A Black SSR for me - Page 3 - Chevy SSR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 742 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

You bet "PapaWalker" and "kwhopper 89" that I'll participate in the SSR runs/events this comming up season and I look forward to meeting you guys and hang'n out. I already have my little gas BBQ that I stole from my Buggy to "Q" us up some grub ready to go. "kwhopper 89" that was a '06 Aqua/auto on Chase's lot.

Speaking of a Aqua SSR last week I had a SlotCar race up in Petaluma. Yep that's right..... A SlotCar! The kind that you raced at a commercial Raceway back in the late 60's when you were a kid! They are still around to this day and like anything else, they have progressed with the times ......

The one thing that has NOT changed through out the years of SlotCars, is the RUSH you get when you build one and actually race your ride in COMPETITION. I'm sorry....... I got weeeee bit side tracked here, back to the Aqua SSR my buddy, "Johnny Lee" has owned since day one. Here's his '06 that he brought to the race.....

Yep...... That's "BLACKIE" in the background. Hmmmmm......Like I told "Johnny Lee"...... BLACKIE just looks so much better ......

Speaking of BLACKIE, I have a bunch of parts to hook-up today .....

A complete carpet kit from Spaldings, the lid has the storage compartment that I will stash my cargo net in when not in use. I shampoooed the complete kit and it's ready to go.

The hard saddle bags are in perfect condition (complete) They are covered with dust and will be cleaned before they are installed.

The wiring harness for the lid light that Mark told me that "might" be stashed above my left rear tire.... It was! A 05-06 console right side.

Last.... But not least...... NOS satin gauges that were sold to me at a fare price. Thanks Floyd!

I will take pictures as I go. "NFORSSR" that's some bad pictures there of your "rides," when I'm done with my rig can you make me a picture like you did for your rig.

Seeing's how the color Black seems to have a myth that it represents everything from bad, evil, fear and anything else you can think of? I started to think of a personalized plate for BLACKIE, of course keeping with the myth..... I came up with this.....

1RUDE R

I submitted my plate request to the DMV, paid the fees and BAM! It's mine! I have to go now and hook up some parts, time is a wasting.

As always,

BLACKIE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 742 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 01:37 PM

My SSR:
2005 black, every option
Quote:
Originally Posted by "BLACKIE" View Post
I will take pictures as I go. "NFORSSR" that's some bad pictures there of your "rides," when I'm done with my rig can you make me a picture like you did for your rig.
BLACKIE
Blackie....I cant help you out...but this guy can....Paul Eggerman...He did a chitload of those posters for me..One of each of my rides...Ya take the pics yourself (about 50 various shots) per the instructions on Pauls website...Send him the pics, He'll do the rest...He'll then e-mail you an image of the proposed final product for your approval...You can suggest changes, etc before it goes to final print...Sizes are available from 12x18 inch to a COLLOSAL 30x60 inch (priced accordingly)...

Here's a link to his website...some of the prints he did for me are there, along with a BUNCH more...

Corvette Photography
post #63 of 742 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 09:16 PM

My SSR:
2004 Custom Two Tone
Did I hear somebody say SlotCar Racing?
Dang... I remember those Friday & Saturday nights and Sunday afternoon at one of many tracks we had in So Calif back in the 60's.
See if I remember the names ...
Don's Raceway in Downey
Hot Slot Speedway in Bellflower
A guy by the name of Mike Reedy had a track in Westminster. (I think it was Wed night racing)
Sunday afternoon was spent racing at a track in Lynwood.
I got to race with guys like Reedy, Roger Curtis, Gene Husting, Terry Schmid, Mike Steube and a bunch more I'm sure the names will pop into my head while dreaming.
I also spent hours at the shop own by Pete Zimmerman watching him built his custom line of fast motors.)
Gee .... those were fun days for a young teenager.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 742 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 09:43 PM
it's 5 o'clock somewhere!
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Bought UV new 2005, Sold "PurLple" 2017. The fanatics filled our lives with love and laughter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhopper89 View Post
a bit south of Stocktoon...
that almost reminds me of a song title Keith, can you think of which one?

Dave - that's so cool about finding the wiring harness near the tire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SANDY
custom made SSR leather goodies; for your SSR and you!
post #65 of 742 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
Thanks NFORSSR !!!

When I'm done with my rig I will be hitting Paul up! Rod Run Rod, I raced with Terry Schmid and Pete Zimmerman a little over two months ago down at Buena Park Raceway (The ONLY commercial Raceway left in L.A.) Steube didn't make this race (4 hr.enduro) Schmid and Zimmerman are great guys that still can get around the track. I'm friends with abunch of the SoCal racers, Bryan Warmack, John "The Jet" Cukras, John "Tore" Anderson, Keith Tanaka, Lee Hines, and a host of other racers from back in the day that are still racing today.

Yes it was Sandy! Finding that harness above the left rear tire saved me about a $125.00, so I can blow them greenbacks else where on the rig. Mark was more then kind and gave me a full refund for the wiring harness that I got from him ..... Just incase there was no harness above the tire. I was in & out this week-end so I didn't get to really work on my rig like I had planed.

I did have a few hours yesturday in the latter part of the day, so I went after the gauges..... Besides my two boys were no where to be found to lift off the bed lid. The instructions for the gauges are ....... Well you that have read them know that they are worthless as are the pictures. To someone reading them and then taking a knife to the carpet could make one a little apprehensive too say the least. Here's how I did it and it was a breeze...... Almost.

I used a #11 X-Acto knife and your standard single edge razor blade to do the cutting work of the carpet/foam/padding. I started with a cut centered from the console up to the fire wall, I then made a cut on each side of the center cut in the front of the cosole to the front sides of the console (where the console tappers to the front, and where you will install the gauges) If you like you can set the gauge pod in there and get your bearings about what I'm talking about. I put some painters masking tape over the front of the console to stop any scratches, start cutting....

Start hogging it out....... Cutting through the padding and foam after you peeled back the carpet out of your way......

We now have a hole basically the same size of the gauge pod underneath the folded over carpet and making it a lot easier to finalize your trimming of the foam/padding......

Here's all of the foam/padding that has been removed......

When it was all said and done, I removed about a 1 1/2" of foam/padding past each side of the gauge pod's sides......

Now here's the part that screwed with me for a bit..... The "almost" part of the gig..... My wiring harness was NOT UNDER THE DRIVER'S SIDE, NOR WAS IT UNDER THE PASSENGER'S SIDE CARPET ..... It was tucked and rolled up underneath the THE VERY FRONT OF THE CONSOLE...... EERRRRR!!!!....... Build date: 01/31/2004 just incase some of you are wondering.......

Here it is in all of it's glory, I tugged on it until I got it to free it's self up from the tape, cut off the tape and got it ready to go......

I vacumed up all of the crap in the hole that I made, pulled the wire out of the way and folded the carpet back over, now look up under the dash and you will see two 10mm bolts at your center cut through the carpet that you made. REMOVE THE LEFT ONE place the bracket on top of the carpet I BROUGHT THE WIRE UP ON THE PASSENGERS SIDE OF THE BRACKET, THERE WAS NO OBSTRUCTIONS AND THE WIRE HAD PLENTY OF ROOM You will have no propblem getting the front of the bracket underneath the front of the console. The bracket should lay flat on the transmission tunnel ON TOP OF THE CARPET......

Get that left 10mm back inplace through the bracket hole and suck it back down to the bracket in front of the firewall......

At this time, I made a few trial installations of the gauge pod WITHOUT THE METAL PRESURE GIZZIEES ON THE TWO PLASTIC TABS ON THE UNDERNEATH SIDE OF THE GAUGE POD I found that the two metal tabs sticking up in the back of the bracket that stop the pod from moving around once it's inplace, were stopping the pod from sitting the way I wanted it to(flush with the sides on the console) so I grabed some needle nose and rolled the tabs back until they were a 1/4" taller.....

POST 1 OF 2

As always,

BLACKIE
post #66 of 742 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
Next,

Grab the little bracket and some toothpaste and put some toothpaste ON THE TOP OF THE BRACKET all around the slot that the stud will go through and then put the 10mm nut on so it's not tight nor is it loose ( So the bracket will move) set the bracket so it's all the way forward.....

WITH OUT THE LITTLE METAL PRESURE GIZZIEES STILL NOT ON THE TWO TABS OF THE GAUGE POD put the gauge pod on......

Next...... Push down on the gauge pod with a moderate amount of presure till it is where you want it to be in relationship with the console and at this time the pod should be resting up against the two metal tabs on the back of the first bracket that you installed......

Then pull it UP with the toothpaste there it will leave you a clear mark so you can tighten the 10mm nut down right where it has to be for the final installation of the gague pod. Put the METAL GIZZIEES BACK ON THE TWO TABS hook up the harness and install it for the final time, and there you have it. All done! The gauge pod fits nicely (No gaps) and is nice and tight and the carpet is up against the bottom of the pod as it shoud be......

And for some..... A most important feature the ash tray opens up for use......

As always,

BLACKIE

I almost forgot...... The gauges all work, Volts is reading between 14-15 trans. temp is almost at 200 and the GPH works when I hit the gas! They look way cool at night
post #67 of 742 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving with their families and loved one's

My son came by to eat and help cook, and help me remove the lid so I could get this carpit kit out of the living room and into the rig. So with the lid removed per the instructions in the owner's manual, and some basic hand tools this is how I installed the kit.

You will need a #25 Torx bit for the railing system in the bed and a #27 Torx bit for the "BOX" on the LEFT REAR SIDE of the truck. A 13mm wrench or socket, adjustable pliers, and a small flat screw driver......

With the lid removed, I saw no reason to lift up the lid seal to remove the hinge mounting bracket. I marked it's location with some tape for the go back. There is a foam seal that goes into the hole that the wire harness passes through, remove it and save it.....

I took the "NEW" harness and pushed the "OLD" harness into it, again I saw no reason to cut off the plug on the "OLD" harness.....

Then take some tape and tape them together so you can pull the "NEW" harness through the bed to the "BOX" at the rear of the truck's chassis.....

Next, grab your small screw driver and pry up on the small head on the plastic fastners that are at the rear of the sides of the liner......

There is a little slot underneath the small head of the fastner as well as the the big head of the fastner, this is where you will insert the screw driver, remove the two at the rear and the four at the bulkhead of the bedliner. Save TWO of them to be installed at each side of the rear of the bed when the carpit kit is installed.....

Next, I removed the railing system in the bed.....

On the side rails, there are flat washers installed on the backside as pictured, that are held on by some stamped flat...... Let's call them "KEEPERS." We need to remove them, so they can be installed on the carpet kit when it's time. Grab your adjustable pliers and hold on to them and remove the Torx screw......

Once you have removed all the railing system, go to the back of the liner where the 12 volt jack is for the air compressor. unscrew the plastic collar that holds the jack to the liner......

POST 1 OF 2
post #68 of 742 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
In this picture.......

We have the collar loosened up, the foam do-nut pushed back out of the way. The wire harness to the back of the jack is a "PUSH IN" type, NOT a "TWIST" type connection.....

Next, remove the plastic sil plate (it pops right up with little to no effort) Grab each side of the liner and pull it out. Here we are, ready to start installing the carpit kit. Nothing to hard to do to get to this point.....

Let's get the "NEW" harness in, here is the "BOX" that you have to loosen up in order to pull the harness through that comes out of a hole that you can't see. If you look between the back of the "BOX" and where it's mounted to the chassis, you will see the wire harness that goes up to the lid hanging down.

It has a clip on it and is clipped to chassis. In this picture I have already removed it from the chassis so one can see it where it goes more clearly. I have also opened up the "BOX" door where you feel for that lower #27 Torx screw in the corner of the the "BOX" that we will remove in a few.....

You can feed the taped connection between the "NEW" harness and the "OLD" harness through the hole in the side of the bed, then get back to the "BOX" and pull on the "OLD" harness. It will pull VERY EASILY, WITHOUT LOSING THE "BOX" YET. The harness will STOP when the "TAPED CONNECTION" hits the back of the "BOX."

Next, remove that Torx screw completely. I then took a pry bar and wedged it between the corner of the box and the chassis, and then pried it up JUST ENOUGH to pull the "TAPED CONNECTION" through. I saw no reason to loosen the other screws that hold the "BOX" to the chassis. The "BOX" pried up VERY EASILY, NO CRACKING NOISES, ETC. I pulled the "TAPED CONNECTION" till I had about 6 inches of the "NEW" harness wire sticking out of the hole.....

Put the Torx screw back in, close the door to the "BOX" plug in the "NEW" harness and that's it! I took a few wire ties and secured the wires back there to each other making for a nicer arangement then what left the factory. I started with the lid carpet first.

I bought 22 of them fuzzy plastic fastners from Mark at American Chevrolet to install the lid carpet and the carpet kit it self, and a new foam groument that the wire harness passes through on the left side of the bed......

With my lid carpet I only used 16 fuzzy fastners because of the storage compartment in the lid. To address the fastening of the steel hinge/comparment door to the lid, I bought some 1/4 X 20 "CLIP NUTS" some 1/4 X 20 X 3/4" button head screws and a couple of nylon washers.....

Here we have the "CLIP NUTS" installed, before installing them open up the two holes in the lid a little bit FIRST. It will make it a lot easier to start the button head bolts.......

Here we have the finished lid ready to go. I started at the comparment hinge FIRST, not tighting the button heads all the way so I could move the lid carpet around while installing the fuzzy plastic fastners.....

Once I had ALL of the 16 fuzzy fastners installed HALF WAY, I then tightened up the two button heads and then pushed the fuzzy fastners in all the way. Everything lined up great and is ready to install back on the rig. I have to go now and install the carpet kit.

As always..... BLACKIE
post #69 of 742 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 11:49 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Excellent installation guide. Should go into the library
post #70 of 742 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 03:19 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Stripe Pictures

Dave, I tried to send stripe pictures at your request but no success.

So, I will post them here for you.

Small stripe is 3/8" w
Hood at Nose is 8" w
Stripe starts 5 1/2" up from Chevy Emblem
Distance between strips (Center of hood) is 2 1/2"
Width at windshild is 20 1/2"

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09-0810 05.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	84499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 107.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	84500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 108.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	84501   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-0221 01.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	547.5 KB
ID:	84502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 034.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	578.9 KB
ID:	84503  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #71 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
Thank you for the kind words "MnMsToy" that would be up to the powers to be on what they want to do with this.

Thanks Dicktator! Your rig is sweet looking and them stripes are the best ones out there

Wow!!! It's been a while, I hope everyone's Holidays were enjoyable. I had the carpet kit installed the next day after my last post that pertained to the lid. I also have lowered "BLACKIE" a 1" in the front & a 11/2" in the rear, I used G-FORCE springs and had the rig completely realigned (front/ back) after the instillation of the springs. I like the way it looks..... Not to low..... And "BLACKIE" doesn't look like a 4X4 anymore.

As much as I have wanted to post, it's winter time here in Nor Cal and we have had a lot of storms here that have taken out the power lines all over my company's grid system and when this happens, I'm at work for weeks at a time. Onward....

Here I have the new groument installed and our "new" harness running through it. When I removed my "old" groument it was not in that bad of shape, BUT..... It's stickum was depleted, so you can glue it back on/replace the old stickum film with new stickum film or buy a new one. Note the painter's tape that I used to mark the hinge mount's location for the go back.....

Postion the harness as follows in the hinge mount......

.....and slam it home, if you look closely you can see the marks left by the "flanged" mounting nuts on the hinge mount when your rig was assembled. These marks will help you get your hinge mount right back where it needs to be as it came from the factory SO YOUR BED LID WILL CLOSE PROPERLY AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO RE-ADJUST IT.....

Tighten up the nuts, checking your alignment marks as you go.....

Next, grab your side tracks/rails. THE SHORT END GOES TOWARDS THE BACK OF THE TRUCK.....

I removed the 6" piece of rubber "U" channel on the the side of the tailgate jamb, this makes it a lot easier to install the carpet kit you can remove either side, it makes no difference. YEP..... It's held on with the same stickum film that the groument is held on with . The stickum was fine on this piece as apposed to the groument's and it will stick right back on. This stickum film is available for those who want to replace it.....

Next, grab all the track mounting bolts and them flat little washers/keepers and install the tracks/rails back onto the carpet kit *REMEMBER* to have the short ends of the tracks/rails towards the back of the rig......

Place the carpet in the bed and adjust it accordingly so you can install the side tracks/rails. *REMEMBER* to install the bolts just enough to hold the carpet kit up and some what inplace. I did the left side first. Then I went over to the right side to address our 12 volt power source. For some reason GM didn't use the foam groument as they did for the lid harness, it's a strip of foam wraped around the harness..... At least that's how my rig came from the factory......

(POST 1 OF 2)
post #72 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Great work Blackster, I guess I never realized you could buy the SSR in "kit" form??!!
post #73 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 05:10 PM

My SSR:
2004 Yellow
Great looking 04 SSR. I bought my 04 Slingshot Yellow about six months ago and I love it. Have fun and welcome from Georgia.
post #74 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
Thanks "SMITTY" for your kind words

I did not plan it this way. But "BLACKIE" seems to be following this way of adding the options that were not ordered when the rig was purchased new.

Thank you also CarterSSR for your kind words. Like yourself, I dig my rig also!

With the 12 volt harness sticking out at you, roll the plastic cover back with your thumbs as pictured, so the harness can be re-installed back to the 12 volt jack.....

Plug the harness back into the jack and fold the plastic cover back over the connection..... Don't forget to tighten the threaded collar......

Let's get over to the left side and pull the inside lid release through it's appropriate hole before we start to tighten up all of the track bolts .....

With the side track/rail bolts installed loosely, do the same with the bed tracks/rails also. I started at the bulkhead of the bed (behind the cab) and used two of them two piece fastners that we removed from the bedliner to temporarily hold the bulkhead piece of carpet to the bulkhead of the bed .....

Next, we will push,form, pull the carpet to fit the bed.....

After you have the sides adjusted (no sag ?) and are happy with the fit.Tighten up the side tracks/rails. Then pull the bed carpet so the rear sil plate will cover the end of the carpet (a third hand helps alot here, maybe even a fourth?) once you're happy with the fit. Tighten up the bed rails.

Make sure you re-install the two two piece fastners that go on the upper parts of each side of the tailgate jamb part of the carpet kit plastic and the "U" channel piece of molding that we removed earlier.....

With all this said and done, we are at this point.....

Install the four "fuzzy" plastic fastners in the bulkhead piece of carpet and plug in the wiring harness to the lid, and we are done......

No way..... The lid light even works!

As always..... BLACKIE
post #75 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
WOW, BLACKIE . . . lots of work but the results make it worth it.

What's next on your "under construction" agenda?

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #76 of 742 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
Yep DOOPHUS ..... There is a little bit of work envolved. BUT.... As you say it's worth it. Or, I like to say "Nothing ventured..... Nothing gained"

Well DOOPHUS to answer your question, I'm going to intall this stuff today and get the bed area finished. I never had a chance to correspond with the man, but from what I have read he was great guy and may he rest in peace.There will be a little bit of "Gyrmme" running around with BLACKIE as I bought his bed strips.....

I also picked up a couple spare strips that go into the bed rails, so I cut them up to finish the bed and fill in that little space in the rails when the saddle bags are installed.....

After I finish the bed, I have a new batch of parts to install.....

I'll be taking the "BOW TIE" off my tailgate and installing a rear emblem off of a C-4 VETT, it's made of a bendable type of plastic, it's nice and shinny, and it's the right colors to blend in and not stick out like the "BOW TIE" does......

Then, I have a set of beat up running boards that I will be "fixing up" and painting, then I will install the clear bra once it gets a little warmer. This should keep me busy for awhile

As always..... BLACKIE
post #77 of 742 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
OK.... All done.

I like the way it looks and I'm very happy with my parts that I got from Spaldings......

Now.... What to do next
post #78 of 742 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Proud Original Owner

My SSR:
'03 #01155 Painted stripes, Magnaflow, K&N air system, Ported Throttle Body, 4:30 Gears. Custom Tune
Garage
Quote:
OK.... All done.

I like the way it looks and I'm very happy with my parts that I got from Spaldings......

Now.... What to do next
Looking Great, Blackie!!
Nice work=Nice SSR!

RR--Ron & Frieda --- ------I'm on my second cup of coffee and still can't face the day - Gordon Lightfoot
post #79 of 742 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
Thank you Flying Dog

For your kind words! It's raining here today in NOR CAL and I have the day off. I got my plate the other day from the DMV ......

...... So, I'm going to bolt it on, and call it good for any work to be done on BLACKIE for the next few days. As much as I would love to go into the geerage and work on BLACKIE, I'm not. The best place to be when I was a little guy was at a Slotcar track when it was raining. My mom would leave there all day. Man-O-Man them were the days with a big race next week-end, I'm heading up to SACTO too get in a few laps and get my rides ready for next week.

I'm picking the Saints to upset the Colts

As always..... BLACKIE
post #80 of 742 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
Looks great, BLACKIE . . . license plate.

Now you need the Cargo Bar and Net to keep stuff from bouncing around the bed. I use mine all the time. I believe there's one for sale on here and it's even in California.

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #81 of 742 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
THANKS "DOOPHUS"

For your kind words also the one option that came with BLACKIE was a cargo bar and net..... Go figure? Any who..... I have it, and I use the net without the bar. Now that I have the hard bags installed, I just hook the net to the tailgate eyes and to the mounting eyes for the hard bags, and I'm good to go! I like the net, so I picked up a new "spare" on E-Pay for $40.00

Ya know "DOOPHUS"..... I was surprised to get that plate some 5 1/2 years later after BLACKIE rolled off the assembly line. After all, this is California where all of the smart SSR owners live. Right? Then again......What do I know?

I'M STILL PICKING THE SAINTS TO UPSET THE COLTS

As always.... BLACKIE
post #82 of 742 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
HOLD THE BUS......

Ya know I took the Bow Tie with a little heat and some fishin string I buffed the gate out with some 3M #1 and now I have to buff out the rest of the rig Any who..... I will do this when I'm DONE WORKING ON BLACKIE I stuck the C-4 wings up there and I liked it..... Kinda. When my oldest son and his girlfriend came by later that night just when I was getting ready to stick it on

They told me.... "Not cool .... Keep the Bow Tie on" Sooo.... I did like many before me have done..... I took it apart and painted it Black......

(Thats me in the picture...... To your right)

They were right It looks SWEEEEET!!! Now, I have to paint the front Bow Tie

As always...... BLACKIE

THE SAINTS WON..... BECAUSE THEY WANTED IT!
post #83 of 742 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
It's been a while..... But rest assured, I've been working on BLACKIE non stop

He's lowered now a 1" in the front and 1 1/2" in the back and looks just right I've spent the last month working on my beat up running boards that I uptained at a "very good deal" (Sandy, your's was a great deal, thank you!)After reading about them and how they came with this plastic film over them and getting to see a set first hand, I knew what I wanted to do to them. I'll post some pictures of them when I have them mounted. I can tell you a little about what I did do to them. I took that plastic covering off of them, then I sanded the seam that runs around the edge of them and then smoothed them out.

After primer/wet sanding, I shot them with Du Pont #140 HYDRO SILVER wet sanding them again. I then shot three coats of clear on them. They came out SWEET!!!! They match the satin silver on my rig perfectly. Once it get's hot around here, I will apply the 3M clear bra material on the edges of them. Yep..... You can buy it in a 6x36" roll or a 12x60 " roll and cut out what you want. I'll do all of this when I install the clear bra on my rig.

So what's next to do?..... I'll install these fans and lower radiator support from SIMPLE ENGINEERING.....

They are "1ST CLASS" parts.....Bar none! It dosen't get as hot as where Mike lives, but it dose get to the 100 + mark and then some in the summer time around here (Central Valley of Ca.) and from my readings here on the forum, I felt this was a MUST HAVE/IMPORTANT addition to BLACKIE. The fan(s) are built just like I would want them to be built. The instructions are well thought out and presented in a way that are easy to understand for the novice installer Very well done Mike!

OH!!!!.... For you out there that live in NORCAL.... I went by Chase Chevrolet today to pick up some spare parts (You bet I'm rat hole'n parts) they have a very nice '05 SILVER R for sale. Check right HERE

There's no gauges, no carpet kit in the bed, no hitch and no boards. But it is in very clean condition, and you get a spare tire!

As always..... BLACKIE
post #84 of 742 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 10:57 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Lonnie lights #43,confidence by simple Engineering
Send a message via Yahoo to abadssr
your doing great Blackie now we just need to meet up I'm just in san jose nar milpitas

post #85 of 742 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
With summer around the corner there "ABADSSR" I'm sure we will run into each other.

Are there any gatherings around here or in SAN JO? I know SAN JO very well, I lived there for about 26 years. All of my childhood, I went to James Lick H.S. I still have a lot of family/friends that live there. Last time I made the trip to visit was about two months ago. Thanks for the kind words! I will not stop until I'm done

As always.... BLACKIE
post #86 of 742 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
It's been a while.....

But I've been very busy working on BLACKIE. What screws me up everytime (time wise) is when I go on a "serch" for something, I read it to the end. Links included (more time) I gather the "PRO'S" & "CON'S" and make a disecion on the part/modification at hand. I'm reaping all of the benifits from all of the "FANATICS" that have been there and done it. You bet this would not have been possible without their feedback/posting on a topic that pertains to the SSR, I thank all of you.

The sad part about all of this reading and time spent on the 'putter is that.....

a) You donot get anything done

b) you go through a lot of note pads writting down part #'S/contacts,etc...

c) you spend $$$$

d) you accumulate parts

e) and I can go on.....But, I think you get the jest of it all.

I've been busy with the front spoiler of late (this will be the ONLY body modifiaction I make) and accumulating more parts. Seeings how I lowered BLACKIE, I figured I would finish off the suspension with new KW struts/shocks and the sway bars from "PISTOL" In the mean time, I will install these "X" members......

(from top to bottom, Mike's lower radiator support, A G.M. TBSS midship "X" member, and a 32 L.C. front "X" member)

I'm going to add a rear sump pick-up very soon. So I figured I should get the "32" member installed along with the other two, before I countinue on. I've taken a lot of pictures along with my findings. I'll post them once I get a little further into the "part Installation process"

BLACKIE
post #87 of 742 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:12 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Thumbs up

Quote:
It's been a while.....

But I've been very busy working on BLACKIE. What screws me up everytime (time wise) is when I go on a "serch" for something, I read it to the end. Links included (more time) I gather the "PRO'S" & "CON'S" and make a disecion on the part/modification at hand. I'm reaping all of the benifits from all of the "FANATICS" that have been there and done it. You bet this would not have been possible without their feedback/posting on a topic that pertains to the SSR, I thank all of you.

The sad part about all of this reading and time spent on the 'putter is that.....

a) You donot get anything done

b) you go through a lot of note pads writting down part #'S/contacts,etc...

c) you spend $$$$

d) you accumulate parts

e) and I can go on.....But, I think you get the jest of it all.

I've been busy with the front spoiler of late (this will be the ONLY body modifiaction I make) and accumulating more parts. Seeings how I lowered BLACKIE, I figured I would finish off the suspension with new KW struts/shocks and the sway bars from "PISTOL" In the mean time, I will install these "X" members......

(from top to bottom, Mike's lower radiator support, A G.M. TBSS midship "X" member, and a 32 L.C. front "X" member)

I'm going to add a rear sump pick-up very soon. So I figured I should get the "32" member installed along with the other two, before I countinue on. I've taken a lot of pictures along with my findings. I'll post them once I get a little further into the "part Installation process"

BLACKIE
Thank you for providing all of the instructions and pictures to the fanatics. I have already installed the TBSS midship crossmember support which made a good improvement in the so called shake. Then I installed Mike's lower radiator support and again it reduced more of the shake. Both items are well wroth the time and expense.
post #88 of 742 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
Thank you "MnMsToy" for your kind words

The way I see it "MnMstoy" is like this....When I first bought BLACKIE and found out about the "SSRFANATICS" I was in "Hog Heaven" (Don't take it wrong the wrong way DOOPHUS) : I saw the need for a few "How To's" on certain items that had numorous questions on how to installed them i.e. the gauge pod and the bed carpet kit. I read the posts that pertained to the fore mention items and understood it.

BUT..... No pictures! So I took what I read and made the installations on these items and gave a photo essay too make it easier for those who would feel more comfortable doing such installations with some pictures and insite on what to expect. I'm a firm believer in "One hand washes the other" I know that I asked my share of questions when I first logged on here and was answered by many to help me along my way.

Onward.... Today was a very busy day for BLACKIE. At last, some parts were going to be installed (I've been busy painting running boards and my front spoiler) after the transmisson parts were installed, that took about a hour and a half to install. I popped the bed lid open and had "that look" that Leal's tramissions has seen before in the last thirty years when I would bring in a busted TH-400.... "Can we do this now.... PLEASE?" It was on.... The "Left Coast "X" member came out, along with the lower radiator support from "Simple Engineering" along with the TBSS mid-ship "X" member and lastley, the Hotchkis sway bars that I got from "PISTOL"

Three hours later...... BLACKIE had it's wheels back on and the rack was lowered to ground and we were done. This time we went on a "cruz" up H.W.17. Now granted..... I did not do these changes one at a time too see if/what makes a difference. I just installed them all at once this is all from the information I have gathered from right here on the "SSRFANATICS" forum on what "works" We jumped on H.W. 280 (A swoopy high speed H.W. that runs through Santa Clara Valley) That is when you are not in grid lock.

When I got on 280 from the Meridain on ramp, the traffic was at "warp speed" and soon was BLACKIE. I could tell right then and there what difference... Then the "brake checks" happened with in a 1/2 mile and then back to "warp speed" and then back to "brake check" status until the 2 1/2 miles to the H.W.17 on ramp . So I drove like a spazz until I got to this high speed on ramp that takes you to Santa Cruz. To me the steering was not and is not "heavy feeling" at all. I like the way my truck now steers with these modifactions, it's a solid feeling. When I was driving like a spazzz.... Darting in and out of traffic too get no where. I was pointing the steering wheel to where I wanted to go to see if the modifications made a rat's azz.

There was NO BODY ROLL like I have had prior to these modifications or how many have posted here..... Cowl/windshied movement with the top down. It was gone, all this spazzz driving was done with the top down. Remember .... We just got done changing a bunch of the original chassis componets and I wanted to see if the modifacations made a hill of beans. All I can say is yes it did A totaly different truck to drive. The ride up the hill was typical for a Friday afternoon, stop and go all the way to the top. The tranny performed flawlessly with nice firm shifts when asked to do so. When we got to Summet Road, I turned around and went back down the hill (No traffic) At times..... I was way over the posted speed limit. The truck didn't "Dive" in the turns, it tracked right through them.

I was very impressed to say the least when comming into and leaving "Big Moody Curve" if it weren't for the traffic, I would have flipped a bitch and done it again. Granted, it's not a Corvette or a import but the modifcations improved the truck 's own handling abilities a bunch. No more body roll , no more ghosty feeling when steering. I'm very happy with the modifications. The only thing left to do is to install the stiffinig plate from "Simple Engineering"

Speaking of "Simple Engineering" I got some more parts from Mike. I have been very impressed with his products, very nice stuff. This time around I bought a stomproof cover (of course black in color) lid struts. I must say these are the bomb. My lid used to pop up about a foot when opened. When I installed the lid carpet, it would just unlatch and that was that. I installed these struts and my lid now pops right up like it used too. What sold me on these, is this..... There was a video posted by a memeber having the same propblem when he added the extra weight to the lid. He installed these struts and his lid popped up just like it used to.

The 5" tips are just plain sweet! I've seen the others and these are in a league all of their own. They are just that nice....

I'm off to Don's mufflers to get them installed. While I'm there the Flowmaster Delta 50 is going to be removed and a Flowmaster 44 will be installed. I have heard this muffler and I'm OK with it's noise level.

As always.... BLACKIE
post #89 of 742 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
I hope everyone had a nice 4th

I've got Mike's 5" tips installed along with a Flowmaster Super "44" muffler too boot. I must say, I'm pleased with the way my rig sounds now. The Delta "50" that I had Don's Mufflers install a few months ago just didn't have what I was looking for..... I can honestly say that the "50" sounded just like the stock muffler that it replaced. Onward..... I'm pleased with how "BLACKIE" looks now from the rear..... The "Simple Engineering" tips fill the void.... And sound "just right!" Before I took the "50" out, the tips were installed and and the rig had a nice deep tone/rumble.... But it was lacking that crackle/pop at idle and low RPM's. The "44" was then installed and it was a done deal! One must remmeber that I live in California.....Yep....I'm a Yankee! From what I have read and know, headers are a NO NO on my rig out here. It is what it is.

Well..... I wish I could say that the front end was a done deal..... But it's not.....

I was taking a clay bar to it the other day so I could install the "3M" clear bra, and it just didn't look cool to me. I didn't even waste my time with 2000 sandpaper or buffing. There was lower road rash at the fog light level, when I put the freshly painted front spoiler up against the front bumper . It was obvious that the front bumper was in need of paint if it were to look right once I installed the MPD front spolier and clear bra. It's also the perfect time to install both of Mike's fans.

I've been looking hi and low for wheels for my rig. I liked the HRE's but not at $1,600.00 a pop! I found a new wheel made buy Boyd's, it's called the "Bonneville" I like it as it has that retro look of a old school Halibrand.... I like the stock wheels and will be keeping them..... I think?

I kept to the stock sizes (19/20's) fronts are 19x8 with stock back spacing, out back I went with a 20x11 with a back spacing of 7 and 1/8". I also did not order the wheel polished as in the picture. I opted for the brushed/machinced centers and went with a polished rim. It will be a few more weeks till they hit my door, but they are on their way. I picked up this 2004 dealer product portfolio on ebay for $20.00 I took out all of the other trucks in it. I was going to put one of the service manuals in it and blew that off. So I just put it aside.....

...... That was until a few weeks ago when a package hit the door step. It was from "CAROLINA PISTOL" I have never met the man, but from our talks over the phone I can tell he is a great guy! I mean what else can you say when a fellow "Fanatic" sends you Jim "G's" E-Book copied on paper and tells you..... "Enjoy the book.... Dave" I had just the place for it!.....

..... As everyone has stated...... The E-Book is a MUST HAVE and I have to agree that it is. Thank you Pistol! I better get out there and install my fans.... It's going to hit the century mark today.

BLACKIE
post #90 of 742 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Meow

My SSR:
2006 FPR (last day) Pacific Blue #24092 "Jax" Sig #12
Wow! You've done allot of work. Your R looks awesome. I can't wait to see the wheels on it.

"Fuji's fan club president"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in