post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
Garage
Clear Protective Vinyl

Good AM:

I am contemplating looking into the clear protective vinyl that they put on the fronts of cars to minimize rock chips. Has anyone out there done this, or explored this idea? They also can apply this to the side view mirrors and the door handle areas. If anyone has experience with this, I would appreciate your comments.

Thank you,

John

Sooner SSR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 06:14 AM
BAD BOW TIE
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
In the past the stuff yellowed and never looked as good as the regular paint. It also had a gooey sticky edge that collected dirt and dust so you could see the edge. Also it scratches and gets nicks just like paint. For me give me good waxed paint and if it gets chipped I'll do touch up with DR Color Chip Kit or have that area repainted. My 2 cents and we know what that is worth???
Redracr likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:11 AM

My SSR:
06 silver
I had it done this summer. Love it! Front end mirrors and the rock guards. Ten year guaranteed not to yellow. At my age might last longer than me !

YOU CANNOT DO A KINDNESS TOO SOON,BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW HOW SOON IT WILL BE TOO LATE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:15 AM
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
2003 Slingshot Yellow SSR
The protection is good, it's not bullet proof though and it does self heal from small swirls, not deep cuts.

The old stuff would yellow but all the new films are great, they don't yellow and most have a 5-10 year warranty against yellowing so you're covered.

The new films look just like the paint, you can't tell the difference.

I think it's worth the investment to protect the paint for a long time.

It does not have a "gooey sticky" edge as mentioned, sorry but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree about that. All my panels are tucked and wrapped under so there's no real edges exposed, even if there was a line it's not gooey or sticky. That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Josh
Furykay, ABLUR05 and Knightranger like this.

Do what's right not what's easy....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:57 AM
Genuinely SSR Obsessed

My SSR:
2006 Black FPR #24031 BOD=3/14/2006 The Black Knight
John, good subject.

In addition to the comments above you will find many more if you employ the great "SEARCH" feature that this Forum offers. Just check it out at the top center of the page. Again, you're going to see many more comments as this subject has come up more than once.

Good luck, buddy.

==============
David

=========================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Livin' the Dream; Thanks Chevrolet
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:28 AM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
Most every new car dealer installs protective vinyl on new cars for the simple reason that it works and provides additional protection. As Josh says, some of the stuff decades ago had some issues, but today's products are great. Find a good film dealer/installer and go for it! I've had it on a number of vehicles and never had issues. I do not have it on my SSR simply because after 50K miles, the nose of the truck already has numerous fine chips. It's to the point that I look at them as battle scars! HA! If I ever repaint the truck, I'll definitely install the clear vinyl.
wizzr.
ABLUR05 likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
Garage
Thanks David. I never thought to do the search. It sounds like this may be a good option for optimum protection.

Sooner SSR
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 06:05 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 slingshot, #119539, adopted 4/11/14, boards, chrome wheels, bed trim, gages
Garage
Just had a lengthy discussion with my detailer about this. He stated pretty much the same as everyone on this site said, basically, great stuff. We also discussed the merits of the new ceramic coatings. You first ensure your paint is touched up, all scratches and imperfections buffed out, apply the ceramic and vinyl coatings. He stressed the importance of making sure the paint was properly prepped, ie. imperfections and scratches fixed as the ceramic creates a high gloss finish and any imperfections will be visible. Total cost for scratch removal, paint touch-up, vinyl and ceramic for my R is about $2400. My paint is in very good shape with very minimal scratches and chips. More in--depth prepping would be more $$$$$. My detailer has done this process for several high-end vehicles as well as his own toys, cycle helmit and anything else that will stand still long enough for him to apply it, and he swears by it. I know, pretty pricey, but then you hope to get what you pay for.

FWIW.
Texasbaehr likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:14 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
Josh just did mine and Iím going to wash the bugs off of it tomorrow for first time. I really think going to worth the investment.

Josh did a super job on my SSR the hood done in one piece along the front under the spear deck lid roof mirrors and rock guards I want a few more things done next year
Texasbaehr likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 10:36 AM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
Just did some front end work on my cars with Suntek paint protection film, looks great and should last a long time. Suntek is known for having a slightly better clarity than other manufacturers and is self healing when scratched, just like most of the other brands.

After doing a lot of research, there is little difference in the brands, the overall agreement is that the most important decision is the installer.
Joshvette likes this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 03:00 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Black 6 speed
I had Xpel installed on mine two years no problem looks like new.
gaindian likes this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 11:30 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Marilyn -- 2005 Slingshot Yellow, Automatic. Born on 9-22-04
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshvette View Post
The protection is good, it's not bullet proof though and it does self heal from small swirls, not deep cuts.

The old stuff would yellow but all the new films are great, they don't yellow and most have a 5-10 year warranty against yellowing so you're covered.

The new films look just like the paint, you can't tell the difference.

I think it's worth the investment to protect the paint for a long time.

It does not have a "gooey sticky" edge as mentioned, sorry but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree about that. All my panels are tucked and wrapped under so there's no real edges exposed, even if there was a line it's not gooey or sticky. That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Josh
Josh, what brand of clear vinyl do you have on your R?
Thanks, Gib
sprooney likes this.

To Minimize Unpleasant Surprises = Trust, But Verify -- Or, In Civilian Speak = Inspect What You Expect!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 05:55 PM
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
2003 Slingshot Yellow SSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCADesertRat View Post
Josh, what brand of clear vinyl do you have on your R?
Thanks, Gib
Suntek. I really like it, you can not tell the difference between the paint and the film, I even put it on the headlights and it's perfectly clear.
sprooney and SoCADesertRat like this.

Do what's right not what's easy....
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 06:14 PM

My SSR:
05 6spd.
I also belong to the Shelby GT500 forum and a number of members there experience satisfaction with XPEL.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 10:05 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red SSR, Tazzy
Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshvette View Post
Suntek. I really like it, you can not tell the difference between the paint and the film, I even put it on the headlights and it's perfectly clear.
Itís important to do the headlights. Aside from the protection from road debris the headlights will not yellow which is a real problem. I have had my film on my SSR for seven years now, no yellowing of the film and the headlights are clear. The film protects the plastic of the headlights. Stops the harmful rays from degrading the plastic.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 06:30 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
I washed my truck today first time since the install and those bugs was no problem at all great product Iím very pleased will be glad when I can get more installed on other panels very pleased thanks josh
Joshvette likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in