Chevy SSR Forum banner

Blinking Third Brake Light

3K views 32 replies 27 participants last post by  tickledpink 
#1 ·
Looking through the many items that Mike has to offer at Simple Engineering, and the 'blinking third brake light' caught my eye. Well not literally. Knowing that several of us have been involved in rear end collisions in the past several months, I thought this might be a really good investment for not a lot of money. Does anyone out there have any experience with this item? It still won't stop people from texting and driving, but it might get someone's attention that is just not paying close attention to the traffic in front of them. Your thoughts ???

#2 ·
Bob I agree the more attention you have in the back people can see and pay attention. Don't know if you ever followed me but I have two of them the top one in the spoiler flashes sequential all the time the one in the tailgate flashes and then stops and goes to the brake light mode. People that followed me have said it's annoying see that flashing light all the time. To me that's their problem.

#4 ·
I had flashing brake lights on my motorcycle and I thought they made a big difference on the bike, I could see people back off so I installed Mike's 3rd light Flasher on the R.. I don't see the same reaction but I know it's got the help get some attention.........

#6 · (Edited)
I love it on both my :blue:s and have been told it gets your attention. I find the constant flasshing to be annoying and a distraction in itself. Mine flashes the first time and then again if I have been off the brake for 15 seconds or more, otherwise it just comes on as a solid brake light, which I think is good in heavy Stop&Go traffic like we have here in SoCal. I also have the Muth Mirrors with the LEDs linked to the tail light circuit instead of the parking light circuit so they come on with the brakes as well as the turn signals. Like others have said, anything to get the attention of those who are distracted.

#8 ·
Sooner,I have it on mine too. When I caravaned down to Winnie, TX, followed Railroad guy and his blinked all the time when he was on the brakes. A very good attention getter. Mine just blinks then goes solid. Works for me.

#25 · (Edited)
I got mine in 2014 (3 each) 1 SSR plug and play, 2 universals for Monte Carlo and Silverado, from "WebElectricProducts.com. They have universal units BUT---for a few $ more they have a "Plug And Play" for the SSR. No wire cutting and splicing. Plug factory harness into it and plug it onto light connector. Blinks 3 times, not flicker, then solid red and won't blink again until brake is off 18 seconds.

Nick

#27 · (Edited)
In Southern Calfornia Drivers Ed I believe “how to finesse tailgating while eating, holding your cell phone and wandering outside your lane” is a mandatory course based on actual observations. An optional additional course that can be included is how to abruptly change lanes without signaling so that you can force the driver that you just cut in front of to panic brake.

Yes, the center stop light attachment that causes initial blinking and then goes to solid is something that definitely gives me peace of mine — every little bit helps.

Cheers.

#29 ·
I bought the flashing 3rd light many years ago "6 flashes then solid". I had it installed when I was rear ended in Daytona years ago.
Since then I found a unit that flashes continually while the brakes are on.
I am much happier with it, I installed one in my new Jeep as well.
I've sold a couple to members & they are happy with them as well.
I plan to bring a few to Maggie next month.
PM me if you are interested in more information.

#32 ·
It really works

Just installed the Simple Engineering frame stiffing plate on my 03, went on fairly easy except for front 2 bolts going into the brass support bar. It was a feat to get the holes and bolts in by myself. Took about 45 min. Not a lot of room for fingers and a bit of a job to balance and keep bar raised to get bolts in. Need one guy to hold bar in place while 2nd guy starts bolt. I had to get creative with screwdriver and a small box to align the first hole but then 2nd was a breeze. Anyway all in all it was $350 of fun and it really seems to work great. Reduced most all the road tremors.:black::grin2:

#33 ·
Blinking brake light .... love it

Just to add to the IMPORTANCE OF GETTING OTHER DRIVERS ATTENTION,I also STRONGLY URGE EVERY SSR DRIVER TO PUSH THE BUTTON TO TURN ON SSR FOG LIGHTS WHILE ON THE ROAD. THIS WILL TURN ON YOUR TAIL LIGHTS. They ARE NOT ON when your auto driving lights are on. Any way one can add to driving safety is a real PLUS. Seattle has the very worst drivers ... no one pays attention today. Think about this: when our floating bridge was closed for yearly maintenance over a weekend, commuters from Bellevue into Seattle took their coffee and newspaper with them early and waited in line on the bridge for it to open at 5:00 AM Monday morning. Of course they turned their engine off while they waited...... along comes a DRUNK DRIVER, doesn't notice the parked cars and runs full speed into the back of the line up, KILLING A WOMAN DRIVER WHOSE TAIL LIGHTS WERE NOT ON, NOR WAS SHE STEPPING ON THE BRAKE and injuring many others! True story, even BEFORE DRUGS WERE ALLOWED! Don't drive here today unless you have to..... very sad
SAVE YOURSELF AND YOUR LOVED ONES, Do everything you can to keep safe!

Sue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.