LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
Garage
Blinking Third Brake Light

Looking through the many items that Mike has to offer at Simple Engineering, and the 'blinking third brake light' caught my eye. Well not literally. Knowing that several of us have been involved in rear end collisions in the past several months, I thought this might be a really good investment for not a lot of money. Does anyone out there have any experience with this item? It still won't stop people from texting and driving, but it might get someone's attention that is just not paying close attention to the traffic in front of them. Your thoughts ???

Sooner SSR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:31 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSSR View Post
Looking through the many items that Mike has to offer at Simple Engineering, and the 'blinking third brake light' caught my eye. Well not literally. Knowing that several of us have been involved in rear end collisions in the past several months, I thought this might be a really good investment for not a lot of money. Does anyone out there have any experience with this item? It still won't stop people from texting and driving, but it might get someone's attention that is just not paying close attention to the traffic in front of them. Your thoughts ???
Bob I agree the more attention you have in the back people can see and pay attention. Don't know if you ever followed me but I have two of them the top one in the spoiler flashes sequential all the time the one in the tailgate flashes and then stops and goes to the brake light mode. People that followed me have said it's annoying see that flashing light all the time. To me that's their problem.
Purple Hawk likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:40 AM

I bought the flasher from Mike and put it on the R. Plan on putting on my pick up also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:43 AM

I had flashing brake lights on my motorcycle and I thought they made a big difference on the bike, I could see people back off so I installed Mike's 3rd light Flasher on the R.. I don't see the same reaction but I know it's got the help get some attention.........
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:45 AM
BLU SSR
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSSR View Post
After following my Red on the return from the mechanics shop, I can tell you it does get your attention. I never gave it much thought until I was the driver following it, but I would definitely recommend it!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:46 AM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
I love it on both my s and have been told it gets your attention. I find the constant flasshing to be annoying and a distraction in itself. Mine flashes the first time and then again if I have been off the brake for 15 seconds or more, otherwise it just comes on as a solid brake light, which I think is good in heavy Stop&Go traffic like we have here in SoCal. I also have the Muth Mirrors with the LEDs linked to the tail light circuit instead of the parking light circuit so they come on with the brakes as well as the turn signals. Like others have said, anything to get the attention of those who are distracted.
Marc NY and Purple Hawk like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:52 AM
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWT RYD View Post
Bob I agree the more attention you have in the back people can see and pay attention. Don't know if you ever followed me but I have two of them the top one in the spoiler flashes sequential all the time the one in the tailgate flashes and then stops and goes to the brake light mode. People that followed me have said it's annoying see that flashing light all the time. To me that's their problem.
Robert, The multiple flashing lights didn't bother me when following you, BUT the back end wollowing back and forth while flashing might be too much!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:04 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 yellow
Sooner,I have it on mine too. When I caravaned down to Winnie, TX, followed Railroad guy and his blinked all the time when he was on the brakes. A very good attention getter. Mine just blinks then goes solid. Works for me.
Purple Hawk likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.”
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:11 AM
Genuinely SSR Obsessed

My SSR:
2006 Black FPR #24031 BOD=3/14/2006 The Black Knight
Thumbs up

Yes, without a doubt flashing lights definitely get my attention. Too many people are driving distracted these days.

~~~~Blinking Third Brake Light-images-4.jpeg~~~~
(Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!)

================
David
Blinking Third Brake Light-2018-09-19-19-26-49-237748565.png - Thx to Mike (Dragon2U) for making a sequential left-to-right tailgate brakelight for me.
Purple Hawk likes this.

=========================================

Livin' the Dream; Thanks Chevrolet
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:13 AM
Ms Donna's Driver
Supporting Member

Location: beside the tracks of the "Wabash Cannonball" along the banks of the "Wabash River" Indiana

My SSR:
'04 Ricochet Silver and then along came. SINISTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSReplay View Post
Robert, The multiple flashing lights didn't bother me when following you, BUT the back end wollowing back and forth while flashing might be too much!
Thank you big brother for bringing this to my attention. I usually bring up the rear when traveling with other fanatics.
Note to myself:
Do NOT follow Robert to Utah. The flashing, the squirming, and the reflection from all the bling will cause you to take more physical therapy

Do they even have therapy to cover those items ??
SSReplay likes this.

EVERY MILE IS MAGIC

I used to be indecisive
But now I'm just not sure
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:14 AM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
Every little bit helps, Sooner . . .

The Doophus has had a Flashing Center Brake Light for more than ten years and no complaints so far . . . just positives.

Another one of those "Can't Hurt" safety features.

! ! ! ! ! !

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:21 AM
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDonna View Post
Thank you big brother for bringing this to my attention. I usually bring up the rear when traveling with other fanatics.
Note to myself:
Do NOT follow Robert to Utah. The flashing, the squirming, and the reflection from all the bling will cause you to take more physical therapy

Well...Sun glasses even on cloudy days might take care of the reflection from all the bling, BUT the rest may require therapy of another kind!
SWT RYD likes this.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:38 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Born on 12/23/04, adopted 07/06/16, From KY to CA. Once a farm truck, Now a SoCal cruiser.
Garage
I have the blinking third brake light and wouldn't leave home without it. As others have said getting a little extra attention can be a good thing.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:38 AM
RG

My SSR:
2005 SSR, Pearl White and Aqua Blur
I find that other drivers do not tailgate me as much with the Blinking Third Light.
Other vehicles stop further behind at Red Lights.
A definite safety addition from Simple-Engineering.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:28 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 SSR 3SS 6-Sp Redline Red FPR/Phil Cochran Tune/P&P TB & IT/K&N/Dragon2U Bling/Mike's Stuff.
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Mr. Bill
Don't leave home without it! HA! Had it waiting when my SSR was delivered! Easy to install....NO hits so far!!

LCC Patch Order Info:
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:04 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
They really work! Gal putting on make-up even notices.

Have them in Stock:

Blinking Brake Light LED $25.00 includes mailing.

PayPal: [email protected]

Need your Name/Address.

Dicktator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-0309 02.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	546229   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-0309 07.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	546231   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-0309 08.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	546233  

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:38 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'05 4spd, #19282, Addco Sways, WindSuppressr, 4.56 club and more Mike parts than I can count
First "mod" I did to mine over 12 years ago....way worth it and simple enough even an Okie can do it.

BOOMER!

Doug

I'm not too quick......but my truck is
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
Garage
Blinking Brake Light

PM sent to you regarding payment.

Sooner SSR
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:59 PM
Spirited driver!

My SSR:
06 Slingshot Yellow #22949 Adopted 07/24/2017 @ 11,100 miles
Constantly blinking while braking is illegal in California and other places. Get one that flashes a few times then goes back to solid.

If it don't turn you on when you turn it on, drive something else!

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:02 PM
Perfectionist
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 REDLINE, lowered frnt an rear, tucked an lowered boards by me, chrome package, chrom wheels
Boy, I might have to do mine I guess. Hey Robert, It figures you have two flashing brakes! not one like everybody else. Do your brake lights flash to whatever song you have on the radio?
90 Fatboy likes this.

You come in, in diapers. And you go out in diapers.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:00 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Red Line Red #20303 TAG: SMKNSSR 6 Speed, Born 1/27/2005
Simply the cheapest insurance you could invest in. I have a Redline Red and it makes a difference.
90 Fatboy Cecil Elliott
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:11 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFATGUY View Post
Boy, I might have to do mine I guess. Hey Robert, It figures you have two flashing brakes! not one like everybody else. Do your brake lights flash to whatever song you have on the radio?
Yes, Barry Manalo music. And I'm going to play it loud from Quincy to Ogden.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:15 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDonna View Post
Note to myself:

By the way Mic, how is your Physical Therapy going. Don't mean to high jack the thread.
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:49 PM
Ms Donna's Driver
Supporting Member

Location: beside the tracks of the "Wabash Cannonball" along the banks of the "Wabash River" Indiana

My SSR:
'04 Ricochet Silver and then along came. SINISTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWT RYD View Post
Yes, Barry Manalo music. And I'm going to play it loud from Quincy to Ogden.
And guess who will be putt’n on the lipstick !

P T was good today. Gave me 5 exercises to do at home

EVERY MILE IS MAGIC

I used to be indecisive
But now I'm just not sure
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:00 PM

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
I got mine in 2014 (3 each) 1 SSR plug and play, 2 universals for Monte Carlo and Silverado, from "WebElectricProducts.com. They have universal units BUT---for a few $ more they have a "Plug And Play" for the SSR. No wire cutting and splicing. Plug factory harness into it and plug it onto light connector. Blinks 3 times, not flicker, then solid red and won't blink again until brake is off 18 seconds.

Nick

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:04 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Smokin Asphalt
Garage
Send a message via AIM to TheXCepsion
I have a blinker on my third light, it flashes then blinks and then goes solid brake mode. Very easy install, takes maybe 20 minutes and it definitely will get peoples attention. Get one and put it on, You won't be sorry.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:21 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Marilyn -- 2005 Slingshot Yellow, Automatic. Born on 9-22-04
Garage
In Southern Calfornia Drivers Ed I believe “how to finesse tailgating while eating, holding your cell phone and wandering outside your lane” is a mandatory course based on actual observations. An optional additional course that can be included is how to abruptly change lanes without signaling so that you can force the driver that you just cut in front of to panic brake.

Yes, the center stop light attachment that causes initial blinking and then goes to solid is something that definitely gives me peace of mine — every little bit helps.

Cheers.

To Minimize Unpleasant Surprises = Trust, But Verify -- Or, In Civilian Speak = Inspect What You Expect!
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:38 PM
MY05SSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 6spd. Agua Blur
Garage
I put mine on right after rally at Warner Robins, easy install and I haven't been hit! So it must help
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:10 PM
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS

My SSR:
FIRST 06 Pacific BLUE 3SS with VYJ "Chrome" #145 of 532 Born on 9/9/05
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ssroe
Cool

I bought the flashing 3rd light many years ago "6 flashes then solid". I had it installed when I was rear ended in Daytona years ago.
Since then I found a unit that flashes continually while the brakes are on.
I am much happier with it, I installed one in my new Jeep as well.
I've sold a couple to members & they are happy with them as well.
I plan to bring a few to Maggie next month.
PM me if you are interested in more information.

Michael & Linda

One of the Blues Brothers
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:51 AM

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot / Slightly modified
Garage
One of the 5 Smith Keys for safe driving, “Make Sure They See You”.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in