Chevy SSR Forum banner

Devastated

10K views 112 replies 38 participants last post by  ChknMnky 
#1 ·
I received a call yesterday about the truck. Because of the outrageous price that a vendor wants to charge for my bumper cover (5995) they’re going to total the SSR. I’m hoping it’s a joke and their pulling my leg because I’m pretty devastated about losing my baby. I hope that vendor is on here, sees this then gives me his address so I can beat the tar out of him. What a horrible thing to do by gouging replacement parts.

#38 ·
Five years ago I was at a car meet with about 110 vintage Chevrolets In Wenatchee Washington. On the Saturday morning we were all going on a tour. I was Inline with other cars waiting to get out of the hotel parking lot. A guy driving a 76 corvette pulled out of his parking stall and rolled thirty feet and put a dent In my drivers door. He had state farm Insurance. Because my SSR had flames In about seven different colors and part of the flames went part way across my doors. I took the R to different high end body shops who did high dollar paint and custom body work. Every shop said, There Is no way to match the different color flames and make It look right. I got bids and mind you the door could of been fixed, But because of the flames, No one would touch It. I sent to state farm a bid for $22,500 five hundred dollars. Which was for completely stripping the paint down to bare metal and doing a high end repaint and graphics Which the R had. State farm said we have never heard of anything like this for a dent across the door, We will have the R appraised. They paid a appraiser In Seattle Washington,$500.00. He took about thirty pictures and a write up about the SSR, And all that had been done to It. He sent state farm a appraisal for $45000 dollars for all the custom work done, And the custom paint. They Received the appraisal and the next day I got a check for $22,500 dollars. You never know. If the R had original paint, A new door and repainting, It probably could of been maybe $2500 to $3000 dollars. The one thing about my R Is a appraiser from state farm came to my house twice and checked the damage and said we can get It fixed for about $4000 dollars and I can write you a check today So do not give up when you deal with Insurance Companies, They are looking out for them. You do not have to give In to what they want to pay for a accident.

#39 ·
Fortunate

You were VERY fortunate that the other driver had a good policy and their insurance paid the correct amount to you.

Today far too many people on the road have NO insurance or minimum coverage. This is why we as owners must carry coverage equal to that of our investment. Underinsured and thinking this will not happen to me is a gamble I am not willing to take.

#42 ·
Donny, is your last name Mitchener? HaHa - you just wrote a novel of Mitchener status!
Was it a 76 or 77 Vette?

Rebel post was great! Certainly, a wonderful time to modify a rear bumper!
There is a bunch of them - would have to find it but one picture with 4 pipes out the centre - tres cool!

I helped Gatling Gun - insurance offered him $20k - got him $26, but in retrospect, I think I failed - I should have gotten him $30k, but a rotten company was offering him $20k for a full load 2006
I have seen companies giving $20k for a bull crap 2004 with zero going for it.
You would have to search but look at some of my posts in the Deceased thread - see who gives up the best numbers.

#40 · (Edited)
Back in the old day’s people fixed things, not just remove and replace parts.

I am no buddy but I did cut up my rear bumper and added a piece of Dewalt toolbox plastic to it when making my dual exhaust tips. There was a puncture also but nobody can find it now.

Heat that plastic with near boiling water and you can push it back close to proper shape, then finish it as usual.

Attachments

#47 ·
There is a rear bumper on Ebay for a $1000.00 It is located in San Diego.

????????????????

I haven't heard back, but auto body shop is now playing deaf to my calls for alternatives to new. Every used or aftermarket bumper or panel was snuffed. The last comment was "paperwork has already been sent up"

Back in the old day’s people fixed things, not just remove and replace parts.

I am no buddy but I did cut up my rear bumper and added a piece of Dewalt toolbox plastic to it when making my dual exhaust tips. There was a puncture also but nobody can find it now.

Heat that plastic with near boiling water and you can push it back close to proper shape, then finish it as usual.
NO kidding!! I thought that was what the shop was pitching. They had me under the impression it was going to be "repaired"

Donny, is your last name Mitchener? HaHa - you just wrote a novel of Mitchener status!
Was it a 76 or 77 Vette?

Rebel post was great! Certainly, a wonderful time to modify a rear bumper!
There is a bunch of them - would have to find it but one picture with 4 pipes out the centre - tres cool!

I helped Gatling Gun - insurance offered him $20k - got him $26, but in retrospect, I think I failed - I should have gotten him $30k, but a rotten company was offering him $20k for a full load 2006
I have seen companies giving $20k for a bull crap 2004 with zero going for it.
You would have to search but look at some of my posts in the Deceased thread - see who gives up the best numbers.
Hey CHKnMnKY. I can not believe that the Insurance company would want to total the R out for the damage you have. The R Is worth at least $20.000 or more. The body shop you took It too, May do alot of business with the Insurance company. Sounds like they are high balling a super low value for what they want to give you. Something Is really fishy with the body shop and, Or the Insurance agent. This does happen from things I have seen over the past years. You are better off getting the R out of their shop and even If you had to flip the bill yourself, You would be thousands of dollars ahead and still have your R. Bottom line Is get the R out of there
I'm going to hear from them tomorrow. When I was at the body shop, they didn't necessarily refuse to let me take my truck out, but they were dam sure stingy with the keys. I'm playing it as best I can since i'm 2 hours away and let them hold it for now until I hear from the adjuster. I think you are right, if the insurance comes back and says yes to the total, i'm advocating for 20,000 if not more. If the buy back is more that 5k, i'll have to walk. Kinda dumb to have to buy back a car you own outright. amiright? I'm still just hoping for the best and keeping my mind clear.

#43 ·
I'll preface by saying I'm not good with repair estimates, but having recently gone through something similar, with much worse damage, if the shop you choose has a nitrogen welder, any cracks in the bumper can be fixed in a day.
They popped my bumper back into shape, say 8 hours of work and a few coats of paint, my bumper repair was no more than $500.
With the price our family here is offering on parts, there is absolutely no reason why, under any definition, your truck should be any form of totalled.

Side note, I was told after my accident,
And I quote,
"If the air bags did not deploy,
The accident will not reflect on Carfax."

#44 ·
Hey CHKnMnKY. I can not believe that the Insurance company would want to total the R out for the damage you have. The R Is worth at least $20.000 or more. The body shop you took It too, May do alot of business with the Insurance company. Sounds like they are high balling a super low value for what they want to give you. Something Is really fishy with the body shop and, Or the Insurance agent. This does happen from things I have seen over the past years. You are better off getting the R out of their shop and even If you had to flip the bill yourself, You would be thousands of dollars ahead and still have your R. Bottom line Is get the R out of there

#48 ·
I woulds say, Get the R out of the body shop. I would not deal with the Insurance company or the body shop at all and get the R back home. Forget them and get the parts you need and find a body shop In your area. Bite the bullet and handle everything on your end. For the $5000. they want to give you for a buy back, Spend your own money to get It fixed with no headaches or problems. It Is your SSR, Dam It, Keep It that way without those jerks.

#49 ·
I don't agree with everything "donnys05ssr" but, I would get it back and ask for a different Adjuster to come look at it and personally discuss the situation with him/her. Explain the whole story about the "SSR" and that you have been looking around and the prices you found would save them LOTS of money and make it possible to keep you BABY. Like others mentioned before, don't get in a hurry. They probably want to get it settled as quick or quicker than you. First get it back home!!

Nick

#50 ·
Keep in mind the body shop has an investment in it now. They are not going to let it out of their possession till their bill is paid. They are going to have a bill for the tear down they did, the estimate and storage and towing if it was towed in. Also make sure that everything is there if you pick it up. Look over all the parts and even if they are damaged make sure you have them. Small things like clips, bolts or wiring can be hard to find if you need it and it doesn't come with the new parts. I would talk to the adjuster first and tell them you want to take it to a different body shop and see what they say. Tell them you have looked around and been able to find parts to repair the truck with but the body shop does not seem to want to fix it. The adjuster might be willing to listen and pay the bill and get it out of there and into another shop to get it fixed.

#51 ·
Another thought is the body shop want to buy it at auction and flip it (they wouldn't do that would they?). When I let my YUKON go for less than I thought it was worth the tow driver who picked it up told me he would pick it up for less than the insurance company wanted for buy back. My problem was I had no place to put it so I let it go.

Reactions: donnys05ssr
#52 ·
The reasons posted here are why I drove 800 miles to Wenatchee, WA to retrieve my SSR to the Bay Area after it was clobbered up there. My insurance company (AAA) had told the body shop estimator that their limit was $20K before they would total it. Had it remained in Wenatchee for repair I'm sure it would have been totaled. The final bill was around $12K. That included wheel, tire, rear quarter panel, repairs to the rear fascia and repairs to the passenger door and a whole lot of man hours.

Attachments

#54 ·
Crickets, absolutely crickets. I visited the shop over the weekend but they had no answers, USAA is waiting on the adjuster. I’m trying to find his number in my collection of email, but nothing nada, zilch. On the bright side the links for parts that everyone shared are still available and I’m following them so I can just order the parts when I get her back. Thanks for asking, I couldn’t be more thankful for being apart of such a supportive group.

#57 ·
I could not agree more, Donny . . .

So far, this Insurance Company and/or Agent appear to be very "wishy-washy" at best. Definitely not the performance I would accept for either The Bummer or The Doophus. If I remember correctly, a few years ago USAA was caught "red-handed" in some very sleazy claim handling after Hurricane Sandy as well as a few other storms. Maybe it is time to consider a new Insurance Company?

As so many have previously posted . . . bring the SSR home and start over. A Salvage Title should be considered the final option.

! :surprise: ! :banghead ! :surprise: ! :banghead ! :surprise: !

#59 ·
CHKnMnKY. I do not quite understand your last post. You say you agreed on a Insurance change. Are you dealing with a different adjuster In your area with the same Insurance company you have, Or are you talking about a new Insurance company who would have nothing to do with your claim. It seems to me that your Insurance company would have you get bids on your accident and come to a agreement to pay you with a check and sign you off and you can do or go anywhere to get the R fixed. Years past I had a couple different claims and the Insurance company wrote me a check and I signed a form that the Insurance company was finished with the claim, And I did my own thing and and used the money for whatever. Have you checked Into them paying your claim to you and you signing that they are done with the claim and you go do whatever.?????????????????????

#60 ·
Sorta update. This afternoon, the insurance agent working my claim told me that he's contacted the adjustor/appraiser and waiting for their response to either confirm or refute.

CHKnMnKY. I do not quite understand your last post. You say you agreed on a Insurance change. Are you dealing with a different adjuster In your area with the same Insurance company you have, Or are you talking about a new Insurance company who would have nothing to do with your claim.
I mean changing my insurance provider as a whole after this month long fiasco. I'm just lashing out in protest really. I'll probably stay with the insurance, I've had them for over ten years. Forgive my frustration, please.

It seems to me that your Insurance company would have you get bids on your accident and come to a agreement to pay you with a check and sign you off and you can do or go anywhere to get the R fixed. Years past I had a couple different claims and the Insurance company wrote me a check and I signed a form that the Insurance company was finished with the claim, And I did my own thing and and used the money for whatever.
The adjuster/damage appraiser has already reviewed the truck and acknowledged appx 5k in damage. I had the opportunity to go to whatever body shop I wanted an approved location of their choosing. I took them up on their offer and went with a big name local body shop. After turning over the keys and signing documents, the body worker reviewed the damage and claimed more work is needed and some parts are overly priced/gouged in the market. Last communication they gave me is that they've submitted paperwork to the insurance claiming that it should be considered a total loss, this was Thursday of last week.

Have you checked Into them paying your claim to you and you signing that they are done with the claim and you go do whatever.?????????????????????
From what I understand, I'm at the mercy of the adjuster/appraiser right now. When I was there this weekend, the shop made it seem I couldn't until the insurance agent or appraiser reviewed what they sent them. It doesn't help that i'm not at home to pull it out.

#67 · (Edited)
It was declared a mutual fault. It was in a different thread you can find by searching posts by ChknMnky

#69 ·
Visited serenity today. Still not worked on. Place is closed, insurance agent seems to be on vacation. Appraisal company says everything is closed out. I’m depressed that I can’t be with my baby. I also found today that someone knocked my rear view mirror off.

Attachments

#70 ·
Visited serenity today. Still not worked on. Place is closed, insurance agent seems to be on vacation. Appraisal company says everything is closed out. I’m depressed that I can’t be with my baby. I also found today that someone knocked my rear view mirror off.
Inside or outside? Either way make sure that is paid for by the shop/storage facility so it does not become part of the insurance claim.

#72 ·
Sorry this may get lengthy

I would be asking for the supervisor at the insurance company. Keep in mind there is a ladder to their system. Bottom rung is the adjuster who takes the case first of all. This person may be new and learning the ropes, or a long time employee and gets bonuses for fast closing his or her claims with big savings for the insurance company. So he is away on vacation could be in your favor. I would be on the phone and asking for someone up the ladder. First start out with trying to get help because you have been with out your vehicle and want to get it settled as soon as you can. THESE are the most loved words for the insurance company. Explain your case that you have a unique vehicle that you are running into problems with either the body shop or your adjuster and feel it is being stalled by one or both of these and you would like to get it moving because you have already seen additional damage happen to the vehicle while it sits at the body shop. DO NOT make threats of lawsuits or talking to a lawyer. At this point the manager can either take it on them self or they can reassign the case to another agent. Again if you are asking for help and they feel they can get the claim closed and save money they are going to be on board with doing so.
If you can take a day and use it or part of the day to deal with it, explain to them that you have time this day and want to try to get it resolved then. They are probably going to tell you they will see what they can do and it will take some time. Remind them then that your feelings are time is of the essence and your vehicle has already been damaged further at the shop and your wish is to prevent further damage and an increase in the CLAIM COSTS. Explain you have taken the day off work and this is COSTING you money. These things are the magic words that they key in on and understand. I would also suggest you try to find another body shop before hand that may agree to help you with the repairs. If you can provide this information the insurance company that you have someone else who is ready to get the parts and repair the truck this will be a positive in your favor.

If this has all failed, it maybe time to call an attorney and ask what your options are. Don't tell the insurance company anything about speaking with an attorney either before or after you do. The reason is, if you mention the word lawyer the insurance company can and most likely will move your claim to the legal department and that can slow things down even more.

If you have a body shop who has looked at the pictures and checked into parts and says they can repair the truck with in reason compared to the original estimate then a lawyer maybe able to send a letter to the insurance company and make things happen much quicker.

One final thing is if at all possible be there at the body shop when it is picked up to be moved to another shop. I can see in the picture the tail ight and side marker looks to be off the truck. Make sure the wiring for the rear bumper is with it, the bolts, any brackets and anything else that was on the truck even if it is broken make sure it goes with the truck.

Good luck. All of my advice is from dealing with insurance companies for both my own claims and my kids claims on vehicles. I have had luck dealing with them on my own and have also had to go the legal route once. I learned a lot from the attorney in that case. He wrote a letter and sent it, and got that claim handled the next day after I had been dealing with it for almost 2 months. The insurance company also knows that you are not going get a lawyer to handle a case for a small settlement so that is in their favor and they know that. You may have to pay an attorney a small fee to do a letter but it may be the best money spent.

#73 ·
This has got to be the worst case of getting a SSR repaired from being In a accident. Did this happen on Friday the 13TH. Get the SSR out of the shop and take It home and go from there.This Is a nightmare of all time??? Get on It and get It home. Enough said. I think you could write a book on your doings, And just maybe It would be a best seller.

#75 ·
The jurisdiction where the accident occurred dictates laws relating to "at fault" issues. If SC, comparative negligence is the law. This governs your dealings with the "other" insurer, not yours. If you are dealing with your own insurer, percentage of negligence has no bearing. In the latter case, your own insurance policy, the collision coverage (subject to deductible), should pay generally for repair or replacement of like, kind and quality. The actual cash value (ACV) of your "R" (the replacement or "total loss" value) should be based upon the condition and mileage on your car. A couple quotes from the FAQ section in the Department of Insurance in SC website:
"3.Is South Carolina a no fault or at fault state?
South Carolina is a tort liability state, which means the not-at-fault person can pursue a claim against the at-fault party. South Carolina is also comparative negligence, which means you can be barred from collecting for the percentage you contributed to the accident.
11.Are there any specific time limits for an insurance company to pay claims?
In general, insurance companies should pay all claims in a prompt and reasonable amount of time. However, what constitutes "prompt and reasonable" may vary from claim to claim. Claims that require a special or extended investigation may take longer to resolve. Inclement weather conditions, coverage issues, and the number of vehicles involved in an accident can slow the process down.
13.Can the insurance company pay me less than Blue Book for my totaled vehicle?
Yes. The Blue Book is only a guide. The company is required to pay you what your vehicle was actually worth (as a used car) the moment before the crash. The adjuster will find out how much used cars like yours (same make, model, year, and mileage) are going for in your area. It's a good idea for you to independently research the value of your car too.
14.The adjuster recommended a specific body shop. Can I use a different shop?
You can have it repaired wherever you choose. But no matter what shop you choose, the adjuster will base your claim payment on market price for the repairs and pay the local average rates for parts & labor.
15.Who pays for the rental car while my car is in the body shop?
When the claim is against the other driver's company, the other driver’s company is required by law to reimburse your loss of use for what is reasonable and necessary. However, some insurers will do a direct bill with a rental car company.
If the car is totaled, many companies pay for your rental or reimburse you until a settlement has been offered."
See doi.sc.gov for more information, and/or to file a Consumer Complaint on line.
In any case, be pro-active on the handling of your claim. Minimize time lapses between contacts.
Hope this helps.

#76 ·
Really long read but extremely useful, thanks! I need to determine what constitutes reasonable time frame. We’re at over a month since the accident and almost a month it’s been at the shop with nothing being done. The body shop says to call insurance, insurance says theyll call adjuster, appraisal people say the account is closed out. I’m reaching the point of feeling that the insurance company is failing to meet the expectations of the contract we established together. More to follow I guess. Pic as of Sunday. Still in the same place for three weeks.

Attachments

#78 ·
I don't know about SC or other states, but the Lawyer I talked to told me that, at least in Ohio, the investigation can no longer be pursued after two years, so that is the time frame in which to work.
My accident was in July, and because of various issues, my truck is almost (95%) fixed and the investigation is still current and ongoing.
I'm right there with you.

#79 ·
If you are dealing with your own first party insurance company (collision coverage) there is no need for an investigation (of facts). The only factor between you and your insurer is the evaluation of "how much." "How much" for repair (and I would think that the insurer would agree to after market parts with your consent), and/or "how much" for the total loss value of your "R." If a total loss, the insurer is entitled to the salvage value (there are usually salvage bids by multiple parties, and/or the insurer sends the car to a salvage pool. You are usually given the opportunity to "buy back" the "R" for the salvage value - e.g. your get the ACV value, less salvage value and then your stuck with working with someone to repair. However, the body shop is entitle to storage fees if it is not awarded the repair approval. The storage fees will drastically reduce the net salvage recovery.
The delay you are experiencing is not only frustrating to you, but seems unconscionable at this point. Further delay costs money. You need an answer from the insurer immediately so that you can chart your next course, i.e. agreement to settle via ACV or repair, and if not, then insurance department complaint, attorney, arbitration, etc.

#80 ·
Found out the hang up guys. Just as I thought, the body shop had sent up a document to be reviewed and the agent has been sitting on it. Either he overlooked it or forget about it, he didn’t finally pull it up till today. I had to go around my agent to find out, but the ball is rolling again. Tomorrow I’m going to call the supervisor of the agent and let them know about this. I would want to know if one of my troops was dropping the ball on something.

#81 ·
If he was sitting on it I would think that the insurance should cover that storage time whether the work is done there or not. You should not be held liable for any delay while they did not work on your case. Just my $.02

Reactions: nj6969
#83 ·
Some insurance companies have an arrangement with the shops that they don't get charged storage if the vehicle is waiting for the insurance company to make a decision, or it is a reduced rate to the insurance company. The same thing applies with the salvage pools, some of them don't charge a storage fee because they make it up on being able to sell the vehicle. This is why many times they want the vehicle out of the body shop and sent to the salvage pool as quick as they can. It says them money.

#84 ·
Late to the discussion, but had a similar situation on my El Camino here in NV( rear end collision). Ins Co wanted to total, but damage was not extensive, and car was full resto-mod. I did research, and NV law says that car cannot be totaled if cost to repair is less than 65% of the value of the car, NOT including any cost to paint. Repair estimates were $12K, including paint of $3500. Appraisal was $16K. I agreed to take the repair check directly from them, and to have the vehicle repaired at a shop of my choosing, with it being my responsibility if some other damage was found after the fact. They gave me $11K ( $1000 deductible), and I got it repaired. Shop I found would use parts I bought (used), aftermarket, etc. Had enough from the Ins co payment to Upgrade Hood to Cowl hood, do a complete color change, and Linux spray the bed, so I came out ahead.

Might check your state law to see what the rules are for "Totaling" a car. I still had to negotiate up to supervisor level, and even then it was not easy. Even though it did not meet the "rules" for totaling, they still wanted to do it. They were "afraid" of underlying damage that was unknown at the time, that might push up the repair cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.