Rear Axle Gear Swap Info - Page 4 - Chevy SSR Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Bump for Darren.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sir Henry Royce, of Rolls-Royce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 10:32 AM

My SSR:
06 Smoking Asphalt Cruising Machine
Great information everyone. I would like to get some advice in two areas.
I have an 06 with an Automatic. I'm still unsure which set of gears to get the 430s or the 456s. I want the extra get up and go but like others I don't want the engine sounding like it's whining out when I'm doing 75 on the highway. Any thoughts for clarification?

Second anyone know who to contact in the Northern VA area for a Custom Performance Tune? Can travel further if need be.
Thanks
Don
post #93 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRs Top Dawg View Post
Great information everyone. I would like to get some advice in two areas.
I have an 06 with an Automatic. I'm still unsure which set of gears to get the 430s or the 456s. I want the extra get up and go but like others I don't want the engine sounding like it's whining out when I'm doing 75 on the highway. Any thoughts for clarification?

Second anyone know who to contact in the Northern VA area for a Custom Performance Tune? Can travel further if need be.
Thanks
Don
The 4.30s, if you can still find them, would be a nice combo in your 06.

PCM of NC, is very experienced in the LS2 tuning area, but I don't know if Mooresville, NC is too far away for you? Pcmofnc is their web address.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 12:36 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2006 "Brickyard #26" - lives in Palm Springs, CA
"In my opinion" the 456s are to low for the 05/06 automatics but just right for the manual tranny 05/06 SSRs or the 03/04 autos. The 430s are an ideal balance if you do not spend most of your time on the interstates. If you ever plan to super charge (like I may one day) many just stay with the 373s or go to 410s at the lowest. I went to 410s after going back and forth with Topspin and am very very happy. I spend a fair amount of time on the interstates of Southern California and Arizona where you commonly run 90mph for hours at a time and the 410s are just right (would rev too high with anything lower). Stop light to stop light performance in noticeably better, the 430s would be even better.

Team Tall
post #95 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 01:01 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Maybellene 2006 SSR Auto #23699 SMOKIN'ASPHALT/RICOCHET SILVER Build Date: 03/02/2006
I went with the Richmond Gear 4:10 gears from Summit Racing

It gives acceleration and still some economy after a tune

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mike - mikebike in Surrey BC Canada Licence plate MY SSR
2006 SSR Auto SMOKIN'ASPHALT/RICOCHET SILVER
Build Date: 03/02/2006

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #96 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 03:13 PM

My SSR:
Thank you all,
Sorry for the. Late response as I have been out of town. Topspin, and everyone else who contributed your knowledge is amazing and very helpful. I'll take your advice and look for some 430s and see if I can contact PCM in North Carolina. It's about 10 hours away but I'll see if I can work it out. I had been looking at EB3 Motorsports in Manassas VA for a performance Tune as they come highly recommended in this area.

I was considering a Cam as well TopSpin would you have any recommendations on a quality brand and location to pick one up?
post #97 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Thank you all,
Sorry for the. Late response as I have been out of town. Topspin, and everyone else who contributed your knowledge is amazing and very helpful. I'll take your advice and look for some 430s and see if I can contact PCM in North Carolina. It's about 10 hours away but I'll see if I can work it out. I had been looking at EB3 Motorsports in Manassas VA for a performance Tune as they come highly recommended in this area.

I was considering a Cam as well TopSpin would you have any recommendations on a quality brand and location to pick one up?
Well Don, if you're considering going to PCM of NC, they have developed their own line of performance cams dedicated to the Trailblazer SS. The TBSS uses the exact same LS2 as we do and is a similar weight vehicle, so their cams cross over to the R very nicely. I'd imagine they're Comp Cams grinds and lobes that PCM has selected, and then attached silly names to. But, they get good reviews from the TBSS crowd and PCM will do the installation and tune, at their facility.

If you intend to do your own installation, I could offer up some cams and components that would work for you. Any decent camshaft upgrade will demand a converter change, additionally.

PCM has an oil tube fix, for the factory pan, that I highly recommend if you're going to aggressively drive your R. At the bare minimum, stuff an additional quart of oil in the pan - there's plenty of room for it!

post #98 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 09:43 AM

My SSR:
Bloodred05 #16864
if anyone knows a good source for 430 gears for an 05 auto let me know. my gear guy is so pissed off by the lack of good quality gears available today. he says his best gear brands have moved production over to china (from mexico) in the past few years and he spends way more time replacing defective poor quality gears now then ever before. he has a few companies that will make the 430 gears, but either the cost from one or the quality from the other makes me hesitate.
post #99 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 05:30 PM

My SSR:
Hello Eagle 1,
Earlier in this post TopSpin recommended the 430 Motive Gear from Summit Racing. The part number is MGR-GM10-430. I've attached the link for you.
I have an 06 but it will fit the 05 Auto as well.

Cost $206.00

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mg.../applications/
post #100 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 07:22 PM

My SSR:
Thanks TopSpin,
I map quested PCM and found they are actually 5.5hrs away so that is some good news. I emailed them and let them know what I was intending to do as well as the recommendations you made so I'm waiting for a response. I'll probably call them later this week.

Regarding the Cam and other items you offered, I'd sure like to do it on my own but I actually have very little knowledge in that department. I can do your basic mechanics, brakes, struts, tune-up and etc. but haven't taken an engine apart for probably 20 years or so. A lot of difference between the old 283s and 350s I used to tinker with and the LS2 I'm thinking. Could be wrong but I'd be afraid I'd have a few extra parts left over or something. That wouldn't be good.

Thanks to you and Team Tall for your advice. I appreciate it.
post #101 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 08:28 AM

My SSR:
Bloodred05 #16864
Quote:
Hello Eagle 1,
Earlier in this post TopSpin recommended the 430 Motive Gear from Summit Racing. The part number is MGR-GM10-430. I've attached the link for you.
I have an 06 but it will fit the 05 Auto as well.

Cost $206.00

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mg.../applications/
thanks for the link. the only problem is if you google "motive gears review" you get a flood of bad reviews about noise and lack of warranty support. now i understand usually you only hear about the problems and not the successes on the internet. but if i bring a set of gears to my gear guy and they are noisy, it will be on me to pay for the replacement and additional labor. i will visit with him about his feelings about motive gears.
post #102 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 12:33 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 blur with chameleon ghost flames and Magna charger.
All you guys talking about gear swaps has me thinking again about changing the gears in my 6-speed. It's supercharged so I don't really need the gears. But it probably would make it easier on the clutch. I will probably go with the .410 gears.
I hope your all happy with yourselves you just cost me another $1000.00.

LITEMUP
post #103 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 08:20 PM

My SSR:
Hey LiteMup,
Were glad to help you spend your money. It seems pretty common on this string as TopSpin talked me into putting a set of 430s in mine which led to a cam, and headers and a HP oil pump and a few other things. Got the quote today for the cam and header upgrade and it came to a little over 6K. Still got to get a quote for gears and installation for that but I'm guessing another 2K there.

Thanks Topspin your a great help I appreciate it.
post #104 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 09:27 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 blur with chameleon ghost flames and Magna charger.
Yes for the last several years it seems like my main hobby has been seeing how much money I can spend.

LITEMUP
post #105 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Hey LiteMup,
Were glad to help you spend your money. It seems pretty common on this string as TopSpin talked me into putting a set of 430s in mine which led to a cam, and headers and a HP oil pump and a few other things. Got the quote today for the cam and header upgrade and it came to a little over 6K. Still got to get a quote for gears and installation for that but I'm guessing another 2K there.

Thanks Topspin your a great help I appreciate it.
Hey, no problem Don, is PCM of NC going to do the work? Which cam are you going with and are you adding the oil pickup kit? What about a converter with the camshaft change?

post #106 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 05:31 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Black Asphalt 3SS Built 08/30/05 Kaminari SSR Wing & Airdam-Chinspoiler Sold 08/15/18
SSRs TopDawg

Hey don't worry about going into the LS2. Top Spin walked me thru new roller lifters and top end R&R. I had the same problem of not tearing into a motor for 25 years. There is a new learning curve, but Ken is a excellent instructor. There is one thing to start with is get a complete list of the parts you need from Ken before you start buying parts. I ended up with extra parts after finding out the head bolts are one time use and Ken had me go with FRP racing bolts which are reusable. Good luck but there are a lot of very smart guys here willing to help.

post #107 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 06:08 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSRUPTR View Post
Good luck but there are a lot of very smart guys here willing to help.
Yes, a lot of us have done some maintenance and/or hot rodding in the past, so know one end of a wrench from the other, although the electronics still requires sacrificing a pigeon and some dried bones.

That said, we have members pop up who have an incredible depth of knowledge and usually hands on experience to go with it.
These are people who can solve problems on the fly, problems nobody has discovered yet. And the cherry on top is their willingness to help.
Share knowledge and experience to help we engineeringly challenged. Many real class members here.
I got into a long discussion with WildBill at Sturbridge about the various car/bike organizations we'd been involved with over the years.
Both online forums and real world clubs have some annoying crap that happens just because it's people, I guess.
But we both wholeheartedly agreed there ain't no place like this place anywhere near this place... this is the place.
Thanks everyone.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #108 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 06:16 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Yes, a lot of us have done some maintenance and/or hot rodding in the past, so know one end of a wrench from the other, although the electronics still requires sacrificing a pigeon and some dried bones.

That said, we have members pop up who have an incredible depth of knowledge and usually hands on experience to go with it.
These are people who can solve problems on the fly, problems nobody has discovered yet. And the cherry on top is their willingness to help.
Share knowledge and experience to help we engineeringly challenged. Many real class members here.
I got into a long discussion with WildBill at Sturbridge about the various car/bike organizations we'd been involved with over the years.
Both online forums and real world clubs have some annoying crap that happens just because it's people, I guess.
But we both wholeheartedly agreed there ain't no place like this place anywhere near this place... this is the place.
Thanks everyone.
post #109 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 06:49 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
I couldn't agree more. Super amount of knowledge and willingness to share.

Dave
post #110 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 06:47 PM

My SSR:
Hello TopSpin,
Yes I am having the work done at PCM. I'm not exactly sure which Cam they are putting in it but it is one of theirs they manufactured. When complete it will not be the silent sneak up type it will be the lopey style which I prefer. I spoke to them about the issues with tuning the speedo on the 05-06 and they assured me that they could tune it properly.

Here is the list we come up with.

Oil Pump Pickup Tube Relocation Kit, PCM of NC Cam, Brian Tooley Deluxe Install Kit, Melling 10296 Oil Pump, COMP Trunion Upgrade, 160 Degree Thermostat, Kooks 1 3/4" Headers with Cats, HM Elliott Header Coating, Yank SS Series Converter, NGK TR6 Iridium Plugs, OEM GM Exhaust Gaskets, Dyno Tune Cammed LSX, Mobile 1 5w30 Oil Change.

Looks like they are booked through April 1st which is fine since I am having a Ground a Effects Kit and Hood with Cowl from MPD1 painted and installed right now which will take a few weeks. Probably perfect timing actually.

I'm figuring it will have the get up and go I'm looking for without putting a Supercharger on it.
post #111 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 06:50 PM

My SSR:
TopSpin,
Wanted to thank you for the recommendation. I appreciate it as I'm glad to be taking it to folks who specialize in our engines. I'm sure I'll be pleased with the results.

Don
post #112 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Hello TopSpin,
Yes I am having the work done at PCM. I'm not exactly sure which Cam they are putting in it but it is one of theirs they manufactured. When complete it will not be the silent sneak up type it will be the lopey style which I prefer. I spoke to them about the issues with tuning the speedo on the 05-06 and they assured me that they could tune it properly.

Here is the list we come up with.

Oil Pump Pickup Tube Relocation Kit, PCM of NC Cam, Brian Tooley Deluxe Install Kit, Melling 10296 Oil Pump, COMP Trunion Upgrade, 160 Degree Thermostat, Kooks 1 3/4" Headers with Cats, HM Elliott Header Coating, Yank SS Series Converter, NGK TR6 Iridium Plugs, OEM GM Exhaust Gaskets, Dyno Tune Cammed LSX, Mobile 1 5w30 Oil Change.

Looks like they are booked through April 1st which is fine since I am having a Ground a Effects Kit and Hood with Cowl from MPD1 painted and installed right now which will take a few weeks. Probably perfect timing actually.

I'm figuring it will have the get up and go I'm looking for without putting a Supercharger on it.

Very nice list of parts! You didn't mention a timing chain set, and that's one thing I'd definitely upgrade while you're in there! Probably the only change that I'd make, if it was mine, is keeping the stock t. stat instead of the 160.

That thing will be a beast when it rolls back out the door! Reminds me of a line from an old favorite movie, "Paint Your Wagon", " I give you the boy, you give me back the man "!

Good Luck with the project!

post #113 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSRUPTR View Post
Hey don't worry about going into the LS2. Top Spin walked me thru new roller lifters and top end R&R. I had the same problem of not tearing into a motor for 25 years. There is a new learning curve, but Ken is a excellent instructor. There is one thing to start with is get a complete list of the parts you need from Ken before you start buying parts. I ended up with extra parts after finding out the head bolts are one time use and Ken had me go with FRP racing bolts which are reusable. Good luck but there are a lot of very smart guys here willing to help.

Hey Jim, Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad that things worked out fine on your project!

post #114 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 09:07 AM

My SSR:
Thanks!
The timing chain I understood was in the Tooley Install Kit. I did discuss it as someone had mentioned a double chain and I asked Kelly at PCM about it. He said he didn't recommend the double. I will check back with him to make sure it is included. Do you have a recommendation on a specific one?

And the quote from the movie? It fits but when I do get the truck back I think it will be the other way around and make me feel like a boy again. Like when I was driving my first car a 72 Camaro. It was an eye catcher and had everything I needed under the hood.

Thanks again for the advice.
post #115 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 08:14 PM

My SSR:
TopSpin
I checked on the Brian Tooley Deluxe Cam Install kit and the following is what it contains.

Our Brian Tooley basic cam install kits for 2006 & older LSx include a set of Brian Tooley .660" lift Platinum Dual Spring Kit (titanium retainers, dual polished springs, spring locators, locks and seals), Brian Tooley 7.4" pushrods, an OEM GM LSx timing chain (option available to upgrade to Katech C5R chain if preferred), OEM GM harmonic balancer bolt, two GM valvecover gaskets, one front timing cover seal, one front timing cover gasket, two water pump gaskets, and an oil pump o ring. 2007+ DELUXE install kits include aforementioned parts and a three bolt cam conversion kit with ARP bolts (shown in photo). Please note what year, make, and model your vehicle is during check out (otherwise we will assume late-model LS and send a red oil pump o-ring). These kits are shipped with 7.400" pushrods, if you need another size, please specify!

It does include the timing chain.
post #116 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
TopSpin
I checked on the Brian Tooley Deluxe Cam Install kit and the following is what it contains.

Our Brian Tooley basic cam install kits for 2006 & older LSx include a set of Brian Tooley .660" lift Platinum Dual Spring Kit (titanium retainers, dual polished springs, spring locators, locks and seals), Brian Tooley 7.4" pushrods, an OEM GM LSx timing chain (option available to upgrade to Katech C5R chain if preferred), OEM GM harmonic balancer bolt, two GM valvecover gaskets, one front timing cover seal, one front timing cover gasket, two water pump gaskets, and an oil pump o ring. 2007+ DELUXE install kits include aforementioned parts and a three bolt cam conversion kit with ARP bolts (shown in photo). Please note what year, make, and model your vehicle is during check out (otherwise we will assume late-model LS and send a red oil pump o-ring). These kits are shipped with 7.400" pushrods, if you need another size, please specify!

That's a real nice package with everything you'll need. The Tooley stuff has a real good reputation and is widely used.

The factory chain is reported to be reliable with under 400# spring loads. The C5R is certainly a better part at WAY more $! Personally, I went with a TFS billet set with a double row chain. The installers don't like them because there can be clearance issues with the timing cover that require some additional effort to overcome. For me it was mandatory to have the fully adjustable set, as it has multiple keyways, to properly degree the camshaft.

Don't know if you've considered the C6 oil pan, but you can sometimes find new take-offs at a decent price. Of course, you need to change the crossmember then, but it is an improved component that you're going to. It ends up costing more than the tube replacement, but is a definite improvement in the oiling system! You're going to have the labor cost to remove the pan, either way.

post #117 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 09:43 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Lightbulb

Quote:
TopSpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
That's a real nice package with everything you'll need. The Tooley stuff has a real good reputation and is widely used.

The factory chain is reported to be reliable with under 400# spring loads. The C5R is certainly a better part at WAY more $! Personally, I went with a TFS billet set with a double row chain. The installers don't like them because there can be clearance issues with the timing cover that require some additional effort to overcome. For me it was mandatory to have the fully adjustable set, as it has multiple keyways, to properly degree the camshaft.

Don't know if you've considered the C6 oil pan, but you can sometimes find new take-offs at a decent price. Of course, you need to change the crossmember then, but it is an improved component that you're going to. It ends up costing more than the tube replacement, but is a definite improvement in the oiling system! You're going to have the labor cost to remove the pan, either way.
Dawg I agree with Topspin. IMO would not do the other upgrades without a C6 oil pan. Especially if you plan on doing any aggressive driving.
post #118 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 10:24 AM

My SSR:
Thanks Gentlemen,
I'll talk to the shop this week as the work is not planned until the first part of April due to them being backed up. I do appreciate the advice and will definitely consider it all as I move forward.
post #119 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 02:55 PM

My SSR:
Topspin,
Would this be the oil pan you were referring to?

Oil Pan for LS2 / LS3 C6 Corvette - 12624617 12624617
post #120 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 03:27 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in