So, the LS2 has 74 #ft. additional torque at the same rpm as the LM4 - that's significant. With the 03/04, if it's increased performance that you're seeking, I believe the 4.56 is the best choice. The best compromise ratio would be a 4.30, with the 4.10 giving the least bang for the buck. If you get into blowers or convertor changes, then it's another story entirely. The 05/06 autos, with their increased torque, would probably handle the 4.30 real nicely. After 5 yrs. on my 4.56s, in my 6 sp., I wouldn't consider anything else.

Here's a few part #s to start the list:
MGR-GM9-5-456. That's A Motive Gear 4.56 for the 9.5" stick axle, from Summit. It's been in mine for 5 yrs. and 40k miles with no issues.
MGR-GM10-430. Motive Gear, 4.30 for the 8.5" axle, also from Summit. One of the forum members, that I talked with, went with that ratio and picked up around a half second in the 1/4 mile in his 04.

Feel free to add good and bad part #s along with recommended installers, and people to stay away from. Good installation has a LOT to do with the outcome.

If you want to play around with some #s, this old formula works well:
MPH = RPM x tire diameter x 2.96 divided by gear ratio x 1000.
post #88 of 187 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Nick, all the automatic SSRs came with a Torsen, limited slip differential, from the factory. If you're getting only one tire losing traction, the Torsen unit is malfunctioning. That would surprise me, as they're known for their reliability. If a Detroit Locker is available for that axle, it would probably be an upgrade, but most have had great success with the stock Torsen unit. I certainly wouldn't go to a mini spool, for any true street application, as they're noisy and hard on tires!

post #89 of 187 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 08:32 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 FPR Blown, lowered, smokin/ricochet
This is another great thread.
ADMINS... Is it possible to sticky this thread and the one by Xoxoxbruce concerning torque convertors?

These threads are invaluable and need high visibality.

Thank you, Charles
post #90 of 187 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 AM
Proud Original Owner

My SSR:
'03 #01155 Painted stripes, Magnaflow, K&N air system, Ported Throttle Body, 4:30 Gears. Custom Tune
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This is another great thread.
ADMINS... Is it possible to sticky this thread and the one by Xoxoxbruce concerning torque convertors?

These threads are invaluable and need high visibality.

Thank you, Charles
I agree!! It was a big help to me deciding on ring & pinion gear change.
Topspin was very helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RR--Ron & Frieda --- ------I'm on my second cup of coffee and still can't face the day - Gordon Lightfoot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in