29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Smokin Asphalt
Jack

Looking for some advice on what type of jack to carry in the SSR.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Smokin Asphalt
Garage
Send a message via AIM to TheXCepsion
a Bottle Jack will take up less room, if you carry a spare in the back, it will fit in the wheel till needed. Just make sure you get one that will fit under the R and has enough tonnage rating. My 2Cents..
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 AM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
I have one of the small 4 wheeled floor jack types that I have in a cloth bag in the 05. It is nice because it is lower than a bottle jack and more stable. I also carry a wheel chock as well. It was in the 05 when I bought it. I don't recommend putting your hitch in the same bag as the two together can end up with a broken knob on the hitch.

I went out at lunch to take a picture and I was wrong about the jack in the 05 it is actually a small scissors jack in the bag. I never paid much attention to it. What I was referring to is a small jack like the picture below. I have this in my other truck for when I take my open trailer any place. I have used this a lot and it is very handy. It works on uneven ground and has done well over the years.

Also a Trailblazer jack should be able to be found at a junk yard relatively cheap and should work as the frames are the same between the vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smalljack.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	547841  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:46 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
I would look for a small four wheeled floor jack. You will spend more money for one with an aluminum frame, but it will be lighter.

It's very difficult to find a bottle jack that is short enough to fit under the SSR frame, and still give you enough range to actually get a wheel off the ground.

If your R is lowered, fuggetaboutit - you'll need a low profile floor jack. I have a good aluminum framed jack for the garage, and it barely gets under my truck which is lowered 1" front, 1.6" rear. I had a smaller jack that I would carry in the R on road trips, but I damaged it using it as my primary jack, and haven't yet replaced it. Will need to do that before the next road trip.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Smokin Asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlhotrod View Post
I have one of the small 4 wheeled floor jack types that I have in a cloth bag in the 05. It is nice because it is lower than a bottle jack and more stable. I also carry a wheel chock as well. It was in the 05 when I bought it. I don't recommend putting your hitch in the same bag as the two together can end up with a broken knob on the hitch.

What floor jack would you recommend ?
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:02 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Unlike maintenance at home if you have to jack it up on the road(shoulder) it is highly unlikely to be level, good chance of being un or semi paved, and possibly soft.
Stability up in the air is your primary goal, and when confronted with that situation thoughts of cost and taking up room in the bed will be far from your thoughts.

You might want to include a can of spinach.Name:  spinach.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  5.3 KB
yellow bear, Aqua2005 and Bee75 like this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:10 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
I use AAA Club Jack, don't even sweat when I use it.

19' front, 20" back, 4780lbs empty, Jack? Not me!

Dicktator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:16 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
Traveling jack

I got one from Harbor Freight. It is a smaller aluminum one. The wheels will rust though.

I put in a bag and I can put my other spare items in with it when I travel. It will fit in the hard bags, but I don't usually use them on trips.

I have not had to use it. I did use it to test it when I changed out summer and winter wheels. It works it a little bit, but it does work. I use the regular floor jack around the garage.

IMO

Dave
nj6969 likes this.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:26 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 PITCH BLACK, MUTH Mirrors, BGH Tips, Eibach's, Pioneer Navigation, Old school flames, air horns
Garage
I use AAA...they have all the equipment to do it😎
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:17 PM

My SSR:
2004 UV B105918 Born on 2/23/04 Standard upgrades Jeremy tuned
Sears use to carry a small one in a hard plastic case you might try there.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:23 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Lonnie lights #43,confidence by simple Engineering
Send a message via Yahoo to abadssr
Have tried and used AAA works great and fits in wallet
Auggie Doggie likes this.

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:32 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 PurpleHaze View Post
Sears use to carry a small one in a hard plastic case you might try there.
No sears, Shopko or K-Mart since March. All folded up. All we got now is Wally World.
90 Fatboy likes this.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:37 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Red Line Red #20303 TAG: SMKNSSR 6 Speed, Born 1/27/2005
As mentioned with other replies I purchased a Trailblazer Jack with the folding lug wrench in GM Storage case on ebay for less than $30, but also have AAA. The Trailblazer Jack is a scissor type if that helps.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:48 PM

My SSR:
AutoZone, O'Reilly, Parts America all have the small jacks like I listed in post 3. I think Wally World may even have them.

If you look at a full size floor jack that many places sell listed as the racing jacks. There are two types, one has a front roller between the frame and the other has 2 wheels on the out side of the frame. I have had 2 cars fall off the single roller type so be very careful with them. They end up being like a tri cycle with all the weight on the front and easy to tip over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bad jack.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	547847   Click image for larger version

Name:	good jack.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	547849  
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:19 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Also remember if you are doing your own roadside work you also need:
1. A tool to remove your center caps without damaging them.
2. A socket for the right size to fit wheel nuts.
3. A long breaker bar.
4. A 7/16 wrench if you have brake caliper covers as they need to be removed if you are using the 17 in spare wheel.
5. Might need a wheel chock.

Seems like there is no end to it and I probably forgot something.
Jersey red likes this.

Auggie Doggie <><
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:24 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
If you get the Spare tire kit from simple-engineering.com it comes with a scissor jack and all the tools you need in a bag, and the spare fits under the bed.
Jersey red and Texasbaehr like this.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:16 PM
SJA
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Silver with 126,000 mi. s#4B109910
Gave this a lot of thought: Complete loss of tire due to blow out is a low %. Puncture & slow leak is high%. I carry a portable compressor which is capable of restoring adequate air pressure to get me to the nearest repair station & AAA just in case. Why do you want to invest in spare tire, wheel, jack, lug wrench, un safe conditions for tire change, & take up valuable storage space?? I know it's a gamble, but the odds are with me, as I consider myself a reasonable speculator.

"SJA"
90 Fatboy likes this.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:33 PM

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA View Post
Gave this a lot of thought: Complete loss of tire due to blow out is a low %. Puncture & slow leak is high%. I carry a portable compressor which is capable of restoring adequate air pressure to get me to the nearest repair station & AAA just in case. Why do you want to invest in spare tire, wheel, jack, lug wrench, un safe conditions for tire change, & take up valuable storage space?? I know it's a gamble, but the odds are with me, as I consider myself a reasonable speculator.

"SJA"
Question for the AAA guys, How long is the average wait time for them to show up? When I traveled back from CA the wait time was the reason I went with a spare, jack ,and tools. My wife disagrees and said it is because I am stubborn and don't trust anyone to touch my cars to do something I can do my self. She maybe a little right.

I did give it a lot of thought and I can't recall the last time I have had to change a tire on the side of the road while either traveling or just commuting to and from work.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:28 PM

My SSR:
2003/red
For about $120 to your door you can buy an 12-volt electric jack and 12-volt impact wrench & sockets, extensions. all in a plastic box.........FOR some reason I think it also comes with an air-pump???? IF not I have a separate air pump. For some reason I never thought about a spare tire when riding a motorcycle? Although my side-car rigs do have a spare tire............Birdmans
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:39 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
I have had AAA take 20 minutes to 2 hours depending on where I was and that was not always for a tire, but also other issues. I still use them if I can.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:48 PM

My SSR:
2004 UV B105918 Born on 2/23/04 Standard upgrades Jeremy tuned
Danno if you still plan on carrying a jack and spare tire check in the forum for the best all around rim and tire size to have as you will have trouble putting a 20 up front with the way the SSR is set up I believe it may screw up your alignment. This has been covered a number of times on here. Like everyone else 3 A is probably the way to go.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:52 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlhotrod View Post
Question for the AAA guys, How long is the average wait time for them to show up? When I traveled back from CA the wait time was the reason I went with a spare, jack ,and tools. My wife disagrees and said it is because I am stubborn and don't trust anyone to touch my cars to do something I can do my self. She maybe a little right.

I did give it a lot of thought and I can't recall the last time I have had to change a tire on the side of the road while either traveling or just commuting to and from work.
We had AAA for a year. Waited an hour and a half for them to come unlock the car when my wife locked her purse in it with the keys in iit in a Mall parking lot at closing. Had to use tow service once when the idler broke and serpentine belt came off killling the engine. Called and we waited 2-1/2 hrs on the side of a bridge over Louetta Rd on I-45 about 25 mi north of Houston in 95 degree heat and trucks flying by 75mph. A nice State Trooper came by after 90 min and parked behind us with his lights on so we didn't get rear ended. He even gave us a bottle of cold water. No excuse for a 2-1/2 hr wait on an interstate 25 mi from downtown of the forth largest city in the US.
Never again AAA. I put the fantastic SE spare kit on my truck.
Jersey red likes this.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:36 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA View Post

"SJA"
At first I was surprised it had no spare but as I checked around there are many cars that don't carry one any more. Two much weight and also takes up too much room and the staggered size situation plus tires are made better now a days. Some Mercedes, Cadillac's, Corvettes, Mustangs,and several others don't have a spare. I carry one just because we are so rural and nothing is open at night. I also have towing and roadside assistance with my Hagerty insurance.

Auggie Doggie <><
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
I use AAA Club Jack, don't even sweat when I use it.

19' front, 20" back, 4780lbs empty, Jack? Not me!

Dicktator
Im with Dicktator on this one. AAA Jack works every time. Been a AAA member for over 30 years. One call does it all.

Layne12gun
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:16 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
I've waited 5 hours and 15 minutes for AAA when I called at 2 in the afternoon on a tuesday, in nice weather, 10 miles from Philly. I'd hate to think what 2AM in the boondocks would take. To be fair, other times it was less than 2 hours.

If you use Simple Engineering's spare tire mount, mike recommends;

Trailblazer/Envoy
17 X 7 steel spare wheel
Goodyear Integrity, P225/60 X 17 28

The front can be different sizes for awhile but rears must nearly match or the differential resents it.

post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:24 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 PITCH BLACK, MUTH Mirrors, BGH Tips, Eibach's, Pioneer Navigation, Old school flames, air horns
Garage
AAA wait times up to an hour. I try to insure no tire issues by having them checked when I service the R. In 15 years only one tire shred in Kentucky. I worry more about other drivers on the road more than a tire going low or flat. Too old to wrench a tire off on the side of the road with vehicles whizzing by trying to figure out what kind of car it is😜
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:31 AM
Abe's$$R

Large can of fix a flat has worked for me so far. AAA back up.

Abe Davis
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:12 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe's$$R View Post
Lots of shops around here won't repair or work on a tire and wheel after it has that stuff in it. I carry the rope type puncture cord and tools and have the air compressor that came with the SSR and a spare if all else fails and Hagerty drivers club Road Side assistance..

Auggie Doggie <><
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:20 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe's$$R View Post
Fix a flat generally means you throw away the tire, possibly a major cleanup on the wheel. Have you seen how sticky that latex is? You can't get it off, and depending on how much driving is done with it in there as a liquid, you can get a pretty heavy puddle inside. Makes proper inside patch more than most shops want to handle.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:39 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Also, some of those tire repair in a can products use flammable gas. Big badda boom.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in