• 3 Post By Joshvette
  • 1 Post By oldxr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
06 silver
Looking for solution

The tabs on the bra that go around the wheel well keep coming off. Short of drilling a hole for a screw the bra is not stretching I have a hard time getting it on. This has happened on two different ones. Thanks in advance

YOU CANNOT DO A KINDNESS TOO SOON,BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW HOW SOON IT WILL BE TOO LATE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 06:42 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2003 slingshot ,4 coil lower kit, removeable lugage rack
Mine kept riding up from the center.. Took the thinnest bungee cord I could find and added it to the center tabs around the liscenc plate.. works great.. probably could drill a small hole in the bra tab ..and find a suitable spot inside the fender for the other end...and let it all warm up in the sun..to stretch properly..my 2 cents
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:15 AM

My SSR:
'04 "Silver", 1SB, Chrome Wheels, K&N, Billet Grille and Mike's stuff. SOLD September 2016.
I agree with laying them in the sun for maybe 1/2 hour before installing. And making sure to follow the directions to the letter with the install. I've had trouble too with the clips on wheel wells occasionally as well. I found that in most cases the bra was not centered and had to be adjusted from side to side. Frankly, to function properly and to stay on it needs to be a tight fit...Ö.AND IT SURE IS THAT!

Good luck and enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 11:02 AM
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
2003 Slingshot Yellow SSR
Do a little research into Paint protection film also known as a clear bra in your area.

They're a little pricey but well worth the money and you don't even see it on the car as opposed to those big black bras some still use.

I have my whole Hood, bumper, mirrors, A pillars and roof wrapped and it looks just like paint, you don't even know it's on the car protecting it from rock chips.

Josh
HUAW likes this.

Do what's right not what's easy....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:39 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red SSR, Tazzy
3M protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshvette View Post
Do a little research into Paint protection film also known as a clear bra in your area.

They're a little pricey but well worth the money and you don't even see it on the car as opposed to those big black bras some still use.

I have my whole Hood, bumper, mirrors, A pillars and roof wrapped and it looks just like paint, you don't even know it's on the car protecting it from rock chips.

Josh
Iíve had the 3M rock guard on my truck for the last 40,000 miles and no stone chips. Hood, grill,lights,mirrors,pillars and splash guards on the rear fenders. I have had rocks that hit the hood and dented the hood but didnít cut the paint and were able to have them removed by paintless dent removal. Particularly pleased with the film on the headlights. Stopped the discolouration, yellowing, and prevented scratches.
Joshvette likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
06 silver
Thanks everyone. Iím going to sew some Velcro on the bra. Clear bra I priced two years ago a grand plus

YOU CANNOT DO A KINDNESS TOO SOON,BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW HOW SOON IT WILL BE TOO LATE.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:32 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
03 Slingshot #2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKSILVER View Post
The tabs on the bra that go around the wheel well keep coming off. Short of drilling a hole for a screw the bra is not stretching I have a hard time getting it on. This has happened on two different ones. Thanks in advance
I screwed up one of the tabs on mine. I spoke with Colgan customer service and they sent me a couple of new tabs which I had an upholstry shop sew on.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:48 AM

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
I go bra-less and top down quite often
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:09 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
My 2 cents and we all know what that is worth. Either with or without the bra you will sustain paint damage.
1. Without you get stone chips and either have to do touch up or repaint occasionally.
2. With Bra it rubs the clear coat dull so you have to have repaint.
3. Don't care for the plastic coat stuff either as it is very expensive and builds up a dirty edge where it stops and gets yellow in time and hard to get off eventually. .

I myself take #1. Easy to do touch up with Dr Color touch up and maybe someday re-paint if need be. In the mean time looks awesome and no cover hassles to deal with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:18 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdoger View Post
Mine kept riding up from the center.. Took the thinnest bungee cord I could find and added it to the center tabs around the liscenc plate.. works great.. probably could drill a small hole in the bra tab ..and find a suitable spot inside the fender for the other end...and let it all warm up in the sun..to stretch properly..my 2 cents

I don't have a bra on my ride, so not quite sure how your's is supposed to hook up. But I did have a custom bra on my '39 Chevy streetrod and the lower front end of it was held down by large/long strips of thin lead encased in felt straps. You bent the lead strapping under the front end as necessary to get it tight.

As to the fender parts, mine had Snaps that snapped just inside the fender well. The female part of the snaps were on short straps extending from the bra itself and the male part of the snap was just inside the fender well via a stubby sheet metal screw.

Looking at my SSR front fenders, the fenders themselves do not "curl" around in a (U) shape as did my '39......thus providing the spot for the snap on the inside of the "U". But on the SSR, it looks like a similar anchor point could be a snap into the plastic inner fender liner.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:14 AM
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
2003 Slingshot Yellow SSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Doggie View Post
My 2 cents and we all know what that is worth. Either with or without the bra you will sustain paint damage.
1. Without you get stone chips and either have to do touch up or repaint occasionally.
2. With Bra it rubs the clear coat dull so you have to have repaint.
3. Don't care for the plastic coat stuff either as it is very expensive and builds up a dirty edge where it stops and gets yellow in time and hard to get off eventually. .

I myself take #1. Easy to do touch up with Dr Color touch up and maybe someday re-paint if need be. In the mean time looks awesome and no cover hassles to deal with.

The new protective films are much better then the older films plus you need to find an installer who's good and uses quality films or yes they can yellow if they're cheap films.

The new films however do not yellow and are self healing and some even have a hydrophobic top coat and most have 10 year warranties against yellowing anyways. It's not like it used to be where it was badly textured and yellowed real bad.

As far as dirt building up in the edges that is very easily remedied with a little alcohol and a MF towel. The build up is no different then dirt building up in between the panel seems.

Funny thing is people are talking about how expensive having PPF installed yet are okay with having to repaint a hood, bumper and fender??? or how bad it looks but are okay with a giant black bra standing out??

Just my .2 cents for what it's worth.

Do what's right not what's easy....
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 06:41 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 PITCH BLACK, MUTH Mirrors, BGH Tips, Eibach's, Pioneer Navigation, Old school flames, air horns
Garage
Never have any issues with the bra. Have it on for any road trip without paint damage or ďride upĒ. Entire grille is open as well. As I travel across from Ohio to Nebraska itís been great, even on the gravel roads. Use a clear film on the rear fenders also and love them.
Joshvette likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in