Anyone wear a hat cruising? - Chevy SSR Forum
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
had an 05 Aqua Blur, sniff, sniff
Anyone wear a hat cruising?

Specifically something with more sun protection than a baseball cap.
I've had 4 skin cancer occurrences, 3 requiring surgery and one of those required radiation too. Short of a full face helmet what do others wear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:54 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
Specifically something with more sun protection than a baseball cap.
I've had 4 skin cancer occurrences, 3 requiring surgery and one of those required radiation too. Short of a full face helmet what do others wear?
I have been known to wear a fishing (think Gilligan) type hat on occasion. Usually a ball cap is what I wear to keep the sun out of my eyes. But in all cases I have a short leash attached to the cap and clipped to my shirt so I do not lose it to a gust of wind or a passing truck.I have a ball cap with a neck cover that attaches with velcro, but I find that the flap waves in the wind and is annoying but does very little good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:10 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
I "wear" the top up !!! I (Jan & I) cruise early in the morning or a couple of hours before sundown. We never cruise during the day with top down plus we always have the top up, if we're exceeding 55 MPH ... too noisy and too windy, so highway cruising is always with the top up. Personally I think the SSR looks better with the top up ... just my opinion. Now say in November/December if we ride down to Lynchburg to the "still" we'll put the top down when we leave Jack Daniel's to ride up town and around the Court House Square. We'll park wherever we see Santa & Mrs. Clause and let them sit in the truck, so the visitors can take a few pictures of them in the Redline Red "sleigh"

Got skin cancer too and have operations scheduled for 9/26, 10/2, 10/9 & 10/16. Right now my arms look really bad. Wearing long sleeve white "T" shirts on top of a lot of cream that burns a while then itches a while. Doctor said "did you play outside a lot when you was young?' I said "Doc, that's all we had to do in the 40's & 50's, play ball and ride our bikes outside during the summer sunshine" At least I never was in to that balin' hay or cuttin' weeds outa' beans. tennesseecozydog
Big Jon, DSRUPTR and Jersey red like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:13 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
I purchased 2 SSR hats for the wife and I and we wear them along with sunscreen on the nose and face. Like you Big Jon, I have had a couple bouts with suspected skin cancer which involved removing 2 spots from my back. The dermatologist recommended applying 70 spf Neutrogena every 2 hours which so far appears to work well.

Dave
Big Jon likes this.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
When I picked up my Blur R in Fayetteville AK I met the sellers at the airport, visited a bit & got a quick rundown on top operation etc before heading out of town. I kept the top down until I reached the open road and I was already burned, doesn't take much to burn this Icelander. Always had trouble finding caps that fit so didn't bother and never used sunscreen until I bought the R. I now have hats, caps & sunscreen but I guess I'll need a bag of Bluestreak Gilligan style hats when I win Sig 14.

T-Dog: Good luck with your 4 surgeries. I know a couple with a Mustang vert that drops the top only for car shows and up it goes if the motors running.
tennesseecozydog likes this.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:59 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
THANKS Big Jon, good idea "Mustang Sally" Bob Alexander -
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 04:10 PM

My SSR:
05 6spd.
I like the "Aussie Chiller" hats. You can get them from Amazon and golf supply shops. Looks good and very comfy.
Big Jon and tennesseecozydog like this.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 04:20 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Had a daily driver 2004, Stock-as-a-rock, searching Florida for a replacement
Gilligan fishing hat for me! Even has a tie strap to keep it on. If I wear a ball cap it is one of my "cheapies" I'm not afraid to loose. On the highway sometimes if you get the right gust it darn near blows my cell phone out, so I started sticking it next to the park brake handle.
Big Jon likes this.

SSR's and mid-V8 Corvairs. >>
I guess I've never driven a "normal" car.!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaindian View Post
I like the "Aussie Chiller" hats. You can get them from Amazon and golf supply shops. Looks good and very comfy.
I like that too, are you able to wear it on the highway? My current safari style wants to leave if I have the windows down.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 05:02 PM

My SSR:
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SSRJIM
I've lost at least one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Big Jon likes this.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 05:16 PM
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS

My SSR:
FIRST 06 Pacific BLUE ~ First 3SS with VYJ "Chrome" ~ #145 of 532 ~ 21945 ~ Born on 9/9/05
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ssroe
I wear this hat quite a bit with the top down. It has a strap to hold it on my head if needed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Savannah 19.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	438657   Click image for larger version

Name:	62.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	438665  
Furykay, Big Jon and KiwiUSA like this.

Michael & Linda

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRJIM View Post
I've lost at least one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If I recall my clear wind suppreSSR and windows up made a pretty cap safe ride, not so sure about a full brim hat.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 05:30 PM
HobbyBob

My SSR:
2005 slingshot,pinstriped/flame detail,OBX Long Headers,Mike's front plate, core supp, fan BORN9/14
Did you ever think about a safari hat, also known as a "Pith helmet? And no I do not have a lisp!
DOOPHUS and Big Jon like this.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 06:07 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Phantom Black Metallic 05, 6.0 liter S.C. auto, Rear spoiler,Air Dam, Kooks headers,
Garage
Here's my 2 cents worth. I started being follicley challenged many years ago so hats have been part of my ego, scratch that, I meant my life. I like cowboy hats or the Aussie Fedora type hats, but the brim hits the hoop, or head rest and then push's it off or just plain gets in the way. I mostly use base ball caps and lately I have 2 orange and black Boonie hats to match the interior of my R. I to have had 2 rounds with skin Cancer on my nose and round three just 2 weeks ago came up clean with no Cancer so I don't have to see them for another 6 months.
Being a Teamster for the last 38 years and driving with my left arm either hanging, dangling, drooping, flopping, flailing, waving, or pointing, you would thing logically that my arm would have all kinda of cancer, but Oh no the arm only has a really nice tan. No no no it's on my Nose, the part of my face that stay's in the cab in the shade. It's the part of my face that is ahead of the rest of me every where I go. It precedes me in all things I do, and I got a Slicer & dicer hacking it up so my face can be bandaged to make me look like the Mummy. although a short Mummy. Who da thunk it. Jees Louise this is more then 2 cents worth. Sorry, never mind.
Johnny B and Big Jon like this.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 06:53 PM

My SSR:
05 6spd.
It stays on pretty good. I have another convertible and wear it there as well.
Big Jon likes this.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:16 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
I wear caps also not enough hair left lol
Big Jon likes this.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:24 PM

My SSR:
Black 05, 21,000 miles, automatic, most options, Had black wheels REMOVED now chrome.
As indicted here a wide variety of caps work to some degree or other to give you some protection. The suggestion of Sun Screen, if followed, will give you more protection than most any cap you wear that will stay on her head. My Skin Dr. says sunscreen is more important and effective than most anything else.
Big Jon likes this.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:30 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny pincher View Post
As indicted here a wide variety of caps work to some degree or other to give you some protection. The suggestion of Sun Screen, if followed, will give you more protection than most any cap you wear that will stay on her head. My Skin Dr. says sunscreen is more important and effective than most anything else.
I agree but my thinning hair does not agree with sunscreen so I need the hat on my head and sunscreen for arms, face, neck etc.
Big Jon likes this.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 10:33 PM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
Yup, several skin cancers here too. Have a factory wind suppressor which help a bunch regarding keeping hats on. Sun screen on the face, ears and neck and a hat on top. I always wear cheap hats (various styles but not too big of a brim) in case one goes by by. But I keep a baseball cap stashed under the drivers seat... just in case.
Big Jon and SilverMo04 like this.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 12:06 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot yellow
Like many others, I wear a ball cap when in top down mode. I have an old Harley leather cap. The leather gives you some weight to keep it on and the leather will conform to fit your head after a while. I rode Harley's for over 50 years so the the HD emblem is not a problem for me, but you could take it off and get a SSR patch or embroidered on it.
Big Jon and gaindian like this.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 10:11 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2003 "Ilsa" with many mods for strip and track.
Gilligan hat with strap for me too; partly to keep the sun off the (somewhat) thinning crown, and partly to keep the hair out of the eyes (shades help with this too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMo04 View Post
Gilligan fishing hat for me! Even has a tie strap to keep it on. If I wear a ball cap it is one of my "cheapies" I'm not afraid to loose. On the highway sometimes if you get the right gust it darn near blows my cell phone out, so I started sticking it next to the park brake handle.
Big Jon likes this.

My other vehicle is a
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 10:28 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 blur with chameleon ghost flames and Magna charger.
I wear a TILLEY hat. Made I Canada I believe. Guaranteed for life. They come with an adjustable strap that goes around the back of the head to help keep on snug and a chin strap. I've had mine for many years. I believe I purchased mine at Bass Pro Shops. I highly recommend it.
Big Jon and Chevy Nut like this.

LITEMUP
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 03:35 PM

My SSR:
05 Red, 6 speed
Tilley's are the best. I have the Airflo, insured against loss, guaranteed for life.
Big Jon likes this.
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 07:29 AM
Ralph and Ruth

My SSR:
'04 Smokin' Asphalt, #13443, tuned by Joe Delano
Garage
Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITEMUP View Post
I wear a TILLEY hat. Made I Canada I believe. Guaranteed for life. They come with an adjustable strap that goes around the back of the head to help keep on snug and a chin strap. I've had mine for many years. I believe I purchased mine at Bass Pro Shops. I highly recommend it.
After the first round of pre cancer removals 20+ years ago, my dermatologist recommended Neutrogena applications and a wide brimmed hat. Since that time I now have three Tilley Hats. I only use the chin strap in "top down" situations, but I love them. Plus, they are made by our Canadian friends!
Big Jon likes this.

post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 07:46 AM

My SSR:
05 Red, 6 speed
After reading these posts, I guess skin cancer is a real thing and I should go see a doctor to have a couple of spots checked out. This has encouraged me to stop ignoring a potential issue. Just wanted to say thanks guys. Cheers
Big Jon and Guzzi Guy like this.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 08:13 AM
Carolina Fanatic

My SSR:
2004 Silver
You betcha being a "Southern Belle' I do wear my big sun hat cruising and load up on the sunscreen
Big Jon likes this.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Nut View Post
After reading these posts, I guess skin cancer is a real thing and I should go see a doctor to have a couple of spots checked out. This has encouraged me to stop ignoring a potential issue. Just wanted to say thanks guys. Cheers
I'm a little surprised at how many Fanatics have been affected too.
Just this year I've about 35 pre-cancer spots frozen, MOHS surgery on my temple and now I just completed 20 radiation treatments on the same temple. In hindsight I wish I would of asked more questions before agreeing to the radiation.
Chevy Nut likes this.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 10:42 AM

My SSR:
'04 purple
Garage
I feel you pain, Big Jon, I've had several spots frozen too, and they keep coming back. Sorry about the radiation treatments. Its sun screen and a Sunday Afternoon, brand name, hat for me. I like the hats, they tighten around your head, mine have a long neck protector and they have a chin strap. They are not cheep, but do the job nicely, and some have build in sun protection. Buy mine on Ebay or they have a web site. The adventure hat is one of their best sellers.
Big Jon likes this.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 11:15 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2003 Yellow born 11-19-2003. We named the baby "Slick." Birth weight 2,747. License plate "SAHWEET".
Woodward Permagrin

Christine and I ALWAYS wear a hat whenever we're running top-down. Here's a picture someone took on Woodward Avenue during this years' Dream Cruise.https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/atta...1&d=1504026690
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Woodward#2.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	439089  
Big Jon likes this.

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream new dreams."
[I][/-C.S. LewisI]
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 03:23 PM

My SSR:
05 Red, 6 speed
Well I'm giving hats off to Big Jon (pun intended) for drawing attention to this. I'm an Health, Safety, & Environmental professional in the Oil & Gas industry and have young bucks all over TX & OK oilfields... guess what we're discussing in our next safety meeting?Also, my company has agreed to supply sun screen for our field guys. Wanted to give Big Jon recognition for making us aware of this issue. Cheers, Bob
Big Jon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in