LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2006 Slingshot Yellow 3SS Born 12/16/2005 #189
Garage
Throttle Body

Just purchased a Magi Super Charger from Left Coast 32. In my conversation with Joe he stated I would need to replace the stock throttle body. Has anyone had experience with this upgrade. Any input would be greatly appreciated.2006 auto trans....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 10:32 AM

My SSR:
2005 Black Automatic
Here is what Ligenfelter uses when the add a Magnuson supercharger to a Corvette LS2 (claim of 600 HP).....no mention of a throttle body change.....not sure what throttle body differences there are between the SSR LS2 ans the Corvette LS2.

Product Details
Package includes:
- Magnuson TVS2300 intercooled supercharger system
- Black powder coated finish
- Based on OEM Eaton supercharger unit
- Properly sized fuel injectors
- Lingenfelter 160 thermostat
- Lingenfelter C6 Corvette SV2, SV3 or SV4 supercharger hood
- SV2 on Yellow car SV3 on White & Jet Stream Blue car, SV4 Cyber Grey car
- Professional painting and finishing of hood for perfect match
- Professional installation, testing & PCM calibration
- Magnuson 3/36 warranty on supercharger assembly
- Chassis dyno testing before & after installation
RedlineRyder likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 10:55 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamminnanner06 View Post
Just purchased a Magi Super Charger from Left Coast 32. In my conversation with Joe he stated I would need to replace the stock throttle body. Has anyone had experience with this upgrade. Any input would be greatly appreciated.2006 auto trans....
I purchased a polished Corvette throttle body from Joe when I got the supercharger. I'm sure it's available without the polishing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3330.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	347665  

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
The part number you need is 12570790. Also known as AC Delco 217-1617.

If you want, I can supply it for $425, plus a little shipping.

Regards,

Mike

One of the "Blues Brothers"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Slingshot Yellow 3SS Born 12/16/2005 #189
Garage
Thanks for all the input..Not sure why I would have to replace the stock throttle body (8,400 original miles)? Would the mentioned (AC Delco 217-1617) be a stock replacement or an upgrade? Thanks for all your help...
an ole grunt
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 03:59 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
Quote:
Thanks for all the input..Not sure why I would have to replace the stock throttle body (8,400 original miles)? Would the mentioned (AC Delco 217-1617) be a stock replacement or an upgrade? Thanks for all your help...
an ole grunt
It is an upgrade. The standard 2005-2006 SSR throttle body has an anemic return spring and does not put up with a supercharger. The 217-1617 has a much more robust return spring and is a direct replacement for the 05-06.

Mike

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 09:26 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2003 "Ilsa" with many mods for strip and track.
I'm a little skeptical in the amount of good that a different throttle body would do for my '03 Magnuson supercharger, but what got me about the Lingenfelter info was "Properly sized fuel injectors."

Any solid info on changing injectors for better performance?

My other vehicle is a
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 09:55 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achias View Post
I'm a little skeptical in the amount of good that a different throttle body would do for my '03 Magnuson supercharger, but what got me about the Lingenfelter info was "Properly sized fuel injectors."

Any solid info on changing injectors for better performance?
A polished throttle body would make it look purtier, which automatically increases performance.

Can't tell you for sure about the MP112, but the TVS2300 comes with properly sized fuel injectors, with a different connector than used on the factory injectors. Fair to assume Magnusson would have done the same with the MP112.

Joe could confirm for you whether the injector set can be further upgraded.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:03 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Redline Red, KB supercharger
Garage
Throttle body 217-1617

Mike,

What is the failure mode for using the original throttle body with a supercharger, or maybe I am asking what are the symptoms? Hesitation, stumbling, slow response? I have a KB supercharger and original throttle body in a recently purchased SSR and have just started looking for the cure to some of the above problems. Not serious symptoms but noticeable, as least to me.

Jim
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
2005-2006 only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watts View Post
Mike,

What is the failure mode for using the original throttle body with a supercharger, or maybe I am asking what are the symptoms? Hesitation, stumbling, slow response? I have a KB supercharger and original throttle body in a recently purchased SSR and have just started looking for the cure to some of the above problems. Not serious symptoms but noticeable, as least to me.

Jim
Jim,

The reported failure mode of the OEM throttle body on a high flowing supercharger, like the TVS2300 is this....... With full throttle acceleration and a lot of airflow, lifting your foot produces a slight hesitation in response from the throttle body because of the amount of air across the butterfly plate. This hesitation is seen by the computer as a difference between commanded position and actual position of the throttle body and it reverts to limp mode immediately......... Really ugly.......

Not all SSRs will have this happen....... I just prefer to not take the chance on the "bad show" it would display.

As far as your particular installation goes, the symptoms you are getting are indicative of a poor fuel mapping by the tuner......There are very, very few Kenny Bell installations on SSRs, so it would take a skilled tuner to solve it. I also am suspicious that you have to too fast of a "tip-in" for throttle opening. You should also be sure that the minimum fuel flow is not set too low. This will create a stumble on throttle transition from off to on. You should also have a close look at your inlet air temps below the Kenny Bell and in front of the intake port. High inlet temps will significantly retard ignition and richen fuel to prevent detonation. You will need to spend time with your tuner..... Especially considering hot weather tunes......

Mike

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 09:41 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Redline Red, KB supercharger
Garage
OK, Thanks Mike, for the insight. I'll let you know what I find!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 07:50 PM

My SSR:
Yellow 2004
It might be different for the 03 04 but I run the stock TB and maf on a 112 and a 122 and changed to a 90 mm and a Ligenfelter maf and it didn't pick up anything but it sure was hard to tune, I talked to Joe about it and he said the Ligenfelter's was really hard to tune, Matter of fact after 10 years I am putting the stock tb and maf back on the 122, Am I missing something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in