post #121 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:04 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash View Post
Dropping the bar of soap in the shower in the men's locker room - dropping the clay bar on the garage floor - both very annoying!
Dropping the soap bar in the men's shower can be more than annoying. Best to kick it to the corner, and turn your butt to the wall before bending over to pick it up.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:26 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
Thanks for the tip on the runaway soap in the shower. I just hope it wasn't based on personal experience! LOL

Dave
Joshvette likes this.
post #123 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:02 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Red # 2238, 2006 Pacific Blue #122857, 2006 black over silver 22946 ,2006 Yellow #123521
After 58 years I recently retired owing a body shop and the detailing was one main subject I had to have done , not every one can or will do a superbe job ! Experience is needed
Joshvette likes this.

Other Rides

2007 GMC Envoy Denali
2002 Monaco 42 foot Executive MH
1957 Plymouth Fury
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
2003 Slingshot Yellow SSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furykay View Post
After 58 years I recently retired owing a body shop and the detailing was one main subject I had to have done , not every one can or will do a superbe job ! Experience is needed

You are exactly right. There's a certain personality type that it takes to be good at detailing.

Do what's right not what's easy....
post #125 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:14 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Smokin' Asphalt, Automatic, bought March 2016, #16765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flassh View Post
I was cleaning the SSR with Zaino All In One cleaner/polish as a prep for several layers of Z5, and after checking using the baggie trick, found the surface still contained a lot of contaminants. That was a bit surprising considering how often the truck was washed and detailed last year.

Rather than using a claybar, I thought I'd try one of the Nano Skin foam pads I purchased last fall.

I was pleasantly surprised at how effective it was at removing contaminants. I use highly diluted Zaino detergent as a lubricant, instead of an expensive detailer. Any diluted auto detergent in a spray bottle will do nicely, for a Nano Skin or a claybar.

Big plus with the Nano Skin pad is the ease of cleaning. Drop it on the ground, just need to run it under a tap to rinse it and continue using it. Drop a claybar, and you're throwing it away. A claybar also deteriorates as you use it.

Negative is the working surface is black, so you don't get the satisfaction of seeing the contaminants as you do on a claybar - but you don't need to keep kneading for a fresh surface.

I would recommend trying one. I got good results using a fine pad.

Here's a link to the product on Autogeek. If you're a car cleaning freak, the range of products on Autogeek could bankrupt you, so proceed with caution.

Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge

I had purchased these microfiber towels at the same time - also an excellent product. All other microfiber and cotton towels I have on the shelf will now be relegated to wheel polishing and tire cleaning. Ordering a bunch more of these.

I would recommend the 12 pack - much better value.

Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel, microfiber buffing towel, micro fiber towel
Thanks for the links. I want to try these. The latest Firefox warns of insecure websites, sites that do not use HTTPS (the S means secure). I'm not a henny penny, but I do try to protect myself as much as possible. If you create an account on a non-secure site, be sure to use a unique password that is not used on any other site, and better to use PayPal than enter a credit card. Better yet, find a site using HTTPS, Amazon for example has the Nanoskin and I'll give it a try, but I don't see the microfiber towels there.

Remember, the bad guys are watching
post #126 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:18 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi Guy View Post
Thanks for the tip on the runaway soap in the shower. I just hope it wasn't based on personal experience! LOL

Dave
Urban legend.
Joshvette likes this.

Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #127 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:49 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Red 18,200 miles
TopCoat® Master-Craftsman™ F11™ Polish & Sealer TopCoat® Master-Craftsman™ F11™ Pol

Has anyone heard of this or tried this product, I watched the video and it looks great...but...want an opinion
post #128 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:22 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie63 View Post
Has anyone heard of this or tried this product, I watched the video and it looks great...but...want an opinion
Scroll to the bottom to find the video. TopCoat - F11? Master-Craftsman? Polish & Sealer Edit: This is a lame video.

Here's a long winded video

Pricey
https://topcoat.store/
post #129 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:15 AM

My SSR:
had an 05 Aqua Blur, sniff, sniff
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowandthen View Post

I've never understood the reasoning for these long winded sales videos, just as annoying as a telemarketer.
Joshvette likes this.
post #130 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 02:45 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Joshvette where are you? I expected a reply from you.
Joshvette likes this.
post #131 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:11 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Thanks Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flassh View Post
I was cleaning the SSR with Zaino All In One cleaner/polish as a prep for several layers of Z5, and after checking using the baggie trick, found the surface still contained a lot of contaminants. That was a bit surprising considering how often the truck was washed and detailed last year.

Rather than using a claybar, I thought I'd try one of the Nano Skin foam pads I purchased last fall.

I was pleasantly surprised at how effective it was at removing contaminants. I use highly diluted Zaino detergent as a lubricant, instead of an expensive detailer. Any diluted auto detergent in a spray bottle will do nicely, for a Nano Skin or a claybar.

Big plus with the Nano Skin pad is the ease of cleaning. Drop it on the ground, just need to run it under a tap to rinse it and continue using it. Drop a claybar, and you're throwing it away. A claybar also deteriorates as you use it.

Negative is the working surface is black, so you don't get the satisfaction of seeing the contaminants as you do on a claybar - but you don't need to keep kneading for a fresh surface.

I would recommend trying one. I got good results using a fine pad.

Here's a link to the product on Autogeek. If you're a car cleaning freak, the range of products on Autogeek could bankrupt you, so proceed with caution.

Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge

I had purchased these microfiber towels at the same time - also an excellent product. All other microfiber and cotton towels I have on the shelf will now be relegated to wheel polishing and tire cleaning. Ordering a bunch more of these.

I would recommend the 12 pack - much better value.

Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel, microfiber buffing towel, micro fiber towel
I just bought boat load of stuff from Autogeek (coupons and discounts get you) and their sister company, including Clay bar and lube. Now you enticed me about this product. You see I'm kind of layed back, but I want the best results with the least amount of work. (you know what I mean). Thanks for the post.
post #132 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Joshvette where are you? I expected a reply from you.
I thought I did reply? Someone posted this F11 stuff a few days ago and I replied to it then....

Was that an unrelated thread perhaps? Pretty sure I replied.

Basically my thoughts were that this stuff only fills in and covers up defects, flaws and scratches/swirls, it does not remove them.

I have not used this product but I'm confident once the fillers have rinsed off the finish it will return to it's flawed condition. I'm old fashioned about car care, I believe in real results that are permanent but to each his own right.
farf02 and nowandthen like this.

post #133 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 09:05 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Rant on: Warning! Autogeek sends nag (reminder) emails. I put a couple of items in my cart and left them. I received multiple nag emails about my cart. I had to empty my cart to stop the nags. I hate companies that do that and I will not buy from them. I'll buy elsewhere.If nag emails were really a productive, non-annoying sales technique, I think Amazon, the king of e-tailing, would do it, don't you? Thank god Amazon doesn't nag me! I've had items in my Amazon cart (saved for later) for years! Amazon must know it annoys a certain percentage of customers. I get enough junk emails and I do not want nag emails, if I want it I will buy it, please don't nag me! I don't want "did you find what your looking for?" or "you left items in your cart". Put those comments in my universal translator and I get "I want your money now, give it to me!" Rant off.

Thanks for the tips on the products.
Joshvette likes this.
post #134 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Amazon is smarter about it, but they do it too,,, kind of. They will post "ads" up around the sites you visit that have the products you view or have saved. They may not send annoying emails but they put banners up all over the places you visit.

post #135 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 06:28 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
Believe it or not I have left an item in the cart, left the website and in a short period of time received an email for a percentage discount if I do the purchase.

I do agree that if the item really doesn't interest you, it would be good to delete the item to get them off your back.

Dave
post #136 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:15 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Rant on: Warning! Autogeek sends nag (reminder) emails.
Autogeek is a great source. Aside from purchasing multiple Zaino from the Zaino store, pretty much anything else I have purchased for several years comes from Autogeek. Their price on the Porter Cable polisher, pads, cloths, nitrite gloves, and so many other items is better than anywhere else - plus you can buy all the products you could possibly need from one source.

As a result, I get emails from them pretty much daily. I will typically hold off ordering until I need a few items, and take advantage of one of the many discounts they offer.

What I also find really easy is to just delete the messages when I'm not interested. Much less stressful than letting it get to you.
Joshvette likes this.

Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09

post #137 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:08 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWT RYD View Post
I just bought boat load of stuff from Autogeek (coupons and discounts get you) and their sister company, including Clay bar and lube. Now you enticed me about this product. You see I'm kind of layed back, but I want the best results with the least amount of work. (you know what I mean). Thanks for the post.
Startup with Zaino can seem a bit overwhelming until you get through the process once.

Start with a good scrubdown or two with Dawn. Next step is claybar. Don't overspend on lube. Seems silly to use a spray bottle of expensive detailer. I did that the first time, then tried a couple capfuls of Zaino car wash in a spray bottle. It worked great, and cost a few cents instead of $20, so feel free to use liberally.

One more wash down after you're finished with clay, to get rid of the soap residue. Check before and after claying a section with the ziplock bag trick. You'll be surprised at the difference in feel. What seems like a smooth surface when you wipe it with your hand feels like exposed aggregate with a baggie on your hand.

I've had great luck using Zaino's Fusion (Z-PC) with my Porter Cable polisher to work on swirls and scratches. Use as needed with a bright light to check progress. I then use Z All In One with the power polisher to go over the whole truck. That's all I do on my daily drivers, but get a little carried away on the SSR.

Zaino stresses in their information that less is more. Use very little of Z2 or Z5. I haven't used ZFX in years. I confirmed with Sal Zaino that the primary function of ZFX is to speed up the process so you can do multiple coats in one day. I'm quite happy to do one coat a day while the truck is off the road - can't put it on the road till mid-April, so lots of time to get the job done. Once you have wiped off the residue from Z2 or Z5, give it a quick going over with Zaino spray detailer to make sure all the residue has been removed. Bright light helps with this as well.

What I found works best when putting on Z2 or Z5 is to keep spraying the applicator between panels so it stays damp. I have a sprayer with distilled water (no idea why, but it's got to be better than tap water, right?). I alternate between water and detailer. The product should go on extremely thin. Awesome result with multiple layers.

You won't believe how slippery the finish will be, and how well it beads when wet. It is impossible to get masking tape to stick, and duct tape will barely hang on. I do the same process every spring. The rest of the season, I spray it down with my power washer to get rid of any grit, wash it with Zaino car wash using Joshvette's two bucket system and one of those ridicculously expensive wooly mamoth or whatever mitts, dry it with compressed air to minimize possible swirling and finish with detailer.
Joshvette likes this.

Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09

post #138 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:13 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Josh, what's your opinion on what the temperature range for should be for washing, claying and polishing a vehicle. Every time I plan on doing this the temperature falls. My thought is the warmer the temp the better the results.
post #139 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:23 AM

What's your guys opinion on Chemical Guy brands? I'm an avid Amazon shopper and often see their 25% sales and when combo'd with the 15% Subscribe and Save feature the prices seem reallllly good.
post #140 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWT RYD View Post
Josh, what's your opinion on what the temperature range for should be for washing, claying and polishing a vehicle. Every time I plan on doing this the temperature falls. My thought is the warmer the temp the better the results.
The ideal temps for polishing and waxing your cars would be between 70-80 degrees. The polishes will work better in those temps.

Really anything above 55 degrees is okay, but things tend to work best around 75 degrees.

Humidity will also play a factor but you should be fine.

Josh

post #141 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix View Post
What's your guys opinion on Chemical Guy brands? I'm an avid Amazon shopper and often see their 25% sales and when combo'd with the 15% Subscribe and Save feature the prices seem reallllly good.
I tend to hear good things about Chemical Guys brand.

If you're wanting to know about a specific product it would be easier to answer that question. No one brand offers the best of all products but some tend to offer better sealants but not great polishes or some offer great compounds and polishes but don't have great sealants for example.

I personally don't stick to any one brand, I have polishes from multiple brands that tend to be my go to polishes and I have sealants from completely different brands which I feel are better and I use interior products from another totally different brand.

post #142 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 12:40 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Don't know if this guy is right or not, but an interesting fix for parking lot scrapes.

Joshvette likes this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #143 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Don't know if this guy is right or not, but an interesting fix for parking lot scrapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zzq5f8x5f4
Looks like he got scraped with a wet piece of dry wall.... most paint transfer scrapes I've seen are pretty darn smooth, but anyways....

He's not necessarily wrong because he got the desired results but I would have done it way differently.

First off I would have started by spraying the area with soapy water to clean it all around.

Next I would have used some 3M adhesive remover and it would have probably melted it off end of story.... done.

However if it doesn't come off with adhesive remover, I'd try clay baring next.

If absolutely nothing removes it you can try the magic eraser.

If its still there light wet sanding with 2000-3000 then buff off with compounds and rewax.

WD40 really? ....

I've done tons of paint transfer removal over the years and the first thing I reach for after cleaning the area is 3M adhesive remover. Typically done after about 45 seconds of work.... typically.

Josh

post #144 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:12 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
I was hoping you'd chime in on this because while it was interesting I don't have a clue when it comes to this stuff. I'd be at the bodyshop taking it up the butt. Thanks.
Joshvette likes this.

post #145 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
I was hoping you'd chime in on this because while it was interesting I don't have a clue when it comes to this stuff. I'd be at the bodyshop taking it up the butt. Thanks.
Listen, if you ever get an issue like this or something else, please call me first and I'll do my best to steer you in the right direction.

I don't know everything and may not have all the answers, but I'm betting I'll know just enough.....

Josh 214-709-0665

post #146 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 12:11 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
I posted that video because I found it and thought it might be of value to someone.

While I appreciate the offer, you're talking to the wrong guy. Daily driver, when it's dirty I go to the car wash, I've never waxed it, ever, just get it painted when if gets embarrassing.

Don't care about resale value because they'll bury me in it. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from the garage queen, and the I'll go out and 'polish-car-or-murder-spouse' people. In the 12 years I've owned it I have yet to see something I want more. It's the convertible El Camino of my dreams, but I own it, not vice versa.

Thanks again for your offer, and help to the SSR folks. You were a good investment.
Joshvette and Corvettetom like this.

post #147 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
I posted that video because I found it and thought it might be of value to someone.

While I appreciate the offer, you're talking to the wrong guy. Daily driver, when it's dirty I go to the car wash, I've never waxed it, ever, just get it painted when if gets embarrassing.

Don't care about resale value because they'll bury me in it. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from the garage queen, and the I'll go out and 'polish-car-or-murder-spouse' people. In the 12 years I've owned it I have yet to see something I want more. It's the convertible El Camino of my dreams, but I own it, not vice versa.

Thanks again for your offer, and help to the SSR folks. You were a good investment.

I understand and mines a daily driver too, matter of fact mine is technically a work truck but I won't let that stop me from showing up all the "low mileage" garage queens out there.

Guzzi Guy likes this.

post #148 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 08:59 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
It's your profession, your work truck is the sample to show potential clients, it's has to(and does) look superb.
Joshvette and Corvettetom like this.

post #149 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
It's your profession, your work truck is the sample to show potential clients, it's has to(and does) look superb.
Thanks, I can't say the same about my last work truck though.....

It looked good for about a year and a half then I just stopped lovin on it all together and got burned out with it. I neglected it really bad and couldn't stand washing it. It was just too big and too much work....

Not the case with the R though. I've only had it for a year but still love keeping it clean. Matter of fact it was getting pretty dirty and the other day it rained really hard and I was caught in it and could barely see in front of me 200 yards but I just kept driving figuring I've got to wash it anyways so who cares..... next morning it looked almost freshly washed and clean, apparently the heavy rain combined with the slickness of the finish just washed it all away and cleaned it, no joke. I was like that was easy.

True story.

post #150 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 05:27 PM

My SSR:
2004 SLINGSHOT YELLOW
I have a 04 R, only had it for a short time, engine compartment looks as if has never been detailed, look pretty bad and I would like o clean it, worried about getting things wet, what are some of your thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in