• 1 Post By Scott 0168
  • 1 Post By SoonerSSR
  • 2 Post By nj6969
  • 3 Post By xoxoxoBruce
  • 3 Post By SSR Trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

drive coast to coast??

Hello fanatics, I on the edge of buying a '04 with 24000 and have been reading everything I can find on it and bumped into the issues that the SSR has. If you bought an SSR similar to the one I'm looking at would you hesitate to drive it coast to coast? It's in excellent condition and under the vehicle looks like it's never been driven in the rain.

I have always admired the SSR but know nothing about them but only what I have read recently.

I hear things about the ignition switch, battery, cooling fan etc which is concerning to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:36 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape View Post
Hello fanatics, I on the edge of buying a '04 with 24000 and have been reading everything I can find on it and bumped into the issues that the SSR has. If you bought an SSR similar to the one I'm looking at would you hesitate to drive it coast to coast? It's in excellent condition and under the vehicle looks like it's never been driven in the rain.

I have always admired the SSR but know nothing about them but only what I have read recently.

I hear things about the ignition switch, battery, cooling fan etc which is concerning to me.
It hard to give you good advice based on that basic information.
If you are buying it from a Fanatic then there is a chance many of the issues have been addressed.
The first thing you need to determine is what the tires are. If it has the original goodyears on it, they may look OK but being 15 years old are not safe to drive on the highway. That should be the first thing to replace before a road trip.
If the cooling fan is operating properly (Two Speeds) then I would not be concerned for the trip home. The ignition switch is a random issue. I replaced mine on my 04 at 62000 mi but it had not failed, Just Preventative. the drivetrain in the SSR is off the shelf Chevy an is nearly bulletproof when properly cared for so I wouldn't worry about that.
Check all the fluids, make sure all the important stuff works, brakes, lights, horn, belts, hoses, wipers etc. and head out.
Load up this forum on your smart phone and post if you have a problem. There are Fanatics to help in every state.
You can address the upgrade when you get home.
Greg
Just be aware it is a 15 yr old vehicle.
DOOPHUS, ABLUR05, mikebike and 6 others like this.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Greg

No not buying from a fanatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:59 PM
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'03 Smokin' Black #1369 all options/'04 Slingshot w trick Flames Boyd Coddington Wheels
Garage
I would buy the SSR and do all of the due diligence that Greg talks about, then I would get in the truck and not be afraid to drive to all the states in the union, and all the provinces in Canada, and you still won't wear it out if you carry out proper maintainence just like you would on any other car. We have members that have over 200,000 miles on their SSR's and they're still not burning a drop of oil, and are running just fine!! I talked to a fellow in Golden Shores Arizona that has an '05 for sale on Craigslist with 300,000 miles on it, and told me it runs and drives just fine! my 2 cents.
Tape likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Each day is a gift" "Enjoy the day!"
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:00 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
I would do a good walk around and check the normal stuff, fluids and such. If the tires are fresh I would do it. The only other thing I would say you might find a need to replace would be the wiper blades. Especially if it has not been driven in the rain, they tend to dry out and not work so well when you do hit rain. I picked my 05 up from California and had to replace the wiper blades. Other than that I had a trouble free trip and my truck had 175,000 miles on it and ran great the entire trip
ABLUR05 and Tape like this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:04 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
Quote:

"Howdy" Tape Wouldn't hesitate one minute going from Berry, Vermont to Escondido, California ... IF ... it was just me. Now if wifey wants to go that's a different story. These SSR's are mechanical monster's just LIKE all vehicles made since the year of 2000. I'm buying an 04 tomorrow with 115,000 miles on it ... yes 115,000 !!! Since Jan is handicapped and now is struggling with cancer ... which means we'll be staying within a days distance of the house. Hey, don't get scared off ... SSReplay just drove his 15 year old " R" 5,000 miles on a trip and so did SWT RYD !!! If you keep lookin' for excuses you'll find them. Go for it ... buy that 04 and join in the FUN !!!

with the SSRfanatics, you'll never regret it !!! Had an 05 Redline Red for 10 years, sold it, now buying the 04 Slingshot Yellow. OH, again !!! tennesseecozydog
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:33 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Beyond what all the others have said, I would just make sure I had a few phone numbers of members here and a means to get on the internet when you stop. I have 261k+ on one of mine and though I have had issues on some of my trips I have neer been stranded thanks to the family here. In your reading just make not of the phone numbers you come across and where their profile says they are located. If they cannot help they can usually find someone who can. Unless I missed it somewhere in the posts above, you might give us an idea of where you are heading and you might even find some who will meet you along the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:10 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Born on 12/23/04, adopted 07/06/16, From KY to CA. Once a farm truck, Now a SoCal cruiser.
Garage
I can say that BlueStreak is right have a few phone numbers, make some friends here on the forum and go get your SSR. I picked mine up in Kentucky and drove her to So Cal.
Had lunch with a couple different Fanatics on the way home, stopped at Simple Engineering on the way and Mike installed a new fan.

So once again, maybe bring a spare ignition, fan belt, Radiator hose, check tires & your fluid levels and go.
BlueStreak and Tape like this.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:52 AM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
It's a 15 year old low mileage Chevy. (That's a good thing)

If all the general maintenance stuff checks out and everything works, chances are you'll be fine.

I'd do it in a heart beat.
Tape likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:24 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2003 slingshot ,4 coil lower kit, removeable lugage rack
What everyone else said...watch the sunburn and smiles
Tape likes this.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:25 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 PITCH BLACK, MUTH Mirrors, BGH Tips, Eibach's, Pioneer Navigation, Old school flames, air horns
Garage
Get a AAA card, it’s magic! Nothing will break that can’t be fixed. Just make sure the top goes down and back up if you hit rain. I’ve been coast to coast twice in my R.The issues are the speed limit and small cash strapped municipalities that have a piece of the interstate.... it’s easy to forget how fast you are going 😎 A really great trip that is exciting.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:56 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Smokin Asphalt
Garage
Send a message via AIM to TheXCepsion
Bought My 04 with 21K on it, did check the Tires, had the front end aligned. A week after purchase, Wife and I traveled from Houston to Southern Utah and toured the National Parks. I didn't hesitate hitting the road, because like previously mentioned, there is nothing that can't be fixed, just may take time. The trip was something We had been wanting too do and having the ability too have the top down and enjoy the scenery made it more enjoyable..Yeah, the PermaGrin crept in on that trip. We drove in Snow, Rain, and beautiful weather...Wouldn't have missed it for anything. The New ( to Me ) R, ran like a well taken care of machine..No problems ...Go for Your trip..You won't be disappointed.
BlueStreak, ABLUR05 and Tape like this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:10 AM

My SSR:
One other thing, if you have the time take more time to enjoy the trip. Take lots of pictures and enjoy the adventure of the trip and the joy of the new toy.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:49 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Chrome in and out, OH SO Orange stripes w/"warp speed" air brushed door accents.
In addition to making sure that the tires are not "outdated", I'd also make sure the battery is new (or at least recent) and I'd buy an updated ignition switch and the shift linkage replacement kit that has been offered on this website.
If any of the above items fail your are "dead-in-the-water" and will require a tow truck to get you to a repair facility and they may not have these parts readily available.

I have 37,000 (or so) on my '04 and never had an issue with it but I did install the shift linkage replacement kit and the "spare" ignition switch is in my console just in case.
BlueStreak and Tape like this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:19 AM

My SSR:
One other thing I thought about yesterday while on a little trip. One nice addition is the seat belt cover pad. These are nice to have on the door bar and rest your arm on while driving. I have these on my 04 and ordered an extra set for my 05. I took them with me and put them on for the drive home. The arm bar is just a comfortable place to rest your arm while driving and the padding makes it even nicer. Mike has them at Simple Engineering
https://shop.simple-engineering.com/...&categoryId=11
Tape likes this.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:28 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Black 03, Vin#0168, License Plate-"DRMRIDE". Florida "Snowbird"
1. On long road trips we set on a chair cushion to get us up above the seat boosters. You can also purchase gel cushions on Amazon too. Makes long road trips a lot more comfortable!
2. If you have a breakdown, I would have it towed to a GM service garage. They can usually get most internal parts such as a fuel pump like I needed last week on a long road trip.

Tape likes this.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:45 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
Garage
Sounds like you have found a vehicle that has been well cared for. By the time you reach ‘home’ you should have a good start on that ‘permagrin’ that everyone talks about. Welcome aboard from the ‘Sooner’ state of Oklahoma. You are about to find out what a great group of folks you are going to be associated with as a Fanatic. We hope you can join us for the international rally in Branson, MO this October. This will be one event you won’t want to miss.
Tape likes this.

Sooner SSR
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:15 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Tape, From where to where? Ditto all above and--Welcome from Forney Texas!!! You will discover that you have found the BEST FORUM ever!----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something, it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

--Also if you haven't yet, go to "FORUMS", "SSRFanatics News & Polls", click "New Member section", click "Post New Thread" and introduce Yourself!!

And, if you decide on a "Lifetime or Premium" Membership, you will get more benefits and no ads!? and show appreciation for tips and help. Click "Get Premium" under the Red Banner, read and compare the Advantages!!

Nick & Kathy 214-369-1081 (leave message for immediate call back)
Auggie Doggie and Tape like this.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:44 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Take a First Aid handbook for dealing with rapid heart beat, tingling sensations, extreme grin muscle soreness, and unexpected erections.
BlueStreak, Stlhotrod and Tape like this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:44 PM
I

My SSR:
San Francisco Bay Area
One thing that nobody has mentioned.......

**Get a Bra for it**

and stay off of I-I0...especially across Texas...
Try I-40 if you can.
The dust storms on 10 will leave some
nasty pitting...

Frank....
BlueStreak, Hollister SSR and Tape like this.

I Love Getting IN & Out of:
"TROUBLE"
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thanks guys for all the info and great suggestions.

if anyone has a link for a ignition switch & shift linkage replacement kit I would really appreciate it.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the info and great suggestions.

if anyone has a link for a ignition switch & shift linkage replacement kit I would really appreciate it.
Simple Engineering
thanks Stlhotrod

stupid me
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:37 PM

My SSR:
For the trip I would grab one of the Dorman shift linkage kits. They can get you home to replace it with the more permanent fix. The good one you have to pull the arm off and grind the head off the old one. If the shifter would break on the road you could pop the Dorman one in with a pair of pliers and be back on the road again in next to no time. The Dorman is available at the parts store so easy to grab one for just in case.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:28 PM

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Coast to coast...Sure

I have an 04 with 28,000 miles on it. Just drove it 1100 miles, from Tucson to Temecula and back without any thought. I'd have no problem driving it across the country.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:59 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Lookin' for adventure
And whatever comes your way

Do it, you'll never regret it. Surprises are not trouble, they're adventures.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in