LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Wednesday May 8

Hello from the land of BIGBOY!
Today was get up early day--Bigboy was leaving Evanston at 8AM so we had to be at our selected viewing site about 8 miles down track by at least 7:30 to be sure to get a spot. Made it on time and got a front row parking spot and waited in RED till about 8:10 when we got out in the rain and low 40's to wait for the train. Definitely brought back memories. Heard BIGBOY probably heard the whistle 5 min. before we saw the first smoke/steam. WHAT A SIGHT!! Only thing different than I remember from my childhood was the clickety-clack of the tracks, that sound is gone(welded rails have made trains so much more quiet). I will attach a few of many pictures we took today.
After train chasing we checked in to the motel and spent the rest of the day with fanatic family. This is always the best part of our get to gathers, which we topped off with a trip to the local ice cream shop. Now it's time for bed, tomorrow we explore Ogden and close up viewing of the Engines!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4014 action.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	547247   Click image for larger version

Name:	844.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	547249   Click image for larger version

Name:	4014.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	547251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Boy.jpg
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	547253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pair in action.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	547255  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:04 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Great pictures and what a story. Thanks for sharing. Life is Good.
post #123 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Thursday May 9

Hi Everyone,
Today was the reenactment with BigBoy and 844 in Ogden. The ceremony started with 844 waiting in place and thru the radio BigBoy was called to make his entrance. To cheers from the crowd BigBoy blew his whistle and eased into position to take his place for the ceremony. The President of U.P. the Gov. of Utah and the local Congressman were in attendance and each gave remarks. The highlight was when the U.P. President announced that they were going to grant the last wishes of a old train engineer who wanted to see BigBoy and the reenactment. It was not to be since the engineer succumbed to cancer last year. His last wish was that his ashes be consumed in the firebox of BigBoy! Today his family presented his ashes to the U.P. President and as he held the ashes up for the crowd to see he announced they would grant the old engineer's wish!
Beautiful day for a show & shine at he local Chevy Dealer and shuttle bus ride to the U.P. Museum and downtown(Thanks Rope for setting this up and being our shuttle driver for FREE!). Afterwards 26 SSR's and lots of happy but tired owners for the run to Peach City for a cruise in with locals and MORE ICE CREAM!
Long day and ready for some shut eye.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ogden reenactment engine 844.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	547487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ogden reenactment engine 4014.jpg
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	547489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ogden reenactment both engines.jpg
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	547491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ogden us and train wheel.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	547493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Make Trains Great Again.jpg
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	547495  

Flying Dog, nj6969 and Jersey red like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:14 PM
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 red, custom wheels, custom flame paint, flowmaster exhaust
Garage
You're a pretty good story teller there Jim! It's pretty much like being there!

Jarod and Lori
post #125 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:18 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
26 trucks? I'm surprised, I thought only about a dozen were going.
Rope did a hell of a job putting this together.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #126 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
You're a pretty good story teller there Jim! It's pretty much like being there!
Thanks Jarod, High Praise from a fair to midland teller himself! It's a pretty good story to tell.
post #127 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
26 trucks? I'm surprised, I thought only about a dozen were going.
Rope did a hell of a job putting this together.
Bruce you are right, Rope did go above and beyond arranging a great time for us all. At our count that day 26 trucks went but, we also had RiverRat and 06 Blue SSR who flew in and had other transportation and we meet a local couple CJ and Milton Vierow who are original owners of a 04 UV and joined us at the Chevy Dealer! We hope they become members--they like SSR's and Ice Cream-- Great Couple!
SWT RYD likes this.
post #128 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Friday May 10

Hi everyone,
Here's a short rundown of a busy day, we left the hotel at 9:30am after a slight delay getting the airbrakes to release. After about 30 min. and several miles we entered the interstate in front of our hotel! Yeah that's right, our driver took us in abig circle right back to where we started! We would still be going the wrong way if one of the passengers had not turned him around. After fighting thru a traffic backup of several miles we made it to the Site of the driving of the Golden Spike. The reenactment was quite a sight - if you could see it! LOTS OF PEOPLE and no bleachers or other ways to get a decent line of site. I managed to get center stage and fairly close so still sorting thru the pic's I took--probably would be better if I were not vertically challenged!
Left the celebration, back to hotel and jumped in the R's for a run to Salt Lake City for a local car show. Both Sinister and Ellwood took awards--big CONGRATULATIONS to both! Made a quick run to the local food truck hub for something to eat(I almost got left cause I was in the Outlaw Distillery making a purchase!). After filling our tummies it was on the road for the drive back to the hotel. Time for bed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Prom both engines.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	547549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prom whistle toot.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	547551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prom Irish Emb.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	547553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prom Flag.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	547555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prom Jupiter.jpg
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	547557  

nj6969 and Jersey red like this.
post #129 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Pics
post #130 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Suturday May 11

Hi Everyone,
Last day in Ogden was a busy one. formed up at the hotel at 10:30am and took the short drive to Hill Aerospace Museum and had a wonderful tour with two VERY qualified guides. I would recommend this museum to any veteran with an interest in aircraft, a word of caution, your wife may not enjoy it as much as you. Went back to the hotel at 2 and immediately formed up for a cruise thru the back roads to Evanston (absolutely beautiful drive) and Bon Rico's for our farewell dinner. Good food and my prime rib should have been labeled Roast! IT WAS HUGE! We said our good-bye's and made plans to meet again at various rally's--SSR people are the best!
Rope, ya' done good my friend! THANKS

Time for some shut eye, tomorrow starts the long run to Maggie Valley and the three amigos become two. SwtRyd - Robert & Doris- are leaving us to go north for a little vacation of their own thru Yellowstone and the Black Hills and maybe a visit to Auggie .

Note: check the previous posts for added pictures, it takes a day to get them transferred to this notebook. I have no Idea why some have started to rotate, I've been doing everything the same.

Pic 1-R's at Hill Aerospace Museum Pic 2-On the Road Echo Canyon Pic 3-Trainer plane (NOTE THAT THE TRAINER PLANE IS SLINGSHOT YELLOW AND PAC. BLUE , OFFICIAL COLORS OF TRAINEES!!) Pic 4- SR-71 flight suit Pic 5- on the way to Evanston
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rs at Hill Aerospace Museum.jpg
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	547593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rs on Echo Canyon Rd.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	547595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellow is Trainer Pilot.jpg
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	547597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackbird Flight Suit.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	547599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canyon Drive.jpg
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	547601  

nj6969, CruDawg and Jersey red like this.
post #131 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Save for more Pics

Someone please help turn some of the pics in the last few posts!
post #132 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:15 AM
Proud Original Owner

My SSR:
'03 #01155 Painted stripes, Magnaflow, K&N air system, Ported Throttle Body, 4:30 Gears. Custom Tune
Garage
Turned
Attached Images

SSReplay likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RR--Ron & Frieda --- ------I'm on my second cup of coffee and still can't face the day - Gordon Lightfoot
post #133 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
These should open up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	replay4.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	547643   Click image for larger version

Name:	replay3.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	547645   Click image for larger version

Name:	replay2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	547647   Click image for larger version

Name:	replay1.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	547649  
Jersey red and SSReplay like this.

post #134 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Sunday MAY 12

Travelin' Day--East Bound and Down with a LONG WAY to go, and till Wed. to get there !
Left Evanston with Mic & Donna about 8 this morning and decided to run till we were tired since we have good weather. Also with an 80MPH speed limit we should cover some ground!
Contacted forum member Dave Rasmussen in NE. and we are going to try to make it to his town tonight to meet.
Rolled in Dave's town at about 9PM and talked till too late in the morning, will make it a short night and have breakfast with Dave & Julie before we hit the road tomorrow.
Jersey red likes this.
post #135 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Monday MAY 13

Good evening all,
We left Dave & Julie's around 10 this morning and Dave took us to see his SSR at the mechanic's shop -"THE R" had some work being done. Good lookin' Black 6 speed!!! Lot's of mods and upgrades, loved the satin to black color changes in the cab, the shift plate, seat hoops, door pulls and dash trim look like they should have came from the factory that way. We made sure the electric cut-outs worked and Mic and Dave gave the engine bay a close inspection, really liked the aluminum overflow tank painted black. Check it out in the pic's coming soon!
Made pretty good time today except for the traffic around Kansas City, made it to Kingdom City, MO. about 7:30 and need to catch up on some sleep! Gotta get close to Maggie Valley tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Daves.jpg
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	547751   Click image for larger version

Name:	DAVES 2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	547753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daves 3.jpg
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	547755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daves 4.jpg
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	547757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daves 5.jpg
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	547759  

nj6969 likes this.
post #136 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:46 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSReplay View Post
Good evening all,
We left Dave & Julie's around 10 this morning and Dave took us to see his SSR at the mechanic's shop -"THE R" had some work being done. Good lookin' Black 6 speed!!! Lot's of mods and upgrades, loved the satin to black color changes in the cab, the shift plate, seat hoops, door pulls and dash trim look like they should have came from the factory that way. We made sure the electric cut-outs worked and Mic and Dave gave the engine bay a close inspection, really liked the aluminum overflow tank painted black. Check it out in the pic's coming soon!
Made pretty good time today except for the traffic around Kansas City, made it to Kingdom City, MO. about 7:30 and need to catch up on some sleep! Gotta get close to Maggie Valley tomorrow. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/images/smilies/seeya.gif[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/images/smilies/SSRrx5.gif[/IMG]
Wish I could of been there to meet with Dave. Hope to see him at Branson. You guys and gals stay safe. Mic offered to stop and check on the cat.
post #137 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Tuesday May 14

Hello fellow travelers,
Today was another big travel day on our way to the Rally in the Valley. Left Kingdom City Mo. about 10:15am to avoid going thru St. Louis during morning rush hour! Our plan worked great, sailed thru without a hitch and made it across Illinois without a gas stop--saved a couple bucks in gas tax! All went well till about half way thru our trek into Kentucky. We were moving right along in the fast lane when a 2 x 2 x 3 box that was riding in the back of the pickup in front of me decided to take a stroll down the highway! The box had been riding very still, until without warning it jumped up and over the tailgate and onto the road right in front of me. With traffic on one side and a narrow shoulder on the other, there was no other option but to slow down and hope to miss it or at least not hit it very hard. I hit the air as hard as possible without wearing SINISTER and a couple cars behind him as a tailgate badge! The box slid down the center of the lane and we collided at about 30 and it disappeared to the right without much noise and only spilling one aerosol can that I saw. Must have been starting fluid cause that is all I could smell till I pulled over. I think SINISTER bumped it after me but it still looked pretty much intact the last I saw of it. The good news is that aside from my minor heart attack neither SINISTER or I could find any damage, can't be sure till I hand wash it, but I think between the Bra and the thick layer of bugs on the front, they may have protected it. Made it to Lexington Kentucky without further drama so it's bedtime to rest up for the last few hours to Maggie!!
Jersey red likes this.
post #138 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Quote:
Hello fellow travelers,
Today was another big travel day on our way to the Rally in the Valley. Left Kingdom City Mo. about 10:15am to avoid going thru St. Louis during morning rush hour! Our plan worked great, sailed thru without a hitch and made it across Illinois without a gas stop--saved a couple bucks in gas tax! All went well till about half way thru our trek into Kentucky. We were moving right along in the fast lane when a 2 x 2 x 3 box that was riding in the back of the pickup in front of me decided to take a stroll down the highway! The box had been riding very still, until without warning it jumped up and over the tailgate and onto the road right in front of me. With traffic on one side and a narrow shoulder on the other, there was no other option but to slow down and hope to miss it or at least not hit it very hard. I hit the air as hard as possible without wearing SINISTER and a couple cars behind him as a tailgate badge! The box slid down the center of the lane and we collided at about 30 and it disappeared to the right without much noise and only spilling one aerosol can that I saw. Must have been starting fluid cause that is all I could smell till I pulled over. I think SINISTER bumped it after me but it still looked pretty much intact the last I saw of it. The good news is that aside from my minor heart attack neither SINISTER or I could find any damage, can't be sure till I hand wash it, but I think between the Bra and the thick layer of bugs on the front, they may have protected it. Made it to Lexington Kentucky without further drama so it's bedtime to rest up for the last few hours to Maggie!! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/images/smilies/seeya.gif[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/images/smilies/SSRrx5.gif[/IMG]
Did you check your britches.sounds like me and the Antelope in Wyoming. Auggie said they aren't the smartest animals.
post #139 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
It's a shame the guy that lost that box didn't stop so you could thank him for making your day more exiting.
I'm enjoying your travelogue a great deal, but hope the rest of your journey is less exciting than this day, and safe.
Jersey red likes this.

post #140 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Hello my traveling fanatic friends,
We left Lexington , Kentucky this morning a little after 10am and hit the road for the "quick" trip to Maggie Valley and a relaxing few days with Family. The trip today was a lot less hurried than the previous few days since we had a short way to go and all day to get there! Arrived safe and sound and found a group already here to greet us. We are going to get some rest and MAYBE get up for breakfast at 8!!!! IN ANY CASE THE FUN STARTS TOMORROW! Ya' all come and join us. A few pics below from today's journey: Pic 1-- Mic gives a thumbs up to Robert for paying his state taxes building this nice welcome center for us! Pic 2-- Vending bldg. at welcome center (keep those contributions coming Robert) Pic 3-- Interesting sites along the way Pic 4-- Proof we finally made it to N.C. Pic 5-- A few early arrivals at the inn
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Maggie arrive.jpg
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	547865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maggie arrive 4.jpg
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	547867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maggie arrive 2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	547869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maggie arrive 3.jpg
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	547871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maggie arrive 5.jpg
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	547873  

ROPE, nj6969 and Jersey red like this.
post #141 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:44 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
Quote:
Hello Everyone!

After consulting The Great and Powerful GARMIN -- The actual mileage was 4681.2
THE CLOSEST TO THE ACTUAL MILEAGE WITHOUT GOING OVER , using the only true method for calculating , "THE CHEVROLET METHOD", is
AutoProf with a guess of 3959
I will be proud to buy his dinner at Maggie Valley if we don't see each other before.
Thanks to everyone for following our journey and playing along!!
Thanks for dinner Jim.
Although just being able to enjoy the time with you and Lois was enough of an award.
The meal was good too.

Just for anybody that has not had the opportunity to meet Jim, he is a man of his word.
And for those of you that have met Jim, I'm sorry.

We are all winners to have a guy like this as part of our family.
Thanks again Jim
BlueStreak and SSReplay like this.
post #142 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Thursday May 16

Meet & Greet at Maggie
Hi everyone, SORRY FOR THE LATE POST but the web connection at the hotel has been down since Thursday morning, this is Sunday as we are getting ready to leave-we will catch up tonight at a new hotel.

The rest of the SSR Family started rolling in early today and it's filling the parking lot here and other hotels quickly. Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting lots of new ones! No sightseeing today, just watching the parade of great looking SSR's. Below are a few pictures of the Meet & Greet at Gina's and M.V. Inn.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Maggie Meet n Greet.jpg
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	548253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maggie Meet n Greet 2.jpg
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	548255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maggie Meet n Greet 3.jpg
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	548257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maggie Meet n Greet 4.jpg
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	548259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maggie Meet n Greet 5.jpg
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	548261  

nj6969 likes this.
post #143 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Friday May 17

This years M.V. Rally is a little more relaxed for us, doing less activities and more just chillin' at the hotel and hanging out with everybody.
Today's scheduled activity was the cruise to Lake Lure and lunch at La Strada restaurant. The first part of the cruise was a bit frustrating because of the stop and go freeway traffic, but the two lane portion to the lake was great with the exception of one local truck owner who needed some drivers training. Maybe the most difficult part of this cruise was getting all the SSR's into the restaurant parking lot, lots of R's and we are all picky about parking our toys! We had a very good meal(too much to for most)and the cobbler was delish.
I would like to thank Phil - 06 Blue SSR - for putting this all together and leading us to La Strada (and hustling back from Ogden to do it) as usual a great job by someone who doesn't get the credit he deserves!! THANKS Phil

Pictures below: 1-forming up at Ghost Town 2 -Chimney Rock at a distance 3- closer view of Chimney Rock 4- part of the group at lunch 5 - Tim getting sage advice with his meal?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LaStrada.jpg
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	548315   Click image for larger version

Name:	LaStrada 5.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	548317   Click image for larger version

Name:	LaStrada 4.jpg
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	548319   Click image for larger version

Name:	LaStrada 2.jpg
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	548321   Click image for larger version

Name:	LaStrada 3.jpg
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	548323  

nj6969 likes this.
post #144 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Friday MAY 17 Continued

After lunch we were all free to find our own way home to the Valley, so we decided to go to Chimney Rock for a closer look. Larry(Huaw) and Howard(Bad Black) were going and thought the hike to the top sounded like fun, I thought a view from below sounded less like a heart attack! We drove the mile or so to the ticket bldg. and after paying a $15 each entry fee(this included a $2 ea. military discount) we headed up to the rock. This is a State Park that was originally privately owned from it's inception in 1947 till the early 2000's when the State bought it. Quite a feat for a local family to complete considering they first had to bore a 200+ foot tunnel thru solid rock to get o the spot to install a 200+ foot ELEVATOR to within a short distance of the top of the rock. The discovery of an elevator changed our minds about going up to the top, 44 steps up to the top sounded much more reasonable than over 500!
Pictures below:
1-Red views the rock from the parking lot, she decided not to go 2-Getting closer to the tunnel 3-View from the top of the elevator 4-View from the top next to the flag, looking towards the Lake and the restaurant(Doris we were thinking of you at the rail looking down) 5-View back at Red in the parking lot, had to use a little zoom!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chimney Rock.jpg
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	548325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chimney Rock 2.jpg
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	548327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chimney Rock 4.jpg
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	548329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chimney Rock 5.jpg
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	548331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chimney Rock  3.jpg
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	548333  

nj6969 likes this.
post #145 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Saturday may 18

Today is an informal show n' shine the swap meet and the banquet. The parking lot at the M.V.Inn & conference center was FULL of SSR's all looking good with endless examples of how to spend your money on upgrades. The swap meet was fun as always and we managed to hold our spending in check but did find a couple things we had to have. One thing was a door handle repair kit, my thinking is if I have it on hand I probably won't ever need it!
After the swap meet everyone went to the rooms to get ready for the banquet at 5:30. As usual the meal was good with the best fried chicken anywhere-verified by food expert Pete(SSRfather) and the absolute best dinner companions! We had a great raffle with a lot of fanatics poking fun at each other and welcoming a large group of newbies, the newest had only had their SSR for three days. Welcome to you all, glad you found us, THE FUN HAS JUST BEGUN! The after banquet shenanigans were a blast, everyone had some good natured shots taken at each other no one was exempt and it was all in fun! I am blaming the newbies for starting it!
There were some great prizes in the raffle and I want to thank all who donated prizes especially Mike in AZ since I was lucky enough to win his heater hose set, hope I don't need it before I get it on!
GREAT TIME, GREAT RALLY - MISSING EVERY ONE ALREADY
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Swap Meet 3.jpg
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	548337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Swap Meet 2.jpg
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	548339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Swap Meet 4.jpg
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	548341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Swap Meet 5.jpg
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	548343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Swap Meet.jpg
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	548345  

nj6969 likes this.
post #146 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Saturday may 18 - banquet

After Banquet Pics:
1-4 a few shots of stuffed attendees making their way to the canopy gathering
5 A group photo of the O-HI-O family (Wish we had taken a shot of all the Newbies for a class of 19 photo - maybe in Branson!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	M V Banquet.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	548437   Click image for larger version

Name:	M V Banquet 2.jpg
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	548439   Click image for larger version

Name:	M V Banquet 3.jpg
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	548441   Click image for larger version

Name:	M V Banquet 4.jpg
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	548443   Click image for larger version

Name:	M V Banquet 5.jpg
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	548445  

yellow bear likes this.
post #147 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Sunday may 19

Leaving Maggie and on the road toward home. Finally got packed and headed for our annual departure breakfast at The Buttered Biscuit(no pics maybe Bat can post one). Said good bye to the Indiana and Ohio travelers and especially sad to say so long to my little brother Mic. We both had a blast criss-crossing the country with you and Donna, it's gonna look strange not seeing Sinister in the mirror! We'll see you soon, maybe Woodward?
Took the road thru the Blue ridge Parkway and Pigeon Forge on the way to Knoxville. Made a few stops on the way including a flea market for some local flavor. Made it an early stop so we can rest up from the rally and I can catch up on these posts since the hotel web connection didn't work for most of Maggie.
Pics of the road to Knoxville:
1-Red at the Visitors center Blue Ridge Parkway 2- 4 Pigeon Forge 5-Aubrey's in Knoxville (this is a 4ft. x 8ft. chalk drawing that hung in the restaurant we stopped at, there are 8 different drawings of this size hanging as dividers, done by a local artist and erased regularly and new ones redone - picture doesn't do it justice)
Time for bed-see you all down the road!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rood to Knoxville.jpg
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	548347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Road to Knoxville 2.jpg
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	548349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Road to Knoxville 3.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	548351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Road to Knoxville 4.jpg
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	548353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Road to Knoxville 5.jpg
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	548355  

nj6969 likes this.
post #148 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Monday May 20

Hello to all you weary travelers,
Not much to report on today's route, we left Knoxville at the crack of noon and made our way to north of Nashville and stopped in the town of Springfield, TN. Took a lot of two lane roads and enjoyed the Tennessee landscape. We stopped at a few antique shops and did find a couple small(got to be small cause there is not much room left in Red) treasures for ourselves and friends. The only excitement was while we were stopped at a Waffle House, a vet of the 101st Airborne on a Harley Trike got hung up on the curb between the gas station and Waffle House parking lot. It looked like you could just drive from one to the other, but the ramp for the semi scale made a 8-10 inch drop off between the two lots that was very hard to see from that direction. We had almost made the same mistake, so when the waitress said it looked like somebody was stuck we knew what had happened. No one hurt except the tail pipe on the Harley and with the help of the waitress a another customer we managed to lift it off the curb and get a fellow vet on the road again.
We plan to make our way to St Louis tomorrow for a Cardinal game with a stop at Patti's 1880's Settlement, then head for home. That's the plan, but we will see what tomorrow brings! Till tomorrow night-See You On The Road.
nj6969, RedlineRyder and PokerGuy like this.
post #149 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Hi Folks,
Sorry for a delay in posting, been kinda busy catching up and dodging storms.
Left Springfield around 10 this morning and leisurely made our way towards home. The plan is to check out a few attractions along the way and make it to St Louis by tonight's Cardinal game. Stopped at a couple antique stores, found a few small must haves for friends back home, then decided to make it to Kentucky to check out Patti's 1880's Settlement which we had seen the signs for several times on previous trips. We had asked about this place at the hotel we stayed at in Paducah and everyone said "great food at the restaurant, neat town and the best Christmas Light show in the country".
Well it wasn't Christmas but a good meal sounded fine so we followed the signs off the interstate for about 3 miles to the turn into the "town". The road was lined with American flags and a nice parking area but we decided to drive thru to get a feel of the area and see where we wanted to start our walk around. We had heard they had a fire in the kitchen in Feb. of 2018, but figured they would have it fixed long ago. Slight miscalculation! The fire had pretty much destroyed the restaurant and the rebuild was only 70 percent done - it was much bigger than we imagined! In the month of Dec. of 2017 they served over 50,000 meals! So we decided to look around the grounds anyway, and were pleasantly surprised by the feel of the place and the obviously family influence of the whole endeavor. They didn't open the shops and attractions until Memorial day so we had solitary access to explore the grounds. As we got to the back side of the restaurant construction area, I was watching the workers and taking a few pictures when I noticed an older man sitting under a tree. We struck up a conversation, and it soon became evident he was the son of the founding couple and current owner. After a 30 minute talk , we left with lots of info and an invitation to come back when they reopened. The last thing Chip said was to be sure to try one of the pork chops, so as we were leaving we stopped by the food truck and ordered one to go. It was 1in. thick, big, tender and without a doubt the best chop I have ever had! We will definitely go back when they reopen.
Back on the road to the Cardinal game and decided to check our email and guess what, email from the Cardinals, due to severe weather forecasted for this evening-they were rescheduling the game for Wed. as a part of a day/nite double header. One look at the radar and we decided to head for home by the northern route to miss the worst of the storms. Good decision as we made it almost home before we even hit any rain. Got Red home and inside. dried her off and unloaded.
So this is a temporary pause in our travels, rest up, oil change, and a couple upgrades and we should be on the road again around the middle of June for our biggest trip of the year to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary! Going west and plan to make this year's Penticton then on tour to see many old friends out west.
Till then - stay safe and we will see you all down the road!

Pics 1-3 Patti's Settlement grounds
Pic 4 part of the new construction
pic 5 Jim & Lois with owner Chip Tullar
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Patti's 1880.jpg
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	548581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Patti's 1880 2.jpg
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	548583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Patti's 1880 5.jpg
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	548585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Patti's 1880 3.jpg
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	548587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Patti's 1880 4.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	548589  

Flying Dog and nj6969 like this.
post #150 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:18 PM
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 red, custom wheels, custom flame paint, flowmaster exhaust
Garage
Mmmm.... Patti's! You need to try one of their merangue pies... They're about a foot tall! They even have special boxes for carry-out. Unbelievable Christmas display as well. Glad you made it home safely. Get rested up for your big Western swing!
SSReplay likes this.

Jarod and Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in