Cheap Sound Reduction - Chevy SSR Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
High Plains Roadster
Supporting Member

My SSR:
A fabulous 2005 ricochet silver model with an automatic purchased in September 2017.
Garage
Cheap Sound Reduction

Yesterday, I applied Dicktator's "two-sponge" wind noise reduction mod to my ricochet silver SSR and then drove it around town on some errands.

Though I don't think the SSR was really that noisy in the first place, it made it even quieter. It was relatively easy to do and very inexpensive.

If you haven't done it yet.... you should.
Jersey red likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:44 AM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
VIN No. 24061
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJA View Post
Yesterday, I applied Dicktator's "two-sponge" wind noise reduction mod to my ricochet silver SSR and then drove it around town on some errands.

Though I don't think the SSR was really that noisy in the first place, it made it even quieter. It was relatively easy to do and very inexpensive.

If you haven't done it yet.... you should.
I'm not familiar with it. Can you provide more info about it?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 11:05 AM
Daily Driver
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Roof Vent Soundproofing.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 01:33 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
VIN No. 24061
Wow, there's a wealth of information there. Thank you much.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:09 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
You need to be sure that the thickness of the sponge is not excessive. That set of flappers needs to be able to swing open and the air needs to be able to exit out of the cab. This is your flow-through fresh air vent system.......

Mike
TXNSSR and tennesseecozydog like this.

One of the "Blues Brothers"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:55 PM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
In looking at the pics of the install, I was wondering, why not remove the flaps and replace with sound deadening, breathable sponge. Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing??
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 04:25 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzr View Post
In looking at the pics of the install, I was wondering, why not remove the flaps and replace with sound deadening, breathable sponge. Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing??

I recently did the (sponge deal) as per the suggested method. I think I can recognize some reduction is the noise levels as a result.

BUT, that does NOTHING (much) to reduce what noise does get into the top (well) due to the openings needed and/or required to operate the top (up/down). I was one that was surprised to find that vast "gap" above and beyond the waterfall piece.

The 52" specially cut foam dealie...........that has been discussed before (to me), is likely the best answer to further reducing the interior noise....(also some added sound deadening material in the top well.

I'm ready to take the file to the printers to get a template made...........but I'm on hold as (cant remember his name).........but the originator of this whole foam template idea said he was gonna modify the current design and give us an updated version.

I'm still waiting and hoping to see that soon.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 04:44 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
BlueBelle
That would be Carlbush.

I used his current pattern and you will really love the quiet!

Just remember to take it out prior to putting the top down!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 05:21 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiles Sport Roadster View Post
That would be Carlbush.

I used his current pattern and you will really love the quiet!

Just remember to take it out prior to putting the top down!
Yeah, I hear ya as to the (remember to) comment........While waiting to make one of these foam deals to pad that gap, I took a long towel and stuffed it into the crack.

Of course, I forgot all about it and pushed the button a few days later to drop the top. A few blocks away, I looked in the rear view mirror to see part of that towel flapping in the breeze cause part of it got caught in the top down sequence...........Thankfully, no harm no foul......but towel or getting this foam deal, I will create some (reminder) to myself as to removing it prior to hitting that switch.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:43 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Silver/Gray
Garage
A few of us in the Orlando area have a modified version sound suppersor. We made a few extras and I have sold them at Maggie Valley,Huntsville,Jax and Dennison. We plan on making a few to have available in Daytona. Ask Crudawg,Mr. Bill, SSRoe just to name a few that have purchased from us.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:06 PM

My SSR:
2004 SMOKIN' ASPHALT
Garage
I have one of them. Great improvement on sound reduction.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:14 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by soren703 View Post
A few of us in the Orlando area have a modified version sound suppersor. We made a few extras and I have sold them at Maggie Valley,Huntsville,Jax and Dennison. We plan on making a few to have available in Daytona. Ask Crudawg,Mr. Bill, SSRoe just to name a few that have purchased from us.
Inquiring minds want to know...

What is the modification?
Cost?
And do you ship?

(It is on my list of todoís, Iíve researched some material and all. Iím also wondering if I can make one that says fixed below, just below the colored surfaces that pushes out of the way... but, then Iím told I overthink things).
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:52 PM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
I followed that thread last summer. I downloaded the blueprints and used my vinyl cutter to make an exact template. Then I cut and assembled the sound suppressor.

My take away:

While the concept is valid, cutting and assembly requires skillful hands. It's not easy to get a good fit (mine never did). It almost more of an art form than a science as it requires lots of attention to detail and very careful trimming.

If you have a wind suppressor on your "R", installation and removal of the sound suppressor is a real b**ch. The space between the wind suppressor and the back window limits needed access for this process.

I ended up bagging it and just accepting the fact cabin noise is part of the SSR experience.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:02 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Silver/Gray
Garage
Wizzr is absolutely correct. They are not easy to make. I have the wind suppressor and it is difficult to put into place. However, I would not take a road trip without it.
TXNSSR-The modification is a two layer process that makes it fit into the holes better. We do not ship but I am sure someone that is close to you will be in Daytona and could bring it back to you. The previous selling price was way too low according to the few that purchased them but it was based on just getting our materials cost back. So we may adjust our price up to pay for our time but still will be around $40 or less.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 05:52 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Wizzr is absolutely correct. They are not easy to make. I have the wind suppressor and it is difficult to put into place. However, I would not take a road trip without it.
TXNSSR-The modification is a two layer process that makes it fit into the holes better. We do not ship but I am sure someone that is close to you will be in Daytona and could bring it back to you. The previous selling price was way too low according to the few that purchased them but it was based on just getting our materials cost back. So we may adjust our price up to pay for our time but still will be around $40 or less.

I'm planning to attend the Daytona event, be sure to have whomever is bringing some to add another for me as at $40 or less, I will buy one too.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 06:56 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow, 2005 Smokin Asphalt
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post

I'm planning to attend the Daytona event, be sure to have whomever is bringing some to add another for me as at $40 or less, I will buy one too.
me too! Driving down from Saint Joseph, Mo and would like it quiet on the way home

2004 SSR, slingshot yellow, automatic, 113K miles, 2005 smoking asphalt, automatic, 16k miles, lots of SE parts incl tire kit, heat shield, rear frame stiffener,
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 07:08 AM

My SSR:
soren703, if the sound suppressor is well made, fits and seals properly, $40 is a give away price for all that's involved in making these. Anybody who's interested should jump all over this deal.
soren703 likes this.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:45 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Silver over Black 6 speed, EX-X-R no gauge pod, no bed carpet
My last two SSR's were a late 2005 and a 2006 and neither one had appreciable wind or road noise in the Cab. My two tone 2006 truck however, has a lot of wind/road noise coming from the waterfall/rear window area. Would this truck be a candidate for the wind suppressor you are speaking of? Can it be left in place with the top down? Thanks!

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:58 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
I read this whole section of postings and feel really blessed. We have age related slight hearing loss and have ridden Harley's for almost 60 years so our SSR feels and sounds very quiet to us. The other thing is most days we take her out are top down days so we can still enjoy being in the wind and with the custom exhaust we have it is music to our ears. We are grinning from ear to ear. Like I say we are blessed.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 09:06 AM

My SSR:
Greg, there are two different items here. The wind suppressor is the screen or Plexiglas devise that bolts behind the seats to deflect wind when the top is down. The sound suppressor is a foam piece that fits over the opening behind a the seats to be used to reduce sound levels when the top is up.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 05:57 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Silver/Gray
Garage
We made 10 of our sound suppressors for the Daytona Rally and sold out. We have contracted to have them professionally done out of a sound deadening foam material. So sound suppressor 2.0 should be ready in a couple of weeks. Cost will be the same $40 and we will be able to ship so $40 plus shipping. We will also have available at Maggie Valley. I will get picture or pictures attached shortly. My email address is [email protected] if you would like to place an order.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 06:51 AM

My SSR:
05 Silver
So, I think I got confused somewhere. Iím all for spending $40 for a little sound deadening, just trying to figure out if it has to come out when top is put down. Iím sure itís just a me issue that I got confused, Iím not very handy! Clarification would be greatly appreciated!
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 06:55 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Silver/Gray
Garage
Yes it must be removed before the top goes down. It's more than sound deadening it also helps keep the A/C or heat in the cab instead of going down into the open cavity.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 06:57 AM

My SSR:
05 Silver
Quote:
Yes it must be removed before the top goes down. It's more than sound deadening it also helps keep the A/C or heat in the cab instead of going down into the open cavity.
Ok, cool! Thanks for the info!!
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 07:38 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
I am sending an e-mail to order.

Thanks

Dave
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 08:01 AM
Original SSR Centerfold

My SSR:
04 Redline red #11672 born on 6-22-04 adopted 10-14-04 Pinstriping handpainted by "Shakey"
Real simple method I have been using for a while.
Take a pool noodle and wrap it in a towel. It fits perfectly into the space behind the seats and makes the cabin a whole lot quieter.
Now thatís the poor mans fix.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 08:37 AM

My SSR:
2004 SMOKIN' ASPHALT
Garage
Foam sound suppressor photos that are being sold at the rally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D3622F52-6E29-4983-B1E5-71B2B6032A4E_1523803040610.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	503946   Click image for larger version

Name:	A61073A0-4CB1-43D0-BDD0-C72DBFAA6FDA_1523803051471.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	503954  
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 08:55 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Silver/Gray
Garage
The pictures that Alan "hotroddodd" posted are our current sound suppressor the new one will be a little thicker. The pictures show the top and bottom of the sound suppressor.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 10:49 AM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Any suggestions for storage when the top is down?

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:50 AM

My SSR:
2004 SMOKIN' ASPHALT
Garage
As for storing it while the top is down , one of the guys in our group took a short Velcro strap and mounted it on top on the motor cover in the top storage compartment and let’s the suppressor drape over each side. Keeps it off the floor of the storage compartment and out of the way.
I just throw mine in the bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in