Want To Change The Exhaust System On MY 05 - Chevy SSR Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2005 Black Automatic
Want To Change The Exhaust System On MY 05

Have a 05 that had a set of Flowmaster Series 50 mufflers on it when I bought it last year. Really like they way they sound but have terrible "drone" when cruising down the highway. Wondering what system any of you have changed over to that sound great when getting on the throttle but has no drone. Have heard that Magaflow has no drone.

thanks
Auggie Doggie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:57 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Smokin' Asphalt / Ricochet Silver Metallic
I had the series 40 on my '36 Ford Coupe as recommended by Flowmaster. Good sound at idle and no drone on the highway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I may not have ended up where I intended to go, but I know I've ended up where I'm intended to be...starting out with nothing and still having most of it left!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 05:04 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 Blk/Silver FPR 06 Blur/Silver other toys 06 GTO, 70 Judge, 72 GTO, 2014 CTS-V Coupe 02 Firehawk
I put a Corsa system on My 04 UV. I think they offer a mild and wild version. I did the Mild one but really love it. Just a slight purr on the highway until you put your foot down. I'm very happy. Sounds good at startup too.

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 05:40 PM

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow 6 speed
Smile corsa

I have the CORSA and really like it. It was already installed when I got it so can't say which one it is. No drone at cruise speed. But get on it and all can hear along with the "popcorn" burble when you let off it.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 05:51 PM
Copacetic Kris

My SSR:
05 6/6 Aqua Blurr BOD 2/2/05 Eric's Hood scoop, CO6 clutch,dyno, Lonnie 59 taillamps, MikeAZ exhaust
Garage
Want To Change The Exhaust System On MY 05

I have Mike's from Simple Engineering and love the sound. Don't notice any sort of drone on the hwy. Has a distinct old style sound. I tell my friends she's the only woman I don't mind talking back to me LOL
Jerry likes this.

"Life is tough. Life is tougher when your stupid"
John Wayne
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:23 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
I don't think Mike has access to these anymore. If he did I think I would have one.

Dave
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:33 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Went to a shop called Exhaust Pro's and had the Y pipe on mine split into individual pipes from the manifold through the cats into a Magnaflow stainless X muffler. Two pipes in and two pipes out and used stock tail pipes. Throaty purr going down the road, no drone or vibration. Very close to true duals. When you stand on it the X muffler really extracts the exhaust and it hauls. You get the full power and sets you back in the seat. Remarkable difference from stock. Sounds and seems much faster.

P.S. Mike from Arizona and a couple others helped me work this out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:40 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
Auggie\\

Do you have any pictures you could post?

Dave
Mr. Bill likes this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:43 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
This is an old post when we did the conversion. Don't know how to do pictures. Our kids call us cave people. Go figure!!!

Dual exhaust idea. Got up bright and early and went to the custom muffler shop about 4 months ago. He said he could do it but thought the #12568 MagnaFlow would be a better fit with two 2.5 inlets and two 2.5 outlets.Same length as stock muffler and other dimensions. He cut out the Y pipe and split the pipe from the Cats back to the new muffler and reattached the tail pipes. He carefully removed the heat shield from the old pipes and muffler and gave it to me because he said he does systems similar to this all the time and didn't see any reason for the heat shield but said I could put it on if I wanted to.

All I can say is:
1. sounds alot better at idle and at all speeds.
2. Makes the SSR feel and sound "Wicked Fast" off the line. Huge difference.
3. Quieter at cruise speed. No drone.
4.A head snapper when you floor it.
5. in one word, "SWEET".

I had done the cat back Flowmaster set up on my chevy 4x4 pick up and it was way to loud and had a hard vibration about 60 mph. It was not for me so had it taken off and replaced with a Magnaflow set up. Starts out quiet but really performs when you get on it. MagnaFlow is stainless and lifetime warranty and is more into performance than just loud. My 2 cents.
Shadowman likes this.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:50 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
I put a NoWeeds cut out on my stock. I like it cruising with the top down. It gets pretty loud with top up however. The NoWeeds came form South Dakota by the way.

Dave
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2005 Black Automatic
Auggie, thanks for the info....sounds like the solution to my issue.
Will look into getting it done.

thanks

Dual exhaust idea. Got up bright and early and went to the custom muffler shop about 4 months ago. He said he could do it but thought the #12568 MagnaFlow would be a better fit with two 2.5 inlets and two 2.5 outlets.Same length as stock muffler and other dimensions. He cut out the Y pipe and split the pipe from the Cats back to the new muffler and reattached the tail pipes. He carefully removed the heat shield from the old pipes and muffler and gave it to me because he said he does systems similar to this all the time and didn't see any reason for the heat shield but said I could put it on if I wanted to.

All I can say is:
1. sounds alot better at idle and at all speeds.
2. Makes the SSR feel and sound "Wicked Fast" off the line. Huge difference.
3. Quieter at cruise speed. No drone.
4.A head snapper when you floor it.
5. in one word, "SWEET".

I had done the cat back Flowmaster set up on my chevy 4x4 pick up and it was way to loud and had a hard vibration about 60 mph. It was not for me so had it taken off and replaced with a Magnaflow set up. Starts out quiet but really performs when you get on it. MagnaFlow is stainless and lifetime warranty and is more into performance than just loud. My 2 cents.[/QUOTE]
dave rasmussen likes this.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:55 AM

My SSR:
Burt II 2006 Ricochet Silver 6 Speed 3SS #22341
What is the CORSA going for?
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 11:52 AM

My SSR:
2005 SMOKIN ASPHALT
I have a 2005 SSR and have SLP stainless long tube headers with dual cat backs and a 2 into 1 stainless Corsa muffler. When behaving it purrs like a kitten. Over 3400 rpm and higher it roars like a dragster. Had the setup on stock engine with only a chip with MAF sensor and K&N intake. Same setup so works on a 600 lift long duration cam, MAF, custom programmed chip and more from Breathless Performance in Fort Lauderdale! Currently making 490 hp at rear wheels. You can sneak in late night or turn heads for miles on desire!
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Tech Support/Research

Exhaust

Here's a similar thread from not long ago...

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/exhaust-168409/

Corsa systems for the SSR are priced at approx. $1100-$1200.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 03:45 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Slvr born 11-19-04, Flowmaster Cats, Borla Dual Exh, K&N Filter, Vette servo, custom tune, lowrd.
Garage
I've got the Borla dual exhaust system with connecting cross-over pipe. It looks and sounds really good, to me anyway. Everybody has their own thoughts as to whether it's too loud or it has a drone sound but I really like my Borlas.
Don Turner likes this.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:19 PM

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo FPR 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
I agree with the horrible drone of the Flowmaster. I had one on my truck for literally hours. I went with straight pipe...still one of the best mods I ever did.

BTW...here's a copy/paste of what I wrote back in 2006 (and reposted last year) regarding my muffler testing (I tested a bunch) and my decision on doing the straight pipe with my 2006 6spd:

"Well, I did it today...

Straight pipes here I came!!!! I put the Flowmaster Super40 on Friday, and I just needed a little more obnoxiousness. The muffer shop said, "That's not loud enough for you?" when I brought the truck in. I told them I can really only hear it when I nail it but I just wanted more midrange "honk" and raspiness (what most people try to get RID of ha ha).

Well, needless to say, I got the exact sound I was looking for.

Anyway....the sound is PERFECT. It is not NEARLY as loud as you would think being wide open. Sound at idle and slow cruising is actually quieter than the Flowmaster Super40. When you nail it, it sounds like a true 60's musclecar. It just SLAMS without being too obnoxious. Its definitely not "Bubba-esque" because it remains reasonably quiet until you nail it. Everyone at the muffler shop (customers included) were full of grins and cheers. I am VERY happy with the results! I'm telling you, you would not BELIEVE how well the truck sounds and performs with no muffler. I, myself, didn't believe it...until I tried it! And I paid quite a lot of money to get the Flowmaster and install it. I wish I would have ran it straight in the first place! A lot of people here advised me to do that...but I was scared it was going to be WAY too loud. Trust me...it ISN'T.

The muffler shop let me audition several mufflers, BTW. Tried Magnaflow Wide Opens, various Flowmasters, a M something or other race muffler (sounded nearly identical to straight pipes but LOUDER...didn't like that too much). As far as a MUFFLER, the Super40 DEFINITELY is the best sounding. It has that Flowmaster grunt, but amplifies the actual lower midrange sound moreso than the Flowmaster 40, which resonates the super low frequencies MUCH more than no muffler or even the Super40 while quieting the upper raspiness. The regular 40 got rid of too much of the rasp that I was looking for and created way too much low resonance inside. The Super40 definitely has LESS interior resonance and less booming drone. If I were to put a muffler back on, I'd go again with the Super 40. Yes, it is a tad soft, but not nearly as bad as the others. The Magneflow Wide Open changed the tone too much...just didn't sound "right"...some frequencies cancelled out, and it was farty and too poppy. It also made something behind my seat make a buzzing noise.

So, the bottom line...do the single straight pipe if you want midrange thickness and slamming tone like a 60's musclecar which is ONLY obnoxious when you WANT it to be (depending on how much throttle you give it).

Hope this helps anyone who is contemplating what I did."

Bottom line...the Flowmaster was LOUDER inside than stock (and the drone drove me nuts in a matter of minutes) and much too subdued outside. Straight pipe was...and is...perfect for this truck.

Here's a link to that thread from last year which I will also bump:

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f99/flowmaster-144922/

I've actually since went with straight true duals on a whim; I have the stock cats but after that I have two separate 2.5" pipes with a small H pipe as close to the engine as possible. There are no mufflers. The odds of getting a power increase in a certain powerband are a complete crapshoot doing something like this, but man oh MAN did it make a difference. I spoke with Mike in Az before doing this, and we both agreed there was no real way to tell what would happen without trying it. I was TOTALLY happy with the stock setup with a Y-pipe, but I always wanted to try true duals since I use my truck to pull my Airstream and am always looking for more low end torque and pulling power. My GOD did it make a difference...it's not insignificant at all. The straight true duals ARE louder than the straight Y-pipe, and slightly raspier at first. It could be slightly TOO loud for alot of people just because of the nature of the tone. The straight Y-pipe's tone is PERFECT with just the right amount of volume, rumble, and canon-fire when you step on it. Straight true duals is actually higher pitched than the straight Y-pipe (even with an H pipe crossover which is supposed to be deeper than an X pipe which is actually supposed to be higher pitched). True dual straight pipes STILL sound GREAT, and again drone is NOT a problem; it seems that the mufflers on these trucks actually CAUSE the drone more than straight pipe. But, sound-wise, straight Y-pipe is much less obnoxious and more pleasing than straight true duals. But, the real world towing power difference up mountain climbs and on take-off with true dual straight pipe is unreal and TOTALLY worth it. Without the trailer, with straight true duals the truck performs as if it weighs 2000lbs less; it's simply amazing how it takes off with nothing but a tune, the true dual straight pipes and 4.56 gears. My truck equipped the exact same way but with the previous straight Y-pipe was amazingly quick, but now it's SCARY fast for the amount of weight and mass it's moving. I'm very happy. Cost was about $400.

Hope this helps!

Jeff
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 07:33 PM
Styles Sport Roadster

My SSR:
05 Yelow SSR & Yellow Trailer
Removed my mufflers about 6 years ago . Loved it since doing it.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 01:23 AM
SSR Fanatic

My SSR:
06' Pac Blue #123244 w/Chrome Pkg, Born on date of 12-21-2005... Sadly Sold Pac Blue #121631 in 09'
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoat!!! View Post
I agree with the horrible drone of the Flowmaster. I had one on my truck for literally hours. I went with straight pipe...still one of the best mods I ever did.

BTW...here's a copy/paste of what I wrote back in 2006 (and reposted last year) regarding my muffler testing (I tested a bunch) and my decision on doing the straight pipe with my 2006 6spd:

"Well, I did it today...

Straight pipes here I came!!!! I put the Flowmaster Super40 on Friday, and I just needed a little more obnoxiousness. The muffer shop said, "That's not loud enough for you?" when I brought the truck in. I told them I can really only hear it when I nail it but I just wanted more midrange "honk" and raspiness (what most people try to get RID of ha ha).

Well, needless to say, I got the exact sound I was looking for.

Anyway....the sound is PERFECT. It is not NEARLY as loud as you would think being wide open. Sound at idle and slow cruising is actually quieter than the Flowmaster Super40. When you nail it, it sounds like a true 60's musclecar. It just SLAMS without being too obnoxious. Its definitely not "Bubba-esque" because it remains reasonably quiet until you nail it. Everyone at the muffler shop (customers included) were full of grins and cheers. I am VERY happy with the results! I'm telling you, you would not BELIEVE how well the truck sounds and performs with no muffler. I, myself, didn't believe it...until I tried it! And I paid quite a lot of money to get the Flowmaster and install it. I wish I would have ran it straight in the first place! A lot of people here advised me to do that...but I was scared it was going to be WAY too loud. Trust me...it ISN'T.

The muffler shop let me audition several mufflers, BTW. Tried Magnaflow Wide Opens, various Flowmasters, a M something or other race muffler (sounded nearly identical to straight pipes but LOUDER...didn't like that too much). As far as a MUFFLER, the Super40 DEFINITELY is the best sounding. It has that Flowmaster grunt, but amplifies the actual lower midrange sound moreso than the Flowmaster 40, which resonates the super low frequencies MUCH more than no muffler or even the Super40 while quieting the upper raspiness. The regular 40 got rid of too much of the rasp that I was looking for and created way too much low resonance inside. The Super40 definitely has LESS interior resonance and less booming drone. If I were to put a muffler back on, I'd go again with the Super 40. Yes, it is a tad soft, but not nearly as bad as the others. The Magneflow Wide Open changed the tone too much...just didn't sound "right"...some frequencies cancelled out, and it was farty and too poppy. It also made something behind my seat make a buzzing noise.

So, the bottom line...do the single straight pipe if you want midrange thickness and slamming tone like a 60's musclecar which is ONLY obnoxious when you WANT it to be (depending on how much throttle you give it).

Hope this helps anyone who is contemplating what I did."

Bottom line...the Flowmaster was LOUDER inside than stock (and the drone drove me nuts in a matter of minutes) and much too subdued outside. Straight pipe was...and is...perfect for this truck.

Here's a link to that thread from last year which I will also bump:

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f99/flowmaster-144922/

I've actually since went with straight true duals on a whim; I have the stock cats but after that I have two separate 2.5" pipes with a small H pipe as close to the engine as possible. There are no mufflers. The odds of getting a power increase in a certain powerband are a complete crapshoot doing something like this, but man oh MAN did it make a difference. I spoke with Mike in Az before doing this, and we both agreed there was no real way to tell what would happen without trying it. I was TOTALLY happy with the stock setup with a Y-pipe, but I always wanted to try true duals since I use my truck to pull my Airstream and am always looking for more low end torque and pulling power. My GOD did it make a difference...it's not insignificant at all. The straight true duals ARE louder than the straight Y-pipe, and slightly raspier at first. It could be slightly TOO loud for alot of people just because of the nature of the tone. The straight Y-pipe's tone is PERFECT with just the right amount of volume, rumble, and canon-fire when you step on it. Straight true duals is actually higher pitched than the straight Y-pipe (even with an H pipe crossover which is supposed to be deeper than an X pipe which is actually supposed to be higher pitched). True dual straight pipes STILL sound GREAT, and again drone is NOT a problem; it seems that the mufflers on these trucks actually CAUSE the drone more than straight pipe. But, sound-wise, straight Y-pipe is much less obnoxious and more pleasing than straight true duals. But, the real world towing power difference up mountain climbs and on take-off with true dual straight pipe is unreal and TOTALLY worth it. Without the trailer, with straight true duals the truck performs as if it weighs 2000lbs less; it's simply amazing how it takes off with nothing but a tune, the true dual straight pipes and 4.56 gears. My truck equipped the exact same way but with the previous straight Y-pipe was amazingly quick, but now it's SCARY fast for the amount of weight and mass it's moving. I'm very happy. Cost was about $400.

Hope this helps!

Jeff
Jeff, your going to make me spend $400 I don't have!
Seriously, great information for everyone!

"HUAW" = "Hooah", Its an ARMY Thing! Which can mean nearly anything that is Awesome or Positive!!! Just like a CHEVY SSR!!!
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:17 PM

My SSR:
06' Pacific Blue #22858 Born 12/08/05 Adopted 03/10/07
I also have the Corsa exhaust on my 06. Nice sound, no drone. They know you're coming when you put your foot in it.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 05:41 PM

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
I also have the Corsa exhaust on my 06. Nice sound, no drone. They know you're coming when you put your foot in it.
Women, children, and small rodents run screaming when you put your foot in it with true dual straight pipes!!!

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 09:41 PM

My SSR:
2006 Black 6spd
I just went the true dual (no cross over) straight pipes after installing long tube headers with high flow cats and with my technique of driving my 6 speed with 4.56 it is just too loud at launch and hard shifting! I easily drowned out two Harley today taking off from a stop light tonight at less than full throttle.

Now the quest for the right muffler/s to keep the pop and gurgle on down shift as well as a deep roar on launch and shifts but loose the loud cracks I am currently experiencing on launch and shifts. Any suggestions?
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 04:09 AM

My SSR:
Hmmm...

Mine's loud, but not NEARLY like yours. Mine is only loud when you WANT it to be.

I have stock cats and no headers. That's the difference.

The stock cats act like little mufflers. Alot of people don't realize the amazing volume reduction stock cats provide.

Regarding which mufflers...ask Mike Moro. I heard his truck in person and it sounds great...but it's not that loud...now. However, he had some different mufflers on his truck when he first developed his old true dual setup that were louder...that might just do the trick to calm yours down a bit. He would probably be able to tell you what they were.

Just avoid Flowmaster...the drone will drive you nuts.

By the way...you'll also notice that in a few hundred miles the rasp will mellow a bit as the pipes coat with carbon internally...but it'll still be loud.

Good luck!
Jeff
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 04:53 AM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57vroom View Post
I just went the true dual (no cross over) straight pipes after installing long tube headers with high flow cats and with my technique of driving my 6 speed with 4.56 it is just too loud at launch and hard shifting! I easily drowned out two Harley today taking off from a stop light tonight at less than full throttle.

Now the quest for the right muffler/s to keep the pop and gurgle on down shift as well as a deep roar on launch and shifts but loose the loud cracks I am currently experiencing on launch and shifts. Any suggestions?
I have been running Old School True Duals since 2007 with various mufflers installed. I originally had a pair of custom built straight-through glass pack style that were OK. Changed them. The 10" long Spin Techs were criminally loud. I put in a pair of 4" diameter, 18" long Magnaflow 10426. They were almost as loud as the Spin Techs.

What I am running now is a pair of 6" diameter, 18" long Magnaflow 12646. These are almost the same as the original hand-built mufflers, but have a deeper tone and are not as raspy. (That was my complaint about now the original mufflers).

I've had several sets of the Old School True Duals built for customers with the Magnaflow 12646 and they all love them. Low rumble at idle, quiet cab at cruise and a great bark at full throttle.... But not raspy. All of the installations have been on stock exhaust manifolds with OEM (or similar) cats. Using the 12646 behind long tube headers and high flow cats will yield the same idle and cruise sound, but will have a louder WOT note.

Try the Magnaflow 12646....... They would be a great first step to see if you get what you are looking for. From there, you can go shorter (14" 12616) or longer (27" 12640).

My two cents.......

Mike
mikebike likes this.

One of the "Blues Brothers"

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 01:00 PM

My SSR:
2006 Black 6spd
Jeff- Thanks for the input and redirect to Mike, seems most roads lead to him! We are lucky to have him as one of our technical resources!

Mike- Thanks for the information and suggestions, I will have to take a look into this. What is the difference between the various lengths? I assume a long unit reduces idle more and likely WOT is a lower frequency? Also how does installed location come into play? I would plan for same spot as the stock unless there is a compelling reason to move them forward? Also to clarify I have no X or H pipe installed....

I need to figure put how to upload a video of the existing sound to the sticky to help others going this route!
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 07:11 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
This is rather subjective.... but......

Quote:
What is the difference between the various lengths? I assume a long unit reduces idle more and likely WOT is a lower frequency? Also how does installed location come into play? I would plan for same spot as the stock unless there is a compelling reason to move them forward? Also to clarify I have no X or H pipe installed....

I need to figure put how to upload a video of the existing sound to the sticky to help others going this route!
The different lengths will provide additional muffling at WOT. Idle is not changed nearly as much. Tone (frequency) is more a function of length and diameter....

Install as far aft as possible. Longer tailpipes create more raspy sound.

"X" pipe and "H" pipe is ONLY applicable when they are equal distance from each cylinder head. Since the SSR has a crossover to the passenger side before you can get one in, the "X" or "H" is absolutely useless for creating any scavenging or balancing.

Have a pair of the 6" x 18" mufflers installed as a first shot. I predict that it will give you EXACTLY what you want.

My 2 cents,

Mike

One of the "Blues Brothers"

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 04:19 PM
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
2003 Slingshot Yellow SSR
So why am I the first one to ask the question..... why is borla left out of all these exhaust tests? just curious.

I had some borla S type (stingers) on my Corvette back in the day and thought they were the best ever. Deep, throaty, loud, mean and perfect at cruise.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 08:31 AM

My SSR:
2006 Black 6spd
Mike-

Just got back from having a pair of 12646's installed and you were pretty spot on. It is a huge difference from the straight pipe with very little rasp from what I can tell so far on WOT, and does give me the pop and gurgle on a downshift which is what I was hoping to maintain. Hard to tell exactly how "loud" as I went from complete stock to cetmic coated long tube headers with high flow cats and straight pipes to this set up. But likely loud enough to keep the red and blue lights away as happens a couple weekends ago....

Everyone, Mike is a great wealth of information, as are numerous others on here. Don't be afraid to ask for their advice!!!
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:10 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2003 slingshot ,4 coil lower kit, removeable lugage rack
Has anyone done the straight pipe on the 5.3 ?
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 01:30 PM

My SSR:
2006 Black 6spd
My advice.... make sure you get every detail from the straight pipe crowd:

1. Any engine mods
2. Stock headers or long tube headers
3. Stock y pipe or true dual
4. Stock cats or high flow
5. Automatic or 6 speed
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:35 PM

My SSR:
Quote:
My advice.... make sure you get every detail from the straight pipe crowd:

1. Any engine mods
2. Stock headers or long tube headers
3. Stock y pipe or true dual
4. Stock cats or high flow
5. Automatic or 6 speed
1) No engine mods except a ported/polished throttle body from Jeremy Furmato, MAF screen delete and a K&N air filter, 4.56 gears, LS7 clutch, and a tune from Brian at PCMforLess
2) Stock headers
3) True duals with H pipe as close as possible to the engine (questionable if it has any benefit), no mufflers, stock tips
4) Stock cats
5) 6 speed

I just want to add again that going true duals vs. the straight y-pipe I had previously made a HUGE unbelievable difference in towing power and low-end grunt off the line. The stock cats keep the volume reasonable; with long tube headers or high flow cats I would imagine the sound would be deafening. But, those stock cats act amazingly as little mufflers. Since I was looking for more low end torque for trailer towing and have no use for high RPM horsepower, I stayed away from long tube headers which decrease low end torque.

The best sound, however, was the straight y-pipe. The straight true duals sound great, but they ARE more raspy and downright beastly (which I personally like)...and much more loud.

The straight y-pipe with stock cats and headers is one of the best sounding exhausts I've ever heard on ANY car at ANY price...and it cost $60 to do.

But again...the performance advantage of muffler-less true duals over the straight y-pipe is amazing...waaaaay more than I would have thought. Truck feels 500 pounds lighter off the line. And when you step on it...shock'n'awe all over again!!!

Jerry and Auggie Doggie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in